LD Daniil Misyul (2019, 70th, NJD)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Does that signal to you he wants to play in North America after that? A one year extension seems a bit odd.

I think it is a bit early to think of it as a somekind of a signal, I think the reason here is the salary cap and that Misyul is exempt from it this season. So likely Lokomotiv just offered him a good chunk of money this year, but as a return wanted to have him at lower salary for a couple of remaining contract years. And since it is just one more year than it was before, I'm not surprised that Misyul agreed.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think it is a bit early to think of it as a somekind of a signal, I think the reason here is the salary cap and that Misyul is exempt from it this season. So likely Lokomotiv just offered him a good chunk of money this year, but as a return wanted to have him at lower salary for a couple of remaining contract years. And since it is just one more year than it was before, I'm not surprised that Misyul agreed.

He has a pretty easy path to the NHL with NJ. I would think that attractive to an overseas player.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He has a pretty easy path to the NHL with NJ. I would think that attractive to an overseas player.

He still needs to be ready for the easy path too, not to mention that in 2 years that were remaining on the previous contract the situation might change too. So in the end I kind of don't think here it matters too much if he has 2 or 3 years remaining, but to be able to make decent money right now might actually matter.

My3Sons

Sponsor
He still needs to be ready for the easy path too, not to mention that in 2 years that were remaining on the previous contract the situation might change too. So in the end I kind of don't think here it matters too much if he has 2 or 3 years remaining, but to be able to make decent money right now might actually matter.

Thanks for keeping those of us in the west informed of the Russian prospects. It’s obviously a labor of love for you. Much appreciated.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Now I hope we get Drysdale/Sanderson. Hopefully we are contenders when he comes over here. Dont want to wait 3 years to see him play here . Seems like he can be a good top 3 or 4 d man.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Not sure I'd agree with the "easy path" theory. While the current Devils roster isn't all that impressive the team does have two of the more promising LD prospects (Smith and Bahl) on the way and another (Okhotyuk) lwho has potential. Further, after shedding salaries it is likely they add at least one or two free agents.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Not sure I'd agree with the "easy path" theory. While the current Devils roster isn't all that impressive the team does have two of the more promising LD prospects (Smith and Bahl) on the way and another (Okhotyuk) lwho has potential. Further, after shedding salaries it is likely they add at least one or two free agents.

Edit: The left side of the NJ defense is wide open and Smith may prefer playing in the right side. I expect they’ll sign a short term UFA stop gap but short of a surprising trade there will be good opportunity in NJ for a LD in the next two or three years.

Last edited:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Edit: The left side of the NJ defense is wide open and Smith may prefer playing in the right side. I expect they’ll sign a short term UFA stop gap but short of a surprising trade there will be good opportunity in NJ for a LD in the next two or three years.

Judging by the teams with cap issues and the pending expansion draft I'm thinking free agency could bring a bit more than stop gap.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Misyul won't be 23 until he possibly shifts to the NHL, which is quite discouraging unless he is a Team Russia (World Championship) type defensmen by then. I really liked his game at the WJC last year as well.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Misyul won't be 23 until he possibly shifts to the NHL, which is quite discouraging unless he is a Team Russia (World Championship) type defensmen by then. I really liked his game at the WJC last year as well.

Fair but its not like he's not developing right now. He already has nearly 2 full KHL seasons of experience and he's only 20. While its a couple years away, he could be *very* NHL ready by the time he's ready to come over. Then we'll look back and be grateful he stayed in Russia for a few years.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fair but its not like he's not developing right now. He already has nearly 2 full KHL seasons of experience and he's only 20. While its a couple years away, he could be *very* NHL ready by the time he's ready to come over. Then we'll look back and be grateful he stayed in Russia for a few years.
You worry his icetime will disappear if he doesn't sign an extension during the 21/22 season.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He is barely getting any ice time
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 2.19.40 PM.png

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What EXACTLY is discouraging about that?

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
You worry his icetime will disappear if he doesn't sign an extension during the 21/22 season.
Yes, just look at Podkolzin, who's barely playing and really not developing in Russia after he announced that he's leaving after this season.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yes, just look at Podkolzin, who's barely playing and really not developing in Russia after he announced that he's leaving after this season.
You are lying or just delusional if you believe this crap.

Podkolzin will be not developing IF he indeed leaves for NA(which is not certain at this point btw. He never said that.)

That he is barely playing is a lie.

He is developing just fine right now.

He is right now playing more than before his agent started talking about leaving and Podkolzin paddled back saying that he is going to decide after the season. So that he is somehow being punished(by being invited to the NT and given the A apparently?) is just another lie.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
You are lying or just delusional if you believe this crap.

Podkolzin will be not developing IF he indeed leaves for NA(which is not certain at this point btw. He never said that.)

That he is barely playing is a lie.

He is developing just fine right now.

He is right now playing more than before his agent started talking about leaving and Podkolzin paddled back saying that he is going to decide after the season. So that he is somehow being punished(by being invited to the NT and given the A apparently?) is just another lie.
Sorry, I should have made the fact that I am being sarcastic more obvious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad