LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
The old one seems a bit too old to bump, but I don't know if that's an issue for the prospect board or not. If not, sorry in advance, and if you don't mind merging the two, thanks.

Anyone seen him play a lot? He definitely seemed to have a great year, playing #2 behind Hamilton on Niagara. Just curious to see if anyone's seen him play extensively or not.

He definitely seemed to have a great year? Did you watch him play this season?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Well the Stars seemed happy with his season. I think he put up better numbers than people expected. Also the Stars owner says hes within have an inch of Chara heightwise so he must have done some growing.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Caught a couple Ice Dogs games this year, and Oleksiak was certainly a man amongst boys (literally).

Pros:

Seemed to have good mobility for his size
Good with his stick
Cleared the front of the net well
Decent-Good first pass

Needs improvement:

Needs to use his size more. Hamilton and Beukeboom were far more physical despite being smaller.
Shot had decent velocity(not as hard as one would expect from someone with leverage like he has) and it took a bit long to get it away

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
It's no surprise his stats took a huge jump once he joined Niagara.

I'd be more interested to see how people thought he looked when he was playing on that **** Saginaw team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Has been an absolute monster in the AHL so far. Very, very excited.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
He is huge but can he fight? I hope someone on Dallas kicks the **** out of Torres on his first day back

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's no surprise his stats took a huge jump once he joined Niagara.

I'd be more interested to see how people thought he looked when he was playing on that **** Saginaw team.

He seemed disinterested playing for Saginiaw, he got motivated and passionate when he was traded to Niagara.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He seemed disinterested playing for Saginiaw, he got motivated and passionate when he was traded to Niagara.

Where he was still kind of just meh:

As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, I found him to be very underwhelming.

He wasn't great in the playoffs.

By all accounts he's been great in the AHL so far, interesting to see how he is in the NHL.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm curious...

From all accounts, Oleksiak doesnt have a mean streak or great offensive skills, so inevitably, his game is going to be very non-flashy and subtle.

Are the 'meh' comments more about the wasted potential considering he isnt physical for a 6-7 ish guy or any notable high end offensive skills? Or was gap control and defensive reads were really juat average?

Because those are 2 different scenarios. The 1st woud make me frustrated but not too woried about his NHL future, while the 2nd makes me worry.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
I'm curious...

From all accounts, Oleksiak doesnt have a mean streak or great offensive skills, so inevitably, his game is going to be very non-flashy and subtle.

Are the 'meh' comments more about the wasted potential considering he isnt physical for a 6-7 ish guy or any notable high end offensive skills? Or was gap control and defensive reads were really juat average?

Because those are 2 different scenarios. The 1st woud make me frustrated but not too woried about his NHL future, while the 2nd makes me worry.

This is what I heard a lot too when we drafted him, but I've seen just the opposite from watching him in the AHL. The guy makes some fantastic plays to set up scoring, and that's where a lot of his assists have come from. So I'd probably say his offensive skills are a little underrated compared to what we all thought at first.

As for the mean streak, he doesn't carry one with him, but he's shown that he can get physical and nasty if other players make him. That Petrovic fight was a little example of that, after he made the big hit.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is what I heard a lot too when we drafted him, but I've seen just the opposite from watching him in the AHL. The guy makes some fantastic plays to set up scoring, and that's where a lot of his assists have come from. So I'd probably say his offensive skills are a little underrated compared to what we all thought at first.

As for the mean streak, he doesn't carry one with him, but he's shown that he can get physical and nasty if other players make him. That Petrovic fight was a little example of that, after he made the big hit.

I have no doubts he may have developed that since being drafted.

But really more interested in those initial reports from his junior play.

It is a nice way to gauge his development speed. Plus its damn interesting lol

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Oleksiak is currently 5th in AHL defensemen scoring. So much for no offensive upside.

Not expecting 50 points or anything but he's definitely playing likes hes got 10-25 upside.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
10-25 upside?

You're going too far in the other direction. I would say that's a fairly safe projection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad