LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I think he does. It's probably a minority oppinion among Avs fans.

I agree. I think they definitely give him 9 games until Cole/EJ are back for sure. I'd rather him return to junior if they're only going to play him 8-10 mins a night though.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I agree. I think they definitely give him 9 games until Cole/EJ are back for sure. I'd rather him return to junior if they're only going to play him 8-10 mins a night though.
If he makes the team he’s playing at least 20 min a might

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Too bad he played top pair all year then. It’s unreal how even Avs fans don’t understand Girard’s game and value.

Anyway, glad that sanity prevailed and all the rumors that the Avs were going to use 4th overall on a second line center were incorrect. I’ve been a fan of Byram for a long time and this was the best call at 4th. Byram is a great fit for the Avs and perfect partner for Makar. So excite.

Except... playing on the top pairing and being a top pairing Dman are most definitely not the same thing. It is funny how Avs fans dont understand Girards game. Like calling him a Top pairing Dman right now.

Anyway, back to the Byram conversation. It's really too bad the AHL isn't an option for him. I dont know if he's going to have a lot left to really learn and refine in the WHL, but I also dont really see much of a path to him in the NHL.

He's a LHD and right now the Avs have Girard, Zadorov, Cole, Connauton, Barberion, and Graves on the Left side. Girard/Zadorov/Cole especially would make it difficult but with the Connauton acquisition as well today it just becomes even more of a task to crack that Left Side.

He would have been perfectly setup to go down to the Eagles in the AHL and play on a pairing with Timmins all season long and perhaps get a couple injury callups. Really dont know what the Avs will do with him now.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Obviously you give him every chance to make the team, but the fact d-men take longer to develop typically and that he's a late birthday for his own class, I'd feel a lot better if he spent just one more year developing.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
If Barrie gets traded I think he will but if they keep Barrie I see him going back to Vancouver for 1 more year

I was watching The hockey news Colorado Depht chart and Byram is list def number 6. Do you think he will play all next season in the NHL ?

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Obviously you give him every chance to make the team, but the fact d-men take longer to develop typically and that he's a late birthday for his own class, I'd feel a lot better if he spent just one more year developing.
I agree. He plays a physical game but he isn't fully developed yet and since he has no more school he can use that time to workout and build up his strength and conditioning. It was a blessing that Makar was able to build his body over 2 years. Byram probably needs only one to be ready for the NHL. I also want to see him play for Canada in U20.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
With the Barrie trade I think the Avs are going to try very hard to get Byram into the lineup this year...

It's still difficult to do because we have a lot of depth at the NHL level, but I think they try and get him in as the #2 or #3 LD. Something along the lines of:

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Byram - Connauton/Rosen

As the starting group but when Cole gets healthy I'm not sure what they do then. Would not surprise me to see Zadorov traded yet either.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think Byram can play next season, but you'll probably need to ease him in. It'll be a learning curve for him but in the playoffs he looked like he was almost beyond junior.

Put him on a 3rd pair to start, with powerplay time, & see how he grows from there.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Agreed. For all his faults, the Avs are a much better team with Z in the lineup than without.
He seemed to throw Kane and tkachuk off in the playoffs. It seemed they were scared to cross the blue line with the puck when Z was on the ice

Reactions: missionAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
With the Barrie trade I think the Avs are going to try very hard to get Byram into the lineup this year...

It's still difficult to do because we have a lot of depth at the NHL level, but I think they try and get him in as the #2 or #3 LD. Something along the lines of:

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Byram - Connauton/Rosen

As the starting group but when Cole gets healthy I'm not sure what they do then. Would not surprise me to see Zadorov traded yet either.

Agreed. I'd start the year with

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Byram - XXX

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if after a month or two they switched to

Girard - Makar
Byram - EJ
Zadorov - XXX

EJ seems to get babysitting duty when it comes to the new kids playing in the NHL.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Kid is going to be an absolute beast. All year long I figured NJ would pick 3-8 and he was the only guy I wanted out of that whole group. Great regular season for Van and an incredibly impressive playoff run. Byram imo should have no issue with playing 2nd pairing minutes for the Avs this coming season.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Kid is going to be an absolute beast. All year long I figured NJ would pick 3-8 and he was the only guy I wanted out of that whole group. Great regular season for Van and an incredibly impressive playoff run. Byram imo should have no issue with playing 2nd pairing minutes for the Avs this coming season.
It’s been kind of a blessing losing the draft lottery twice to you guys. Byram and Makar going to be two high end d men for years to come. Although I wouldn t mind Hughes or Kakko either.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think they’ll need a good reason to send him down rather than vice versa. He has absolutely nothing left to prove in juniors. The AHL is where he’d be ideally, but since that isn’t an option, I think he’ll get a sheltered 3rd pairing role with some pp2 time.

Reactions: klozge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad