LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There's obviously a heated debate here on whether size matters. I think it does (D zone) and doesn't (o zone). Specifically because he is a defender. Watching last night's game, Hutson is a wizard on the puck and had an incredible possession game, finding threats with Macklin and his own play. I was super impressed.

He also got manhandled on rushes the other way and took two penalties exactly because he was too small to maintain body position while defending... Against bigger college kids.

He could definitely be an NHL defender and he could score 65 points. He could also be a major liability in his own zone and that could hurt the team significantly, especially in the playoffs.

Yes, Quinn Hughes, etc... These are exceptions, not the rule. There are also many more examples of skilled small defensemen who are not Quinn Hughes and who aren't able to hold their own on a top or middle pair on a cup contending team. Girard is even one of these examples.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The thing with Hutson is that raw, he'll be a 3rd pairing D-man and PP QB. However, with further development on his skating and adding mass, he could be a top pairing guy. The Habs have shown great emphasis on development recently, especially with Slaf who was a big project coming in, so I'm more optimistic on Hutson working towards his ceiling given that he will be provided all the resources.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
BU Coach Pandolfo on Hutson's performance vs. Minnesota:
“He was excellent tonight. Maybe the best game he played all year. He was really good for us. He was driving play, he was doing a bit of everything tonight." Just gives our group confidence. When we see him making plays like that and moving like that, we’re pretty sure we’re going to have a pretty good night."

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
The thing with Hutson is that raw, he'll be a 3rd pairing D-man and PP QB. However, with further development on his skating and adding mass, he could be a top pairing guy. The Habs have shown great emphasis on development recently, especially with Slaf who was a big project coming in, so I'm more optimistic on Hutson working towards his ceiling given that he will be provided all the resources.

St. Louis is a godsend for this organization. A+ skill, A+ mind for the game, and an A+ communicator.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Voted NCAA’s top puck moving dman!

I guess that puts to bed the Seamus Casey vs Hutson debate!
Voted best NCAA PMD by SportsLogic which is based in...Montreal, Quebec.

Grats on trying to stir a Casey vs Hutson debate with Whiskey who hasn't brought up Casey since Mid January and by other Devil fans since August 2023?

Why not just celebrate Hutson instead of trying to use it as a weapon?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yes
He’ll be 10.2 though

If he plays in one of montreals final games this year he won't be.

Since he's 20 years old, just 1 NHL game is all it takes to accrue a season.

Unless I'm mistaken, he'll be a normal RFA similar to Luke Hughes at the end of his deal

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If he plays in one of montreals final games this year he won't be.

Since he's 20 years old, just 1 NHL game is all it takes to accrue a season.

Unless I'm mistaken, he'll be a normal RFA similar to Luke Hughes at the end of his deal
That’s what I mean
He accrues a season in just one game
10.2c is what he will be at the end
So no arbitration rights
And no offer sheets

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That’s what I mean
He accrues a season in just one game
10.2c is what he will be at the end
So no arbitration rights
And no offer sheets

Ahh my mistake.

I was confused about the impact of playoff games on years of professional experiece (was using Luke Hughes as my reference for an ELC signed at the end of the year and the playoffs got him to a year of experience).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ahh my mistake.

I was confused about the impact of playoff games on years of professional experiece (was using Luke Hughes as my reference for an ELC signed at the end of the year and the playoffs got him to a year of experience).

Its the best case scenario for montreal
even though offer sheets are rare, there is no chance of them, and no arbitration.
he gets hi $98k signing bonus now or im presuming in the next couple days if he signs.
and one in July, so roughly $200K to enjoy his summer
and if he turns out to be amazing you guys can technically start negotiations next summer but i doubt it.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Tough play by Hutson last night that cost BU big time. Looks like he heard footsteps and didnt want to get plastered on the boards. Great season though. My NHL concern for Hutson is he doesnt have the evasive , elusive board play and acceleration boost out of danger areas that Quinn Hughes and other elite smaller Dmen posses that prevents Forwards from decapitating them. I think Hutson has a lot of NHL transferable skills but I just dont think he will be in the elite puck mover company.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Tough play by Hutson last night that cost BU big time. Looks like he heard footsteps and didnt want to get plastered on the boards. Great season though. My NHL concern for Hutson is he doesnt have the evasive , elusive board play and acceleration boost out of danger areas that Quinn Hughes and other elite smaller Dmen posses that prevents Forwards from decapitating them. I think Hutson has a lot of NHL transferable skills but I just dont think he will be in the elite puck mover company.

Looks like a carbon copy of how the habs dmen play in there own end this year , he will fit right in!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Here we go! One of my favorite prospects on the planet, even as a Leafs fan. This kid is going to make the Habs exciting again, which is good for hockey. I wonder what number he's going to take? Obviously not 20. I know he's rocked 85 and 81 in two consecutive camps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad