LD Jack Rathbone - Harvard Univ., NCAA (2017, 95th, VAN)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Hi People

I was not sure where to put this, and would like to get some feedback from those Posters that are really up on LHD Jack Rathbone who plays at Harvard.

What I am particularly interested is how Rathbone compares at the same age to Adam Fox and John Marino, not that I think he is as good, but how close is he to their ability at the same age?

I thought, you all, would be better to answer...…...Thanks.

(Mods - if you would rather this thread be in a different spot, please move it, but please don't burry it. Thanks)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's an incredible skater. he is able to score ppg at the ncaa level and he has a decent toolbox but he does not show elite offensive talent. he's not tall but he is built solid. he seems to have a great attitude and is likeable. he also seems like a bright kid.

i'd say he's a good bet to get a shot in the nhl on his skating alone. i have no idea if he will be offensive dman or an all rounder though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
he's an incredible skater. he is able to score ppg at the ncaa level and he has a decent toolbox but he does not show elite offensive talent. he's not tall but he is built solid. he seems to have a great attitude and is likeable. he also seems like a bright kid.

i'd say he's a good bet to get a shot in the nhl on his skating alone. i have no idea if he will be offensive dman or an all rounder though.
I thought he kept failing high school?? Or am i thinking of another of our American prospects?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I thought he kept failing high school?? Or am i thinking of another of our American prospects?

He stayed to play in his high school league an extra year so he could stay close to his brother who I believe has autism, or is on the spectrum.

For whatever it’s worth, by the numbers, he is rated to be the d-man in the Canucks organization with the highest probability of success (ahead of Juolevi, Woo, Rafferty).

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Fantastic D prospect!

I think he’s a Vancouver’s 2nd best prospect behind Podkolzin who has legitimate #3D upside who can anchor a second pair one day.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was ready for the next step, so I'm eager to see how he does professionally. He's an exciting prospect who's gone under the radar outside of Vancouver. He was excellent at Harvard and has an intriguing skill set. Vancouver must be pumped to not have to worry about it him bolting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stardustforever

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
From the handful of times I watched Harvard on TV (plus the random game I attended when they played Arizona State at the Ducks practice rink in December), I liked what I saw from Rathbone. Seemed like a jack of a trades type of D, could do a little bit of everything. I would think he'd need a year in the AHL, but I would have said the same about John Marino.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Rathbone had a great start to his pro career tonight. He finished the game with 3 assists and 3 shots in a 7-2 Utica Comets win. I watched a few of his games at Harvard and loved everything about him so it's great to see him being able to do it at the AHL level as well (all be it in just one game so far).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rathbone had a great start to his pro career tonight. He finished the game with 3 assists and 3 shots in a 7-2 Utica Comets win. I watched a few of his games at Harvard and loved everything about him so it's great to see him being able to do it at the AHL level as well (all be it in just one game so far).

was hoping this one flys under the radar. Last thing I want is some fan with a burner account accusing Canuck fans of over hyping their own prospects.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
was hoping this one flys under the radar. Last thing I want is some fan with a burner account accusing Canuck fans of over hyping their own prospects.
Hes the next Quinn Hughes but taller, heavier, orange hair and a better shot :yo:

His skating is even better than QH :yo:

Reactions: Love

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Nice.

Considering getting AHLTV to keep tabs on Jack.

Would be huge if the Canucks could get another top 4 defender from in house, (then maybe get one on the cheap from a team about to lose one in expansion) so they don’t have to overpay another UFA.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1f55982d-cc7e-453b-a19c-7143430f2098-gif.393242

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Rathbone is insanely underrated. I'm still shocked he didn't get a game or two in with the Canucks. Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi on the left side is solid. The Canucks just need to have three solid defensive defensemen on the right side.
Jack has looked fantastic and him and Woo have great chemistry so far. He also looks good on his off-side which is a plus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad