Post-Game Talk: Last Preseason Game ends in a 2-1 SO loss to Washington - Now it all counts

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Oshie thought he was getting Krug and he got McQuaid. McQuiad could have turned TJ's face into Harvey Dent if he wanted to.

going to be good to see Chara and Seidenberg get back healthy and turn that D into an asset again.

Love the thought of the beastly Seidenberg-Trotman pairing tossing guys out 'of the Tuukka club'

I agree about getting Chara back but not sure if getting Seidenberg back is an advantage . At this point I think I would rather take my chances with Morrow or the two Miller's ,I thought they looked decent last night .

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I wouldn't pay him to fight either, but he's shown himself to be far more engaged and interested when he wasn't being told to stay out of the box. Once he stopped playing with an edge, you got finesse Lucuc, which isn't his game. Let him hit. Let him fight. Let him play with emotion, and you'll get the difference maker you had when he was just starting. He's going to do that in LA and I expect him to have a monster year there.

I love ya, but I gotta disagree.

I know the meme around here is "angry Lucic"= "best Lucic", but I think we've seen some of the worst Lucic when he was angry and playing with "an edge".

I remember a Carolina game when he was running around like a maniac with steam coming out of his ears all game long and all that happened was he got humiliated and drew stupid penalties that cost them the game.

In that MTL series "angry Lucic" was spearing guys in the nuts but otherwise played like crap.

For a guy so physically strong, I always got the notion that he was mentally weak.

And for what it's worth I was reading a Ducks GDT the other day (the one where Manson fought Lucic) and they were all commenting on how slow, disinterested and lazy Lucic was looking. Don't know if that foretells a bad season for him, but I do think he's going to be a disappointment.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Loved what I saw as far as the push back and standing up for one another etc.... especially the fire from McQuaid and Miller in the box screaming at Wilson. However, and yes I know it's preseason, but we look like we will once again be challenged to score and have to rely heavily on Tuukka. That was our top 9 and there wasn't a whole lot generated. Wish we had one more preseason game to maybe try a different line combo and see if that ignites anything.

We need to start being realistic about Beleskey. Let's not hammer the guy and let's realize what he is. A solid 3rd line effort guy with a decent shot who can play top 6 if need be, but he is a 15-20 goal guy, 40-50 point guy at best. As long as we accept that we won't be unhappy with him. I really think Hayes and him need to be flopped. Not to say Jimmy is more capable on that line but I think Matt is feeling the pressure of expectations and if we move him down to the 3rd line I think he'll relax a bit and start hopefully putting the puck in the net. Then maybe you slide him back up. I wonder how long Claude will roll with the top 3 lines as is.

I think there will be some challenges yes, but I don't think last night would be the best game to judge where our offense will be. The Caps under Trotz are as hard a group to generate quality chances against as any in the league, not to mention the Holtby factor. Let's see how things shake out when the bullets really start flying.

As far as Beleskey goes, I'm totally ok with all that, but up to this point he's been totally invisible. It's preseason of course, but one would think he would have done something of note by now. Hayes has been much more impressive.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Last night was the first preseason game that I actually paid attention to and I thought Krejci was moving much better than he was last year . There didn't seem to be a whole lot of chemistry with his line mates ,I think DK needs a physical presence with him whether Belesky is the guy who knows ?

I believe that is lacking.

I hope DK is well and has a great year because last year was NOT GOOD.

I loved Looch, Sooner and Pasta last year. It proves Looch wasn't the slow one.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I love ya, but I gotta disagree.

I know the meme around here is "angry Lucic"= "best Lucic", but I think we've seen some of the worst Lucic when he was angry and playing with "an edge".

I remember a Carolina game when he was running around like a maniac with steam coming out of his ears all game long and all that happened was he got humiliated and drew stupid penalties that cost them the game.

In that MTL series "angry Lucic" was spearing guys in the nuts but otherwise played like crap.

For a guy so physically strong, I always got the notion that he was mentally weak.

And for what it's worth I was reading a Ducks GDT the other day (the one where Manson fought Lucic) and they were all commenting on how slow, disinterested and lazy Lucic was looking. Don't know if that foretells a bad season for him, but I do think he's going to be a disappointment.

Totally agree with this notion. Looch just never really got it in his last few years here. He either had to play nonsensically or non-involved. I think that they tried too hard to program him and all they got was a guy who seemed mixed up as to how to play the game that he dominated when he first came up. They needed to let him do his thing and not try to get away with the sneaky stuff like "spearing guys in the balls." Besides being the guy the refs would watch closely he had camera's everywhere in all of the arena's watching his every move and replaying the dumb stuff on the scoreboard for the world, him, the refs and fans to see over and over again. For him to experienced a Renaissance here, with this coach and team would've been IMHO impossible.
So far fans in LA don't seem too impressed by him and it seems consensus over there that he'll suck this season and then get a huge contract from the 'nucks and end up there for the rest of his career. And they're okay with that. I think that if they get a taste of the Lucic that we remember they'll change their tune. At $7-9 million a year thereafter I wouldn't count on him worth it at all, not even at the $6 mill he was making here.
As far as Krejci goes, if he has a mediocre year and we don't make the playoffs he may be used to finish off the rebuild.

I think there will be some challenges yes, but I don't think last night would be the best game to judge where our offense will be. The Caps under Trotz are as hard a group to generate quality chances against as any in the league, not to mention the Holtby factor. Let's see how things shake out when the bullets really start flying.

As far as Beleskey goes, I'm totally ok with all that, but up to this point he's been totally invisible. It's preseason of course, but one would think he would have done something of note by now. Hayes has been much more impressive.

That's what most here are trying to say. Nobody is trying to write him off but if he doesn't make a difference on the scoresheet DS will look foolish and he will move him too. I'm not a guy who likes a player just because he's a home town boy but in Hayes's case I feel that he's going to be a really good Bruin.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Sounds good in theory, but look at the way we draft. In the meantime, it looks like Barzal might be playing right off the bat for a 10 game preview.

That's embarrrsing for our new GM. That was an easy pick. Might be hindsight but he reminds me of Datsuyk/Bergeron and would have been the perfect center to grab to learn under Bergy. Forgo getting Debrusk or Senyshyn and get an elite center prospect because we don't have one of those right now.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
WASHINGTON — After his first preseason appearance, a loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Monday, Tuukka Rask was asked how many exhibition games he’d need to be ready for the regular season.

“Well,†said Rask, getting a laugh, “hopefully not more than two.â€

Rask knew that two was all he’d be getting in this camp, given management’s need to give playing time to four candidates vying for the job as his backup.

It turns out two was enough, as Rask made his second start last night in the team’s final tune-up against the Capitals and was in midseason form, stopping all 15 shots he faced in 40 minutes of work.

Alex Ovechkin’s in-close goal on Jeremy Smith tied the game at 1 with 2:34 left. After a scoreless overtime, which saw chances at both ends and a B’s power play, the Caps scored on the first two shots of the shootout (T.J. Oshie, Evgeni Kuznetsov), while Ryan Spooner and David Krejci were stopped, giving the home team the 2-1 win.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ebook_tuukka_rask_looks_sharp_in_final_tuneup

BigBadBruins63*

That's embarrrsing for our new GM. That was an easy pick. Might be hindsight but he reminds me of Datsuyk/Bergeron and would have been the perfect center to grab to learn under Bergy. Forgo getting Debrusk or Senyshyn and get an elite center prospect because we don't have one of those right now.

Can't you say that about the majority of the GM's who picked before the bruins, minus a few who had no brainer picks (Chiarelli, and Murray for example)?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Can't you say that about the majority of the GM's who picked before the bruins, minus a few who had no brainer picks (Chiarelli, and Murray for example)?

Yes you can, I acknowledged it was hindsight. We just really need amazing drafting right now. We still could, I'm not saying our picks will all bust but Barzal looks to be the real deal. I have a soft spot for the Thunderbirds though, I might be biased.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Mathew Barzal – The Islanders Best Prospect?
http://islesnation.net/mathew-barzal-the-islanders-best-prospect/

Michael Dal Colle disappoints, Mathew Barzal dazzles at Islanders camp
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...al-is-still-hanging-around-at-camp-1.10910253

After the draft, Islanders scout Trent Klatt mentioned that he believed Barzal would have been a top 5 pick in most other drafts, would you say that was accurate?

This was a strong draft, without a doubt, especially at the very top, and had Barzal been healthy all year, I don’t think the top five would have been out of the question. Before he entered the WHL, Barzal was being talked about in the same breath as Connor McDavid. When the two faced off at 15 years old in the Allstate All-Canadians prospect game, Barzal actually was the best player in that game according to many who watched

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And I've been saying it since the draft. Future GM here.

Rantanen has been fantastic in the pre season, our "Gm" missed that one badly ;)
6'4 210lbs 2way Rw winger who can play with anyone and will start the season in Colorado.

I'm sorry I had to :laugh: :laugh:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Even though it's just preseason, Spooner's defensive game has taken a huge leap from last season. I didn't see the liability factor as much when he was out there.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
:laugh: :laugh:

He's been their best forward in the pre season, and they have Duchene, Mac and Landeskog, he would have won a roster spot with us easily.
Julien would have loved him.

Let's be clear. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying I wouldn't take him top 10. Rather have Barzal.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Even though it's just preseason, Spooner's defensive game has taken a huge leap from last season. I didn't see the liability factor as much when he was out there.

I saw some of this last season. Good for Ryan. IMO he could be very good. We will see.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wasn't he a top 10 pick though?

Yes, but we were just having with What the puck :laugh:
He was badly against Rantanen pick before the draft and calls himself a future/good Gm.

Let's be clear. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying I wouldn't take him top 10. Rather have Barzal.

I would have taken him in the top10 easily, big body, strong 2way winger, skates very well for his size, very high IQ and mature, was already a leader at 18y.
I'd say he'll be a regular 60-70 point 2way winger with the Avs.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
20zwf38.jpg

I LOVE that. Need more of that intensity. And I love Pastrnak just sitting in the back, lol.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
WASHINGTON — Before Friday’s exhibition finale against Washington, the Bruins intended to give Tuukka Rask three periods plus overtime — the teams agreed to post-regulation three-on-three regardless of the score — to prep their ace for the regular season.

Forty minutes later, Rask had ripped that plan to shreds.

It was perhaps a good thing for the Bruins that their defense regularly sprang leaks through two periods. Rask had to endure trial by fire in his last tuneup before the games begin to count. He came equipped with an extinguisher.

“I felt great,” Rask said. “When you face a lot of breakaways and chances against and you play good, you’re going to say you feel good. I felt calm out there. I was seeing the puck real well. It’s a good thing moving forward.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...eason-start/jyn7b9vV3kgQN6ARbPjnBO/story.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad