Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not emotional by any stretch, been dealing with it for 20 years and counting. Just shedding light on a piece that came out of a TSN writer.

Sure franks from Philly, he’s paid by a Canadian outlet.

Again, I’m not digging for you because personally I don’t care, I’ve already read em. Go on ahead and do your own work, I’m not doing it for you. If you don’t believe me, I really couldn’t care less. Carry on
What TSN writer? Neither Elliott or Seravalli work for TSN.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I just wanted to say that those are incredibly good looking hockey shirts

jsynordiquescalvaire.png

The logo great tho

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I shouldn’t have to. The bias toward any US market out of Canada is as clear as day, especially when you circle around a team that’s struggling that was once a Canadian team.
A Canadian team that left a Canadian market because of...arena problems. A Canadian market that got a new team and now supports that team (a really good team btw) at ~2,000 fewer fans per game than was supporting the Coyotes in Glendale. So however bad the AZ market is...Canadians need to own the fact that Winnipeg is worse.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I just wanted to say that those are incredibly good looking hockey shirts

jsynordiquescalvaire.png
Absolutely. Always liked the look of those jerseys since I was a little kid. I’m a Leaf’s fan and even us and Habs fans prob agree with ya. Nostalgic.

hockeynugget

Nov 25, 2023
I’m not digging because I’ve already seen it. Again, I don’t care if you choose to believe it or not. I’m not trying to win people over. Also, not annoyed, I’m used to it, it’s just funny how much spin they put on it to fit their hatred for the team.
What spin are they putting on? As of right now, the auction on the land the Coyotes ownership group was bidding on to build their arena is hours away from being lost because it’s not part of the itinerary for the upcoming meeting, meaning council cannot vote on it, also meaning the deadline to buy the land/start building the arena will be missed. Thus again, back to square one of having no land to build an arena and no approval within the state of Arizona to begin building anywhere, once again.

There’s no secondary false spin being put on here by Canadian media.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
A Canadian team that left a Canadian market because of...arena problems. A Canadian market that got a new team and now supports that team (a really good team btw) at ~2,000 fewer fans per game than was supporting the Coyotes in Glendale. So however bad the AZ market is...Canadians need to own the fact that Winnipeg is worse.
Few things here:

Arizona is getting 4600 fans, Winnipeg 13000 fans. I don't care how Arizona did several years ago. What matters is today.

Winnipeg is much more profitable than Arizona. 22 million vs 5 million.

Why does all of Canada need to own Winnipegs attendance being 86%? Is all of the USA on the hook for Buffalo having 84% attendance, and SJ having 79% attendance?

I can say the same about Katy Strang of the athletic, a US outlet. Both were blown up and called out in their reporting. Walsh, more recently was butthurt because Meruelo didn’t give him the time of day on where the team was at in its proceedings to acquire land and then went and threw a fit.
Arizona's list of enemies grows by the day.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Few things here:

Arizona is getting 4600 fans, Winnipeg 13000 fans. I don't care how Arizona did several years ago. What matters is today.

Winnipeg is much more profitable than Arizona. 22 million vs 5 million.

Why does all of Canada need to own Winnipegs attendance being 86%? Is all of the USA on the hook for Buffalo having 84% attendance, and SJ having 79% attendance?

Arizona's list of enemies grows by the day.
We like it like that, add your name to the list.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
150 dollar average ticket in Wpg vs $15 tickets in Arizona ( when in Glendale, I’m sure ticket prices are more expensive in their “new” 4000 seat arena”).

Anyways, my condolensces on losing your team. It sucks.

SLC isn’t too far of a drive compared to Winnipeg - Arizona drive. You should still be able to see some games.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I honestly feel its not a lost market.

In my opinion, i think its best to relocate the team and potentially try again in a few years. Try to find stable ownership who can secure land. It would suck for the locals and fans in the short term but i think hockey in arizona needs a hard reset.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What spin are they putting on? As of right now, the auction on the land the Coyotes ownership group was bidding on to build their arena is hours away from being lost because it’s not part of the itinerary for the upcoming meeting, meaning council cannot vote on it, also meaning the deadline to buy the land/start building the arena will be missed. Thus again, back to square one of having no land to build an arena and no approval within the state of Arizona to begin building anywhere, once again.

There’s no secondary false spin being put on here by Canadian media.
There’s more to it. The city of Scottsdale needs to mitigate the flood path in order to have it zoned correctly to, so that’s another hurdle.

The 24 hour notice was submitted, was it approved? Won’t know until tomorrow. But the flood path is on the agenda and from what I know is the largest hurdle to the whole process.

Look, I am the first to admit the embarrassment of what this franchise is. They’ve been given too many chances, too many times. Why Gary has such an obsession to this market is beyond me. It may be because it’s the 5th largest market in the US and that potential is there, but we’ve been doing this for far too long. Glendale was never going to be successful. Aside from big out of market teams showing up, the place was empty and way too far for the casual fan.

It worked down town but that was in the early years, so it was new? They had a relatively decent team? And it was a lot closer? Who knows.

Giving this a chance where this ownership group has the potential to bring the team to the best location possible to be successful I believe is what Gary is looking at.

Ownership has the money, but failed Tempe flawlessly. This is and will be the last stab at this debacle, I can guarantee that. If they can’t secure this land, I hope they get relocated because at this point patience and exhaust has run out.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Only asking because I'm just a québécois that has access to highly biased canadian media, what's wrong with Utah?
I just think the NHL could do more. It is a small city, be trading one small market for a new small market. Houston makes far more sense to me as a major city that is untapped so far if you get good ownership it has the potential to be a strong market.

Reactions: WhataKnight and Jee

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don't know how we expect people down on their luck to figure out housing insecurity when the Coyotes can't.

• Haha
Reactions: DavidWilliamsCB

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Update is ownership seems to be flopping in everyway to get a new arena secured. Almost as if they're not trying hard. Which they might not be, *(idk)*. New ownership if forced to sell will walk away with lots of money.

Hopefully someone like the Ryan Reynolds/Snoop dog group will buy them. They need a committed owner and not a guy looking to plunder the league/team.

Do anything to keep it out of Quebec City.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad