Late bloomer Robinson competing hard for spot on Senators' roster

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Timing is everything. A few years ago when we had the big purge guys that are just now coming of age would have easily made the team. Now the competition is much tougher. As some have already said Robinson is not a Neil replacement by role but with his size, speed, checking ability and a touch of offense to boot he sure would be a handy guy to have on the 4th line after the coming season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Timing is everything. A few years ago when we had the big purge guys that are just now coming of age would have easily made the team. Now the competition is much tougher. As some have already said Robinson is not a Neil replacement by role but with his size, speed, checking ability and a touch of offense to boot he sure would be a handy guy to have on the 4th line after the coming season.

He has to be able to score, or punish. Speed and size aren't worth much if you can't do anything with them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like Neil too. I never regarded Neil as "mean", but he sure can hit cleanly and hard. No fear in him. But he is nearing the end of his career, has lost a step, and I hope he retires at the end of his current contract or sooner before he gets a serious injury.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like Neil too. I never regarded Neil as "mean", but he sure can hit cleanly and hard. No fear in him. But he is nearing the end of his career, has lost a step, and I hope he retires at the end of his current contract or sooner before he gets a serious injury.

I agree. I guess by 'mean', I mean that he hunts for big hits out there, and likes to blow guys up. He is not a cheap players, does not resort to illegal plays, and backs up his talk and his actions. You're right 'mean' doesn't really sound right, perhaps meanstreak is more apt, or warrior?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He has to be able to score, or punish. Speed and size aren't worth much if you can't do anything with them.

I'd probably revise this to say something like: "you need to either help put the puck in the other guys net, or help keep it out of your own".

I'd even say the ability to "punish" is completely useless if it doesn't lead to the above. Big hits don't mean anything if you're losing 4-1.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Robinson was a solid +23 and registered 31 points last year in Bingo 15G-16A. It would be great if the Sens could eventually improve the scoring up to their 3rd line with a mix of players who might be more natural scorers like Stone, Lazar, Puempel, Hoffman, Pageau etc... instead of Smith, Neil and Greening but they will still need a solid 4th line. Traditionally some teams have stocked that line with hard hitters and fighters who put up few points. It might be better to try to build a 4th line of big fast checkers who can defend well, score a few goals, take a regular shift and aren't easy to push around. Robinson might be one of the pieces down the road if he continues to develop. Greening might even have a place too on that type of 4th line because of his size and speed but he needs to work on a more aggressive puck possession game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree. I guess by 'mean', I mean that he hunts for big hits out there, and likes to blow guys up. He is not a cheap players, does not resort to illegal plays, and backs up his talk and his actions. You're right 'mean' doesn't really sound right, perhaps meanstreak is more apt, or warrior?

I'd probably revise this to say something like: "you need to either help put the puck in the other guys net, or help keep it out of your own".

I'd even say the ability to "punish" is completely useless if it doesn't lead to the above. Big hits don't mean anything if you're losing 4-1.

I think warrior is the better descriptor as I have not seen him take a cheap shot at anyone but he can take advantage of players who don't look where they are going such as behind the net.

The ability to punish acts sometimes as a deterrent to opponents taking advantage and mistreating smaller skilled players such as Karlsson, for example when Boyle and Kane went after him and Neil and Carkner responded afterwards. All teams need a policeman type player for those situations. Chara performs that role for Boston on occasion. I am disappointed with Phillips because he does not.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think warrior is the better descriptor as I have not seen him take a cheap shot at anyone but he can take advantage of players who don't look where they are going such as behind the net.

The ability to punish acts sometimes as a deterrent to opponents taking advantage and mistreating smaller skilled players such as Karlsson, for example when Boyle and Kane went after him and Neil and Carkner responded afterwards. All teams need a policeman type player for those situations. Chara performs that role for Boston on occasion. I am disappointed with Phillips because he does not.

And the fact that Neil was able to evolve his game somewhat from his earlier days. If we look at some of the huge hits he made early in his career, he often made contact 2+ seconds after a player makes a play. (Som really nasty hits against the Sabres come to mind.) It was borderline dirty at the time, and obviously suspendable hits by today's margin. But, he changed by throwing more smaller, faster hits over the last 5 years or so. Still big enough of a hit to change the flow of a game, but not enough to get a phone call from New York.

A lot of the traditional bit hitters/goonish types haven't been able to modify their games like that and ended up having much shorter careers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Robinson was a solid +23 and registered 31 points last year in Bingo 15G-16A. It would be great if the Sens could eventually improve the scoring up to their 3rd line with a mix of players who might be more natural scorers like Stone, Lazar, Puempel, Hoffman, Pageau etc... instead of Smith, Neil and Greening but they will still need a solid 4th line. Traditionally some teams have stocked that line with hard hitters and fighters who put up few points. It might be better to try to build a 4th line of big fast checkers who can defend well, score a few goals, take a regular shift and aren't easy to push around. Robinson might be one of the pieces down the road if he continues to develop. Greening might even have a place too on that type of 4th line because of his size and speed but he needs to work on a more aggressive puck possession game.

I think a line of Greening - Pageau - and Robinson would be fun to watch if for no other reason that to see Pageau flanked buy two guys towering above him. They would probaly be very good on the forecheck, and solid defensively. While Greening and Robinson aren't grinding physical guys, but I don't imagine they'll be getting pushed around. Pageau has shown chemistry with Greening, so it could kickstart him too.

Sidenote: can you imagine the potential pics of those three celibrating a goal... worth it right there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I agree. I guess I meant those things in addition to his speed and size. Speed, size, and offence (playmaking or scoring) would be ideal. Punishing play along with speed and size, would wear down defenders, create room for linemates, and keep opposing players honest. I believe that these can be critical influences on the game. To be honest, when we find ourselves down 4-1, I WANT to see our guys get pissed and start punishing the other team. I mean, if we can't score one game, at least let the ******** know we were there!

I agree, and this is one of the things that makes Neil a special player in the role that he holds.

And the fact that Neil was able to evolve his game somewhat from his earlier days. If we look at some of the huge hits he made early in his career, he often made contact 2+ seconds after a player makes a play. (Som really nasty hits against the Sabres come to mind.) It was borderline dirty at the time, and obviously suspendable hits by today's margin. But, he changed by throwing more smaller, faster hits over the last 5 years or so. Still big enough of a hit to change the flow of a game, but not enough to get a phone call from New York.

A lot of the traditional bit hitters/goonish types haven't been able to modify their games like that and ended up having much shorter careers.

It warms my heart to see us agree on something! :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It warms my heart to see us agree on something! :)

:5:

Well, I'm not a fan of 1-dimensional goons, but Neil has proven he's a lot more than a pair of fists.

A lot of people really underestimate just how hard it is for guys who have been in the league for a while to add tools to their game and evolve. For a guy with a limited amount of tools and icetime, he really blossomed a lot more than most guys on the roster in his tenure here.

I was really worried about the guy a few years ago when the NHL decided to open up the game and restrict interference, and again 4-5 years ago when people suddenly went wacko in regard to hitting and fighting. But Neil really rolled with the punches. He's nearing the end of his career, but he really managed to show a lot of young guys out there that a 4th line guy can contribute to a team in various ways. He definitely deserves kudos for that.

Heck, he can even get a few goals once in a while (and not all of them were shovel-in-the crease goals, either). Let's see Orr and Domi do that!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And Robinson doesn't have to go after the big bone-crushing hits anyways...especially now with so much paranoia in the game every time a big hit is made. Just make good, solid, hard checks on a fairly regular basis (without putting yourself out of position, of course) and wear down the other team over the course of the game.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'd prefer to see bone-crushing hits. It is hockey entertainment after all, not professional knitting ;)

Trapping teams were dreadful to watch, winning or not, I like instant fear and intimidation over slow wearing down of the other team, and my interest level. :yo:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd prefer to see bone-crushing hits. It is hockey entertainment after all, not professional knitting ;)

Trapping teams were dreadful to watch, winning or not, I like instant fear and intimidation over slow wearing down of the other team, and my interest level. :yo:

Oh, I definitely would, too. I started watching in the late 1970s as a little kid, so big crazy hits and bench clearing brawls are the bees knees for me.

But...the way the league and society is changing, a big hit seems to generate a fair bit of controversy, no matter how legal it is. Same with fighting, and really fun stuff (the old Hextall antics, or personalities like Eddie Shack) just isn't tolerated today.

Modern day civilized society really takes a lot of fun out of most things.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If the team were to acquire Stewart than maybe Neil doesn't need to play every game but could play against the tougher teams. At his age he has to be slowing down a little & we'll see if they continue to try & reduce the amount of fighting in the league. I'd trade Wiercioch, Hoffman & Condra for Stewart. I could see Ottawa starting the season with Neil at 4th line RW, but eventually wanting to have a look at the 6'5" fast skating Robinson in Ottawa this yr. I think they would be interested to see if he can add something to that line & eventually replace Neil not as an enforcer but add a different element of speed & a little more skill on that line. This would also make Ottawa the biggest team in the NHL I think & they would still have a number of very fast skaters. I love this lineup.

Ryan - Legwand - Stewart - 3 former 50 pt player
MacArthur - Turris - Stone - 2 former 50 pt players & 1 with 50 pt potential
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson - 2 potential 50 pt players & 1 former 50 pt player
Greening - Z. Smith - Robinson/Neil - big, tough, fast, energy 4th line

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

It sounds like you would enjoy UFC and MMA!

I do enjoy a good physical but cleanly played NHL game too! But if my team can win by finishing their checks and covering their man, then i enjoy that too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oh, I definitely would, too. I started watching in the late 1970s as a little kid, so big crazy hits and bench clearing brawls are the bees knees for me.

But...the way the league and society is changing, a big hit seems to generate a fair bit of controversy, no matter how legal it is. Same with fighting, and really fun stuff (the old Hextall antics, or personalities like Eddie Shack) just isn't tolerated today.

Clear the track, here comes Shack! I remember those days too! Ferguson, Howe, Hull, Mikita, Terrible Ted Green, etc.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

Clear the track, here comes Shack! I remember those days too! Ferguson, Howe, Hull, Mikita, Terrible Ted Green, etc.

Beers all around.

421154999_Beer_beer_xlarge.jpeg

I got the 80's covered and things hadn't changed so much by then.

My mom had a big crush on Stan Mikita of all people. Huge Hawks fan was she, straight off the boat from Italy, adapted quite well. You'd think Bobby Hull would be the dreamboat, but nope. This guy:

1967-68-topps-114-stan-mikita.jpg

But yeah, if Buddy can learn how to use that frame of his, we're in for a good time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad