LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Looking to gather a little more information on this monster of a prospect. 6-7, 244 per the Mid-term Rankings. Seems to be a pretty solid skater, who else can tell me somethings about him? And do you think he'll still be able to muster another inch or two?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Looking to gather a little more information on this monster of a prospect. 6-7, 244 per the Mid-term Rankings. Seems to be a pretty solid skater, who else can tell me somethings about him? And do you think he'll still be able to muster another inch or two?

Ive seen this asked a few times but havent seen an answer yet. Hopefully someone has a good scouting report on him.

Hollywood Bad Boy

Apr 6, 2009
I saw him play last year in the USHL level and quite frankly expected more. Yes, he's big but seemed a bit stiff and struggled getting to loose pucks and was inconsistent in delivering quality first passes. I want to see him this year to see how he's improved.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Oleksiak is getting better by the game. He just turned 18, so he obviously has his flaws, but after seeing his play night in and night out I can see why he is such a coveted prospect. He maybe has a inch more growth wise, and has decent puck skills for such a big, young player. Where he is climbing the ranks and makes the most difference is his defensive style. At the beginning of the year he wasn't very physical, but now is boasting an absolutely punishing physical game. Oleksiak leaves a good amount of opposing forwards on the ice. He's a very good skater, strong on the puck, has a hard shot, and makes sound decisions. If he is selected first round, he most certainly deserves it. I honestly think he will make some NHL coach or GM very happy someday.

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Jamie Oleksiak - Northeastern Huskies, Hockey East

The kid is 6' 7" and is considered a late 1st to early 2nd. Considered a physical puck moving dman.

He is a part of the tremendous freshman class at Northeaster University, here is an article on him....Article

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
would love if the oilers could take him with their second round pick or trade up into the first if possible. looks to have a ton of upside from everything i have read

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
This kid will go somewhere between 10-15..... if that goon Dylan Mcilrath went 10th overall last year ahead of Cam Fowler, surely someone will jump on this kid early... maybe even btwn 7-10...

Anyone hoping a team can grab this kid late in the first round/early second round is dreaming.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
This kid will go somewhere between 10-15..... if that goon Dylan Mcilrath went 10th overall last year ahead of Cam Fowler, surely someone will jump on this kid early... maybe even btwn 7-10...

Anyone hoping a team can grab this kid late in the first round/early second round is dreaming.

I don't know if he goes that early, but it's the talent package he has that makes him so unique and maybe a first round pick. I follow the hockey team at Northeastern very closely, and one thing you'll notice is his passing and puck protecting skills are way above what one would expect for someone his size and age. I just wish he'd use that rocket of a slapshot more, although it is a work in progress.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Jamieson Oleksiak (2011 NHL prospect)

Huge defenseman at 6'7, 240 lbs, plays for northeastern. First heard of him through ESPN. He could slide up the rankings.

What does everyone know about this guy?

Analyzer*

Heard he's a solid skater, great first passer and he's ahead of Tyler Myers in development at the same age.

Taken from hfers, cause he really is an intriguing player because he's already 240 and apparently skating isn't a concern.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2nd round pick...not enough upside to be a first-rounder might be the TINORDI of this year.

He might be this year's Tinordi in terms of style but he is likely to be this year's McIlrath in term's of where he goes in the draft. Guys like this which have one exceptional quality (in this case, size) generally go much higher than where U would expect them to go based on their overall talent. MacKenzie already has him at 23; by comparison MacKenzie had McIlrath at 15 and he went 10th.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Heard he's a solid skater, great first passer and he's ahead of Tyler Myers in development at the same age.

Taken from hfers, cause he really is an intriguing player because he's already 240 and apparently skating isn't a concern.

I hope so.... Maybe it offsets the American born playing for Canada, with a Canadian born playing with the US.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
He's arguably been the best defender for NU this season. And for a 17/18 year old to prosper in college hockey (full of older guys) you know he's good.

Has flashes of brilliance bringing up the puck from end to end. Uses his size and length well. Does make mistakes, but most people do.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I feel like Mayfield is just as much of an enigma. I should head out to Youngstown and check him out. It's only like 40 minutes.
Yeah you gotta wonder why the offense isnt coming for him since everyone seems to indicate he has alot of offensive skills. He seems to have a ton more filling out to do than Oleksiak and he looks like he is 13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad