Latvia: Latvian prospects

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Is Bluger a Latvian (by nationality)? Anyway, he is more "American" than "Latvian". I think he will accept US citizenship at first opportunity.

:facepalm: hes ethnically Latvian he has played for both latvian u-18 and u-20 so by definition he can`t even play for US.
Neuztraucies "patriot" Blugers parstaves Latviju.Teikt,ka Tedors nav Latvietis ir aizskarosi vinam,pirms runa,iepazisties ar informaciju.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
In EBEL (similar, maybe little bit better than BOL) league there is Zintis Zusevics(1994). Not some high-end prosepct, but he is playing for Graz mens team in heavily imported league. I think he scored few goals in 40+ games, but most of the time he spent on 4th line, while in recent few games he was put on top line and had imidiate impact. You can see his goal at laola1.at, he scored against my team (Medvescak) on january 29th. Here are the goals if interested
http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/ice-hoc...l-medvescak-zagreb/video/434-1830-110229.html

Pretty nice but he has to produce alot more if he wants achieve something.:handclap:

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
This kid might be good enough to play for Sweden.

I've seen him a lot and there's no question he's good enough. He's been to at least one training camp that swedish federation arranged for his age group so I would think he's leaning towards representing Sweden, but i don't know. He's dominating the U16 Elit södra division, and that as under aged. He also scored ppg at tv-pucken last year, as under aged on a pretty mediocre team.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I've seen him a lot and there's no question he's good enough. He's been to at least one training camp that swedish federation arranged for his age group so I would think he's leaning towards representing Sweden, but i don't know. He's dominating the U16 Elit södra division, and that as under aged. He also scored ppg at tv-pucken last year, as under aged on a pretty mediocre team.

Great hockey talent,stolen by swedish hockey federation,great :shakehead:shakehead

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Thats not the point he still was a citzen of Latvia before moving to Sweden,hockey federation should respect that.

Nobody's stealing anything, It's all about kids' and his parents' preference and they are the ones who decide.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
If Treijs already has Swedish citizenship he likely wouldn't be eligible to play for Latvia at this point anyway according to IIHF rules. If he doesn't and doesn't pursue citizenship in coming years then playing for Latvia would be the only option.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah and the sad thing this "syndrome" will not be out of our mentality atleast for another 20 years or so.USSR really ****ed us up

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Yeah and the sad thing this "syndrome" will not be out of our mentality atleast for another 20 years or so.USSR really ****ed us up

Yep, we bore the brunt of communist brainwashing and self-esteem killing machine. Still noticeable in many politicians today :nod:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yep, we bore the brunt of communist brainwashing and self-esteem killing machine. Still noticeable in many politicians today :nod:

But it will change over time,thats the positive thing and Latvian mentality is sure as hell better than it was in the 90`s.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Well, it's still only a hypothetical question in this case. We'll have to wait and see what his choice is, but he's certainly good enough for both countries U16 national team.

He came to Sweden and Linköping when he was 10-11 years old so whatever his choice is I would think swedish hockey has had something to do with his development. ;)

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
:facepalm: hes ethnically Latvian he has played for both latvian u-18 and u-20 so by definition he can`t even play for US.
Neuztraucies "patriot" Blugers parstaves Latviju.Teikt,ka Tedors nav Latvietis ir aizskarosi vinam,pirms runa,iepazisties ar informaciju.
He could play for the US if he wanted to but he won't. It is possible for him to acquire US citizenship, he's already playing in the US, and he's on track to continue playing in the US for at least 5 or 6 more years (assuming he finishes college and gets an ELC). That would be long enough to change nationality but I think his continued devotion to the Latvian national team program means he's Latvian for life.

Either way, it is at least possible for him to represent the US but I doubt it will happen and I'll go as far as to say it will never happen.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
He could play for the US if he wanted to but he won't. It is possible for him to acquire US citizenship, he's already playing in the US, and he's on track to continue playing in the US for at least 5 or 6 more years (assuming he finishes college and gets an ELC). That would be long enough to change nationality but I think his continued devotion to the Latvian national team program means he's Latvian for life.

Either way, it is at least possible for him to represent the US but I doubt it will happen and I'll go as far as to say it will never happen.

Ofcourse not, he speaks latvian,he has latvian citizenship and has been loyal to latvian national teams.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Even if Teddy B gets his US citizenship and plays his four years in the States (hasn't he already?), there's no way he's cracking the US team with their depth, at least not for the foreseeable future, so he's obviously going to continue to play for Latvia if he gets the chance.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Even if Teddy B gets his US citizenship and plays his four years in the States (hasn't he already?), there's no way he's cracking the US team with their depth, at least not for the foreseeable future, so he's obviously going to continue to play for Latvia if he gets the chance.

Just wait until he develops into a Malkin's winger... You'll eat these words. :sarcasm:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Thats not the point he still was a citzen of Latvia before moving to Sweden,hockey federation should respect that.
Hockey federation has no say in whether Treijs will play for Sweden or Latvia. If he will want to play for Latvia, he will. If he will want to play for Sweden, he will play for Sweden. Nobody is stealing anything, it's kid's decision. And as somebody already said, if they developed him and maybe he's already integrated in the culture, you can't blame Swedes or Treijs himself for expressing interest to play for that country...

Of course we would all want him to play for Latvia if he's still good at adult level but it's his decision only and nobody will torture him and put passport in front to sign...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad