LD Jamie Oleksiak (2011, 14th, DAL)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
we will see when the picks come out. and no one is guarenteed to be in the NHL they have to make it. What i said is he would have a better chance to make the US team which i think he would.

If you don't think Gudbranson is a lock for the NHL, then I don't know what else to say to you.

The kid was a lock last year straight out of his draft. The only reason he never played was because of his contract dealings. He's a lock for the NHL next season as much as any prospect right now.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I think he'll make the team. Theres an abundance of puck moving offensive defensmean on that list and not much size and strength. If he were to make a Canadian World Junior team this would be the year.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I think he'll make the team. Theres an abundance of puck moving offensive defensmean on that list and not much size and strength. If he were to make a Canadian World Junior team this would be the year.

it is his last year to make a junior team.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Hope Jamie makes it, would love to see a Stars top prospect on my countries team going for gold! I don't see why he won't make it though, every team needs grit and size on the back end and he's got it along with some offensive skills

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Could play in a Keith Aulie/Tyler Myers type role for Canada. Might sound weird to compare him to Tyler Myers but I believe Myers didn't play in any offensive situations for Canada he was purely a shutdown guy.

BBSeabs27

#freeseabs
Jan 27, 2011
Chicago
Jamie Oleksiak

What do you guys think his potential is? And is he a top-4 dman??

Also, any news on how training camp is going for him?

I've heard he is the next Tyler Myers, but I haven't really seen him play much so I don't really wanna go along with that.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
What do you guys think his potential is? And is he a top-4 dman??

Also, any news on how training camp is going for him?

I've heard he is the next Tyler Myers, but I haven't really seen him play much so I don't really wanna go along with that.

Oleksiak certainly has the size to be an NHLer right now, but he'll need to develop his skills more, and that will take some time. Also yes, he has the potential to be a team's top shutdown D-man either on the first or second pair. Defensively, he has the size and technique to be a nightmare for other teams. He does not have the offensive prowess of a Tyler Myers, but he'll be at least serviceable in outlet passing and carrying the puck into the zone. Oleksiak has a heavy but underdeveloped shot as of right now too.

As far as the development camp is concerned, I haven't heard much other than he is showing promise with his puck handling skills, and that he's trying to add the job of enforcer to his résumé. That being said, Jamie will probably have to wait at least a couple of years until he becomes a full-time NHL defenseman.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Everyone has been raving about his mobility and how the smoothness of his skating gives him the illusion of not being 6'7. He has really shown the desire and skill to carry the puck much more than most of us expected. I know people don't want to overhype him and make sure they toss out things about how he's not Tyler Myers, but Tyler Myers himself wasn't a world beater offensively until the season after he was drafted. Maybe Oleksiak never develops anywhere close to Myers offensive level, but it is very premature to be making such assumptions.

Point production during draft year for comparisons sake
Myers - WHL 19 points in 65 games
Oleksiak - NCAA 13 points in 38 games

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
ive always wondered, how does he compare to jared cowen? both big bodied dmen, who at the time of their drafts had an nhl body yet still needed seasoning.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
ive always wondered, how does he compare to jared cowen? both big bodied dmen, who at the time of their drafts had an nhl body yet still needed seasoning.

From what I've seen of Oleksiak, he seems more offensively minded than Cowen does. I think it's nonsense people say Oleksiak will only be a shudown defensemen, he's far better offensively then people give him credit for.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A total standout from what I've seen before. Elite skater for his size. Great range. Great puck moving qualities.

I wouldn't be shocked if he stuck in the NHL for next season.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
From what I've seen of Oleksiak, he seems more offensively minded than Cowen does. I think it's nonsense people say Oleksiak will only be a shudown defensemen, he's far better offensively then people give him credit for.

I always felt based on the scouting reports, and they all seemed to be in agreement...how was he not a sure top 10 pick. Never got to see him play to confirm it all.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, I think if Oleksiak develops an offensive side to his game, it'll only be an added bonus. I'm hoping he does become a top pairing shutdown man, and is paired with Goligoski for a long stretch of time. Won't really need an offensive game there, but it'd be very nice.

He's got some nice hands, especially considering he's a defenseman with that kind of stature. He just has to keep maturing and hone most of his skills before he should be considered for the NHL, though.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Dallas will not put him in the NHL this season or probably next. His going to juniors will help immensely with his defensive game as he tries to corral fast wingers turning the corner on him. He's two years away but that's not a bad thing as he physically matures and gets used to how to best use his big frame. Dallas won't rush him at all and now that they have pretty good defensive depth they don't have to either.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I saw his OHL regular season debut live tonight, he showed flashes of brilliance early as he has pretty impressive skills with the puck and can move for such a big man. But as the night wore on and the Knights started taking over he started looking over whelmed. The Spirit's defense in general don't look that great, great speed and skill up front but weak on the back end. Oleksiak's potential is there but don't expect him to take the Tyler Myers' developmental curve. I would be shocked if he makes a serious run at the World Unior team, Canada is always crazy deep on the back end.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I saw his OHL regular season debut live tonight, he showed flashes of brilliance early as he has pretty impressive skills with the puck and can move for such a big man. But as the night wore on and the Knights started taking over he started looking over whelmed. The Spirit's defense in general don't look that great, great speed and skill up front but weak on the back end. Oleksiak's potential is there but don't expect him to take the Tyler Myers' developmental curve. I would be shocked if he makes a serious run at the World Unior team, Canada is always crazy deep on the back end.

You'd be shocked a massive top 15 draft pick who skates great would make the World Junior team? Who do you thinks going to make it then. Oleksiak has a great chance to make the team, I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
You'd be shocked a massive top 15 draft pick who skates great would make the World Junior team? Who do you thinks going to make it then. Oleksiak has a great chance to make the team, I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

The World Juniors aren't about taking the best NHL prospects, it's about taking the best players that will help win the tournament. Oleksiak wasn't taken 14th overall because he was the 14th best hockey player at the time of the draft, it was because of his massive potential. He's still very, very raw. If you want names of who will make it ahead of him, check these thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=861315 and http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=934545

My seven defensemen would be something like: Hamilton, Murphy, Murray, McIlrath, Gudbranson, Pysyk and Petrovic. Then you can fill in with guys Morrow, Siemens, Bealieu, Percy etc. if say Gudbranson sticks in the NHL. Canada is always insanely deep with defensemen, Oleksiak is too raw to not find seven better guys right now IMO.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The World Juniors aren't about taking the best NHL prospects, it's about taking the best players that will help win the tournament. Oleksiak wasn't taken 14th overall because he was the 14th best hockey player at the time of the draft, it was because of his massive potential. He's still very, very raw. If you want names of who will make it ahead of him, check these thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=861315 and http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=934545

My seven defensemen would be something like: Hamilton, Murphy, Murray, McIlrath, Gudbranson, Pysyk and Petrovic. Then you can fill in with guys Morrow, Siemens, Bealieu, Percy etc. if say Gudbranson sticks in the NHL. Canada is always insanely deep with defensemen, Oleksiak is too raw to not find seven better guys right now IMO.

Gudbranson is all but guarenteed to make the NHL. Lots of people don't think MacIlrath is the type of player who makes WJC. Pysyk has age so he has an advantage possibly, Petrovic will have to work very hard to make the team. Not sure why Oleksaik is too raw, then you name someone like Siemens and Percy. Morrow won't make the team simply because of the fact he's an offensive defensemen and Canada has at least 3 of those in Hamilton, Murphy and Murray. Same with Beaulieu. Size is valued so much at junior tournments, I can't see Oleksiak not making the team, he's as good as any outside of the 3 locks (Hamilton, Murray, Murphy), and he's got the advantage he's huge.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jamie Oleksiak

The old one seems a bit too old to bump, but I don't know if that's an issue for the prospect board or not. If not, sorry in advance, and if you don't mind merging the two, thanks.

Anyone seen him play a lot? He definitely seemed to have a great year, playing #2 behind Hamilton on Niagara. Just curious to see if anyone's seen him play extensively or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad