LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
His brother grew to 5'11 between the ages of 19 and 20. There's still hope damnit !
Did he I didn't know lol that is rare but happens. If I recall Keith Primeau did something like that, was he not 6'3" when drafted and grew to 6'5" by 20?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Did he I didn't know lol that is rare but happens. If I recall Keith Primeau did something like that, was he not 6'3" when drafted and grew to 6'5" by 20?

Sammy Blais was like 5’9 160 and ended up 6’2 210 (hes prob a bit shorter than 6’2 tho)

• Wow
Reactions: abo9

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Reactions: SlafySZN and Wats

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Surely reminds me of '2022 Zellweger'' in the draft :laugh:

Really hope he succeeds, sounds like he is filled with determination.

Reactions: Wats

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Surely reminds me of '2022 Zellweger'' in the draft :laugh:

Really hope he succeeds, sounds like he is filled with determination.
Zellweger without the Zellwagon body (I don't think Hutson will ever be anywhere close to have solid Zellweger is right now; Hutson frame doesn't look like it from what I have seen). Zellweger is built like Rossi a bowling ball. Hutson might be more creative though.

Reactions: Kalv

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Jesus Christ, I’ve seen bigger legs dangling out of a nest!!
Now contrast with Marty St. Louis:
martin-st-louis.jpeg

Huge fan of Hutson though and hope they get him in front of a squat rack. Would love to see him make it in the show.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah and Spurgeon is known for being a good defender. Hutson is not. Its an area in his game he will really have to work on if he wants to make it.
That’s not exactly true. Hutson is good defensively for his size and for a player that is an offensive rover.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
That’s not exactly true. Hutson is good defensively for his size and for a player that is an offensive rover.
Agreed - it may be a bit unorthodox but he gets the job done surprisingly well more often than not.
I don’t know how it’ll translate to the pro game because I’ve never quite seen a player defend like he does and get results as frequently as he does however. It’s like he is better defensively when he is “beat” than when he isn’t.

I probably posted it here, but there is one play that is ingrained in my mind where his is muscled off the puck by a bigger forward and he loses his balance and falls, but as he is falling he reaches around the forward with his stick and pokes the puck away from the forward all in fluid motion like he’s done that hundreds of times. He then quickly got up and carried the puck into the offensive zone for a good scoring chance for his team.

I’ve been a believer in his game because of that play alone - he makes plays like this all the time in the defensive zone, obviously not as extreme as this example but where you think he’s beat but no his quick and accurate poke knocks the puck away and the puck is already going the other way up the ice.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Agreed - it may be a bit unorthodox but he gets the job done surprisingly well more often than not.
I don’t know how it’ll translate to the pro game because I’ve never quite seen a player defend like he does and get results as frequently as he does however. It’s like he is better defensively when he is “beat” than when he isn’t.

I probably posted it here, but there is one play that is ingrained in my mind where his is muscled off the puck by a bigger forward and he loses his balance and falls, but as he is falling he reaches around the forward with his stick and pokes the puck away from the forward all in fluid motion like he’s done that hundreds of times. He then quickly got up and carried the puck into the offensive zone for a good scoring chance for his team.

I’ve been a believer in his game because of that play alone - he makes plays like this all the time in the defensive zone, obviously not as extreme as this example but where you think he’s beat but no his quick and accurate poke knocks the puck away and the puck is already going the other way up the ice.
A small d-man better have well above average defensive hockey IQ, and be adept at stick lifts and poke checks, or he'll be a net liability.

Sounds like Hutson has learned that already, and not just thrived on skating and offensive ability alone.

Really rooting for this kid. Hopefully he hits the weight room hard. Another inch or two of late growth spurt wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Kimmo Timonen was listed at 5-10 and he is not. I am 5-10 and I stood next to him and he's 5-9 at best. If Hutson can compete and play decent D, he'll be a Shayne Gostisbehere type at worst.

Reactions: Kalv

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Kimmo Timonen was listed at 5-10 and he is not. I am 5-10 and I stood next to him and he's 5-9 at best. If Hutson can compete and play decent D, he'll be a Shayne Gostisbehere type at worst.
Ghost at worst? I like the kid, but I think his floor is lower than that. His floor imo would be not making the show at all. Which, like I say, I really like the player, but that outcome is not out of the realm of possibility.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He doesn't have Ghost's shot. Stylistically, he's a lot more like an Adam Fox (at least offensively). But doesn't defend nearly as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad