Late bloomer Robinson competing hard for spot on Senators' roster

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I watched Robinson play a few games. He's very fast and skilled, but I don't see him use his size to his advantage. I don't see any point to him being 6'5 and 200+.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like condra. his personality especially. but i'd like to see what kind of effect the big robinson would have in his place. there are other guys who can play the defensive mins.

It's not like i'm suggesting trading condra away today and giving the keys to buddy. and it's not like buddy is just a big body who can't skate or play 2 way hockey.

Sure, but I ask again. What has Buddy done to make you think he can do a better job than Condra?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sure, but I ask again. What has Buddy done to make you think he can do a better job than Condra?

he stood out during the rookie tournament and had a good season in bingo. I just want to see how he'd do. I'm not saying i know 100% he'd be better than condra. He might be terrible at the nhl level. I'm just curious.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I watched Robinson play a few games. He's very fast and skilled, but I don't see him use his size to his advantage. I don't see any point to him being 6'5 and 200+.

He doesn't win fights, but he stands in fine. He doesn't level guys, but he speeds to the dirty spots and doesn't lose the battles. So I agree with you in principle. However, a 6'6, 230 pound forward with wheels and hands, even when he isn't crushing people, is still nearly impossible to win a battle against.

I know we all love to **** on him, but MacLean would be a great coach to have for Buddy. Mac was a big bruiser and a scorer, and could really teach Buddy to play with a chip on his shoulder.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
he stood out during the rookie tournament and had a good season in bingo. I just want to see how he'd do. I'm not saying i know 100% he'd be better than condra. He might be terrible at the nhl level. I'm just curious.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind seeing him for some games, but we'd have some major injuries. And not at the expense of Condra, as in losing him on waivers for nothing.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
One bit of Robinson I'll never forget - was watching him in Syracuse and in the first few mins of the game Sens were in the defending zone and the puck managed to squeak out to center and was headed toward the SYR goalie. Robinson fought through two defenders and raced for that puck like nothing I've ever seen before. Unfortunately the SYR goalie got it before him but Buddy literally skated for that puck like he was shot out of a cannon. It may be difficult to put into words but at the time I really had an adrenaline pump watching him move his ass (not many players on the Sens do that). Unfortunately I don't see that very often from him but I know he has the potential.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The one thing I've noticed about Robinson is that he moves his feet like a smaller player, as opposed to the long-strided, loping style that characterized big forwards like Sundin or Lindros.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
One bit of Robinson I'll never forget - was watching him in Syracuse and in the first few mins of the game Sens were in the defending zone and the puck managed to squeak out to center and was headed toward the SYR goalie. Robinson fought through two defenders and raced for that puck like nothing I've ever seen before. Unfortunately the SYR goalie got it before him but Buddy literally skated for that puck like he was shot out of a cannon. It may be difficult to put into words but at the time I really had an adrenaline pump watching him move his ass (not many players on the Sens do that). Unfortunately I don't see that very often from him but I know he has the potential.

So you're saying you'll never forget the time he lost a race to the puck? :sarcasm:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
like him more and more each time i see him. call him up this year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He can be a cheap Greening replacement.

He does remind me of Greening which would probably drive most here crazy but Greening is much tougher & a better fighter.

His chances of seeing anytime in Ottawa this season are microscopic. RWs currently on roster: Ryan, Stone, Chiasson, Condra and Neil. Schneider would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Derek Grant has seen time on the right and left side in Ottawa, they could move Zibanejad to RW if there are injuries and call up Pageau, or Grant or Dzingel. They would probably try Puempel on RW before calling up Robinson. Lazar could also make the team as a winger. Shane Prince can play his off wing... did I miss anyone? David Dzuirzynski maybe? He's probably battling DD for a call up in the case of us having about 7 or 8 injuries to our forwards.

I'll say 2015-16 will be when we seriously talk about Buddy being a viable call up. I like his skating.
IMO Lazar will be sent back to junior & if the players that were kept with the NHL squad is any indication Robinson is ahead of Prince, Schnieder, Grant, Dzingel, & I would argue DD & Pageau. His size & speed are intriguing, there is no question about that, whether he can translate that into a successful NHL career remains to be seen. I don't think he will replace Greening because they are too much alike but I can see him replacing Neil at the end of his contract.

IMO Condra will not be extended at the end of this yr & they could get rid of him sooner. Does anyone actually see Condra as anything more than a 13th forward on this team? This team has lots of defensive forwards now something they didn't have enough of last yr. Legwand, Chiasson, Zibanejad, Michalek, Turris, MacArthur, Greening, Stone & Smith are all very good defensive forwards & with the loss of the give away machine Spezza this team will be a much better defensive team. They don't need Condra & should trade him in a package to upgrade where needed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
His chances of seeing anytime in Ottawa this season are microscopic. RWs currently on roster: Ryan, Stone, Chiasson, Condra and Neil. Schneider would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Derek Grant has seen time on the right and left side in Ottawa, they could move Zibanejad to RW if there are injuries and call up Pageau, or Grant or Dzingel. They would probably try Puempel on RW before calling up Robinson. Lazar could also make the team as a winger. Shane Prince can play his off wing... did I miss anyone? David Dzuirzynski maybe? He's probably battling DD for a call up in the case of us having about 7 or 8 injuries to our forwards.

I'll say 2015-16 will be when we seriously talk about Buddy being a viable call up. I like his skating.

That's my take too. I find his size and skating to be intriguing, but he has not achieved much yet in the AHL. I think he needs more time in the AHL plus coaching to improve his game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He doesn't win fights, but he stands in fine. He doesn't level guys, but he speeds to the dirty spots and doesn't lose the battles. So I agree with you in principle. However, a 6'6, 230 pound forward with wheels and hands, even when he isn't crushing people, is still nearly impossible to win a battle against.

I know we all love to **** on him, but MacLean would be a great coach to have for Buddy. Mac was a big bruiser and a scorer, and could really teach Buddy to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Maybe. I think Luke Richardson will help him raise his game in Bingo. Maclean could handle himself decently in the dustups due to his size and strength, but he was not known as a fighter. I remember watching him play. The Jets had a heavyweight policeman at that time named Jimmy Mann.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He does remind me of Greening which would probably drive most here crazy but Greening is much tougher & a better fighter.

IMO Lazar will be sent back to junior & if the players that were kept with the NHL squad is any indication Robinson is ahead of Prince, Schnieder, Grant, Dzingel, & I would argue DD & Pageau. His size & speed are intriguing, there is no question about that, whether he can translate that into a successful NHL career remains to be seen. I don't think he will replace Greening because they are too much alike but I can see him replacing Neil at the end of his contract.

IMO Condra will not be extended at the end of this yr & they could get rid of him sooner. Does anyone actually see Condra as anything more than a 13th forward on this team? This team has lots of defensive forwards now something they didn't have enough of last yr. Legwand, Chiasson, Zibanejad, Michalek, Turris, MacArthur, Greening, Stone & Smith are all very good defensive forwards & with the loss of the give away machine Spezza this team will be a much better defensive team. They don't need Condra & should trade him in a package to upgrade where needed.

I see it the same way as you do. Regarding Robinson replacing Neil, he may take his position but I don't think he will perform the policeman role unless he gets some lessons. :)

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne

I don't think that is something you can learn, you either have a mean streak or you don't. At least that's my experience. Case in point, Greening.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think that is something you can learn, you either have a mean streak or you don't. At least that's my experience. Case in point, Greening.

Most big guys I know are far from mean, actually quite nice, and slow to boil.

A guy like Pronger is a million to one to find in terms of skill and disposition.

Neil is also super rare in this league. He can play on the fourth line, is mean, hits to hurt, and doesn't back down due to fear. We won't just find another guy like him.

Boro is the only other guy on our team that looks like he LIKES to hit people. I want that on my team because I like watching guys get crushed in the course of a hockey game, and I like watching momentum swings, and fear shown.

Remember when Domi got punched out by McGratton, man, you could FEEL our relationship with Toronto change that night!

Funny how a player, or a moment, can buoy an entire fanbase.

I know many feel like Neil shouldn't be on the team anymore, but even now, Buddy will NEVER replace anything that Neil brings. Neil hasn't had a Domi moment with us yet, and is still effective at patrolling our ice. I love watching him crush guys, and I like how our players play bigger knowing he's on the bench. Buddy will never bring that element to our squad.

I'm not interested in trading mean, hits, and fights, for whatever it is that Buddy brings to the team. If he can't beat out one of our skilled finesse types then he doesn't play. People may not like crushing hits, fights, and the nastiness of hockey, but it isn't going anywhere. With the decline of staged fights, we're back to anger and retribution fisticuffs, and that's where a guy like Neil comes in.

Buddy is like Greening, no one is intimidated by him, but at least we've seen Greening get angry and punish people.

Neil will retire soon enough, and we'll be searching for a replacement in the bravery and toughness category. Neil is elite in his skill set, and I for one will miss him when he's gone.

Buddy as a replacement for Neil? Jesus....

Time for a beer bong.... ;)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I see it the same way as you do. Regarding Robinson replacing Neil, he may take his position but I don't think he will perform the policeman role unless he gets some lessons. :)

A guy like Pronger is a million to one to find in terms of skill and disposition.

Neil is also super rare in this league. He can play on the fourth line, is mean, hits to hurt, and doesn't back down due to fear. We won't just find another guy like him.

Boro is the only other guy on our team that looks like he LIKES to hit people. I want that on my team because I like watching guys get crushed in the course of a hockey game, and I like watching momentum swings, and fear shown.

Remember when Domi got punched out by McGratton, man, you could FEEL our relationship with Toronto change that night!

I know many feel like Neil shouldn't be on the team anymore, but even now, Buddy will NEVER replace anything that Neil brings. Neil hasn't had a Domi moment with us yet, and is still effective at patrolling our ice. I love watching him crush guys, and I like how our players play bigger knowing he's on the bench. Buddy will never bring that element to our squad.

I'm not interested in trading mean, hits, and fights, for whatever it is that Buddy brings to the team. If he can't beat out one of our skilled finesse types then he doesn't play. People may not like crushing hits, fights, and the nastiness of hockey, but it isn't going anywhere. With the decline of staged fights, we're back to anger and retribution fisticuffs, and that's where a guy like Neil comes in.

Buddy is like Greening, no one is intimidated by him, but at least we've seen Greening get angry and punish people.

Neil will retire soon enough, and we'll be searching for a replacement in the bravery and toughness category. Neil is elite in his skill set, and I for one will miss him when he's gone.

I agree completely with you but Neil is 35 yrs old I believe, I know Robinson will not replace Neil's role that will have to come from someone else or as a team. What I meant is that he will take that roster spot when Neil retires. They may have to go out & get another enforcer when Neil retires but I get the feeling that they really are trying to take fighting out of the league. I'll miss Neiler too when he retires he has been great for this franchise, he has rarely lost a fight & has gone toe to toe with Orr & held his own. I agree that when McGratton dropped Domi that was a defining moment for this franchise, unfortunately they did it to us again when McLaren dropped DD. Kassian helped to get it back a little.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne

I'm with you. Not saying they re mean off the ice. Just don't think a mean streak on the ice is something you learn/can develop.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Reminds me a bit of Dustin Penner, who has two Stanley Cups.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ice tray, beautiful post. I agree whole heartedly and that mentality is why I'm such a big Cowen guy. Cowen actually embraces the physical side of the game and he has the skills to back it up. So many Sens fans hate the dude but he needs a long leash to develop into a physical force on our backend.

On the subject of Buddy, he's really coming along nicely. We're going to have a player here at some point I don't think that's this season but I expect him to be in the NHL in 1 or 2 years as an energy guy. He's gotten more physical too imo. I gotta give him credit for that. He's still a bit of a cream puff but he seems to be more willing to go after defense men on the forecheck. Even if he's not Chris Neil 2.0, if he hits the D on the fore check, he'll be an effective player. His skating is just beautiful.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
looks like blake wheeler out there. just has to crash the net more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm with you. Not saying they re mean off the ice. Just don't think a mean streak on the ice is something you learn/can develop.

Sometimes you can, but it will never be as consistent as someone who has it naturally.

Case in point: Brian Boyle. Most of the time he's a softy, but every once in a while he can get a decent mean streak going.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree that he has looked promising as well, it will be interesting to see how all of these prospects shake out.

This thread just made me realize how sad it will be when Neil finally hangs them up. I really hope that we find another player of his courage and toughness, as he is such a treat to watch when the going gets tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad