News Article: LATEST BLOG: Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Can you at least spell one of the owners names correctly? You call him Scott makin 15 times in that article. I'm wondering if you even know who he is or what his name actually is. Hard to spell someone's name incorrectly that many times in such a short article. Then again the whole thing is littered with spelling and grammatical errors.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate the idea of having a "3 headed monster" ownership.

I also don't like that they are "Wang like" in that they will run it as a business to make money.

I understand that everyone needs to make money but in the sports world I believe the ultimate goal should be to win. In fact, winning leads to more money anyway with Playoff games, merchandise, and popularity. I always believe that owners who are willing to spend on the product are rewarded in the back end

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I also don't like that they are "Wang like" in that they will run it as a business to make money.

I understand that everyone needs to make money but in the sports world I believe the ultimate goal should be to win. In fact, winning leads to more money anyway with Playoff games, merchandise, and popularity. I always believe that owners who are willing to spend on the product are rewarded in the back end

The Islanders are a business first and foremost. EVERY professional team is (if you want to follow a team that doesn't have the philosophy you can follow the Packers, because that's it). It's a business. Period.

You don't drop half a billion dollars to "win", you do it to make money.

As fan it's very easy for us to forget that notion.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

We still don't know how the actual management structure will shape up. Technically Wang and Kumar were "co-owners" for a few years, but Kumar was basically a silent partner. I haven't heard anything that links Scott Malkin to sports; it's not impossible he's in on the deal primarily as an investor.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This would explain Wang's overlooked comment about looking forward to a long partnership with Ledecky and Malkin.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Can you at least spell one of the owners names correctly? You call him Scott makin 15 times in that article. I'm wondering if you even know who he is or what his name actually is. Hard to spell someone's name incorrectly that many times in such a short article. Then again the whole thing is littered with spelling and grammatical errors.

Very insightful article BD, but I agree with the above poster got to clean it up a little to be less distracting. You are better than this.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
I find it hard to believe that two partners, who are sharp and close friends are going to let Wang have any say a all. Plus, these guys have money and know how to make money. You make money by winning and one of the partners is a sports phanatic. The guy wants to win.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia

"Random Quote"- Source

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
The Islanders are a business first and foremost. EVERY professional team is (if you want to follow a team that doesn't have the philosophy you can follow the Packers, because that's it). It's a business. Period.

This. This. This... a thousand times this.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just seems like a lot of your opinion, & that's fine. Nothing concrete, just constant "Source" comments, which really mean nothing.

Wouldn't this be some tidbits on how YOU think the joint ownership will work? I couldn't care less how it works, other than we finally have people coming in who care about the product on the ice, and not a business/land deal.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Re-signing Okposo will be the first test of the new ownership. If they lowball him out of town like they've done for others who left, then I'll be worried.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Well, that Mr Source is VERY CONVINCING. I would home Mr Malkin is a better owner than Mr Makin. Or is his name really Makin? Can we get the source to speak up on that?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wait, I thought B.D. said there is no sale, was never any sale? Where did these other owners come from?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
BD, it just angers me at the end, but also makes me kinda feel good at the same time. A lukewarm feeling if you would.

If Malkin and Ledecky won't increase the payroll dramatically, we have to at least hope they resign Okposo & the rest of the core when there contracts are up.

BroadwayJay*

Wait, I thought B.D. said there is no sale, was never any sale? Where did these other owners come from?

The morning of the day the Isles signed Grabovsky, I asked BD if the Isles had any interest in Grabovsky. He gave me a one-word answer: No.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but his sourcing is probably limited to one or two people and they may not be high enough on the chain for really good information.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I applaud you for starting a blog, I'm sure it's fun and all. But before publishing it make sure to get all of the kinks out first. This just doesn't scream professional to me, especially the picture of Wang at the top (as funny as it was). Just make sure to take that important step and to revise.

I make youtube videos (not about hockey) and I ALL WAYS revise them now...it's amazing how much better my videos are now compared to before. They're just smoother.

Good luck!

Oh and get rid of the "sources". Even if they're real--they read like opinions. There's really no purpose for them IMO.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Well -- he does display an all access media pass, so that should count for something, right?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

agreed partly. People who own pro sports franchises were usually for the most part pretty well off before owner their particular team. I would think most Prospective buyers want to own a team for the love of the game and for the thrill of building a champion.

For owners whos family have been in the business for generations its more of a business..

Im sure Ledeky and Malkin wont be any better off in quality of life/living conditions than they were before they decided to become an owner of a sports franchise.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We still don't know how the actual management structure will shape up. Technically Wang and Kumar were "co-owners" for a few years, but Kumar was basically a silent partner. I haven't heard anything that links Scott Malkin to sports; it's not impossible he's in on the deal primarily as an investor.

you may be right. Supposedly Ledeky and Malkin were roomates in college and have always remained close friends.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I applaud you for starting a blog, I'm sure it's fun and all. But before publishing it make sure to get all of the kinks out first. This just doesn't scream professional to me, especially the picture of Wang at the top (as funny as it was). Just make sure to take that important step and to revise.

I make youtube videos (not about hockey) and I ALL WAYS revise them now...it's amazing how much better my videos are now compared to before. They're just smoother.

Good luck!

Oh and get rid of the "sources". Even if they're real--they read like opinions. There's really no purpose for them IMO.

My favorite is: "per one source that is familiar with the NHL team purchase process." That could literally be anyone who pays attention to media reports/has the slightest degree of experience in law or major transactions.

This isn't a report on national security. These are pretty mundane opinions. The questions the articles raises actually makes it less informative than saying nothing.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It just seems so odd to me. He always posts blogs here, they are always borderline terrible, and he always get ripped because how bad they are, yet he keeps on posting them. Nobody seems to appreciate these blogs, maybe he's a glutton for punishment ?

I know it's not easy, and I'm sure it takes hard work, but some people just aren't good at things. I remember one of his first blogs he posted here was a "review" of one of our drafts, and it basically just listed our draft choices, "so and so is a wing from Boston College", I was shocked at how bad it was. Even suggested, maybe you should put some of YOUR insight into the picks, a review actually has input. I don't know, I'm sure if I met the guy, I'd probably like him, seems like a nice enough guy, just not a good blogger with poor sources, press credentials or not.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
agreed partly. People who own pro sports franchises were usually for the most part pretty well off before owner their particular team. I would think most Prospective buyers want to own a team for the love of the game and for the thrill of building a champion.

For owners whos family have been in the business for generations its more of a business..

Im sure Ledeky and Malkin wont be any better off in quality of life/living conditions than they were before they decided to become an owner of a sports franchise.

This is exactly right. I've used this example before, but billionaire Larry Ellison, who's tried to buy multiple NBA teams, spends millions every few years building a boat to compete in a boat race. No one asks whether his America's Cup boat is a profit-maximizing venture. Sports franchises are basically more expensive versions of that. Owners are fine bilking taxpayers, squeezing players' associations and gouging fans because they can, but if those opportunities didn't exist there would still be tons of mega-rich people lining up to own franchises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad