Latvia World Championships 2006...

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Hedberg said:
Some players to consider from teams that definately won't make the playoffs:

Goal: Roberto Luongo, Curtis Joseph, Manny Fernandez
Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Brad Stuart, Brent Seabrook, Derek Morris, Adam Foote, Bryan McCabe
Forwards: Rick Nash, Shane Doan, Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Kyle Calder, Geoff Sanderson, Glen Murray, Mike Johnson

While I like Roberto Luongo and Manny Fernandez as the goalies for Canada, I am not convinced that CuJo is a good fit. He bombed at the '02 Olympics and his play this season was less than stellar. I wouldn't mind seeing Mathieu Garon fill that role. Also, I think Mike Cammalleri would be a good fit at forward for Canada. He had a strong but largely quiet year for the Kings.

Also, is it just me but does this list look surprisingly like a good portion of the Turin Olympic team? While I enjoy the Olympic hockey, the fact that many of these players missed the playoffs after playing, might be a fact that the season is too long with the extra Olympic games thrown in.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Rabid Ranger said:
Tim Gleason
Aaron Miller
Joe Corvo

After the season the D corp had in LA, you'd really want them on your team? Especially Aaron Miller and Tim Gleason? Joe Corvo is probably the best of the 3 and sadly that isn't saying too much.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
This might be a little premature to be asking this question, but of the non-major hockey powers, which countries have major NHL prospects to keep an eye on? I know Slovenia has Anze Kopitar, but who else?

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Shootmaster_44 said:
This might be a little premature to be asking this question, but of the non-major hockey powers, which countries have major NHL prospects to keep an eye on? I know Slovenia has Anze Kopitar, but who else?

Well, i dont think he falls into a major NHL prospec category, beside he has yet to debut for Boston, but MartiņÅ¡ Karsums is hottest at the moment for Latvia. I doubt were gonna see him in Riga as his team will play in Memorial Cup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Shootmaster_44 said:
After the season the D corp had in LA, you'd really want them on your team? Especially Aaron Miller and Tim Gleason? Joe Corvo is probably the best of the 3 and sadly that isn't saying too much.

I was just listing players that might be available. Trust me, this is going to be a tough year for the U.S.

1sabrestar

Feb 9, 2006
Rabid Ranger said:
Mike Eaves was named coach of the U.S. team today: http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/news/main/n236/news_eaves_041206//

I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. iced a very young team, perhaps virtually all of the players under 30.

I heard this will be the case--recruiting many of the same players he coached to win the 2004 World Jr.'s Gold Medal. Remember, the Worlds is a short term tournament in which you have to have good team chemistry & work ethic above all--two factors which helped his NCAA team win the Frozen Four this year. I'm sure most would agree, on paper, the Wisconsin Badgers were not the most skilled or talented team, but they had a great sense of comaraderie & the same mindset--to win the championship. Eaves is a superb coach & we'll have to trust he knows what he's doing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
1sabrestar said:
I heard this will be the case--recruiting many of the same players he coached to win the 2004 World Jr.'s Gold Medal. Remember, the Worlds is a short term tournament in which you have to have good team chemistry & work ethic above all--two factors which helped his NCAA team win the Frozen Four this year. I'm sure most would agree, on paper, the Wisconsin Badgers were not the most skilled or talented team, but they had a great sense of comaraderie & the same mindset--to win the championship. Eaves is a superb coach & we'll have to trust he knows what he's doing.

Well, there's several guys (such as Kesler and Fritsche) that will be available.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
wildone26 said:
I heard Canada will only ask 4 forwards next week, and the rest will be named after the first round of playoffs. That is awesome since it ensures Nash wont be asked to play. Crosby, Bergeron, Doan, Boyes, will all be asked before him, leaving no room for Nash on the team. WOOHOO!
What do you have against Rick Nash?

wildone26*

pei fan said:
What do you have against Rick Nash?

I hate players that I find overhyped, that is what makes me not like them. I find him overhyped since:

1)He has won NOTHING in his career. Somebody like Patrice Bergeron is a year younger than him and has already been piling up victories like candy, Worlds, World juniors, etc.....Nash will never be part of a gold medal team, he is simply not a winner.

2)He is also overhyped since he has not yet been in the top 25 in scoring, and his PPG this year is not even in the top 25. So his offensive skills, while very good, are nowhere near what people make them out to be. His defence totally sucks, his neutral zone play is average, and he is not an all around player.

3)I just believe he is a plague, whenever he is on a team they dont win. When he is not they usually do win. I hope he is off Canadian teams so they arent kept from winning because he is there. Team Canada is lucky he skipped the 03 and 04 worlds because of an injury/illness since they won. They are also lucky he will skip this years Worlds with another injury since it will allow them to win.

4)He obviously is unreliable and physicaly fragile as well. It is the 3rd Worlds in 4 years he missed with an injury or ailment probably. People should not be so high on such an unreliable player.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Just as an FYI, DiPietro will not be available as he is having surgery (knee I believe) now that the season has ended. Watching the last two Isles games, he was sitting on the bench with an ice bag. Why he was dressed if he couldn't play is beyond me.

I agree with Rabid Ranger that the US will field a very young team. That said, I don't think that either Brent Johnson or Garth Snow would be selected, leaving Thomas, Sauve and perhaps an AHLer who isn't in the playoffs.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
If DiPietro can't go....I'd love to see Tim Thomas get a crack at it and have Jason Bachashuia as his back-up. Can NHL drafted, college players play in this tourney ie: Jack Johnson.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
petrklima85 said:
If DiPietro can't go....I'd love to see Tim Thomas get a crack at it and have Jason Bachashuia as his back-up. Can NHL drafted, college players play in this tourney ie: Jack Johnson.

I am pretty sure that NHL drafted, college players can play. That said, there are a number of NHL/AHL American born goalies not in the playoffs who would be chosen before a collegiate player I would think.

Regarding Tim Thomas, after playing 60 games this season, is he going to want to travel to Latvia to play in the Championships?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
I am pretty sure that NHL drafted, college players can play. That said, there are a number of NHL/AHL American born goalies not in the playoffs who would be chosen before a collegiate player I would think.

Regarding Tim Thomas, after playing 60 games this season, is he going to want to travel to Latvia to play in the Championships?

I believe the answer to that is no: http://www.suntimes.com/output/hawks/cst-spt-hside20.html

It looks like Thomas declined a spot. Craig Anderson has been named though. Not sure who the other two goaltenders will be. I'm guessing whoever it is will be AHL based. From what I can tell, here's the team so far:

Craig Anderson
Marty Reasoner
Hal Gill
Ryan Malone
Andy Hilbert

Not a very promising start, but I'm not surprised.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
wildone26 said:
I hate players that I find overhyped, that is what makes me not like them. I find him overhyped since:

1)He has won NOTHING in his career. Somebody like Patrice Bergeron is a year younger than him and has already been piling up victories like candy, Worlds, World juniors, etc.....Nash will never be part of a gold medal team, he is simply not a winner.

2)He is also overhyped since he has not yet been in the top 25 in scoring, and his PPG this year is not even in the top 25. So his offensive skills, while very good, are nowhere near what people make them out to be. His defence totally sucks, his neutral zone play is average, and he is not an all around player.

3)I just believe he is a plague, whenever he is on a team they dont win. When he is not they usually do win. I hope he is off Canadian teams so they arent kept from winning because he is there. Team Canada is lucky he skipped the 03 and 04 worlds because of an injury/illness since they won. They are also lucky he will skip this years Worlds with another injury since it will allow them to win.

4)He obviously is unreliable and physicaly fragile as well. It is the 3rd Worlds in 4 years he missed with an injury or ailment probably. People should not be so high on such an unreliable player.

You need to learn how to better deal with your emotions. Hating a player like you do is not normal behaviour. I hope you are OK.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I believe the answer to that is no: http://www.suntimes.com/output/hawks/cst-spt-hside20.html

It looks like Thomas declined a spot. Craig Anderson has been named though. Not sure who the other two goaltenders will be. I'm guessing whoever it is will be AHL based. From what I can tell, here's the team so far:

Craig Anderson
Marty Reasoner
Hal Gill
Ryan Malone
Andy Hilbert

Too bad about Thomas, he would have given them a legit chance to beat any team.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Rabid Ranger said:

Craig Anderson
Marty Reasoner
Hal Gill
Ryan Malone
Andy Hilbert

The other NHL goalies that could be considered would be Phil Sauve, Jason Bacashihua, Ty Conklin and Mike Dunham.

The list of potential AHL goalies are...

Jean-Marc Pelletier
Karl Goehring
Scott Stirling
Gerald Coleman

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
The other NHL goalies that could be considered would be Phil Sauve, Jason Bacashihua, Ty Conklin and Mike Dunham.

The list of potential AHL goalies are...

Jean-Marc Pelletier
Karl Goehring
Scott Stirling
Gerald Coleman

Personally, I'd take Bachashihua and Goehring.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
Just out of curiosity, why would you take Goehring who has been a mediocre AHL goalie for his entire career?

I should rephrase. I think Goehring will be the 3rd goaltender. He has played in the Worlds before and would be fine in a role where he wouldn't get any icetime.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I should rephrase. I think Goehring will be the 3rd goaltender. He has played in the Worlds before and would be fine in a role where he wouldn't get any icetime.

I'm not doubting you, just curious of when Goehring played in the Worlds?

Truthfully, I'd be surprised if they picked him over Pelletier. I know I am biased, however, Pelletier is a better goalie than Goehring.

That said, if both Bacashihua and Sauve are interested, they will probably be the other two and Hockey USA won't even look at AHL netminders.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pelts35.com said:
It's pretty amazing that USA Hockey's website has absolutely nothing about the World Championships as of yet.

No one really does. We'll probably see a bit more news by the end of this week. Here's an updated roster for the U.S. so far:

Craig Anderson
Jim Slater
Marty Reasoner
Hal Gill
Brooks Orpik
Ryan Malone
Andy Hilbert

Paul Holmgren and co are probably waiting to see what teams get eliminated from the first round in order to poach some additional players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->