News Article: LATEST BLOG: Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
after a few years i can see these two see how much of an irrational idiot wang is and take measures into buying him out

I am sure they realized this 5 minutes after talking to him. My guess is they structured it like this cause they knew that was the only way he was going to sell. In 2 years they will have majority control so the Wanger's meddling input will fall on deaf ears.

To Gallof.....I think this is pretty much what everyone on here expected seeing how the deal was structured. A partner is a partner.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I thought it was really interesting.. People say the same stuff over and over but at least this is a different look at the situation.. I believe it's parts fact, parts source, parts your theories.. in other words: exactly what we want from your site..

This is not a knock on Staple -- but he is spoon-fed information which is a double edged sword: he is both the main authority on the Islanders and has a lot of credibility, but he is also limited in what he can do with stuff he learns through other channels..

Speaking for myself, I like that you don't have that filter or obligation to the team.. Even LHH and IPB seem to be a little safe nearly all the time, so we need a site like yours that can color outside the lines..

The only concern I have (that I share with others) about this piece is the heavy use of anonymous sources.. everybody else does that, but you don't have an editor you have to prove your facts to whose own credibility is at stake and would keep you in check..
I like Staple but he's a puppet. Never a disparaging word. Always pro Islanders. That to me isn't a reporter/journalist, that's a puppet.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I almost always like your posts, APS, but I think you need to get on board with making nonsense up and explaining that it's speculation. If you draw conclusions based on actual evidence, it's harder for me to pull something out of my ass.

For example, I speculate that the Earth will be consumed by the sun next February. I don't have any evidence, and I don't know what I'm talking about, but the sun looks like it's hot, and it looked closer to the Earth then ever before today, at least IMHO. I put the chances that we survive the next six months at 32%.

Wang isn't selling, the team will be in Brooklyn for roughly three months before moving back, and my parents will probably get back together soon despite my father's passing. Speculation, I admit, but can you deny that my parents have had children, and therefore might one day have interest in having more? I'm pretty sure my mom's second marriage has an out clause.

The Blog Box is a pox upon the universe.

(Now THAT'S melodramatic)

LOL! They should just make a website called www.pullhockeyrumorsoutofyourass.com and herd all the rumor mongers onto it.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Typically buyers of sports franchises are extremely wealthy and successful people. They know how to make money in their business and have made a lot.
I do not believe that they turn their attention to sports franchise ownership with the main intent of it being a great investment that they can make even more money than they need. Barroway approached it differently and with his hedge fund background may have had his eyes on flipping the team for a big profit in a short while for his investors because that is what hedge funds do.
Ledecky has been identified by Forbes Magazine as the 24th wealthiest American. Malkin may even be more wealthy as he resides in the UK.
Buying a sports franchise is a sugar high for extremely wealth folks. It is a trophy purchase in many cases. These types will not accept poor management that loses money from sloppy operations or a weak operating plan, but sports accounting is a very different animal than most businesses and "losses" are often accounting losses and not cash losses. I am certain they will want to run the team on a cash positive basis but there are times when that does not happen for differing reasons just as large industrial corporations sometimes have a losing quarter.
I do not believe that anyone can say that Ledecky and Malkin will not allow cap spending if the revenue stream allows it. They will not have to show annual positive cash flow every single year to put bread on their table or buy their kids Christmas presents.
Losing a lot of free cash flow every year will not be acceptable, but an investment in winning at a small cost would likely be very tolerable to men of their means.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I like Staple but he's a puppet. Never a disparaging word. Always pro Islanders. That to me isn't a reporter/journalist, that's a puppet.

You're 100,000% correct.... but believe it or not, that's actually his job..

It'd be like calling out a Domino's employee for constantly making pizzas...

I'm sure Staple would love to be able to write a single 750,000 word blog post about every damn thing the New York Islanders do that proves we're inept and dysfunctional... but his role isn't that.. it's to basically take what he's given from sources and report it..

His main source is the team itself..

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

Staple is not a puppet and he doesn't tow the party line. He has made it clear thought that he sees himself as a reporter, not at a columnist. In other words, he leaves the speculation and opinion to sources like TSN and simply reports facts.

This is why you don't see Staple conjuring up wild trade ideas and then offering water-cooler talk as evidence. Remember Bob Mackenzie proclaiming that "it is believed that" Dipetro for Luongo makes sense?

BD, the OP, is somebody I have known on this board for years. He is a smart, careful, and thoughtful guy (and a friend). I agree that he is not as connected as Staple, and his columns often are more about his own consideration of facts that many of us already knew. However, unlike Mackenzie and Dreger, BD doesn't print wild speculation to drum up readership/viewership and he also doesn't misrepresent what he does know.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
I liked reading BD's stuff more when he was the NHL Masked Avenger!!

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Staple is not a puppet and he doesn't tow the party line. He has made it clear thought that he sees himself as a reporter, not at a columnist. In other words, he leaves the speculation and opinion to sources like TSN and simply reports facts.

This is why you don't see Staple conjuring up wild trade ideas and then offering water-cooler talk as evidence. Remember Bob Mackenzie proclaiming that "it is believed that" Dipetro for Luongo makes sense?

BD, the OP, is somebody I have known on this board for years. He is a smart, careful, and thoughtful guy (and a friend). I agree that he is not as connected as Staple, and his columns often are more about his own consideration of facts that many of us already knew. However, unlike Mackenzie and Dreger, BD doesn't print wild speculation to drum up readership/viewership and he also doesn't misrepresent what he does know.

It goes a bit deeper than that though. Newsday is owned by Cablevision, and Wang has a direct line of communication to Dolan. He's made his displeasure known about MSG employees before (see: Billy Jaffe). I'm sure Staple is a professional and doesn't actively slant his writing to ensure Wang doesn't complain, but at the same time it's not like he can be expected to be completely objective. Basically, I don't think what Newsday writes about MSG-owned teams and the Isles can be considered real journalism at this point — it's similar to how you can't expect ESPN/Fox/CBS talent to do real journalism about the NFL because their networks are dependent on contracts with the NFL for their existence.

scott99

May 13, 2005
You're 100,000% correct.... but believe it or not, that's actually his job..

It'd be like calling out a Domino's employee for constantly making pizzas...

I'm sure Staple would love to be able to write a single 750,000 word blog post about every damn thing the New York Islanders do that proves we're inept and dysfunctional... but his role isn't that.. it's to basically take what he's given from sources and report it..

His main source is the team itself..

Sorry to disagree, but I do. He works for Newsday, not the Islanders. So as a journalist and reporter, your job is to report the facts as accurately as possible, BUT, also give your opinion on things, whether they are pro or against. Wang runs a facist regime, so therefore if Staple says anything construed as negative against the Islanders, he loses his pipeline to everything inside Islanders, so he tows the line.

scott99

May 13, 2005

BD is a counter puncher. He waits for someone to say something, and then attacks with his own thoughts. And is usually wrong. Wasn't it him who said the Islanders weren't gonna move to Brooklyn. Wasn't it him who said there wasn't gonna be a sale anywhere in the near future. All these comments came after someone writes an article claiming that these things will happen. When Botta was around, you can almost bet, everytime he said something, BD would come out very shortly with a counterpoint.

But he also tells fibs. He clearly said there wasn't any sale pending, almost gloating when the Barroway lawsuit came out, and then 18 days later he had to backtrack when the sale to Ledecky and Malkin was announced. Then he tweets, just like I said, IF a sale happens, it will come with terms where Wang holds onto control for a couple years. I asked him, can you show me proof you said that ? No reply.

He also wrote an article about the Barroway breakup, and how his source, an NHL insider, said the Islanders aren't marketable and therefore won't sell for big money. Once again, wrong. This is what angers anyone silly enough to read his articles/tweets, always backtracking and beating his own chest. Even when he's wrong, which is most of the time.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I liked reading BD's stuff more when he was the NHL Masked Avenger!!

I especially liked this post immediately after Darth's defending BD in the post before it.

An earlier poster has it right, BD just wants clicks. Don't give him the satisfaction.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and there may be some smarts or even inside info buried in there, but he made a mistake years back and its the kind of mistake that makes you lose all credibility as a journalist of any sort. Forgive it? Maybe. Forget it? Nope.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry to disagree, but I do. He works for Newsday, not the Islanders. So as a journalist and reporter, your job is to report the facts as accurately as possible, BUT, also give your opinion on things, whether they are pro or against. Wang runs a facist regime, so therefore if Staple says anything construed as negative against the Islanders, he loses his pipeline to everything inside Islanders, so he tows the line.

Arthur Staple is a beat writer. A beat writer's job is to report facts, not offer opinions. Just because a local reporter doesn't validate Islander fans' many negative opinions in his or her work doesn't make that reporter a "puppet," nor does it change the basic tenets of newspaper journalism. If Arthur Staple were a columnist, which he is not, he would be responsible for praising or ripping the Islanders as necessary.

When was the last time anyone read an article on the police beat in which the reporter interjected his thoughts on whether the criminal did the deed or not?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Arthur Staple is a beat writer. A beat writer's job is to report facts, not offer opinions. Just because a local reporter doesn't validate Islander fans' many negative opinions in his or her work doesn't make that reporter a "puppet," nor does it change the basic tenets of newspaper journalism. If Arthur Staple were a columnist, which he is not, he would be responsible for praising or ripping the Islanders as necessary.

When was the last time anyone read an article on the police beat in which the reporter interjected his thoughts on whether the criminal did the deed or not?

But it's appropriate for a crime reporter to report on background issues as well — root causes of crime, theories of policing, externalities, etc. Staple could definitely do more stories that place a focus on management. He doesn't, and I think it's fair to speculate that part of the reason — even if not a wholly conscious reason — is that he's employed by a company that benefits financially from the Isles success and that Wang has a lot of influence with. It took much less to get Billy Jaffe pushed out.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
But it's appropriate for a crime reporter to report on background issues as well — root causes of crime, theories of policing, externalities, etc. Staple could definitely do more stories that place a focus on management. He doesn't, and I think it's fair to speculate that part of the reason — even if not a wholly conscious reason — is that he's employed by a company that benefits financially from the Isles success and that Wang has a lot of influence with. It took much less to get Billy Jaffe pushed out.

Hey, I get it. All Islander fans are loaded with pent-up frustration and want to open the paper in the morning and see that the main source of Islanders info is mirroring their anger and taking management to task. Unfortunately, this is not how the system works. Staple is doing the job he's been assigned.

When I was in college I was in a journalism class where everyone was assigned a beat in the local area. I was a beat reporter for a local suburban school district, and it so happened that this district was in the midst of a major building expansion. I had to go to board meetings and report the issues for the local paper. Of course, I could have interjected my opinions about whether or not the project was appropriate and if the residents should bear such a multi-million-dollar burden. But then the articles wouldn't be published. And I'd fail the class.

Same as the crime reporter you mention. If he submitted an article about a local criminal case and threw in some of his own beliefs about the root causes of crime, he'd be off the beat in short order. There is a major difference between a beat writer (Staple) and a columnist (ex. Brooks) who is paid to voice his opinion.

giddy up*

In fairness, it is purely speculation though.

BroadwayJay*

Literally every day in the Daily and the Post.

However, you're 100% correct. A beat writer collects data and delivers it. Opinion is for columnists, which Staple is not.

In fact, part of a beat writer's job is to cultivate sources; which Staple has done tremendously well. He has broken every single Islander headline I can think of. He's EXACTLY what a beat writer should be.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

I agree with you. Even some opinion, like in this article written by the Canes' beat writer would be a start. It often feels like Staple works for the Islanders.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/12/3779472/why-the-canes-missed-the-playoffs.html#

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Hey, I get it. All Islander fans are loaded with pent-up frustration and want to open the paper in the morning and see that the main source of Islanders info is mirroring their anger and taking management to task. Unfortunately, this is not how the system works. Staple is doing the job he's been assigned.

When I was in college I was in a journalism class where everyone was assigned a beat in the local area. I was a beat reporter for a local suburban school district, and it so happened that this district was in the midst of a major building expansion. I had to go to board meetings and report the issues for the local paper. Of course, I could have interjected my opinions about whether or not the project was appropriate and if the residents should bear such a multi-million-dollar burden. But then the articles wouldn't be published. And I'd fail the class.

Same as the crime reporter you mention. If he submitted an article about a local criminal case and threw in some of his own beliefs about the root causes of crime, he'd be off the beat in short order. There is a major difference between a beat writer (Staple) and a columnist (ex. Brooks) who is paid to voice his opinion.

I don't agree with this. I've worked in journalism (briefly, and certainly not enough to make me an expert — I edited my college paper; worked multiple journalism internships) and taken journalism classes. Reporting has to be objective, yes, but it also doesn't have to be limited to basic facts that are completely undisputed. To again return to the crime beat example, it would be totally appropriate for a crime reporter to report on police corruption or on how policing policy decisions are made.

There are many criticisms of Staple/Newsday that don't amount to the fact that Staple is not serving as a columnist or interjecting his opinions. There is plenty of objecting reporting that Staple could have done on how the Isles front office is structured (for example, why did a team stressing building through the draft employ the least scouts in the NHL for a period? When Ryan Jankowski left, how was his role filled? How much influence does Wang have in personnel decisions?) that would rely solely on factual reporting and not opinion. The fact that Staple has not done such reporting, and has largely limited himself to what can be seen on the ice and in the lockerroom, gives fans reasonable cause to see him as management friendly — a suspicion lent further credence by Newsday's ownership by MSG, and Wang's influence with MSG.

My view is that what Staple does cannot be considered real journalism because of Newsday's ownership by MSG. I believe the same thing about the work any major cable rights' holders do about the leagues they cover (ESPN/ABC/TNT aren't capable of "journalism" about the NBA; ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox aren't capable of "journalism" about the NFL). Do you not agree with this? If not, why not?

BroadwayJay*

I don't agree with this. I've worked in journalism (briefly, and certainly not enough to make me an expert — I edited my college paper; worked multiple journalism internships) and taken journalism classes. Reporting has to be objective, yes, but it also doesn't have to be limited to basic facts that are completely undisputed. To again return to the crime beat example, it would be totally appropriate for a crime reporter to report on police corruption or on how policing policy decisions are made.

There are many criticisms of Staple/Newsday that don't amount to the fact that Staple is not serving as a columnist or interjecting his opinions. There is plenty of objecting reporting that Staple could have done on how the Isles front office is structured (for example, why did a team stressing building through the draft employ the least scouts in the NHL for a period? When Ryan Jankowski left, how was his role filled? How much influence does Wang have in personnel decisions?) that would rely solely on factual reporting and not opinion. The fact that Staple has not done such reporting, and has largely limited himself to what can be seen on the ice and in the lockerroom, gives fans reasonable cause to see him as management friendly — a suspicion lent further credence by Newsday's ownership by MSG, and Wang's influence with MSG.

My view is that what Staple does cannot be considered real journalism because of Newsday's ownership by MSG. I believe the same thing about the work any major cable rights' holders do about the leagues they cover (ESPN/ABC/TNT aren't capable of "journalism" about the NBA; ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox aren't capable of "journalism" about the NFL). Do you not agree with this? If not, why not?

I wouldn't get into the deeper issues you're talking about and I'd just get into what Staple's job is.

A beat writer cultivates sources, collects information, verifies it, reports it to you.

A columnist offers opinion, a beat writer does not.

What you're describing, about the "why we had the fewest scouts", is really more investigative work and falls into the realm of the "sidebar" or the "magazine-style" piece. It is, in my view, a different animal than beat work. I consider it to be a good thing that Staple has managed to resist the temptations to let opinion creep into his work, which has been a disturbing trend in reporting since the beginning of the 24-hour TV news era. I would add that I think MSNBC, Fox News, and various other television outlets are just not doing what they should be doing; in my view. Cover the material, keep yourself out of it. What YOU, the reporter, think about the story is largely unimportant and is just self-aggrandizing. The story is the story.

Staple does what he is supposed to do, report the data he gathers. I think we should appreciate him for doing that and not criticize him for not doing a different job.

I'll give another example since I'm on a roll here. Dan Friedman, of the Blog Box, is a columnist. He writes opinion pieces and he does very little reporting. In my view, that is far less valuable than beat writing; which requires cultivating relationships and breaking stories.

Full disclosure, I have my bachelors in Journalism and before I was a lawyer (many years ago) I was a sports writer (college and high schools) at a substantially-sized circulation daily.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I wouldn't get into the deeper issues you're talking about and I'd just get into what Staple's job is.

A beat writer cultivates sources, collects information, verifies it, reports it to you.

A columnist offers opinion, a beat writer does not.

What you're describing, about the "why we had the fewest scouts", is really more investigative work and falls into the realm of the "sidebar" or the "magazine-style" piece. It is, in my view, a different animal than beat work. I consider it to be a good thing that Staple has managed to resist the temptations to let opinion creep into his work, which has been a disturbing trend in reporting since the beginning of the 24-hour TV news era. I would add that I think MSNBC, Fox News, and various other television outlets are just not doing what they should be doing; in my view. Cover the material, keep yourself out of it. What YOU, the reporter, think about the story is largely unimportant and is just self-aggrandizing. The story is the story.

Staple does what he is supposed to do, report the data he gathers. I think we should appreciate him for doing that and not criticize him for not doing a different job.

I'll give another example since I'm on a roll here. Dan Friedman, of the Blog Box, is a columnist. He writes opinion pieces and he does very little reporting. In my view, that is far less valuable than beat writing; which requires cultivating relationships and breaking stories.

Full disclosure, I have my bachelors in Journalism and before I was a lawyer (many years ago) I was a sports writer (college and high schools) at a substantially-sized circulation daily.

I think you can do reporting on front office structure and management style without it being a sidebar or a magazine-style feature. An article about how many scouts we have, what their responsibilities are, and how that compares to the league norm isn't exactly deep investigation. Neither would a report explaining how the team replaced the work done by Ryan Jankowski.

BroadwayJay*

I think you can do reporting on front office structure and management style without it being a sidebar or a magazine-style feature. An article about how many scouts we have, what their responsibilities are, and how that compares to the league norm isn't exactly deep investigation. Neither would a report explaining how the team replaced the work done by Ryan Jankowski.

It isn't hard news though.

That is "sidebar".

News is what is happening now. That's more sidebar stuff.

And he could write sidebars, I agree. Send him a tweet and ask him to cover that stuff, he probably will if his editors give him the space.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005

Newsday gives the Islanders space on its pages for game stories, relevant news and things like training-camp reports. It assigns Arthur Staple to provide those items. The things that you are describing might interest you, me and the vast majority of die-hard Islander fans -- and, quite frankly, I'm sure they interest Staple a great deal as well -- but they do not interest Newsday as those stories are outside the scope of what Newsday is willing to spend in page space on the Isles. Maybe it would be different if there was more of a thirst for Islanders info in the daily paper, and there was a bigger market for investigative reports on the state of the Islanders' scouting hierarchy, but clearly that is not the case.

It sounds like your ire should be directed at Newsday rather than Staple.

Last edited:

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Newsday gives the Islanders space on its pages for game stories, relevant news and things like training-camp reports. It assigns Arthur Staple to provide those items. The things that you are describing might interest you, me and the vast majority of die-hard Islander fans -- and, quite frankly, I'm sure they interest Staple a great deal as well -- but they do not interest Newsday as those stories are outside the scope of what Newsday is willing to spend in page space on the Isles. Maybe it would be different if there was more of a thirst for Islanders info in the daily paper, and there was a bigger market for investigative reports on the state of the Islanders' scouting hierarchy, but clearly that is not the case.

It sounds like your ire should be directed at Newsday rather than Staple.

That's fair. My problem is largely with Newsday. Staple does an OK job. I appreciate that his reporting is always reliable and his writing is clear. For an example of terrible beat reporting, with poor writing, conjecture and unsupported opinion strewn everywhere, basically read every football beat reporter for a NY tabloid.

BroadwayJay's description of what is and isn't hard news has a lot of truth to it, but I think it might also be slightly outdated. The last decade has seen an explosion in interest in sports as business and in sports offseasons. Many sports reporters basically work full-time most of the year now, reporting on how front offices scout players and how decisions are being made. It is in fact strange that the Isles are not covered with the same level of analysis/rigor that most professional sports teams are covered.

PJGooch raises a really good point though. It could be that these stories aren't done because there simply isn't as much interest for Isles coverage as we wish there was. That surely is part of the explanation. I just think that MSG's ownership of Newsday is part of it too.

BroadwayJay*

That's fair. My problem is largely with Newsday. Staple does an OK job. I appreciate that his reporting is always reliable and his writing is clear. For an example of terrible beat reporting, with poor writing, conjecture and unsupported opinion strewn everywhere, basically read every football beat reporter for a NY tabloid.

BroadwayJay's description of what is and isn't hard news has a lot of truth to it, but I think it might also be slightly outdated. The last decade has seen an explosion in interest in sports as business and in sports offseasons. Many sports reporters basically work full-time most of the year now, reporting on how front offices scout players and how decisions are being made. It is in fact strange that the Isles are not covered with the same level of analysis/rigor that most professional sports teams are covered.

PJGooch raises a really good point though. It could be that these stories aren't done because there simply isn't as much interest for Isles coverage as we wish there was. That surely is part of the explanation. I just think that MSG's ownership of Newsday is part of it too.

I'll concede that I am outdated. However, I don't consider the changes in "news" to be a good thing. I think ESPN is horrendous, I think CNN, Fox News, MSNBC are all garbage, and I think the good journalism, print journalism, is being eliminated. I consider that to be quite deleterious to society.

Sometimes all an old man can do is stomp his feet - angrily. That's what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad