LD Jordan Harris - Northeastern Univ., NCAA (2018, 71st, MTL)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jack Dugan played for Providence College. Was Northeastern good last year? I don't remember exactly how they were doing. They did have Tyler Madden up front

D'oh, I got my wires crossed. Probably had Tyce Thompson on my mind who'll be in a similar spot shortly.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So technically he could just wait it out and become a UFA if he waits until August after his senior year?

Very surprised he didn't sign with the Habs to be honest. They were willing to burn the first year of his ELC too.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Beyond embarrassing for the Canadiens organization.

I don't think it's that bad, the ball was in Harris' court. Looking at it from the player's side:

- If he signed now, he would have gotten a 3 year ELC. If he signs next spring, he gets a 2 year ELC. The length is defined by the CBA, so Montreal couldn't do anything about that. Harris would more or less be in the same boat next year.

- For the player, it might come down to whether he'd rather spend 2021-22 in college or riding the buses in the AHL. For some, earning the paycheck would be a no brainer. For others, they don't put a price tag on the college experience. Over the years, you'll hear stories from the non-blue chip prospects (hockey and other sports) who later express regret about turning pro too soon. It would be interesting to ask a player if perhaps the Covid season just wasn't what they wanted their final memory of college to be. Some of the North Dakota guys could have turned pro after last year but they seemingly made a pact together to stick around for one more season.

Reactions: sharks9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think it's that bad, the ball was in Harris' court. Looking at it from the player's side:

- If he signed now, he would have gotten a 3 year ELC. If he signs next spring, he gets a 2 year ELC. The length is defined by the CBA, so Montreal couldn't do anything about that. Harris would more or less be in the same boat next year.

- For the player, it might come down to whether he'd rather spend 2021-22 in college or riding the buses in the AHL. For some, earning the paycheck would be a no brainer. For others, they don't put a price tag on the college experience. Over the years, you'll hear stories from the non-blue chip prospects (hockey and other sports) who later express regret about turning pro too soon. It would be interesting to ask a player if perhaps the Covid season just wasn't what they wanted their final memory of college to be. Some of the North Dakota guys could have turned pro after last year but they seemingly made a pact together to stick around for one more season.

What surprises me is that if Harris is that while Montreal has a lot of D prospects, they don't have really good LD's in the NHL. Does this mean that Harris doesn't believe he's better than our other prospects? From what I read on here he should be very good though

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
What surprises me is that if Harris is that while Montreal has a lot of D prospects, they don't have really good LD's in the NHL. Does this mean that Harris doesn't believe he's better than our other prospects? From what I read on here he should be very good though

The official story, which may be true is that he's a super education-focused kid and always intended to finish his degree. Apparently, like Jake Evans, he assures them he'll sign next year. We'll see.

I have to figure the organization's utter obsession with drafting D didn't help though. When you say their LDs aren't really good, keep in mind Romanov is an LD who is clearly a stud in the making. And Kulak is well ahead of any kids for now. But it's more about the prospects too. An awful logjam at one position. Harris was the safest best among them to make the jump first though. Now he puts himself in more direct competition with Norlinder and Guhle's timing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

We'll see how the roster shakes down after the Expansion Draft, but Montreal has Chiarot|Edmundson|Romanov|Kulak|Mete (RFA) for 2021-22. So those guys would have priority for NHL spots and Harris probably would have spent the season in the AHL. Chiarot and Kulak will be UFA summer 2022, so there could be a spot for Harris to earn for 2022-23.

If he signed today:
2020-21: ELC Year 1
2021-22: ELC Year 2
2022-23: ELC Year 3
2023-24: RFA

If he signs next spring:
2021-22: ELC Year 1
2022-23: ELC Year 2
2023-24: RFA

Just how the CBA is structured, Harris doesn't delay his ELC expiration by waiting another year.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The official story, which may be true is that he's a super education-focused kid and always intended to finish his degree. Apparently, like Jake Evans, he assures them he'll sign next year. We'll see.

I have to figure the organization's utter obsession with drafting D didn't help though. When you say their LDs aren't really good, keep in mind Romanov is an LD who is clearly a stud in the making. And Kulak is well ahead of any kids for now. But it's more about the prospects too. An awful logjam at one position. Harris was the safest best among them to make the jump first though. Now he puts himself in more direct competition with Norlinder and Guhle's timing.

Well Kulak should not be a big obstacle to overcome on the path to the NHL. That would speak volume on the quality of the players behind him.

I know they're prospects and all, just saying that if we have to wait until they're at 25 to be "as good" as Kulak, it's not gonna be exciting

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Oh, I'm not saying Kulak would be a long-term obstacle. Just that there are LD on the roster right now who would be hands-down ahead of Harris for at least a year or two.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If him be degree focused is true then good for him for finishing his school and I look forward to seeing him in Montreal if not then I am saddened as I really like him as a prospect especially since he plays both sides of the ice.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I am very skeptical, as a Montreal fan, about the value of Norlinder, Harris and Struble. At best they will be defenders who will play a few years in 3rd pair for lack of anything better.

Guhle will take a place that's for sure; afterwards I will bet rather on Kostenko or Mailloux.

UED

May 2, 2021
I am very skeptical, as a Montreal fan, about the value of Norlinder, Harris and Struble. At best they will be defenders who will play a few years in 3rd pair for lack of anything better.

Guhle will take a place that's for sure; afterwards I will bet rather on Kostenko or Mailloux.
Yea as a Habs fan as well the hype around Norlinder and Harris boggles my mind. I doubt Norlinder ever even gets an NHL tryout, maybe a few games as an injury call-up, Harris might get a tryout but doubt he sticks, at best maybe like a Will Butcher. No thanks

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto

I agree with you about those 3. I’m not as high on them as other of Habs fans. Not sure about Kostenko but I am excited to see what Guhle and Mailloux can do.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I wouldn't say at best. At best one out of the 3 becomes a top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad