News Article: LATEST BLOG: Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Oh and get rid of the "sources". Even if they're real--they read like opinions. There's really no purpose for them IMO.

Get rid of the "sources?" If he did that then how would any of his posts be different than any of our posts?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
agreed partly. People who own pro sports franchises were usually for the most part pretty well off before owner their particular team. I would think most Prospective buyers want to own a team for the love of the game and for the thrill of building a champion.

For owners whos family have been in the business for generations its more of a business..

Im sure Ledeky and Malkin wont be any better off in quality of life/living conditions than they were before they decided to become an owner of a sports franchise.

People who're that well off typically don't get there by happenstance. $500+million is still $500+million. You don't get there by being poor at business.

VinnyV88

Feb 5, 2007
It just seems so odd to me. He always posts blogs here, they are always borderline terrible, and he always get ripped because how bad they are, yet he keeps on posting them. Nobody seems to appreciate these blogs, maybe he's a glutton for punishment ?

I know it's not easy, and I'm sure it takes hard work, but some people just aren't good at things. I remember one of his first blogs he posted here was a "review" of one of our drafts, and it basically just listed our draft choices, "so and so is a wing from Boston College", I was shocked at how bad it was. Even suggested, maybe you should put some of YOUR insight into the picks, a review actually has input. I don't know, I'm sure if I met the guy, I'd probably like him, seems like a nice enough guy, just not a good blogger with poor sources, press credentials or not.

Every blogger needs to carve him/herself out a niche. The reality is all he cares about is the clicks. The more traffic, the more ad money he makes. He don't care if you go because you enjoy his blog or go there so you can rip him a new butthole. The second you click on his ****** blog or follow him twitter, he wins. The best thing we can do is ignore him and he will eventually go away.

This tool started following me on twitter just to see if i would follow back.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
People who're that well off typically don't get there by happenstance. $500+million is still $500+million. You don't get there by being poor at business.

absolutely... I agree its still a business at the end of the day but when you get to the point where you can/want to afford/buy a pro sports franchise, I don't think the overall goal is to make money. Its to develop a winning team and the joy of owning a pro team.

What man, especially a wealthy one wouldn't want to own a sports franchise?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The morning of the day the Isles signed Grabovsky, I asked BD if the Isles had any interest in Grabovsky. He gave me a one-word answer: No.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but his sourcing is probably limited to one or two people and they may not be high enough on the chain for really good information.

Pretty much. It would help if he edited once in a while too...

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
absolutely... I agree its still a business at the end of the day but when you get to the point where you can/want to afford/buy a pro sports franchise, I don't think the overall goal is to make money. Its to develop a winning team and the joy of owning a pro team.

What man, especially a wealthy one wouldn't want to own a sports franchise?

Owning a spots team is a combo of ego and wanting to make more money. Just like the average joe wants a raise of a few bucks an hour joe millionaire wants a raise as well, just on a larger scale.

There only so much money an owner will tolerate losing ( can only right off X amount as a tax loss)

giddy up*

I am never going to knock someone for their efforts.

However this article has as much merit as if I or anyone else on this board wrote it. Nothing can be taken too seriously. Let's wait and see what the owners do before spreading unsubstantiated rumors about their intentions. Charles will also have no final say in 2 years. Don't be over dramatic. It's great to have new owners.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I've heard people in here say, "These new owners didn't spend 500+ million to lose money."

Fair point.

However I'll bet you a billion dollars that they also didn't spend 500+ million to have wang as a partner with a significant say of any kind once they take control in two years.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Every blogger needs to carve him/herself out a niche. The reality is all he cares about is the clicks. The more traffic, the more ad money he makes. He don't care if you go because you enjoy his blog or go there so you can rip him a new butthole. The second you click on his ****** blog or follow him twitter, he wins. The best thing we can do is ignore him and he will eventually go away.

This tool started following me on twitter just to see if i would follow back.

Are you Red Tinted Visor on that other message board ? If so, welcome to our humble abide.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Let me say this, Wang is in control for another 2 years. That's not to say that the new bosses in 2 years aren't going to want to see a winning culture. Hopefully things will change. Wang will then be in a minority and therefore marginalized to his 1/3 share or less. So long as the majority partners agree Wang's opinion means little. Garth has 2 years, the sand in the hour glass is running out.

I would not be shocked to see changes coming once the new majority takes over. While they did spend a pretty penny for the team, I can't see them staying near the cap floor especially in Brooklyn. It will never work.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
So these sources..... Are these the same sources that said Wang IS NOT SELLING THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS?:sarcasm:

All in all not a bad article, I wanna see some sources next time though or else it really is tough to believe those quotes man.

This article also sounded rather negative for reporting news about Charles Wang selling the team....

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The Islanders are a business first and foremost. EVERY professional team is (if you want to follow a team that doesn't have the philosophy you can follow the Packers, because that's it). It's a business. Period.

You don't drop half a billion dollars to "win", you do it to make money.

As fan it's very easy for us to forget that notion.

Ok. But they also didn't just buy a team to suck either. Most people in sports understand the concept that winning = financial success. If you want to win, you have to spend. What is even better for this club is the new owners have a 15 million dollar head start.

Did you catch that? Many here do not, so I am going to make it stand out:

THE NEW OWNERS HAVE A $15 MILLION DOLLAR PER SEASON FREE GIFT COURTESY OF BETTMAN AND THE LAST CBA.

It is actually more than that based on the increase in revenues, but let's just say $15 large for now as that is what was verified recently.

That means whatever the owners spend, deduct 15 million from that right off the top, and that is how much they are really spending. Luckily they have to spend about half of that on payroll if last season may be used as a yardstick. So $7m+ for payroll, $7m+ for toilet paper and breath mints, and there is no reason on earth for Ledecky, Malkin, and Wang to not spend to the max, because it really isn't "spending to the max." It is spending to the max MINUS $15 million (or more, haha).

Because of that, I pre-emptively call BS on anyone suggesting that it is fair and understandable for the ownership triad not to spend close to the max each season now, and moving forward.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
It all seems pretty obvious.

Wang wants control, even a little bit after the majority ownership takes over. He'll have input, of course. Any minority shareholder has some clout.

Of course Snow keeps his job if the team performs well the next two years.

Of course the team is not a ceiling cap team for the next couple of years. Why would they be? They have a whole new world they're about to enter, they're not going to throw caution to the wind and sign UFA's to outrageous deals when the new NHL revolves around development of picks, bridge contracts and long-term contracts given out early to RFA's so they don't get maximum value right before they become unrestricted...

...and yes, there will be a jettisoning of some of the top picks this team has accumulated. Tavares, Okposo, Grabovski, Kulemin, Nielsen, Lee, Strome, Nelson, Dal Colle, Ho Sang, Collberg....that could be a huge amount of salary in three-four years...they're obviously not staying.

Neither will all of de Haan, Reinhart, Hamonic, Pulock, Pokka, Mayfield, Pelech, Hickey be around.

I'm not going to pick on grammar, unnamed sources, etc. I will say that the article does address what's about to happen in all likelihood (and none of it is a revelation to anyone that's followed a franchise in the salary cap era).

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I find it hard to believe that two partners, who are sharp and close friends are going to let Wang have any say a all. Plus, these guys have money and know how to make money. You make money by winning and one of the partners is a sports phanatic. The guy wants to win.

after a few years i can see these two see how much of an irrational idiot wang is and take measures into buying him out

louie lighthouse

Jan 3, 2009
Just seems like a lot of your opinion, & that's fine. Nothing concrete, just constant "Source" comments, which really mean nothing.

Wouldn't this be some tidbits on how YOU think the joint ownership will work? I couldn't care less how it works, other than we finally have people coming in who care about the product on the ice, and not a business/land deal.

Only one viable source for Islander news... and is name is Arthur Staple. All the rest are pretenders with their own opinions.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
Let me say this, Wang is in control for another 2 years. That's not to say that the new bosses in 2 years aren't going to want to see a winning culture. Hopefully things will change. Wang will then be in a minority and therefore marginalized to his 1/3 share or less. So long as the majority partners agree Wang's opinion means little. Garth has 2 years, the sand in the hour glass is running out.

I would not be shocked to see changes coming once the new majority takes over. While they did spend a pretty penny for the team, I can't see them staying near the cap floor especially in Brooklyn. It will never work.

The fact these two guys are friends will make Wangs share and opinion very small if Wang even has a 1/3 which I doubt. I think it's more like the 20 percent we heard for a while.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is the NYI and the company that manages the sports holdings of the pair and WANG will divest his share of NYI in return getting a share of the HOLDING COMPANY......that's what it said sale day.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I almost always like your posts, APS, but I think you need to get on board with making nonsense up and explaining that it's speculation. If you draw conclusions based on actual evidence, it's harder for me to pull something out of my ass.

For example, I speculate that the Earth will be consumed by the sun next February. I don't have any evidence, and I don't know what I'm talking about, but the sun looks like it's hot, and it looked closer to the Earth then ever before today, at least IMHO. I put the chances that we survive the next six months at 32%.

Wang isn't selling, the team will be in Brooklyn for roughly three months before moving back, and my parents will probably get back together soon despite my father's passing. Speculation, I admit, but can you deny that my parents have had children, and therefore might one day have interest in having more? I'm pretty sure my mom's second marriage has an out clause.

The Blog Box is a pox upon the universe.

(Now THAT'S melodramatic)

Ok. But they also didn't just buy a team to suck either. Most people in sports understand the concept that winning = financial success. If you want to win, you have to spend. What is even better for this club is the new owners have a 15 million dollar head start.

Did you catch that? Many here do not, so I am going to make it stand out:

THE NEW OWNERS HAVE A $15 MILLION DOLLAR PER SEASON FREE GIFT COURTESY OF BETTMAN AND THE LAST CBA.

It is actually more than that based on the increase in revenues, but let's just say $15 large for now as that is what was verified recently.

That means whatever the owners spend, deduct 15 million from that right off the top, and that is how much they are really spending. Luckily they have to spend about half of that on payroll if last season may be used as a yardstick. So $7m+ for payroll, $7m+ for toilet paper and breath mints, and there is no reason on earth for Ledecky, Malkin, and Wang to not spend to the max, because it really isn't "spending to the max." It is spending to the max MINUS $15 million (or more, haha).

Because of that, I pre-emptively call BS on anyone suggesting that it is fair and understandable for the ownership triad not to spend close to the max each season now, and moving forward.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Some tidbits on how the new ownership will eventually work...

NY ISLANDERS REPORT: Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/bdgallof/54900/

I thought it was really interesting.. People say the same stuff over and over but at least this is a different look at the situation.. I believe it's parts fact, parts source, parts your theories.. in other words: exactly what we want from your site..

This is not a knock on Staple -- but he is spoon-fed information which is a double edged sword: he is both the main authority on the Islanders and has a lot of credibility, but he is also limited in what he can do with stuff he learns through other channels..

Speaking for myself, I like that you don't have that filter or obligation to the team.. Even LHH and IPB seem to be a little safe nearly all the time, so we need a site like yours that can color outside the lines..

The only concern I have (that I share with others) about this piece is the heavy use of anonymous sources.. everybody else does that, but you don't have an editor you have to prove your facts to whose own credibility is at stake and would keep you in check..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad