LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He will be a high event player his entire career. Lots of GF, lots of GA. If he can be a dynamic PP1 guy its still all worth it at the pick they got him.
He needs a safety valve. Preferably a bigger guy that can skate and that is sound in his own zone. Will need to play down in the lineup as well. Can be a good player in today's NHL though.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
First 3 shifts are a great example of Lane Hutson.

He made an awesome play at the blue line for his first point, and then got completely lost in his own zone, leading to a goal against.

He's gonna be on the ice for a lot of goals in his career, for both teams lol.

They're not an example of anything. He hasn't had a full practice in and had to play man on man, in his first NHL game. What an awful post.

UnimatrixZero

Dec 7, 2019
The Kid will be alright - Larking got a step on him - he will recognize players only need half a step at this level... easily correctible just has to react faster and think D first. The OT goal also was that half step and getting back sooner but I dont blame him for that goal as to he had a good chance and could have ended it himself. Over all good game for being thrown right in.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Seemed like he was bound to play in the AHL next season but he looks ready for the NHL in his first game.
First 3 shifts are a great example of Lane Hutson.

He made an awesome play at the blue line for his first point, and then got completely lost in his own zone, leading to a goal against.

He's gonna be on the ice for a lot of goals in his career, for both teams lol.
Are you kidding me? you're blaming that goal on Hutson?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So you've never watched Hutson before tonight? His defensive issues aren't some new thing lol.

It's an assinine take. You either don't know much about hockey or it was a take driven by an agenda. I don't care which it is. This was a classic case of a player who didn't get a practice in and had to get used to a new system in his first NHL game. Robidas talked to him on the bench afterwards and it wasn't an issue the rest of the game, where the coaching staff played him for 21 minutes. That kind of positioning wasn't an issue at BU, what are you even babbling about.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's an assinine take. You either don't know much about hockey or it was a take driven by an agenda. I don't care which it is. This was a classic case of a player who didn't get a practice in and had to get used to a new system in his first NHL game. Robidas talked to him on the bench afterwards and it wasn't an issue the rest of the game, where the coaching staff played him for 21 minutes. That kind of positioning wasn't an issue at BU, what are you even babbling about.
Yeah, I'm the one with an agenda.

His defensive play is a serious weakness, I can't believe that's even controversial. I'm sure he'll improve.

Are you kidding me? you're blaming that goal on Hutson?
So you don't think he pushed up too far? Man some of you guys are sensitive.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

His defensive play is a serious weakness, I can't believe that's even controversial. I'm sure he'll improve.

I think they were all a little deep, Anderson didn't cover for Hutson very well and his defense on Larkin was very passive. If the Habs need to put Anderson out there in OT they have worse problems then Hutson.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
Yeah I don't know why people talk about is skating. They clearly didn't watch him. Is skating is really good. And is def play is not bad at all. Way overblow just because he's small.
Everything is amplified with this player good and bad.. he had a good 1st game all things considered and importantly he attracts eyeballs. Huston is entertaining to watch.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

He pushed up too far, but he was probably just used to the system at BU. It wasn't an issue the rest of the game.

The OT winner he took a risk and it didn't pay off, main issue on that play was no one covering for him.

Honestly he's never gonna be Lidstrom defensively but nothing I saw from him tonight worried me.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think they were all a little deep, Anderson didn't cover for Hutson very well and his defense on Larkin was very passive. If the Habs need to put Anderson out there in OT they have worse problems then Hutson.
I was referring to the first wings goal

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He’s amazing with the puck.
He’s a nice skater
Sees the ice so well
He’s super weak
Terrible in the dzone
Will create a ton of goals against

Fun player to watch.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He’s amazing with the puck (sure is)
He’s a nice skater (straight line nice, lateral elite)
Sees the ice so well (and not afraid to make quick passes)
He’s super weak (fair....last night did a good job of using what little of his body he has. no hesitation)
Terrible in the dzone (terrible is strong, but certainly has work to do)
Will create a ton of goals against (he reminds me of PK. Hold your breath when he starts dangling near the blue line)

Fun player to watch.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Decent first game for Hutson. He was out of place a couple of times that led to goals/scoring chances but nothing that can’t be improved. His skating was better than I expected. His gap control and stick work was meh but not as bad as I expected

He looks good at evading forecheck as well and doesn’t panic when he gets pressured. Once he clean up his positioning and learn how to use his stick to its advantage (without the puck/defensively) then I could see him becoming a lite version of Makar and Hughes

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad