Latvia: Latvian prospects

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Ofcourse not, he speaks latvian,he has latvian citizenship and has been loyal to latvian national teams.
The probability of him deciding to play for the US is as big as the probability that we will win gold in hockey in Sochi Olympics. He's the son of a Latvian hockey federation board member for God's sakes!

Last edited:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
watching hk riga game(its tape,not live game) bukarts has come out flying today,he really is a mystery,yesterdays bukarts is not the same as todays,its like has a twin brother :sarcasm:

Well... he really is a mystery at the moment, isn't he?
If we talk about the numbers in MHL then I do not think we have to worry that much. Roberts Lipsbergs is of the same size and a similar player, before this year in WHL he put up 28 points (14+14) in 58 MHL games. Bukarts at the moment already has 32 points (16+16) in 50 games... Of course stats do not tell everything about a player and how he will perform next year but as it looks like now, he might not be 1st round prospect but draft should definitely not pass him...

As you already said, the problem is that he's inconsistent. One game he looks fantastic, another game- does not show anything. If we look at U20 preparation games he was one of the best among the U20 guys when he still had not reached his full 17 (birthday December 31), and then he was silent in the U20 Worlds.... Even in U18 last year he was outscored by Golovkovs and didn't get even a goal. In big games he just does not show up and that's not good. He's got plenty of speed and talent, just it does not show always.... A few days ago again he dominated in U18 preparation games, let's see U18 tournament and whether he shows up or not.

The coaches know that he needs to improve his game in defense, so they are giving him more work in that field, also HK Rīga is a bit better team than Stupino where he was last year, also he doesn't quite play with the best offensive partners (Siksnis and Begovs) and still outscores Jeļisējevs who plays in the 1st line with 2 guys with KHL experience years older than Bukarts. He's nr. 2 in scoring and goal scoring in HK Riga, he's 4th in the number of shots made (after the three guys from the first line) and third in shot accuracy. His +/- is not that impressive which also stresses the bad performance in defence although it has improved recently.

Therefore there might be other factors. Last year he was a rookie in a very bad team who was given free reign in the attack probably as the team sucked anyway and now they have put him with hard workers and tell him to play in defence. Maybe he's lazy, maybe he's still not yet realized that junior hockey is different from men's hockey- we will see, he's still young and has not missed anything.

I believe that thinking that he's a bust is premature. There's no other guy in whole Russia and KHL region from 2014 draft class IMHO who has produced better numbers in MHL, even if we talk about statistics.

Let's not forget that before his draft year Grigorenko in MHL had 35 points (17+18) in 43 games, Bukarts has 32 (16+16) in 50, not insanely huge difference. Of course Grigorenko has different size... The size issue is very import but not as big in today's NHL as it was. Yakupov is 1.79, if we believe eliteprospects, look at Skinner - another NHL wonderboy. The cm are not as important as the muscle mass, and if we can believe MHL numbers 84 kilos at the age of 17 for the height of 1.79 is good. And his face already shows that he has worked in the gym in the summer.

If we talk about Maslovskis then in comparison to Bukarts he's a miniature...

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Yep you rocked last year, but in 2011 we has Nicklas Jensen :D
Maybe then we take it two years in a row with Bjørkstrand and Ehlers and then you bounce back with Treijs :laugh:
Though recently in 4 nations U18 tournament Bukarts really outperformed Ehlers, also considering that both teams were of about equal strength. Then again maybe Latvia was more front loaded with THE TOP line and ''the others'' while your team was more equal.

Bukarts 3 games (3+4) 7 points
Ehlers 3 games (1+1) 2 points

Egle wasn't there, so hard to compare with another 1996 born, but Bukarts isn't that much older than Ehlers, less than 2 months...

But that again stresses that you can look at stats all you want but at this age it is pretty hard to yet see how players will develop. As concerns club hockey Ehlers has already played a few games in Swiss NLA and has scored a goal and is only 1996 born and looks phenomenal. But we will see how it develops. Though you, Danes, have been consistent during the last few years in producing great talent and 1995 seems is a good year for you (and judging by recent results not that bad for us too). Bad that this year we'll not compete with each other, though Bukarts (and maybe Egle) and (maybe Ehlers) and Bjorkstrand and all the 94s will meet or U20 next year side by side, some good talent from comparable level teams so then we will be able to compare further :) :)

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I`ve decided to make a list of best players by age group

1994:
1.Zemgus Girgensons
2.Roberts Lipsbergs
3.Teodors Blugers
4.Nikita Jevpalovs

1995:
1.Rihards Bukarts
2.Georgs Golovkovs

1996:
1.Haralds Egle
2.Rodrigo Abols
3.Davis Zembergs
4.Vasilonoks
5.Locans

1997:
Rudolfs Balcers (??)

1998: (??)
Edgars Treijs

I'd say Homjakovs is second among 1995. I mean sure this year he plays 1 level lower than Golovkovs and Bukarts but last year he was ore productive than Golovkovs in Liepāja and judging by recent 4 nations in Belarus, at least Homjakovs in one line with Bukarts looked really well (judging by numbers). Homjakovs without Bukarts in 2 games vs Belarus before the 4 nations (0+1), Homjakovs with Bukarts in first two games of 4 nations (2+4)...

But that's what I have also noticed and which is a good thing- anyone on the same line with Bukarts looks great (on a good day). If it was only one instance, it would be nothing, but even if we look at Siksnis and Begovs, Bukarts current partners in HK Riga... last year Siksnis had 1 goal in MHL and Begovs was your average guy in MHL B and didn't even play in MHL. They are 1993, so also not particulary good prospects (and could not crack U18 team before). This year they were introduced to HK Riga but weren't producing much until Bukarts was relegated from 1st line and put with those guys... and suddenly after Austria U20 tournament all three of these guys are among the leaders and Siksnis even managed to go to U20 championships (0+0 there though).

The thing is- did these both guys progressed from being basically nobodies to being 2nd line leaders of HK Riga in off season, and is Homjakovs really that good that in 3 games to collect 7 points vs Belarus, Norway and Denmark, or Bukarts really is a player who can impact those around him and make them play better??? If it's the 2nd case, he can be a very valuable player (though at the moment it only happens in 2nd rate game, maybe in U18 championships it will change)...

As concerns 1994, would switch Lipsbergs and Blugers places since NCAA is a better league and overall (and U20 proved) Blugers is more versatile and potentially more valuable player in future. Lipsbergs can score and I like him very much, but Blugers can do more than just score.

1996 - I agree, though Zembergs this season's feats do not look that promising. At the same time, the same can be said about Locāns and Vasiļonoks.... Rodrigo Ābols maybe even shows more promise than all of those guys as he's already very tall and could dominate. Though with young and tall players there is also a problem that when smaller guys become phisically stronger and grow up, the tall guys aren't that impressive anymore. Hope it's not the case with Ābols.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Blugers is more versatile and potentially more valuable player in future. Lipsbergs can score and I like him very much, but Blugers can do more than just score.

That's the the only paragraph, I'm disputing. Blugers reminds me a Semin a lot, but Lipsbergs has more NA jump to this game - he hits because he feels like it, not because someone to shut up up some critics. I'm not downright saying one is or isn't better than other, but that versatility thing I won't agree. Even if Lipsbergs won't be able to score as much in adult hockey, he'll still find his place on our NT rosters as an energy players, but if Blugers turns out incapable of transitioning his skillset to men's game, oh boy, he's in for a world of trouble.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well... he really is a mystery at the moment, isn't he?
If we talk about the numbers in MHL then I do not think we have to worry that much. Roberts Lipsbergs is of the same size and a similar player, before this year in WHL he put up 28 points (14+14) in 58 MHL games. Bukarts at the moment already has 32 points (16+16) in 50 games... Of course stats do not tell everything about a player and how he will perform next year but as it looks like now, he might not be 1st round prospect but draft should definitely not pass him...

As you already said, the problem is that he's inconsistent. One game he looks fantastic, another game- does not show anything. If we look at U20 preparation games he was one of the best among the U20 guys when he still had not reached his full 17 (birthday December 31), and then he was silent in the U20 Worlds.... Even in U18 last year he was outscored by Golovkovs and didn't get even a goal. In big games he just does not show up and that's not good. He's got plenty of speed and talent, just it does not show always.... A few days ago again he dominated in U18 preparation games, let's see U18 tournament and whether he shows up or not.

The coaches know that he needs to improve his game in defense, so they are giving him more work in that field, also HK Rīga is a bit better team than Stupino where he was last year, also he doesn't quite play with the best offensive partners (Siksnis and Begovs) and still outscores Jeļisējevs who plays in the 1st line with 2 guys with KHL experience years older than Bukarts. He's nr. 2 in scoring and goal scoring in HK Riga, he's 4th in the number of shots made (after the three guys from the first line) and third in shot accuracy. His +/- is not that impressive which also stresses the bad performance in defence although it has improved recently.

Therefore there might be other factors. Last year he was a rookie in a very bad team who was given free reign in the attack probably as the team sucked anyway and now they have put him with hard workers and tell him to play in defence. Maybe he's lazy, maybe he's still not yet realized that junior hockey is different from men's hockey- we will see, he's still young and has not missed anything.

I believe that thinking that he's a bust is premature. There's no other guy in whole Russia and KHL region from 2014 draft class IMHO who has produced better numbers in MHL, even if we talk about statistics.

Let's not forget that before his draft year Grigorenko in MHL had 35 points (17+18) in 43 games, Bukarts has 32 (16+16) in 50, not insanely huge difference. Of course Grigorenko has different size... The size issue is very import but not as big in today's NHL as it was. Yakupov is 1.79, if we believe eliteprospects, look at Skinner - another NHL wonderboy. The cm are not as important as the muscle mass, and if we can believe MHL numbers 84 kilos at the age of 17 for the height of 1.79 is good. And his face already shows that he has worked in the gym in the summer.

If we talk about Maslovskis then in comparison to Bukarts he's a miniature...

I have a feeling that Bukarts will be drafted in CHL this year and will head over and frankly it would be better for his development.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Though recently in 4 nations U18 tournament Bukarts really outperformed Ehlers, also considering that both teams were of about equal strength. Then again maybe Latvia was more front loaded with THE TOP line and ''the others'' while your team was more equal.

Bukarts 3 games (3+4) 7 points
Ehlers 3 games (1+1) 2 points

Egle wasn't there, so hard to compare with another 1996 born, but Bukarts isn't that much older than Ehlers, less than 2 months...

But that again stresses that you can look at stats all you want but at this age it is pretty hard to yet see how players will develop. As concerns club hockey Ehlers has already played a few games in Swiss NLA and has scored a goal and is only 1996 born and looks phenomenal. But we will see how it develops. Though you, Danes, have been consistent during the last few years in producing great talent and 1995 seems is a good year for you (and judging by recent results not that bad for us too). Bad that this year we'll not compete with each other, though Bukarts (and maybe Egle) and (maybe Ehlers) and Bjorkstrand and all the 94s will meet or U20 next year side by side, some good talent from comparable level teams so then we will be able to compare further :) :)

Yeah hopefully Denmark can win the division 1a at next years U20 :D
,and still have both Bjørkstrand and Ehlers for 2015 in the elite division! But look forward to see our clashes...whenever they come.
Again Denmark has good 2-way forwards but really problematic defence and goalkeeping. One light in the goalie department is this Herning kid George Sørensen (1995) - only played 12 matches this season, but what a SVS% !!
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68185

Of other 1995'ers besides Bjørkstrand (maybe depthwise our best year since 1989) is Rødovre kids Matthias Asperup
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93350
Best player at our mutual U18 tournament recently, but he is probably to small (yet) for an NHL team to draft him?!

and Mads Eller (Lars Eller's little brother).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351
[Mads Eller stats looks like nothing, but he should be quite good defensively - maybe he can ride on the "danish 2-way forward for 3'rd line reputation" and also get drafteed next year]

So that will probably be what you can expect for the next two years.
Maybe we finally hide some d-prospects but it's so hard to say at this point.
But Jeppe Vinther is the youngest player in the danish league (1996).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=149264

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah hopefully Denmark can win the division 1a at next years U20 :D
,and still have both Bjørkstrand and Ehlers for 2015 in the elite division! But look forward to see our clashes...whenever they come.
Again Denmark has good 2-way forwards but really problematic defence and goalkeeping. One light in the goalie department is this Herning kid George Sørensen (1995) - only played 12 matches this season, but what a SVS% !!
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68185

Of other 1995'ers besides Bjørkstrand (maybe depthwise our best year since 1989) is Rødovre kids Matthias Asperup
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93350
Best player at our mutual U18 tournament recently, but he is probably to small (yet) for an NHL team to draft him?!

and Mads Eller (Lars Eller's little brother).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93351
[Mads Eller stats looks like nothing, but he should be quite good defensively - maybe he can ride on the "danish 2-way forward for 3'rd line reputation" and also get drafteed next year]

So that will probably be what you can expect for the next two years.
Maybe we finally hide some d-prospects but it's so hard to say at this point.
But Jeppe Vinther is the youngest player in the danish league (1996).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=149264

hope not,sorry:help: But I would say that Ehlers out of this group has the highest potential.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Pelss with his first goal in AHL and an assist
And Jevpalovs in the QMJHL with 2 goals tonight

Seems Pelšs is adjusting to the men's hockey well. Of couse at the moment his stats aren't that spectacular 15 games (1+7) 8 points, but at this age Daugavins was also struggling in the AHL and Karsums was far from point per game level too. Considering that before the season I was sceptical about his progress in men's hockey, at least through the North American leagues, I'm glad that recently his scoring is improving and who knows, we might see him and Girgs in Sochi... Also would love to see him in the NT, as I haven't seen him play for a while... Of course additionally I'm proud for him since he's from the Preili region in Latvia from where my parents also come from and which isn't really known for growing hockey talents since there's only one arena 50 km away in Daugavpils. Hopefully soon Rēzekne will also have ice arena, there are plans. Though that doesn't improve Preili guys like Pelss life, as then there is only choice either to go 50 km to Daugavpils or 50 km to Rēzekne :D Preiļi is such a small town than it will get ice arena probably only when we have the level of economy like that of Denmark... But if Pelšs is successful no doubt he will be like an ambassador of this region guys' hockey dreams

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
And Jevpalovs in the QMJHL with 2 goals tonight

Seems PelÅ¡s is adjusting to the men's hockey well. Of couse at the moment his stats aren't that spectacular 15 games (1+7) 8 points, but at this age Daugavins was also struggling in the AHL and Karsums was far from point per game level too. Considering that before the season I was sceptical about his progress in men's hockey, at least through the North American leagues, I'm glad that recently his scoring is improving and who knows, we might see him and Girgs in Sochi... Also would love to see him in the NT, as I haven't seen him play for a while... Of course additionally I'm proud for him since he's from the Preili region in Latvia from where my parents also come from and which isn't really known for growing hockey talents since there's only one arena 50 km away in Daugavpils. Hopefully soon Rēzekne will also have ice arena, there are plans. Though that doesn't improve Preili guys like Pelss life, as then there is only choice either to go 50 km to Daugavpils or 50 km to Rēzekne :D Preiļi is such a small town than it will get ice arena probably only when we have the level of economy like that of Denmark... But if PelÅ¡s is successful no doubt he will be like an ambassador of this region guys' hockey dreams

Well it would certainly be great!

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
The final roster for U17 EYOF has been announced. The biggest surprises are that Locāns from AIK J18 Allsvenskan has not been included, Artūrs BuÅ¡s from EmJHL in the US and the fact that there are no SK Riga 96 goalies with experience in Latvian league and Saint Petersburg championships (higher level than Latvian U18 league most of these guys operate in). There have been talks about favouritism in Latvian media, as the head coach is from Pārdaugava team and some say there are too many Pārdaugava guys (though at the moment two d-men and both goalies) but the coaches are responsible for the result and we will see. Also three 1997 born guys in the roster.

Goalies:
Matīss Edmunds Kivlenieks 1996 Prizma/Pārdaugava
Toms Nuka 1996 Prizma/Pārdaugava

Defense:
Kristiāns Rubins 1997 Prizma/Pārdaugava
Kirils Mitrofanovs 1996 Prizma/Pārdaugava
Jānis PuriņÅ¡ 1996 SK Rīga 96
Edgars Vīksna 1996 SK Rīga 96
Emīls Eduards KājiņÅ¡ 1996 Liepājas Metalurgs
Gvido Jansons 1997 Liepājas Metalurgs
Vjačeslavs Minajevs 1996 EC Salzburg U18

Forwards:
Frenks Razgals 1996 SK Rīga 96
Kirils Galoha 1996 SK Rīga 96
Rodrigo Ābols 1996 SK Rīga 96
Gatis Sprukts 1996 SK Rīga 96
Iļja Žučkovs 1996 Liepājas Metalurgs
Dans Beržanskis 1996 Liepājas Metalurgs
Mārtiņs Dzierkalis 1997 Sāga/Ogre
Dāvis Zembergs 1996 Boston Junior Bandits
Haralds Egle 1996 Portland Junior Pirates (EJHL)
Augusts Valdis Vasiļonoks 1996 EC Salzburg II
Marks Lazarevs 1996 Pikes Oberthurgau

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
and Lipsbergs scored another goal tonight in WHL, 22nd
Now total is 51 games 22+24=46 points

Its still close in the WHL for best rookie. Two points lead for Bjørkstrand, but with one match more. The danish-latvian-german competition :D

Oliver Bjørkstrand 23G 25A - 48 points in 52 matches.
Roberts Lipsberg 22G 24A - 46 points in 51 matches.
Leon Draisaitl 16G 30A - 46 points in 51 matches.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Its still close in the WHL for best rookie. Two points lead for Bjørkstrand, but with one match more. The danish-latvian-german competition :D

Oliver Bjørkstrand 23G 25A - 48 points in 52 matches.
Roberts Lipsberg 22G 24A - 46 points in 51 matches.
Leon Draisaitl 16G 30A - 46 points in 51 matches.

Yeah it`s a close race :laugh: Roberts and Oliver both want to be the top rookies of WHL,well see how it goes :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah it`s a close race :laugh: Roberts and Oliver both want to be the top rookies of WHL,well see how it goes :laugh:

Well Lipsberg seems to have great form at the momemt.....Bjørkstrands production has been a little less than normal lately. But Draisaitl has also gotten closer and closer lately!

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Roberts is the eldest of the three so in any case the prize for the best rookie would go to Bjorkstrand at the moment IMHO. But top scoring rookie would also be nice.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Roberts is the eldest of the three so in any case the prize for the best rookie would go to Bjorkstrand at the moment IMHO. But top scoring rookie would also be nice.

Well actually I would think the prize for best rookie will go to Draisaitl, since he is ½ a year younger than Bjørkstrand (Draisaitl late october 1995, where Bjørkstrand is april 1995), so top scoring rookie is the Lipsberg-Bjørkstrand battle!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Zemgus Girgensons returned last night with amerks no goals no assists,-1. Hope Big Z can get his shape back after the injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad