Latvia World Championships 2006...

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
I think Canada will line-up probably some Crosby there cos Penguins are very crap this year...also there could be some other young,hungry talents and solid NHL-players who have experience from this second-rated World Championships...

I think Canada will be very tough again. Maybe there is also some Rick Nash again to make Finland shaky...

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
My early prediction is that Canada will have a bad tournament. Players like Luongo and Nash will probably not play because they will claim the to be too tired from the Olympics.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
Gretzky and Lindros played in World Championships when they were young, so does Crosby...I still think Canada will be winner-contender and Russia too...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Rob said:
My early prediction is that Canada will have a bad tournament. Players like Luongo and Nash will probably not play because they will claim the to be too tired from the Olympics.

They better not, they owe Canada a medal now, big time.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
kidhander said:
According to gazeta.ru Lada's Head Coach Peter Vorobiev will coach the home team during the next IIHF world championships ;)

GREAT move for Latvija, Vorobiev is one of the best coach in Russia if not the best one
Only thing, no theres 2 things i dont like about this whole thing. First its a short term contract. So small country as we are we have to get the most out of our yooth and a long term contract with a good coach could help move up some of our youngsters (simmilar to what Swiss did, sorry cant remember the name of the cach at the moment, but its definately working out for them). @nd, the former head coach is still in, as assistant. He screwd up team atmosphere big time, some of the players even said that they will not play for NT if that guy is around and as he is, its not ogin to help the microclimat eof the team.

Riga*

Coming to World Ice Hockey Championship in Riga??

Coming to World Ice Hockey Championship in Riga?? Need a place to stay? A 3 room flat in the "silent center" - the most reputable disctrict of Riga, 10/15 minute walk or 3 minute driving from Arena Riga and just a few minute walk from Old Riga. 1 month after renovation. 2 bedrooms with double beds. Living-room. Kitchen with a stove, fridge and kitchen furniture. Bathroom with a bath, shower and washing machine. Bedclothes, towels and dishes included of course. Also availiable - free wireless internet for your portable computer.

The flat is already booked 13.-15. May. Any other dates in may are still availiable.

if interested please contact [email protected] Seriously interested people only please

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
TC will be awesome...

The Leafs will line a damn strong team! Have no doubt.

Not only will Crosby be there, but I have a feeling that the Neidermeier brothers Shane Doan, and Bouwmeester will be there as well any other "Star" who failed in Torino... like Nash, Sakic and Bertie! Expect Pronger to tower in defense... broken foot or not, maybe with Bergeron. If Jovo can stand in a pair of skates, I'm sure he'll be there too just like Mike Peca, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth... This could go on for a while.

I don't think the big Canadian guns want to walk away from this season with a 7th spot in the OG's and an early exit in the play-offs, not if they think that there are Gold medals with their names on them. If I know anything about North-Americans, it's that they don't get discouraged, they rally around an empty beer can they see one, and I have a feeling that they are :madfire: as of right now.

Luongo is the best Canadian keeper these days, and if Marty is busy in the play-offs, he won't have to sit back becasue of politics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cujo come as well!

What I want to know is if Gretzky has enough balls after the OG's to call on his excellent U-20 guys! They were awesome in Vancouver and can certainly make for a royal pain in the arse for any team in the tourney.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Some players to consider from teams that definately won't make the playoffs:

Goal: Roberto Luongo, Curtis Joseph, Manny Fernandez
Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Brad Stuart, Brent Seabrook, Derek Morris, Adam Foote, Bryan McCabe
Forwards: Rick Nash, Shane Doan, Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Kyle Calder, Geoff Sanderson, Glen Murray, Mike Johnson

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Hedberg said:
Some players to consider from teams that definately won't make the playoffs:

Goal: Roberto Luongo, Curtis Joseph, Manny Fernandez
Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Brad Stuart, Brent Seabrook, Derek Morris, Adam Foote, Bryan McCabe
Forwards: Rick Nash, Shane Doan, Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Kyle Calder, Geoff Sanderson, Glen Murray, Mike Johnson

Uhoh.... McCabe?!? LOL... Is this supposed to some sort of Canadian sportsmanship to give the opponents a chance? :dunno:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Ribban said:
Uhoh.... McCabe?!? LOL... Is this supposed to some sort of Canadian sportsmanship to give the opponents a chance? :dunno:
I really hope they don't invite and even if they do, he declines.

elcommandante

Mar 20, 2006
Winterthur
www.airxess.ch
hahaha...i hope to see a great tournament....and i hope that switzerland will be able one more time to beat a "big" team...

and i hope that canada will finally do what the names of the teamplayers promises....it's not enough to have NHL-Stars....u have also to win

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's some players the U.S. could potentially ice (teams currently not in the playoffs):

Goaltenders:

Tim Thomas
Rick DiPietro
Garth Snow
Brent Johnson
Philippe Sauve

Defensemen:

Mike Komisarek
Francis Bouillion
Sean Hill
Brian Leetch
Hal Gill
Andrew Alberts
David Tanabe
Ryan Whitney
Brooks Orpik
Tim Gleason
Aaron Miller
Joe Corvo
Tom Preissing
Paul Mara
Keith Ballard

Forwards:

Chris Higgins
Jason Blake
Mike York
Shawn Bates
Marty Reasoner
Chris Clark
Jeff Halpern
Ben Clymer
Ryan Malone
Craig Conroy
Mark Parrish
Brian Rolston
Dan Fritsche
Keith Tkachuk

wildone26*

My predictions for the tournament:

1)If Nash does not play Canada will win gold, if Nash does play Canada will win only silver though.

2)If Nash plays for Canada, Russia will win gold, if Nash does not play for Canada, Russia will have to settle for silver.

3)Sweden or Slovakia will win bronze.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia win gold? -What do you base this on. Ovechkin is gonna be pretty much the only NHLer that will get invited. I suppose the RSLers may suprise someone given the "home field advantage", but thats a longshot... especially with Krikunov as coach.

wildone26*

Slitty said:
Russia win gold? -What do you base this on. Ovechkin is gonna be pretty much the only NHLer that will get invited. I suppose the RSLers may suprise someone given the "home field advantage", but thats a longshot... especially with Krikunov as coach.

I said Russia will win if Nash is on Team Canada, if Nash is not on Team Canada Canada will win. So I did not neccessarily say Russia would win, it depends if Nash is playing or not.

I think Russia will have a good team, I look at the Russians who are on teams that will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs probably and if they all go it will be a good team. Doesnt Worlds start after the 1st round of the playoffs?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
wildone26 said:
I said Russia will win if Nash is on Team Canada, if Nash is not on Team Canada Canada will win. So I did not neccessarily say Russia would win, it depends if Nash is playing or not.

I think Russia will have a good team, I look at the Russians who are on teams that will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs probably and if they all go it will be a good team. Doesnt Worlds start after the 1st round of the playoffs?

According to the coach the Russian roster will consist of Ovechkin + RSL player with the possibility of Saprykin or Vorobiev on the team.

wildone26*

I heard Canada will only ask 4 forwards next week, and the rest will be named after the first round of playoffs. That is awesome since it ensures Nash wont be asked to play. Crosby, Bergeron, Doan, Boyes, will all be asked before him, leaving no room for Nash on the team. WOOHOO!

GoneAway

Rabid Ranger said:
Here's some players the U.S. could potentially ice (teams currently not in the playoffs):

Goaltenders:

Tim Thomas
Rick DiPietro
Garth Snow
Brent Johnson
Philippe Sauve

Defensemen:

Mike Komisarek
Francis Bouillion

Sean Hill
Brian Leetch
Hal Gill