Last nail in the Arizona Coyotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
They don't need city of scottsland approve on ANYTHING. Its not their land its not within city limits.
probably why he is spouting off though....land is adjacent to Scottsdale and they will deal with the hassles of the stadium (build/operation) but not benefit financially from it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is a nothingburger....people just want to circlejerk eachother and act like the sky is always falling with the yotes.

I'm asking seriously. I'm not being rhetorical. Clearly that's not the reason but what's his concern?

The guy was bitching about resources when they wouldn't even be coming from his municipaltiy.

Maybe he's just a dumbass and a twat and playing politics, and there's no real legitimate reason

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Water resource management must we huge deal in a city like Phoenix. Its something I completely take for granted living in Canada.
It is but Phoenix actually did a pretty good job decades ago planning ahead for having enough water. I looked into this a few years ago before I moved to the area and was actually impressed by the infrastructure in place and multiple sources of water the city can pull from.

Obviously you still don't want to waste water in a desert but this is one of the few big US cities that hasn't been run into the ground by crappy leadership...Tucson is another story.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seems like the Mayor of Scottsdale is opposing the Coyotes land bid.

If they don't get this parcel, how do they stay in Arizona?

Source:
They’re not building it in Scottsdale. And they’re not using any Scottsdale money or resources.

Can you tell your neighbor across the street they aren’t allowed to buy a new couch because you didn’t approve the purchase?

Infrastructure costs are a big portion of any project like this and typically are handled primarily by local government (at least in Canada). So the Mayor not being on board with covering any is a big hurdle.
Not in this case. The coyotes are paying 100% of infrastructure cost. Of which Scottsdale never would have paid a penny anyway. Because it’s not in Scottsdale.

Unless they can reach some sort of agreement with the mayor now, or the mayor gets overuled, yeah, it looks like they're done.
I’m not sure what it’s like where you live. But in Arizona, local mayors don’t have a say in state land auctions for neighboring municipalities.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
They’re not building it in Scottsdale. And they’re not using any Scottsdale money or resources.

Can you tell your neighbor across the street they aren’t allowed to buy a new couch because you didn’t approve the purchase?

Not in this case. The coyotes are paying 100% of infrastructure cost. Of which Scottsdale never would have paid a penny anyway. Because it’s not in Scottsdale.
That is too micro...think on a larger scale...more macro

For example, your neighbor built a water park on their land...now your roads are extra congested and traffic is a night mare...maybe noise is also a factor...just giving examples

rt

May 13, 2004
That is too micro...think on a larger scale...more macro

For example, your neighbor built a water park on their land...now your roads are extra congested and traffic is a night mare...maybe noise is also a factor...just giving examples
Was somebody going to pay $700,000 per acre to develop nice quiet parks?

This was always going to be a massive development. Always. Regardless of who won the auction. Always.

But to answer your question, no. The answer is no. The city ofScottsdale cannot prevent the city of Phoenix and the state of Arizona from selling trust land at auction to a water park developer because they don’t like traffic.

Arizona is located in the United States. Not North Korea.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I know a lot of people are fed up with the Coyotes getting so many chances and sick of the shit show and happy to just finally see them move but I really do think this is bad for hockey and bad for the league.

Phoenix metro area is massive and it's one of the fastest growing cities in America. It's got a young and vibrant college life and is getting increasingly popular as a vacation spot.

It'a already been proven that warm climates can thrive with hockey if the team is stable and moderately successful on the ice.

I can't imagine Salt Lake City or Kansas City being better long-term options.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Oh, right. Seattle got all them breaks early on and the Coyotes are a crappy franchise because rules and stuff.

Except Seattle is on its way to miss the playoffs for a second time in their three years of existence while the Coyotes made the playoffs during their first four years.

Which of those two franchises was successful quickly again?
Which one started from scratch and which one already had established players, along with a 50 g scorer?

rt

May 13, 2004
Because they want the team there at no cost to the league. Like all bajillionaires, they feel the common man should pay for their endeavours.
Explain how the common man is paying for this? Raw desert owned by the state in a land trust is being sold for $70 million dollars which is invested directly into public education. The team is using 100% private funding, zero public dollars. And even paying for the infrastructure. No tax breaks. No GPLETS or abatements. 100% private.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Was somebody going to pay $700,000 per acre to develop nice quiet parks?

This was always going to be a massive development. Always. Regardless of who won the auction. Always.

But to answer your question, no. The answer is no. The city ofScottsdale cannot prevent the city of Phoenix and the state of Arizona from selling trust land at auction to a water park developer because they don’t like traffic.

Arizona is located in the United States. Not North Korea.
I never said they could not do something. I am talking about the effects of said project. North Korea? I never said anything close to that. I'm out. SMDH.

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, the mayor's statement mentions a few things. Notably, the development, while not in Scottsdale, is bordering it, and mentions specifically congested highway access, which could affect Scottsdale.
Tough shit. That’s life. Cost of living in a growing region.
The statement also mentions that the retail elements of the development would be too close to those within Scottsdale, so there are concerns about the development affecting businesses in Scottsdale.
Tough shit. This is America. Competition is allowed. Be better at retail.
He also mentions that the proposal did include using Scottsdale's water, but it sounds like this was changed when he brought it up earlier.
Fake news.
There is also concern about the developer on the project being inexperienced on projects like this.
Fake news. And none of his business if it weren’t.
The mayor also mentions that there is no mention in the proposal about market demands, implying that there is no evidence to support the notion that consumers would support the development or the businesses within.
Good thing he’s not paying for it. Could he stop you from opening a snow cone shop in Yellowknife because of poor market demand?
Sounds like it is concerns about the complex/facility/development/whatever having negative impacts on his city as it is right next door, but I don't know the area and am just going off of the article.
He can be concerned in one hand and shit in the other.

I never said they could not do something. I am talking about the effects of said project. North Korea? I never said anything close to that. I'm out. SMDH.
The mayor of Scottsdale says you’re not allowed to come back. And he says you have to stop shaking your head.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The Coyotes have hung around so long now that I'd actually like them to see this through and win the bid for the land auction and turn things around. I've never been a fan of the whole business side of the Coyotes but I like the team.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad