Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's not Bettman forcing this to continue. He answers to 31 other owners in terms of what to do with the Coyotes. People need to stop the ignorance

Hey man, crazy concept- it’s almost like he can be their yesman sycophant, while also having this one hang-up they don’t necessarily like. People contain multitudes, y’know, and despite it all I think Bettman still classifies as human. So- no, it’s weird to assume the owners wanna lose money, that Bettman is a figurehead for this specific issue. Hes the middleman/messenger when they wanna save money, they’re doing the opposite here.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I just wanted to say that those are incredibly good looking hockey shirts

jsynordiquescalvaire.png
They're nice. Hartford's were better. Not sure what any of that has to do with the thread, though.

Reactions: Chan790

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Canadian* hockey media. Big difference. You quoted me in the last thread. Do some homework and look at how the Canadian media speaks on this topic. You’ll connect the dots sooner or later.
Craig Morgan has spoken to this issue on his last 3-4 PHNX pods.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Please provide examples.
Have experienced it personally and I'm not a Coyotes fan nor do I really follow what's going on there, but I distinctly remember when popular Canadian media were going on and on about how it was a disgrace to have to keep propping up "failed southern teams like Columbus".

It's pure clickbait with minimal basis in reality and yet so many of y'all fall for it every time.

* * *​
Atlanta sucked and they didn't get as protected as this.
Atlanta wasn't able to have such a chance because there were no arenas other than Phillips, and the owner and operator of same were the same folks who were actively engaged in killing off the Thrashers.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
8:04 AM, Wednesday February 7, 2024

This was earlier today on the Marek show with Elliot providing some insight on the latest gongshow with the Coyotes ownership group. Not to beat a dead horse over and over but you’ve gotta wonder when the NHL will say enough is enough and Bettman will finally realize his dream of having a stellar NHL team in Arizona is just that…a dream.

Thoughts anyone?

Move them - anywhere. Hamilton and QC need teams and would be profitable markets.

Or maybe there's another desert somewhere the league wants to dump an ice hockey team.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Have experienced it personally and I'm not a Coyotes fan nor do I really follow what's going on there, but I distinctly remember when popular Canadian media were going on and on about how it was a disgrace to have to keep propping up "failed southern teams like Columbus".

It's pure clickbait with minimal basis in reality and yet so many of y'all fall for it every time.

* * *​

Atlanta wasn't able to have such a chance because there were no arenas other than Phillips, and the owner and operator of same were the same folks who were actively engaged in killing off the Thrashers.
You probably shouldn’t use Columbus as an example of CDN media being unfair in labelling a franchise as a disgrace.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You probably shouldn’t use Columbus as an example of CDN media being unfair in labelling a franchise as a disgrace.
#1, [redacted due to HF rules].
#2, the point was that they're so focused on hating certain franchises they can't even get their geography straight.

Reactions: banks

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Yes, not paying bills on time is the Canadian media's fault.

Losing land and having various areas in Arizona not wanting to deal with the Coyotes is because of Canadian media manipulating things.

The Coyotes having to play in a 5,000 seat arena is because of... yup, you guessed it, Canadian media changing the narrative.

I'm sure you're a great fan, knowledgeable and everything. I'm sure there's thousands like you there, kn Arizona.

However, the situation with Arizona has been an absolute joke. Move them to Utah, or to Houston, or anywhere where things might work out.

Atlanta sucked and they didn't get as protected as this.

Not only do you make posts I feel I frequently agree with thoroughly, I enjoy the humor in the combo of avatar/username.

Kudos.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
#1, [redacted due to HF rules].
#2, the point was that they're so focused on hating certain franchises they can't even get their geography straight.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree, because I’m not sure what the point is your attempting to make in #2.

I live in Phx part time, I’m a Canadian as well. I’m not looking to create churn, just trying to understand what point your wanting to push forward.

I don’t think geography has anything to do with this story in terms of a struggling franchise (aside from the fact that Phx is a great metro area and should be able to support a successful team and is the NHLs desire as well). It’s more so a story about futile ownership and lack of closure on placing the team in the right location within the valley for the last 20 years and the numerous, continuous missteps as a result.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m not saying I agree or disagree, because I’m not sure what the point is your attempting to make in #2.

I live in Phx part time, I’m a Canadian as well. I’m not looking to create churn, just trying to understand what point your wanting to push forward.

I don’t think geography has anything to do with this story in terms of a struggling franchise (aside from the fact that Phx is a great metro area and should be able to support a successful team and is the NHLs desire as well). It’s more so a story about futile ownership and lack of closure on placing the team in the right location within the valley for the last 20 years and the numerous, continuous missteps as a result.
I was pointing out past references to, in their own words, "failed southern teams like Columbus".

Either you're not realizing the full implications of that wording or you've got the same gap in knowledge they did.

hockeynugget

Nov 25, 2023

Where is the right location though? They’ve tried what, 3 now? Struggling to fill the current college arena they’re playing out of which only holds a handful of fans to begin with, and cheap ticket prices at that. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they’ve been denied in a few other areas because the communities didn’t want them there whether it be for tax reasons or lack of interest. So where else in Arizona is left to try to place them? I’m sincerely asking, not trying to degrade the situation anymore than it already is.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I was pointing out past references to, in their own words, "failed southern teams like Columbus".

Either you're not realizing the full implications of that wording or you've got the same gap in knowledge they did.

Those weren’t my words dude, they were yours. I only referenced Columbus as a”struggling franchise“ in reference to your post. Either way, I’m in support of Phx and hope they can find a solution quick. Cheers.

Where is the right location though? They’ve tried what, 3 now? Struggling to fill the current college arena they’re playing out of which only holds a handful of fans to begin with, and cheap ticket prices at that. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they’ve been denied in a few other areas because the communities didn’t want them there whether it be for tax reasons or lack of interest. So where else in Arizona is left to try to place them? I’m sincerely asking, not trying to degrade the situation anymore than it already is.
Welcome to the boards.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Those weren’t my words dude, they were yours. I only referenced Columbus as a”struggling franchise“ in reference to your post. Either way, I’m in support of Phx and hope they can find a solution quick. Cheers.
They weren't my words either. Those were from Canadian media outlets about a decade and a half ago from around the time Howson was taking over as GM. It's a condemnation of their inability and/or unwillingness to do the most fundamental basic research about a place before they start railing against them as failed and to be moved - in their zeal to condemn Columbus, the Jackets were being grouped with franchies like Florida, Atlanta, and Carolina not just financially and competitively, but geographically.

Or, to bluntly spell it out: I know for certain that Canadian media orgs pick and choose favorites when it comes to NHL franchises, and I don't trust them to be in the least bit accurate when talking about the franchises they hate, because they used to be convinced the Blue Jackets were in the Deep South and would routinely convey as much to their viewers and readers. And folks would read that and uncritically accept it - I frequently would get incredulity from folks here on this very message board when I would inform them of mind-blowing "impossible" bits like how we're around 250km from the Canadian border and about two and a half hours by car from Toronto (give or take some time because QEW traffic).

So the notion that this is much ado about nothing (i.e. just another reiteration of the known current situation) based entirely on Canadian media's hate-boner for Arizona is not at all difficult for me to believe. Not when they've previously demonstrated that in their pursuit of Hating The Undesirables they can't tell the difference between Ohio and Georgia.

Reactions: SR

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They weren't my words either. Those were from Canadian media outlets about a decade and a half ago from around the time Howson was taking over as GM. It's a condemnation of their inability and/or unwillingness to do the most fundamental basic research about a place before they start railing against them as failed and to be moved - in their zeal to condemn Columbus, the Jackets were being grouped with franchies like Florida, Atlanta, and Carolina not just financially and competitively, but geographically.

Or, to bluntly spell it out: I know for certain that Canadian media orgs pick and choose favorites when it comes to NHL franchises, and I don't trust them to be in the least bit accurate when talking about the franchises they hate, because they used to be convinced the Blue Jackets were in the Deep South and would routinely convey as much to their viewers and readers. And folks would read that and uncritically accept it - I frequently would get incredulity from folks here on this very message board when I would inform them of mind-blowing "impossible" bits like how we're around 200km from the Canadian border and about two and a half hours by car from Toronto.

So the notion that this is much ado about nothing (i.e. just another reiteration of the known current situation) based entirely on Canadian media's hate-boner for Arizona is not at all difficult for me to believe. Not when they've previously demonstrated that they can't tell the difference between Ohio and Georgia.
Well, that might be your perspective and so be it. I dont believe it to be that way. From the reading and viewing of Canadian media that I’ve done, I think it’s more so the frustration with 20 years of general failure as a net revenue detractor versus contributor, bumbling and inneffective ownership to find a true home and desire to see it to a resolution.

Like I said, I hope for the same and I truly hope it’s in the valley, north of the 101 near Scottsdale Rd. Would close for me to get there. :)

Reactions: HolyCrap

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Hey guys, I just woke up from a 10 year slumber, what did I miss? ..oh, this is still a thing? 😒😔

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I just think the NHL could do more. It is a small city, be trading one small market for a new small market. Houston makes far more sense to me as a major city that is untapped so far if you get good ownership it has the potential to be a strong market.

Out of all the poorly thought out processes that place sports franchises in cities they don’t belong in, I don’t really feel that denying Texas a second hockey team is one of them.

Utah at least has hosted the Winter Olympics, has a winter sports draw, etc. A second team in Texas would get the “bastard red-head stepchild treatment” about 2 seconds after the start of a local HS football broadcast. I get that Houston’s gained loads of northern transplants, but speaking as someone who lived in Austin for work long enough to note the lack of Stars presence in the city where the Stars’ AHL affiliate plays, I truly believe SLC would be the “thirstier” franchise……kind of like how Winnipeg’s tumult over their team overshadows their size, but to a lesser extent.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Ahh, another Arizona coyotes ownership/arena/clowshow/dumbshits/gary/coyotesneedtofold/deadhorse/poor/highschoolstadium/mypondisbiggerthantheirarena/ect thread.

They’re either going to leave or they’re going to stay. Until then why is this an everyday thing?

And of course the Canadian media is going to give the full story, of course they will.
Elliot pretty much said on the PHNX broadcast he is not really informed on this.

A lot is theory and speculation

The Yotes ownership is in contact with the owners and Betttman. I don’t think they will come out publicly with anything until it is a firm yes or no, especially with what happened with Tempe. Anything they say will be dissected in the press. Better that they keep it as a need to know basis

Reactions: SR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad