Post-Game Talk: Last Preseason Game ends in a 2-1 SO loss to Washington - Now it all counts

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mathew Barzal – The Islanders Best Prospect?
http://islesnation.net/mathew-barzal-the-islanders-best-prospect/

Michael Dal Colle disappoints, Mathew Barzal dazzles at Islanders camp
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...al-is-still-hanging-around-at-camp-1.10910253

you have to love the bit on Josh Ho Sang being sent home the first day for oversleeping. There were a number of people who desperately wanted him over Pastrnak last year.

I like Barzal. I liked him in the draft and might have taken him if I was making the call. Good for him he is doing so well in his first camp, but make no mistake he wouldn't be having that impact here where he'd have no path to a roster spot this season, and really no clear path for a top 3 center spot for the foreseeable future

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Let's be clear. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying I wouldn't take him top 10. Rather have Barzal.

No way. Rantanen plays a pro style game in all 3 zones. Barzal will never have the strength, boardwork or D that Rantanen has.

It's great Barzal did well against 17 year olds last year and is looking good in the preseason. I'll take the guy that as a 17 year old played against men and physically held up.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
you have to love the bit on Josh Ho Sang being sent home the first day for oversleeping. There were a number of people who desperately wanted him over Pastrnak last year.

I like Barzal. I liked him in the draft and might have taken him if I was making the call. Good for him he is doing so well in his first camp, but make no mistake he wouldn't be having that impact here where he'd have no path to a roster spot this season, and really no clear path for a top 3 center spot for the foreseeable future

To be fair, the Islanders have decent center depth.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
eriksson is a much better player than beleskey

Sure, but the principle remains.

Yes you can, I acknowledged it was hindsight. We just really need amazing drafting right now. We still could, I'm not saying our picks will all bust but Barzal looks to be the real deal. I have a soft spot for the Thunderbirds though, I might be biased.

It's not hindsight before he's even played a game in the NHL. Call me when he makes an all-star rookie team or something (and even then it's not set in stone, he could have a huge falloff or the guys we picked could make dramatic improvements compared to the talking heads' expectations).

I'm sure Patrik Stefan looked good in training camp the year of his draft, while Henrik Zetterberg was preparing to play for a 2nd tier Swedish team in a town with 10 000 inhabitants (he had a great couple of seasons, by the way, and took the jump over 3 years later). I know the Red Wings didn't draft him off the board (which, considering he was picked in the 7th round would've constituted picking him in the 4th or 5th round, I guess), but it's the same principle.

Our scouts liked other guys over Barzal for whatever reasons, let's have a bit of faith - no, trust based on somewhat more logical reasons - in them and at least wait a couple of years before throwing them off a bridge.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Reading some other teams camp standouts...seems a lot of teams had yoing guys absolutely year it up while we just look like the same old Bruins. I was very optimistic heading into the season but now...not so sure. I know its preseason but I have a weird feeling. I sense Julien out by Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Yes you can, I acknowledged it was hindsight. We just really need amazing drafting right now. We still could, I'm not saying our picks will all bust but Barzal looks to be the real deal. I have a soft spot for the Thunderbirds though, I might be biased.

Try coaching against Barzal and also watching him play for years on the BWC Bruins. Still processing the draft day decision.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

You've made some good (and fair) points.

I, too, was big on Barzal very early on, thinking his skill and "jam" would be a great fit for us. Given he's only 19, I don't think the "no clear path" point is really a concern at this early stage. There would be plenty of time to find him a spot in a few years, seeing as he would've immediately become our #1 C prospect. I'm also watching Krejci very, very, closely this year, with his injury problems last year. It's still very early, but I'm concerned he's still looking slow.

PS Yeah the Ho Sang sleeping in thing is a laugh.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You've made some good (and fair) points.

I, too, was big on Barzal very early on, thinking his skill and "jam" would be a great fit for us. Given he's only 19, I don't think the "no clear path" point is really a concern at this early stage. There would be plenty of time to find him a spot in a few years, seeing as he would've immediately become our #1 C prospect. I'm also watching Krejci very, very, closely this year, with his injury problems last year. It's still very early, but I'm concerned he's still looking slow.

PS Yeah the Ho Sang sleeping in thing is a laugh.

to be fair to Krejci, he`s never looked fast

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Heading into the draft, what was the feeling about where Barzal was going to be drafted and was there any shock that he fell as far down as he did?

There was definitely shock that Barzal fell all the way to 16. There were grumblings that he could go as high as six to Carolina, but when Hanifin fell to them, the Sharks at nine seemed like the next logical choice. Nobody thought he was going to get past Dallas at 12, but when he did, it seemed like a match made in Heaven for the Bruins to grab him with one of their three picks. Even Barzal admitted that he was a bit surprised that Boston passed on him, but reiterated afterwards how perfect of a situation New York is for him.

Enough Said. A big mistake once again by the Bruins. This is not the first and likely not the last one. Poor drafting has really hurt this organization. Brutal trades like
Joe Thornton, Blake Wheeler, Tyler Seguin, Johnny Boychuk, & Dougie Hamilton.

BigBadBruins63*

Heading into the draft, what was the feeling about where Barzal was going to be drafted and was there any shock that he fell as far down as he did?

There was definitely shock that Barzal fell all the way to 16. There were grumblings that he could go as high as six to Carolina, but when Hanifin fell to them, the Sharks at nine seemed like the next logical choice. Nobody thought he was going to get past Dallas at 12, but when he did, it seemed like a match made in Heaven for the Bruins to grab him with one of their three picks. Even Barzal admitted that he was a bit surprised that Boston passed on him, but reiterated afterwards how perfect of a situation New York is for him.

Enough Said. A big mistake once again by the Bruins. This is not the first and likely not the last one. Poor drafting has really hurt this organization. Brutal trades like
Joe Thornton, Blake Wheeler, Tyler Seguin, Johnny Boychuk, & Dougie Hamilton.

A big mistake, when the kid hasn't played a lick in the NHL yet? Please.....

It's ignorant comments like this that unfortunately make me hope he falls on his face, and the 3 guys we drafted blow him out of the water, just to make you eat crow.

BigBadBruins63*

Would worry more about his health and his drive now that he got his lifetime deal.

If spooner proves this year that he can be an effective Point producing center, I wouldn't hesitate to see if you can get a stud D-man for Krejci.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
If spooner proves this year that he can be an effective Point producing center, I wouldn't hesitate to see if you can get a stud D-man for Krejci.

You can't get a stud Dman for Krejci. Maybe value wise but any team with a stud Dman isn't going to give him up for a 30 year old #1a signed long term with a NTC. It's not how trading works.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Love Barazal but this is hilarious . Bruins went with the bigger wingers over a smallish center . Simple as that.

Perfectly said. Bruins have enough centers that they are waiting on might as well wait on players in another position mean while. A position(s) that they seem weak at.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
more worried about krejci becoming completely uninterested like usual than his speed.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Ding ding ding! We have a winner in the "you can't compare Krejci to Gretzky!" category. :laugh:

Krejci isn't fast, never has been, that's not his game. It's irrelevant.

I have seen him on his horse and he was more than decent. My thing with Krejci is that I am not convinced that he is a #1 center. Now with a Bergeron on the team someone has to go as the #1.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I have seen him on his horse and he was more than decent. My thing with Krejci is that I am not convinced that he is a #1 center. Now with a Bergeron on the team someone has to go as the #1.

What does this even mean? I must be reading it wrong. You do know who the #1 and #2 centers were when they won the Cup right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad