LD Arber Xhekaj - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2019 Undrafted Signed by Habs 3 y ELC)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was going to include him in the 2nd/3rd thread but after reading more about him - and seeing a positive write up by Brock Otten - decided to start a separate thread instead.

A lot of things stood out - significant uptick offensively from basically nothing to 17 points as well as 88 pm. But the biggest thing that jumped out was a 54 point improvement in plus/minus — from -28 to +26.

Obviously, there are more than numbers — and defensive defenders like Dan Girardi were never drafted — but it seems like he might merit consideration in the later rounds.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
If he makes it, will be the first hockey player in history (possibly even in all major sports) with the letter ‘X’ as the first letter in his name to make the show, i’m definitely rooting for him!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Looks like an Albanian name but listed as Canada/Czech.

I can't say I know anything about him.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Looks like an Albanian name but listed as Canada/Czech.

I can't say I know anything about him.

Here's a quote from an article on Rangers website: "While he can thank his Albanian father for his surname, Xhekaj is officially a dual citizen of Canada and the Czech Republic due to his mother’s heritage"

The same article calls Czech Republic a Baltic country so there's also that :D

Mar 12, 2009
Having seen him play, his skating and puck handling and confidence shooting and getting it through has improved a lot. He's always been physical but one area that had started to become a problem was discipline, but that seemed to round out as the season went along. He seems to enjoy fighting and is solid at it. Real through back defender. Don't think he'll get drafted but I could see him possibly getting signed as an FA if his trajectory continues upward next season.

Reactions: Valeson81

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Having seen him play, his skating and puck handling and confidence shooting and getting it through has improved a lot. He's always been physical but one area that had started to become a problem was discipline, but that seemed to round out as the season went along. He seems to enjoy fighting and is solid at it. Real through back defender. Don't think he'll get drafted but I could see him possibly getting signed as an FA if his trajectory continues upward next season.

Thanks

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Having season tickets to the Kitchener Rangers I have watched him play live many times.

He was by far the most improved player on the Rangers. He has good size, a physical streak, can fight and has a decent slap shot.

Put it this way; he is my seven year old son’s favourite Ranger. He is fun to watch.

With today’s NHL at absolute max he could be a bottom pair physical defender. I think the game may be a bit too fast for him. Now if this was 1990’s NHL he would be much more highly sought after.

Reactions: llamateizer
Mar 12, 2009
congrats on signing his 3 year ELC with the Habs, has been loaned back to Kitchener today.
Excited that he'll be back. He's a tough customer. His skating made decent strides consistently over his first 2 seasons. His puck handling and passing improved very well over the two years, from lower than average at the OHL level to being quite solid and reliable. He's going to get good opportunity to work on his game in the offensive end of the ice. His defensive game is solid and his phyiscality is a major strength.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Toughest kid in the OHL. He just looks better every game that he plays. To be an invite as a free agent to Kitchener camp and make it…that’s a good enough story. Then he goes undrafted in the NHL and gets an invite to the Habs. Has a solid camp and earns a contract. Great story and if the kid keeps improving not a doubt in my mind he will be a NHLer one day. Been following the Rangers for 25 years and I can’t recall a player that just keeps getting better as much as him. He is a fan favorite in Kitchener simply for how hard he works. If I’m picking captain 100% I’m picking him for the Rangers.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Toughest kid in the OHL. He just looks better every game that he plays. To be an invite as a free agent to Kitchener camp and make it…that’s a good enough story. Then he goes undrafted in the NHL and gets an invite to the Habs. Has a solid camp and earns a contract. Great story and if the kid keeps improving not a doubt in my mind he will be a NHLer one day. Been following the Rangers for 25 years and I can’t recall a player that just keeps getting better as much as him. He is a fan favorite in Kitchener simply for how hard he works. If I’m picking captain 100% I’m picking him for the Rangers.
He looked good in montreal and played well in some exhibition games. Was very physical in a game vs ottawa.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Very happy for him. I liked him a lot during the rookie camp and pre-season, he was a good defender and was surprised there wasn't more buzz around him. I'll cheer for him to make it!

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Its actually very simple but very surprising. Jack-Eye. I don’t believe it but that’s how it’s pronounced.
The -eye part makes plenty of sense. The Xh surprised me at being a J sound.
The one that always got me in school was a kid whose last name was Jajcaj, but pronounced Jay-See. Eastern European phonetics, right?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The -eye part makes plenty of sense. The Xh surprised me at being a J sound.

I don't think it's exactly J; one suggestion I saw was like the dg in edge.

The one that always got me in school was a kid whose last name was Jajcaj, but pronounced Jay-See. Eastern European phonetics, right?

Virtually every Eastern European language has phonetic pronunciation and that's probably not how it's supposed to be pronounced in Czech/Slovak or whatever it was (j is pronounced like y in most Slavic languages, c like ts, and a like a or u depending on if it had a diacritic or not). Meanwhile, good luck to non-native speakers trying to guess how a random English name is pronounced.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I don't think it's exactly J; one suggestion I saw was like the dg in edge.

Virtually every Eastern European language has phonetic pronunciation and that's probably not how it's supposed to be pronounced in Czech/Slovak or whatever it was (j is pronounced like y in most Slavic languages, c like ts, and a like a or u depending on if it had a diacritic or not). Meanwhile, good luck to non-native speakers trying to guess how a random English name is pronounced.

It's Albanian, so the "xh" makes a "j" sound.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
He's already a fan favourite on HFHabs too lol. Hard working player with a great story.

All the way back to the St. Catharines Falcons l noticed a rookie with a name that l could not pronounce. So started to see even then he was aggressive, fearless but was young and had to develop on plenty of his game. TBH never thought he would make OHL. He proved me wrong, yet now I like the way he has improved and find myself following his career.
Congrats, keep up the good work.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4