LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
If you don't think players are drafted on size alone, you need to go back and look at the NHL Draft from 1999 to the lockout. An embarrassing number of total plugs who happened to have size were taken. And yes, some in the top 10.

Don't be ridiculous - nobody is drafted in the first round on SIZE ALONE. Why do you think huge players get drafted in the third, fifth, seventh round, which happens every year? Big players who go in the first does so because they have something in addition to their size which merits taking them there rather than in later rounds where most big players go.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
If you're looking for a good read on Oleksiak's thoughts on his season and the combine, Andrew Weiss recently put together this piece on him.

Oleksiak on prepping for the combine:

My advisors have been great preparing me for the combine in both the fitness testing as well as the interviews. They say that the interviews are probably as important as the fitness testing and where you show your true colors and have given me kind of what to expect and have been throwing some questions at me that I might have to approach. Obviously you don’t know exactly what teams will be asking, but you can kind of get the idea of what might come up. Really it’s just a matter of staying physically ready, being confident, and being able to answer those questions. In terms of the physical side of the combine I also have a pretty good idea of what to expect since my advisors are pretty experienced with that side. I’ve run through all of the tests and I’ve been working hard with our Strength and Conditioning coach Dan Boothby in helping me get ready so I feel really comfortable about next week.

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/oleksiak-reflects-on-year-draft-combine/

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Oleksiak

I just came across Oleksiak. HUGE kid. Do you think he has Chara qualities? I haven't seen him play...just curious.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The guys on Pipeline Show said that some workout guru's at the combine said this kid could play at 270+ pounds. With his skating ability...could you imagine that? Wow.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
How does Oleksiak compare to Myers at the same age? I assume Myers was better, but how close is Oleksiak? Would he be too much of a reach at 11?

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
The guys on Pipeline Show said that some workout guru's at the combine said this kid could play at 270+ pounds. With his skating ability...could you imagine that? Wow.

I certainly wouldn't want to play against him... well, of course I'd play in NHL if offered, but... :laugh:

270+ is just outstanding, Buff is something around 265 pounds and he looks like a giant.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I certainly wouldn't want to play against him... well, of course I'd play in NHL if offered, but... :laugh:

270+ is just outstanding, Buff is something around 265 pounds and he looks like a giant.

And doesn't move like how Oleksiak could. I would actually like the Avs to consider taking this kid at 11th overall, especially if they take a FW at 2.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
And doesn't move like how Oleksiak could. I would actually like the Avs to consider taking this kid at 11th overall, especially if they take a FW at 2.

Agreed, wouldn't be a bad option at all if they'd pick Landeskog or maybe Huberdeau with the 2nd overall pick.

But what if Boston or Buffalo would take him? Imagine that he'd play with Chara or Myers, they could just spread their hands and no one could pass them, as they'd cover up the whole blueline. :naughty:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Agreed, wouldn't be a bad option at all if they'd pick Landeskog or maybe Huberdeau with the 2nd overall pick.

But what if Boston or Buffalo would take him? Imagine that he'd play with Chara or Myers, they could just spread their hands and no one could pass them, as they'd cover up the whole blueline. :naughty:

I doubt he will be much more mobile if at all compared to Big Buff if he reached 270

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Good interview, thanks.

Oleksiak sounds more like Hal Gill than Zdeno Chara. His coach was frustrated that he couldn't be meaner.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
To be fair, Big Z wasn't all that mean and physical when he was a youngster either. So it's a mindset that a young player can develop after they're drafted.

IkeaMonkey*

To be fair, Big Z wasn't all that mean and physical when he was a youngster either. So it's a mindset that a young player can develop after they're drafted.

Aint that the truth. I remember watching him with the Lowell Lock Monsters, used to love it when the Falcons played against him. He was a soft, slow moving cone. Honestly he served little to no purpose when he was in Lowell. Then he got on the wagon with conditioning and certainly turned into a more mean player in the transition to Ottawa.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I wonder if Jamie has made up his mind to (if asked) play for Canada or the USA.

I know he played for the US at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and was cut from the US team at the juniors but he still could play for Canada.

IkeaMonkey*

I wonder if Jamie has made up his mind to (if asked) play for Canada or the USA.

I know he played for the US at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and was cut from the US team at the juniors but he still could play for Canada.

That's certainly the $14.37 question surrounding this kid. Good thing it doesn't affect his stock any or he'd be screwed.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston

I think Oleksiak wants to play for the USA anyway, he's made a few friends on the roster. I also believe that Cronin, like many of us, had visions of Oleksiak breaking one of BC's undersized forwards in half crossing the blue line. Jamie's style is effective and should improve. As he assumes more leadership/confidence, one has to think the intensity level will increase as well. Another thing to consider is that this guy was a 17 year old for half the season last year in a league full of players that are allowed to start their freshman year at age 21.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

As of right now you'd have to think he's leaning towards Team USA. As you said, he's represented them in the past and he'll also be at the USA Summer WJC Camp and not Canada's. I'll be interested to see if Canada even pursues him any longer if he does indeed play at the USA Camp in August.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
As of right now you'd have to think he's leaning towards Team USA. As you said, he's represented them in the past and he'll also be at the USA Summer WJC Camp and not Canada's. I'll be interested to see if Canada even pursues him any longer if he does indeed play at the USA Camp in August.

Did Canada even invite him to their camp?

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Northeastern is in a prime spot to take the beanpot and look what happens the nhl comes in and screws everything up

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Wasn't Cronin suspended indefinitely earlier in the year, due to recruiting violations?

The situation to my knowledge is that an assistant coach sent one too many text messages to a recruit, and that Cronin was supsended along with him. I have no idea if Cronin admitted to or was found violating any rules, but he is responsible for his coaching staff.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No, they did not. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't invite him after the fact, but that would seem to be unlikely since he'll be at the U.S. camp and has a history with the U.S. program.

Do we even know if he was extended an invite by Canada?

Hockey Canada announced its invitees to its summer evaluation camp today at Oleksiak wasn't one of them. That doesn't mean however, that he won't be added at a later date.
There's apparently no firm timeline on when Oleksiak will make his decision. It could happen as early as today or it could wait until after the NHL draft, but at some point the big defenceman is going to have to make the choice between the Maple Leaf and the Stars and Stripes.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369217

Both parts are a bit vague. Was Oleksiak not invited by Canada because he had already accepted his invite to Team USA's camp? Was he not invited at all? Or was he invited and declined?

The idea that he could be added at a later date and that he could be making a decision soon leads me to believe Canada wants him at his camp and now he needs to see which camp he wants to go to because once he crosses that bridge there may be no going back.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Do we even know if he was extended an invite by Canada?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369217

Both parts are a bit vague. Was Oleksiak not invited by Canada because he had already accepted his invite to Team USA's camp? Was he not invited at all? Or was he invited and declined?

The idea that he could be added at a later date and that he could be making a decision soon leads me to believe Canada wants him at his camp and now he needs to see which camp he wants to go to because once he crosses that bridge there may be no going back.

I seriously doubt USA Hockey would have named Oleksiak to the roster for the eval camp without getting some assurances from him or more to a point making certain assurances to him. I would say he's probably a shoo-in for the team. He almost made it last year. I should add that the two camps overlap, so I would think Oleksiak had to make a choice as to which one to attend.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad