LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
His skating is fine, but isn’t good by any stretch. Gets caught flat footed frequently edges need work for sure. When you need to put “for his size” when talking about his skating, he’s not a good skater. He’s a Logan Stanley like skater.

Simishev is an excellent skater, one i don’t know if we have ever seen for a defender his size. maybe Hedman is the closest comp? but it’s rare nonetheless
Silayev is an outstanding skater, his mobility is incredible for his size. I just finished to watch his last game and he was a stand out in about all facets of the game. His puck poise was awesome, decision making was quick and sharp, very solid at defending and sound positioning. His skating and puckhandling allows him to jump in the play with ease and come back on time to defend. hell its not junior level hockey, thats the f***ing KHL, the 2nd best skating league in the world. That kid looks like the real deal, he has everything including the IQ, his showing was more impressive than any games Ive watched from Jiricek and Reinbacher last 2 years and I had Jiricek 2nd OV, Reinbacher 4th on my respective lists. Your Logan Stanley comparison is laughable, sorry but I had to say that.

Grant McCagg just named Silayev as the #1 Prospect in his Draft Rankings for 2024 on YouTube
I agree with that, At least, without the russian factor, this kid is a serious challenger for 1st OV.

I would add that Im more impressed by Silayev than Power in his draft year.

Last edited:

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Silayev is an outstanding skater, his mobility is incredible for his size. I just finished to watch his last game and he was a stand out in about all facets of the game. His puck poise was awesome, decision making was quick and sharp, very solid at defending and sound positioning. His skating and puckhandling allows him to jump in the play with ease and come back on time to defend. hell its not junior level hockey, thats the f***ing KHL, the 2nd best skating league in the world. That kid looks like the real deal, he has everything including the IQ, his showing was more impressive than any games Ive watched from Jiricek and Reinbacher last 2 years and I had Jiricek 2nd OV, Reinbacher 4th on my respective lists. Your Logan Stanley comparison is laughable, sorry but I had to say that.

I agree with that, At least, without the russian factor, this kid is a serious challenger for 1st OV.

I would add that Im more impressed by Silayev than Power in his draft year.
I compared his skating to Logan Stanley if you decided to read my post correctly, not to Stanley as a player. He is not a good skater, he is an average skater, needs to work on his edges, he often time gets caught flat footed, and isn’t able to pivot quicly enough to stop some chances In transition. His breakout game can use some work and his first pass isn’t great. there is a lot this player needs to work on. Don’t get caught up on just the “points” watch some full-game film

I think that if you’re talking about him contending to go #1 you’re going to be wrong about the player. Size is great, but when. Player doesn’t use that size in any meaningful way, he’s going to have trouble at the next level.

Reactions: WayneGretzky

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Bobby Mac (courtesy of scouts) on Silayev:

Perhaps the most flat-out intriguing prospect on TSN’s pre-season list is 6-foot-6, 203-pound Russian left-shot defenceman Anton Silayev. When TSN made its initial inquiries of the scouts on the Class of 2024, Silayev was nowhere to be found. But once the KHL started playing games in the last couple of weeks, scouts were scrambling to get a handle on the Russian behemoth who seemingly came out of nowhere to create seismic shock waves in the scouting community.

The scouting opinions on Silayev are all over the place. What we do know is that in his first four KHL outings he played close to 20 minutes per game and picked up four assists. Russian scouts immediately alerted their NHL teams to this larger-than-life surprise. Some teams have already done deep (video) dives on his KHL games — as well as looking back on what seem to be pretty non-descript scouting reports from last year — while others are just now coming to the Silayev party.

But there’s an incredible buzz about Silayev because, in an admittedly minute sample size, he does look like a prospect with all the tools to be a No. 1 NHL defenceman. But where on the pre-season list do you slot him, when some of the scouts we surveyed still haven’t watched him play and aren’t quite sure yet what to make of him?

Well, one scout said Silayev could eclipse Levshunov and Dickinson as the top D prospects in the draft, and he should be immediately pegged as a Top 5 pick. Some others said it’s way premature to even put him in the pre-season Top 10. But there were enough of our 10 scouts who believe he has tools that will allow him to challenge the Big D Three of Levshunov, Dickinson and Jiricek and, given his size, could already be eclipsing a gaggle of smaller, more one-dimensional offensive defencemen.

That would include, amongst others, 5-foot-9 1/4, 170-pound Finn Aron Kiviharju, who was pushed down to No. 10 on our list, effectively to make room for Silayev.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yet he comes out as #9 in Bobby Mac’s pre-season draft ranking.

Some of us have it, others (you) don’t.

Have what? What have you done for me lately mentality? I am sure McKenzie didn't have him ranked at all before KHL season started. This is a cheap hype after 4 games, let him play at least like 20 games before going crazy.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Have what? What have you done for me lately mentality? I am sure McKenzie didn't have him ranked at all before KHL season started. This is a cheap hype after 4 games, let him play at least like 20 games before going crazy.
Maybe you should hold off on the negative comments until you’ve actually seen him play.

So many armchair scouts that have never seen a prospect play that make their mind up from a stat sheet, me included ;)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Did anybody care about Carlsson before he started to play in SHL?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
And maybe you should hold off on the negative comments until you’ve actually seen him play.
I catched one Torpedo game this year. But before that yeah, I don't feel the need to watch every obscure prospect from Russia out there.
And the fact that the guy was absolutely not a first rounder before this season, and after 4 games he is suddenly "potential 1st overall", "easily TOP 5" etc is ridiculous. And it is not a negative comment, it is common sense.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Did anybody care about Carlsson before he started to play in SHL?
Strange example, Carlsson was way over PPG in J20 in his D-1 and had nice stats in SHL for a D-1 player. So yes, he was at least a TOP 15 guy a year ago.
Now, you can argue that he had big development between D-2 and D-1 season but that is a different situation obviously.

It can happen that a guy rises crazy in his draft year, Erik Karlsson for example did this. It can happen. But it didn't happen after 4 games.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Btw, while we are at it, where is the thread about future TOP 5 overall in 2024 Nikita Artamonov?
3 pts in 4 games in KHL, looking like he will crush "the best season evar" from Michkov!

I mean, this guy def was not considered to be anything special. There are 2006 born players who had similar stats in MHL last year, and those are not Michkov-Svechnikov level prospects either.

We can also create a thread about Oscar Vuollet as a TOP 5 player for this year. I mean, 3 games in CHL 2 pts. Against men!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Btw, while we are at it, where is the thread about future TOP 5 overall in 2024 Nikita Artamonov?
3 pts in 4 games in KHL, looking like he will crush "the best season evar" from Michkov!

I mean, this guy def was not considered to be anything special. There are 2006 born players who had similar stats in MHL last year, and those are not Michkov-Svechnikov level prospects either.

We can also create a thread about Oscar Vuollet as a TOP 5 player for this year. I mean, 3 games in CHL 2 pts. Against men!
Please find a comparable defender that has done something like this in his draft year… it’s not unrealistic to pencil him in the top 5-10

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Please find a comparable defender that has done something like this in his draft year… it’s not unrealistic to pencil him in the top 5-10

People need context like

It's early but

Imagine how high Simashev was and the hype around him - this guy has already outproduced him and made his way much higher in the lineup, in 5 games, and is 6 foot 7 lol

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
And what has he done?

People need context like

It's early but

Imagine how high Simashev was and the hype around him - this guy has already outproduced him and made his way much higher in the lineup, in 5 games, and is 6 foot 7 lol
Lokomotiv and Torpedo are very different teams aswell

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Ah what a surprise. Nothing under the bridge today ?
No arguments as usual. "Talk about top 5 for a guy whom nobody even considered to be much of a prospect 2 weeks ago is premature", some heavy trolling for sure!

Tell me, why do you think I am not coming to Demidov thread to say that he is not a first rounder?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
No arguments as usual. "Talk about top 5 for a guy whom nobody even considered to be much of a prospect 2 weeks ago is premature", some heavy trolling for sure!

Tell me, why do you think I am not coming to Demidov thread to say that he is not a first rounder?
Your participation on the site essentially amounts to belittling players of Russian and Belarusian nationality.

Demidov in the 1st round is such a no-brainer. Silayev was unknown until then because no one has access to Russian hockey outside of KHL/VHL/MHL.

But in general, a defender who has a full season under 18 in KHL - that's 1st round.

The idea of seeing him very high like Simashev last year is not surprising.

Silayev's profile is so rare.

Reactions: Fyodorov

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Silayev's untapped potential is insane. He's still fundamentally a big goofy giraffe on the ice with all these wonderful tools he has yet to put in the tool-box. All the same, he's performing at an immensely high level for his age (top 4 D minutes in the KHL). When his body fills out - look out.

And I'm not suprised he wasn't on the radar last year. Anyone have kids? A skinny 6-7 17 year old is about as coordinated as Manute Bol figure skating.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Agree with the potential, I was watching the points he scored and the defenders are just standing there like pylons in those clips playing beer league-level effort defense. I found this odd considering its the second best league in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad