LD Arber Xhekaj - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2019 Undrafted Signed by Habs 3 y ELC)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

What a game from Xhekaj, 1g, 1a, 9 pims. He has stepped up with the loss of his D partner in Nathan Staios

The goal was nice but this actually wasn't his best game. Same goes for game 1. The dude just doesn't know any boarderlines. Zero discipline. Was lucky he was even allowed to play after that boarding in game 1. Game 2 was similar with far too many disciplinary issues. With Staios out already, he should know better. Luckily this time the Spitfires were less efficient on the PP. Still, he has to learn how to get his shit together. Also far too many giveaways when trying to make plays both in game 1 and game 2. Might be about time to start focussing on his hockey. There's a lot of work to be done. There's some talent but it's still all very raw.

I fear he might use his mind completely and be fully out of control playing in a hostile environment the next two games.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
This kid is pretty interesting. Raw, as many have observed, highly undisciplined and on occasion flat out dirty (who slew foots anymore?). But the skating, the vision and the shot are all pretty high level and I know he's old as dirt for the CHL but the physical package has the potential to translate to the pros. I have no idea of his mental make-up...Does anyway have any insights or anecdotes about the probability of Xhekaj actually putting it all together? The dirty stuff will not go very well in Laval, there are plenty of tough guys in the AHL who will dissuade that behavior but can he pull the rest of it together?

Reactions: Larry44

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This kid is pretty interesting. Raw, as many have observed, highly undisciplined and on occasion flat out dirty (who slew foots anymore?). But the skating, the vision and the shot are all pretty high level and I know he's old as dirt for the CHL but the physical package has the potential to translate to the pros. I have no idea of his mental make-up...Does anyway have any insights or anecdotes about the probability of Xhekaj actually putting it all together? The dirty stuff will not go very well in Laval, there are plenty of tough guys in the AHL who will dissuade that behavior but can he pull the rest of it together?
I don't think his skating is all that great. Solid for his size I guess but not his biggest strength. Vision could be better as well. Makes a lot of mistakes on breakout passes which I find disappointing.

Re the mental side, nobody knows I guess. Keeps on talking about wanting to change but it's not happening and I don't think he's ever gonna change. He doesn't necessarily have to but he has to find a way to not hurt his team when going crazy. So far the first two games against Windsor he wasn't particularly helpful for Hamilton which is disappointing. Knowing Staios is out he should have been smarter.

I definitely think he's gonna play NHL at some point if he learns to somewhat control his emotions. The talent is there but he's definitely gonna need quite some time in Laval. A lot of what he does in the OHL won't work playing against men so he'll have to adjust.

Tonights game will be pretty interesting to watch. Kammerer and Staios likely out so of the top4, probably only Xhekaj and Grushnikov in the lineup but the latter took several knocks already over the playoffs, can't possibly be at 100%. Tonights game is a back to back with travelling involved as well and played in a hostile environment. If Xhekaj can manage to get his shit together in this game it could be a major step forward. He could possibly play half of the game depending on score and who's in the lineup so he can't affort to bullshit around the way he did the last two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

That backhander was a great goal at the right time. He scores big goals, hammers the other team into submission and is a fan favorite for a reason. Wish the Flyers had signed him, but he'll be a Hab someday.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didn't lose his mind completely but played another rather poor game. Can't take 2 penalties with the top2 defenders out and the nr.4 hurting badly. It was a tough ask back to back but him and the other remaining Hamilton defenders clearly weren't able to hold it together enough to give the team a chance to win today.

Jul 6, 2016
Is there another Shejak type of player out there that Habs could sign as a FA (preferably a forward) ? Big, mean, who can skate and play well on a 4th line.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Played his best game of the series tonight. By far. He was really good. Staios probably told him to get his act together or get lost. Certainly, getting to play with Staios helped Xhekaj.

Reactions: montreal

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

1663524016424.png

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don’t care what he did today - he is the dirtiest player to come into the league in a long time.

He head hunts - it’s legitimately predatory - players like him shouldn’t be allowed to play in the NHL.
Good... It's actually nice to see a player that actually wants to battle and play hard. I know hitting and playing aggressive is unheard of now but it's a breath of fresh air to see someone still do it.

I've heard nothing but unreal things about this guy the past few days everywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00