• Johansen Lucas

• Alexeyev Alexander

• Fehérváry Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This was always interesting to me in that you would figure the opposite should be true. There should be more right shooting defenders than LD since righties make up most of the human population.

I started watching hockey later in life, but I grew up playing some lacrosse, and although you have to learn how to switch hands and sides constantly, the dominant side is always your natural handedness.

Couldnt even imagine going "goofy" as your main side, which I know hockey players do.

A right handed player with proper mechanics shoots left. You want your dominant hand on the top of the stick for the most power and dexterity. The lower hand is primarily acting as a pivot point. Many US-born players hold their stick the wrong way due to the influence of baseball.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
A right handed player with proper mechanics shoots left. You want your dominant hand on the top of the stick for the most power. Many US-born players hold their stick the wrong way due to the influence of baseball.

So exotic

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your suggestion rings a little hollow when you consider who Dillon has successfully partnered with in his career.

the guy is better, the end.

Is there some irrational Jensen dislike....not from me, but I’m sure from some yes, but the valid underlying reason is it’s a better hockey move. Still....I hope he partners with JC 74 ultimately on the way to Cup #2. Should be a great top pair.

Nah. Dillon is in another league than Jensen. I just think its ironic. I don't recall there being anyone suggesting Jensen be scratched last season. Its just that he is involved both ways.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah. Dillon is in another league than Jensen. I just think its ironic. I don't recall there being anyone suggesting Jensen be scratched last season. Its just that he is involved both ways.

last season Jensen hadn’t failed as their regular 2RD.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A right handed player with proper mechanics shoots left. You want your dominant hand on the top of the stick for the most power and dexterity. The lower hand is primarily acting as a pivot point. Many US-born players hold their stick the wrong way due to the influence of baseball.

Some truth in here but the idea the the power comes from the top hand is flat wrong, in all sports. In hockey, baseball and golf, the top hand (at the end of the stick/bat/club) is the anchor, the fulcrum if you will, and the hand in the middle applies the power, so a right handed person should get the most power using their right hand in the middle of the stick and the left as the anchor at the top - same exact thing in baseball and in golf.

Watch the flex of a slap shot in hockey, its the middle hand that is pushing the stick to bend while the top hand is acting as the anchor opposite the ice. FOr this reason, a right handed person should have the more powerful shot playing right handed hockey.

Dexterity and fine motor skills are a different question and for that reason, righty's who shoot left have a valid reason, but purely for power, shooting with the dominant hand in the middle is the proper method.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Want to see how Kempny does in the offseason to see what months of recovery can do, seems like his strength never came back to 100%

Would love to keep Carlson/Orlov/Kempny/Dillon/Gudas to start next season if the $$ is possible, aren't the Caps one of the cheapest defensive Top-6's? Not checking but i think they're under $20M where many other teams are well over $20M for their Top-6 D

Wasted so many years of OV-era with weak defensive core until Niskanen/Orpik made it formidable

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Want to see how Kempny does in the offseason to see what months of recovery can do, seems like his strength never came back to 100%

Would love to keep Carlson/Orlov/Kempny/Dillon/Gudas to start next season if the $$ is possible, aren't the Caps one of the cheapest defensive Top-6's? Not checking but i think they're under $20M where many other teams are well over $20M for their Top-6 D

Wasted so many years of OV-era with weak defensive core until Niskanen/Orpik made it formidable

There is no Niskanen between Kempny, Dillon and Gudas. That's the problem they are trying to solve right about now.

Niskanen fixed many things. He's universal soldier. None of those three are.

Reactions: txpd and Langway

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Some truth in here but the idea the the power comes from the top hand is flat wrong, in all sports. In hockey, baseball and golf, the top hand (at the end of the stick/bat/club) is the anchor, the fulcrum if you will, and the hand in the middle applies the power, so a right handed person should get the most power using their right hand in the middle of the stick and the left as the anchor at the top - same exact thing in baseball and in golf.

Watch the flex of a slap shot in hockey, its the middle hand that is pushing the stick to bend while the top hand is acting as the anchor opposite the ice. FOr this reason, a right handed person should have the more powerful shot playing right handed hockey.

Dexterity and fine motor skills are a different question and for that reason, righty's who shoot left have a valid reason, but purely for power, shooting with the dominant hand in the middle is the proper method.
The power of a shot in hockey comes from the stick flexing through the lower hand. The weight of the player causes the stick to flex and drag on the ice, and the elasticity of the stick then adds significant velocity to the shot. This isn't really based on the strength of the dominant hand being lower on the stick, since the lower hand is the one acting as the fulcrum. The stick pivots through the lower hand.

The very last couple shots in this video really show it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad