News Article: Laz: Delia the forgotten man, stuck & not happy but not bitter

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A lot of people are turned away and bored by age old hockey culture say nothing interviews.

The dislike or hate here is funny. It's not like it was anything of a complaint or answering in some wanting the team to lose. A reporter who likes players who actually talk and not say boring repetitive things finally got to talk to one of the few who will talk openingly. That's how you interest people outside just the game.

probably more on laz for saying delia was cheated...how does that make colliton, bowman and even lank look, lank has played well and laz puts out a title that the guy getting no playing time was cheated, clearly not the case

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
A 3rd string goalie doesn't give interviews. He keeps his yap shut or says how grateful he is to work on his game with Hawks and great goalie coach Jimmy Waite etc., head down and works his ass off. When he is relevant, he can give interviews.

Of all the things to get your panties in a bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoist

Geoist

May 1, 2015
A 3rd string goalie doesn't give interviews. He keeps his yap shut or says how grateful he is to work on his game with Hawks and great goalie coach Jimmy Waite etc., head down and works his ass off. When he is relevant, he can give interviews.

Feel that way if you want, but what does not giving interviews have to do with mental toughness?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
imagine alot of 3rd string goalies are in flux this year as a result of the pandemic, some are likely feeling that there careers may be slipping away... one such example that must feel like that is Aiden Hill in Arizona, a guy who is stuck behind Raanta and Kuemper but has shown that he has the skill to perhaps develop into a bonafide NHL goalie...

poor guy, has the size and from what I see skill. just wasting away on a Taxi squad

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sure they do, they are interviewed in Rockford all the time.

And literally nothing you said here has anything to do with "mental toughness". Do I agree that maybe he should just be quiet and work on his game? Yes, but it doesn't signify a lack of mental toughness at all. He has made it this far, I think his mental toughness is fine.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Sure they do, they are interviewed in Rockford all the time.

And literally nothing you said here has anything to do with "mental toughness". Do I agree that maybe he should just be quiet and work on his game? Yes, but it doesn't signify a lack of mental toughness at all. He has made it this far, I think his mental toughness is fine.

He wasn't disciplined enough to keep his yap shut.
In a game where respect is a pretty big thing, that will not help his cause.

Why put a possible bad taste in any decision maker's mouth? No upside in that move.

I get that he's frustrated but keep it to yourself is the best course of action especially when one has ZERO leverage.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Why put a possible bad taste in any decision maker's mouth? No upside in that move.

I get that he's frustrated but keep it to yourself is the best course of action especially when one has ZERO leverage.

On the flip side, this is likely Laz going out and stirring up shit and creating drama. Delia should have likely responded with "It is what it is" but this is on the reporter for making a mountain out of a molehill more than anything.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There is no drama guys, that's all in your head.

If you have an issue with saying the truth by a guy on the bottom of the rung, you're the one probably having a mental toughness issue.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

If you have an issue with saying the truth by a guy on the bottom of the rung, you're the one probably having a mental toughness issue.

There is no upside for Delia to talk to Laz about his playing time...It didnt work for Seabrook, Jokiharju, Duclair or any other player that has ever talked to media about hawks decisions...Just keep it off the record, Laz is trying to generate content for his work, Delia is concerned about his career, their incentives are not aligned, there is no truth in saying Delia was cheated out of an opportunity and obviously Delia didn't say that exactly, Laz did, but his name is on an article with a reporter he did an interview with and its a bad look to question your employer through a public interview

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

We'll see how well that style works out for him.

We ALL knew the truth before he said it to an idiot reporter. There was NO NEED for Delia to say it. That's the point.

It's also the truth sometimes that your defensemen hung you out to dry. Want him to be honest and say that in an interview too?

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There is no upside for Delia to talk to laz about his playing time...It didnt work for Seabrook, Jokiharju, Duclair or any other player that has ever talked to media about hawks decisions...Just keep it off the record, Laz is trying to generate content for his work, Delia is concerned about his career, their incentives are not aligned

There is always an opportunity for someone to get into the news by saying something negative. In hockey, it’s even more extreme considering all media speak revolves around “we” and positivity. So the second a guy like Laz, who like you said wants to generate content, gets a whiff of something other than hunky dory speak — he’s definitely going to write it.

I don’t know whether this is dramatic or a sign of bad mental toughness, but Delia certainly made a decision to give these comments to Laz on the record — he knew they’d turn into a story like what was written.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There is no upside for Delia to talk to laz about his playing time...It didnt work for Seabrook, Jokiharju, Duclair or any other player that has ever talked to media about hawks decisions...Just keep it off the record, Laz is trying to generate content for his work, Delia is concerned about his career, their incentives are not aligned, there is no truth in saying Delia was robbed of an opportunity
I dont get why you attribute these assumptions of Delia in it. What do you mean work for these players? You think he thinks this will make him more likely to play? Why on earth would you think that?

If you wonder why Delia said yes. Sure because Laz probably asked several times. And he's not saying anything everyone there knows and it's not like he said anything negative or spiteful on the team.

I gues some people just like the culture of shut up and keep your head down. Well good if you want to not develop more to your world than what the man on top says.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
We'll see how well that style works out for him.

We ALL knew the truth before he said it to an idiot reporter. There was NO NEED for Delia to say it. That's the point.

It's also the truth sometimes that your defensemen hung you out to dry. Want him to be honest and say that in an interview too?
Why do you think it will work out any different any other way if it was literally already known?

Why do you assume that's some concept of a thing that will change? I'd rather not have sports and hockey culture be repetitive and boring.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I dont get why you attribute these assumptions of Delia in it. What do you mean work for these players? You think he thinks this will make him more likely to play? Why on earth would you think that?

If you wonder why Delia said yes. Sure because Laz probably asked several times. And he's not saying anything everyone there knows and it's not like he said anything negative or spiteful on the team.

I gues some people just like the culture of shut up and keep your head down. Well good if you want to not develop more to your world than what the man on top says.

I didn't say that, I said its a questionable decision by Delia to not keep it off the record and go to Laz about his frustration, it's within his right to have that dialogue with his coach and gm that he wants an opportunity and he's in a weird spot not being able to practice with team etc but its competition, he's not entitled to that and going on record with Laz does nothing for him imo..maybe some team out there calls up stan to inquire, guess we'll find out, it is puzzling that he has received less looks but iirc JC went to a conference final with Delia, he gave him a chunk of games when Crawford and Ward were out, probably played a part in the 3 year extension delia received, he's given him opportunities, at some point Subban and Lankinen jumped him on the depth chart

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I don't see the coach taking it as anything other than a goalie who is frustrated by lack of playing time. He probably knows exactly how Delia feels, considering he was an AHL/NHL fodder too. To me, without being able to read the entire article, it's just Delia telling Laz that it's tough being in the position he is in because he isn't getting the work he needs to be a better goalie. And he blamed himself for not being better in his first two games.

It's Laz that is spinning this into more than what Delia asked for. This is nothing like the Seabrook situation.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't see the coach taking it as anything other than a goalie who is frustrated by lack of playing time. He probably knows exactly how Delia feels, considering he was an AHL/NHL fodder too. To me, without being able to read the entire article, it's just Delia telling Laz that it's tough being in the position he is in because he isn't getting the work he needs to be a better goalie. And he blamed himself for not being better in his first two games.

It's Laz that is spinning this into more than what Delia asked for. This is nothing like the Seabrook situation.

Personally, I think it's never a good idea to voice problems with the coaching, organization, or their decisions, to the media. It just creates a rift. I don't think anyone in the Blackhawks organization, including many of his teammates, are happy with this article.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

If Delia didn’t realize that Laz would turn those comments into a story/narrative like this, that’s pretty dumb of Delia.

I don’t know how big of a deal this is, but to say that Delia didn’t know this would be the story is kind of far fetched to me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Personally, I think it's never a good idea to voice problems with the coaching, organization, or their decisions, to the media. It just creates a rift. I don't think anyone in the Blackhawks organization, including many of his teammates, are happy with this article.
I didn't see anything where he voiced a problem with the coaching, or the organization or their decisions..? But again, I don't have the whole article. He just mentioned that the situation he is in sucks, which is his fault because he didn't play better.

I doubt any of his teammates are unhappy, why would they be? They probably completely support him and understand that it sucks not being able to practice or get games in.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Delia didn’t realize that Laz would turn those comments into a story/narrative like this, that’s pretty dumb of Delia.

I don’t know how big of a deal this is, but to say that Delia didn’t know this would be the story is kind of far fetched to me.
You are assuming Delia knows about Laz and his writing more than we do. I'd venture to guess they don't read the majority of stuff journalists put out.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You are assuming Delia knows about Laz and his writing more than we do. I'd venture to guess they don't read the majority of stuff journalists put out.

You think the players don’t know about the core beat reporters?

If this were some obscure reporter, I’d find it plausible. But someone from the core beat? No way.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You think the players don’t know about the core beat reporters?

If this were some obscure reporter, I’d find it plausible. But someone from the core beat? No way.
I think they know them, I doubt they read their stuff quite like we do. I know if I was in the NHL, I wouldn't be opening the Athletic or Tribune every morning to see what the beat reporters are saying about me or others.

Reactions: Pertti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad