TV: Late Show - Letterman retiring May 20; Colbert debuting Sept 8 (post: 248)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's the wrong guy for the job plain and simple.

I think it's going to be interesting.

He's going to have to find a way to reconcile his previous role with his current one, to find a comedy formula that works with people's expectations yet is suited for the traditional late night talk show format. Ironically, his reputation is his biggest obstacle right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The traditional late night talk show format is his biggest obstacle. He should just make it disappear.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Still think Fallon sucks. He does his own thing, though, which is commendable, I guess, but his own thing is pretty cornball (other than the musical stuff he sometimes does).

They did a really bad job with the format/set design of the Colbert Late Show, IMO-- it has a very tacky daytime television vibe to it, and Colbert seems to be neutered playing along with it. Not sure what he's going to do to make it better. You can't start your own late night talk show and just do everything the same way as is traditionally done. Conan took forever to make it work, but have you seen those early episodes? He was trying all kinds of things.

Unless Colbert demands that everything be changed, I don't know if just organically getting better and more comfortable over time is enough. But I'm sure he will organically get better and more comfortable.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Colbert needs to find his groove, but I think his introductory sections have been great (though shoehorning all the NFLers in was a tad forced) and I think his interviewing will get better as he's obviously just a tad rusty with the long time off. His conversation with Biden was phenomenal, though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I definitely am not a big fan of the set design. It is too bright...too much blue and red. Fallon and Conan both have great sets.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Yeah, it really was. You'd never see that interview on Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, Meyers etc. That's where his niche is, imo, genuine interviews.

Yeah interviewing politicians/high profile people I think will be his thing per say. You just won't get a deep serious interview like the Biden one last night with Fallon, Kinmel etc.

After 3 days I see the potential. The late night format is something Colbert is still trying to figure out. My hope is he does his own thing instead of following the traditional format. Craig Ferguson did such a great job because he realizes following a script and copying every other late night show wasn't going to make his show stand out so he made it his own. I think Colbert will eventually understand what works and what doesn't for him. It's going to take some time but he's going to get there. It's only 3 episodes in so far, this show is very much in the trial and error stage.

Sep 19, 2008
Be yourself and don't try to be like everyone else. Best of luck to him as he tries to find the proper show

Last we need is him being cookie cutter so break out of the mold.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah, it really was. You'd never see that interview on Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, Meyers etc. That's where his niche is, imo, genuine interviews.

Well to be fair none of Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, or almost anybody else on television can relate to Joe Biden the way Colbert can. They have both suffered MASSIVE family tragedy in their lives.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Have Jon Stewart be the sidekick, he's got nothing to do right now. I've only watched the first two episodes so far and I'll be in it for the long haul since I'm a big Colbert fan

JA

Well to be fair none of Conan, Fallon, Kimmel, or almost anybody else on television can relate to Joe Biden the way Colbert can. They have both suffered MASSIVE family tragedy in their lives.

Steve Higgins, Fallon's sidekick, has had it pretty rough.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/indiana_woman_killed_2_injured.html
Iowa woman killed, at least 4 injured after crash on I-78 in Lebanon
By Dan Goldberg | The Star-Ledger
Email the author
on July 03, 2011 at 2:40 PM, updated July 05, 2011 at 10:58 AM

LEBANON BOROUGH — An Iowa woman was killed Saturday night when the car she was riding in slammed into a van on Interstate 78, state police said.

The Ford Econoline had stopped in the left lane of I-78 eastbound because of a flat tire, according to Sgt. Julian Castellanos.

Stephen Higgins, 47, of Montclair, who was driving a 2011 black Audi, swerved, but could not avoid the Ford, police said.

Marian Higgins, 67, of Des Moines, Iowa, who was in the front passenger seat, suffered internal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, Castellanos said.

Stephen Higgins suffered minor lacerations but refused medical treatment. Michael Higgins, 52, of Florissant Mo., also suffered minor injuries.

None of the 12 passengers in the van sustained life-threatening injuries, Castellanos said. Two were flown to Morristown Memorial Hospital to receive treatment for leg injuries.
His father died when he was 16.

But I agree that you wouldn't get that kind of interview from any of the hosts. Something that is often noted about some of the hosts is how disconnected they can seem from their guests, especially when their conversations consist of nothing but trivial topics prepared on cue cards well in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Be yourself and don't try to be like everyone else. Best of luck to him as he tries to find the proper show

Last we need is him being cookie cutter so break out of the mold.

They're all cookie cutter as that's what late night is. I just don't think he's the right guy for this kind of job. I'm a fan and have watched every episode I just don't think it will work. We shall see.

member 51464

I feel like it will take at least a few months for him to hit his groove. I feel like he is still unsure what kind of show he wants it to be.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I feel like it will take at least a few months for him to hit his groove. I feel like he is still unsure what kind of show he wants it to be.

Yeah. He said a while back that he doesn't want to take part of the "late night war" even though last episode he said it's on.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Anybody watch the interview with Trevor Noah?

:help:

That was painful to watch. His "impression" of the GOP debate was like some a 13 year old who just discovered political satire would say.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I watched the show for the first time last night and found it mildly amusing. Nothing that captures my interest going forward but not awful. But that band leader gots to get out. Intolerable.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wow am i really the only one who throughly enjoyed the show so far? I love the fact he's getting all of the candidates airtime on his show. Im definitely excited for tonights interview with Bernie Sanders. Colbert just has this thing about him when he interviews people it's amazing. He pushes them to get everything out.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I thought tonight's episode was tremendous. Two old school style Colbert bits, and I thought the Bernie Sanders interview was great. I wonder though, was Colbert playing devil's advocate, falling into old habit, or does he actually hold pretty conservative political values?

Colbert is still shaky on his throws though. After the Bernie interview he repeated Bernie's name three times and didn't give the "well be right back with (musical act) after the break" line.

Still no rapport with Batiste and the band though. They showed a little bit of personality with Colbert's "getting paid time and a half" line, but still no jokes or witty banter between host and band.

The Joker*

I wonder though, was Colbert playing devil's advocate, falling into old habit, or does he actually hold pretty conservative political values?
It was a great episode.

That was the 'Colbert' character shining through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad