TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
on Fallon, I don't really know, cuz I just PVR episodes and skip monologues or any skits he does, just watch the interviews and sometimes the games he plays. Mediocre as ever, but he has grown on me (from the point before where I thought he was boring and not that good), I feel he brings out some good stuff from the guests and puts people at ease. He is a talented guy.

I love Colbert and continue to watch, just not sure if he's going to be a sure thing. I applaud the effort though. Have definitely like the guests he's had on.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Fallon is god-awful at interviews, which IMO is the most key aspect of being a late-night host. I have never seen a host come across as so fake and stumble with his words so much. Truly awful. He should get credit for some of the skits/bits he does (certainly has mass appeal going for him in that regard), but his interviewing ability makes him more or less unwatchable to me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Still no rapport with Batiste and the band though. They showed a little bit of personality with Colbert's "getting paid time and a half" line, but still no jokes or witty banter between host and band.

Pretty sure he's poking fun at that whole talk-show staple when he asks the entire band a question and they all reply at the same time, making it inaudible. Just seems like something he won't be doing on the show, at least at this point.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I thought tonight's episode was tremendous. Two old school style Colbert bits, and I thought the Bernie Sanders interview was great. I wonder though, was Colbert playing devil's advocate, falling into old habit, or does he actually hold pretty conservative political values?

Colbert is still shaky on his throws though. After the Bernie interview he repeated Bernie's name three times and didn't give the "well be right back with (musical act) after the break" line.

Still no rapport with Batiste and the band though. They showed a little bit of personality with Colbert's "getting paid time and a half" line, but still no jokes or witty banter between host and band.

Sanders is crazy so Colbert dug deep to get a discussion going. Also we've seen Colbert outside of his TV character a few times and he's pretty normal meaning he's a bit progressive and a bit conservative.

I don't get this? Am I supposed to find something amusing and/or annoying about someone's mannerisms?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm blown away that people find Fallon funny, or even remotely tolerable.

For some reason, people thought Fallon was funny on SNL. I thought he sucked then and sure as hell believe he sucks now.

The only noteworthy thing is that he appears to be a good guy. Which is a far cry from his predecessor.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Elizabeth Warren killed it on Wednesday. I mean am I crazy, or would she pretty much run away with the Dems nominee if she ran?

The Joker*

Elizabeth Warren killed it on Wednesday. I mean am I crazy, or would she pretty much run away with the Dems nominee if she ran?
You're crazy, but that doesn't mean she didn't kill it (I haven't seen yet) and wouldn't be a good option.

The Trump interview was so strange, but maybe he toned it back a bit after he just destroyed Cruz the night before. As much as I love him tearing apart idiots like Cruz, it's tougher for him to do now that he's the big man on Late Show.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
He didn't tear Cruz apart. Give me a break.

In fact I thought the way he admonished the crowd when it started groaning during the gay marriage conversation was incredibly impressive.

The Joker*

In fact I thought the way he admonished the crowd when it started groaning during the gay marriage conversation was incredibly impressive.
Yes he did. He took non-stop shots at him. Corned him on the Reagan thing. Took shots about gay marriage.

You think Cruz came out of that interview feeling like he accomplished what he went there to do?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

He used to get kind of ticked on the Report as well with audiences vocalizing on opinions during interviews, and he would always attempt to settle them down. I can't stand that Oprah/Ricki Lake daytime TV crap either, and don't know why audiences feel the need to do that.

It's what I hate about Larry Wilmore's show (well, along with the fact it sucks), because that's pretty much all it is.

"Racism is bad."

*thunderous applause* Woooooooooooo! *thunderous applause*

Ugh. Just shut up and let people talk.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually think the political interviews he's doing right now are great television. He's unable to be as direct and blunt about his ridicule, but he's perfectly walking that line and take exactly the right jabs to let the interviewees expose themselves. I'm impressed.

It's an interesting approach-- I wonder how long this can last, and how comfortable the audiences/NBC's going to be with it being a trend.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Fallon is god-awful at interviews, which IMO is the most key aspect of being a late-night host. I have never seen a host come across as so fake and stumble with his words so much. Truly awful. He should get credit for some of the skits/bits he does (certainly has mass appeal going for him in that regard), but his interviewing ability makes him more or less unwatchable to me.

Yep, the guy has tremendous comedic instincts, but hearing him speak is intolerable.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Late Show is starting to hit it's stride. It is starting to feel like The Colbert Report, but with a monologue, more guests, and a musical act every night...i.e. it is better than I had even dared hope!

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
What I really like is that the second interview is almost always substantive (or at least political :sarcasm: ), instead of some B-list actor. I, like many others, was worried that that part of the Report might have transferred over.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Yes he did. He took non-stop shots at him. Corned him on the Reagan thing. Took shots about gay marriage.

You think Cruz came out of that interview feeling like he accomplished what he went there to do?

I can't imagine there's much to accomplish on the late night talk show circuit other than exposure and feigning a relatable sense of humor.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I just finally had a chance to watch the whole segment in full, and Cruz didn't come off well in that at all. Colbert really got him on a couple of things. Now, I don't believe Colbert set out to do that, but when the opportunity presented itself, he took it.

I don't even want to get into Cruz's apparent problem with the Supreme Court though...it was just :facepalm: worthy

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I actually think the political interviews he's doing right now are great television. He's unable to be as direct and blunt about his ridicule, but he's perfectly walking that line and take exactly the right jabs to let the interviewees expose themselves. I'm impressed.

It's an interesting approach-- I wonder how long this can last, and how comfortable the audiences/NBC's going to be with it being a trend.

Why would NBC care what Colbert is doing?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His interviews are magnificent. He's a perfect combination of comedic instinct and compelling conversationalist. His traditional daily news segments are always good for laughs too.

If he can improve on his monologue and come up with some memorable segments that people can associate with his show, then he should be OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad