LD Jordan Harris - Northeastern Univ., NCAA (2018, 71st, MTL)

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
He's having a great year and like another former Hab prospect in Jake Evans, Harris has shown improvement in the NCAA year over year since being drafted which is a great sign. That said my main concern is if he wants to turn pro with us, or does he look at all those D prospects like Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Fairbrother and think his chances are better off somewhere without that depth. We'll find out in the coming months, if he signs then great, if not then we got problems.

If they offer to burn a year of his ELC this year, then he'd be smart to turn pro, no? I can't imagine waiting to go UFA is worth it compared to using up 2 years of ELC in the same timespan, unless he really really doesn't want to live in Canada

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they offer to burn a year of his ELC this year, then he'd be smart to turn pro, no? I can't imagine waiting to go UFA is worth it compared to using up 2 years of ELC in the same timespan, unless he really really doesn't want to live in Canada

we'll see what he wants to do. If I were his agent, I would be looking at all those young D, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Mete, Fairbrother and wondering if going to a team that lacks D prospects would be the better way to go. But hopefully they can get him signed and go from there.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
we'll see what he wants to do. If I were his agent, I would be looking at all those young D, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Mete, Fairbrother and wondering if going to a team that lacks D prospects would be the better way to go. But hopefully they can get him signed and go from there.
Similar thing happened with Flyers prospect Wyatt Kalynuk. Left school early but opted to sign with Chicago after seeing Flyers defense depth.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Similar thing happened with Flyers prospect Wyatt Kalynuk. Left school early but opted to sign with Chicago after seeing Flyers defense depth.
How does this work? Can you sign if you leave school early?

Again I really don't love the NCAA rule of your a free agent if you stay for four years, whereas the European and CHL Prospects only become it if the team they're drafted by chooses not to sign them to an ELC. just my 2 cents though

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
How does this work? Can you sign if you leave school early?

Again I really don't love the NCAA rule of your a free agent if you stay for four years, whereas the European and CHL Prospects only become it if the team they're drafted by chooses not to sign them to an ELC. just my 2 cents though

I was mistaken, this is a little bit different because Kalynuk was drafted as a double overager. That was why he could leave school early and choose his team. This wouldn't apply to Harris. Harris would be able to sign with whoever after his 4th year of college I think.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Harris had 21 points in 33 games last year and 13 points in 39 games the year before. Now this year he has 16 points in 15 games. Last year he played for the States at the World Juniors and only registered 1 point in 5 games. Harris was also drafted #71 overall. As much as I think he is a good prospect he really should have no motivation for not wanting to sign with the Habs and becoming a UFA. It’s not like he will have too much negotiation power. He is far from a sure fire NHLer.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't think Harris is worrying too much about Fairbrother or even Struble or Guhle. He's closer than any of them. And Mete? I don't think he'd be a big concern either.

Agreed. In terms of LD Habs have pretty good opportunity. Edmundson is likely getting picked up on expansion draft and Chiarot only has a couple years on his deal. Mete's days are numbered. Romanov perhaps ahead and everyone else is behind In development.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Harris had 21 points in 33 games last year and 13 points in 39 games the year before. Now this year he has 16 points in 15 games. Last year he played for the States at the World Juniors and only registered 1 point in 5 games. Harris was also drafted #71 overall. As much as I think he is a good prospect he really should have no motivation for not wanting to sign with the Habs and becoming a UFA. It’s not like he will have too much negotiation power. He is far from a sure fire NHLer.

If he returns for his Senior year, he can become a UFA in August, 2022, most teams would likely be interested so he could pick where he wants to go. He's a lock to be an NHLer at some point, his mix of skating, mobility, IQ, poise, that should get him some NHL games at the least. He needs to get stronger, add mass but I'd be surprised if he's not playing NHL games within the next 3-4 years.

Hopefully the Habs can get him signed and it's all a moot point. Having him in Laval with his former goalie Primeau would be good to see.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully he signs at the end of this season and puts all this speculation to rest.

for sure and I wouldn't even call it speculation yet, since there's nothing that says he won't sign, just if I were him or his agent I would be looking at the situation closely.

Right now Nashville is in this very situation with an even better Hockey East defensemen in David Farrance, who if not for BU shutting things down 3 times this season and then getting injured, he imo would be the favorite to win the Hobey Baker or at least until Caufield went on a crazy hot streak. But Farrance who broke out in his Junior year, had an outstanding season and when he didn't sign, now he can become a UFA in August if he wants and if he does, I got to think EVERY NHL team will be in on him.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
he entered the weekend tied for 4th in points in the NCAA among blueliners despite playing 6-9 less games. His ppg puts him 2nd overall in the NCAA among blueliners.

so yes he's good. He needs to add some mass and strength but he's a high IQ player, great skating/mobility and poise.
Great thanks.

His team has been eliminated, Bergevin said he would get a contract to play professionnally this year after. So he's probably signing his ELC in the next few days.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
he entered the weekend tied for 4th in points in the NCAA among blueliners despite playing 6-9 less games. His ppg puts him 2nd overall in the NCAA among blueliners.

so yes he's good. He needs to add some mass and strength but he's a high IQ player, great skating/mobility and poise.

You’ve been speaking highly of Harris since day 1 I believe. If he does pan out, props to you for identifying him early as a good prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You’ve been speaking highly of Harris since day 1 I believe. If he does pan out, props to you for identifying him early as a good prospect.

yes I have. I watch a lot of AHL and NCAA for the Hab prospects so those leagues I know the best. What I saw first Primeau and then Harris do at 18 for each was very impressive when you put everything into context. That said we'll have to see what it leads to, but you don't often see 18 year olds with that kind of impact that aren't top 20 picks or even top 50.

Reactions: Lebowski

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Might depend on whether he wants to take one more crack at a National Title as a senior. It's too bad last year got canceled since Northeastern still had Jack Dugan and had knocked off top ranked Cornell (in a shootout). But I don't know what the college experience is like right now. Normally I wouldn't begrudge somebody for wanting to go back versus spending that year in the minors.

Edit: Whoops, got Northeastern and Providence mixed up.

If he were to sign now, he'd get a 3 year ELC as a 21 year old (CBA defines it by birth year) but he'd get a 2 year ELC if he signed next year as a 22 year old. So he wouldn't necessarily be delaying his ELC if he were to go back.

Last edited:

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Might depend on whether he wants to take one more crack at a National Title as a senior. It's too bad last year got canceled since Northeastern still had Jack Dugan and had knocked off top ranked Cornell (in a shootout). But I don't know what the college experience is like right now. Normally I wouldn't begrudge somebody for wanting to go back versus spending that year in the minors.

If he were to sign now, he'd get a 3 year ELC as a 21 year old (CBA defines it by birth year) but he'd get a 2 year ELC if he signed next year as a 22 year old. So he wouldn't necessarily be delaying his ELC if he were to go back.
Jack Dugan played for Providence College. Was Northeastern good last year? I don't remember exactly how they were doing. They did have Tyler Madden up front

Reactions: Brodeur

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020

Northeastern will not be a national title contender next year. If he does come back and not sign it would allow for him to become a free agent I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad