Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It: Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Here in Canada, the Movie Network was playing American History X last night, which I'm guessing wasn't a coincidence.

That film resonates a little too much these days. Still a great movie with a career best performance by Edward Norton.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
595a007175157fee2045d4af40bfbeff

Wind River (2017) Directed by Taylor Sheridan 7A

On a search for sheep-killing mountain lions, Corey (Jeremy Renner), a hunter/tracker for the Wyoming forestry service, discovers the dead body of a young native woman who appears to have been raped. Despite the fact that her body is found on a vast native reserve the size of Rhode Island, the FBI in the form of inexperienced Jane Banner (Elizabeth Olsen) gets involved. Corey, who is still dealing with his own family tragedy, is friends with the reserve's Chief of Police (a marvelous performance by Canada's Graham Greene), and is very good at finding clues. Knowing she is in over her head, Jane asks Corey to stay involved in the case, which he does so. The hunt is on to find the girl's killer. Wind River is writer Taylor Sheridan's first shot at direction--his scripts include Sicario and Hell or High Water, so it is no surprise that he gives himself a very good script to work with. The direction is a little clunky, though. Sheridan wants to avoid cliched genre moves and develop the story his own way. But the result is a movie whose rhythm takes some getting used to. In one key scene near the end we get so much unnecessary information, seemingly out of the blue, that the narrative appears derailed for a brief time. But Wind River has many strengths, too, and they outweigh the film's flaws. The story is a moving one, the cinematography of Wyoming in winter is spectacular, and Jeremy Renner gives one of the best performances of his career as a man who has found his own way to cope with tragedy by accepting the pain and living with it. Renner's acting is deeply internalized, tightly controlled and terse. Quietly dominating every scene that he is in, Renner lends the movie a heartfelt intensity that it might otherwise have lacked without him.

Side Note: Classic example of a 6.5, if I did 6.5s, which I don't. I think once people get into Wind River's rhythm they will like it a lot, so the higher score seemed more of an endorsement than the lower one. If Denis Villeneuve had directed this script, though, it might well have been a masterpiece.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I think a fair number of people probably feel the way you do. For sure, the movie was greeted with controversy at the time of its release. I do have a different take, though. Like Gus Van Sant's Elephant, which was about the Columbine massacre, Polytechnique, at least on one level, bears witness to a tragedy that occurred in our society. Both movies are noteworthy for their calm, matter-of-fact, non-exploitative approach to what took place and both movies allowed me to come to my own conclusions about the nature of the evil that I was watching. Given the right artists, and Van Sant and Villeneuve are the right artists, immersing myself imaginatively into both the victims and the perpetrators experience forces me to confront something that is all too common in my society, in the place where I live. I think we need to particularize such events and think long and hard about their causes. I believe that there is value in that.

I see your point. I certainly have nothing bad to say about the movies artistic merit.

I'll have to check out Elephant now.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
595a007175157fee2045d4af40bfbeff

Wind River (2017) Directed by Taylor Sheridan 7A

On a search for sheep-killing mountain lions, Corey (Jeremy Renner), a hunter/tracker for the Wyoming forestry service, discovers the dead body of a young native woman who appears to have been raped. Despite the fact that her body is found on a vast native reserve the size of Rhode Island, the FBI in the form of inexperienced Jane Banner (Elizabeth Olsen) gets involved. Corey, who is still dealing with his own family tragedy, is friends with the reserve's Chief of Police (a marvelous performance by Canada's Graham Greene), and is very good at finding clues. Knowing she is in over her head, Jane asks Corey to stay involved in the case, which he does so. The hunt is on to find the girl's killer. Wind River is writer Taylor Sheridan's first shot at direction--his scripts include Sicario and Hell or High Water, so it is no surprise that he gives himself a very good script to work with. The direction is a little clunky, though. Sheridan wants to avoid cliched genre moves and develop the story his own way. But the result is a movie whose rhythm takes some getting used to. In one key scene near the end we get so much unnecessary information, seemingly out of the blue, that the narrative appears derailed for a brief time. But Wind River has many strengths, too, and they outweigh the film's flaws. The story is a moving one, the cinematography of Wyoming in winter is spectacular, and Jeremy Renner gives one of the best performances of his career as a man who has found his own way to cope with tragedy by accepting the pain and living with it. Renner's acting is deeply internalized, tightly controlled and terse. Quietly dominating every scene that he is in, Renner lends the movie a heartfelt intensity that it might otherwise have lacked without him.

Side Note: Classic example of a 6.5, if I did 6.5s, which I don't. I think once people get into Wind River's rhythm they will like it a lot, so the higher score seemed more of an endorsement than the lower one. If Denis Villeneuve had directed this script, though, it might well have been a masterpiece.

Gotta see this one, Hell or High Water was one of my favourites from last year. Doesn't look like Wind River has gotten a wide release in Canada yet. Can't find it playing anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Go for it. Who knows when you are going to get another chance to see Stalker in a movie theatre (which is the ideal way to watch all Tarkovsky movies because they are all visually compelling)?

This is good to know. This is a film I've wanted to see and was just considering renting it. However, I just looked up a local cinema and apparently there is a showing of Stalker tomorrow evening.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I think a fair number of people probably feel the way you do. For sure, the movie was greeted with controversy at the time of its release. I do have a different take, though. Like Gus Van Sant's Elephant, which was about the Columbine massacre, Polytechnique, at least on one level, bears witness to a tragedy that occurred in our society. Both movies are noteworthy for their calm, matter-of-fact, non-exploitative approach to what took place and both movies allowed me to come to my own conclusions about the nature of the evil that I was watching. Given the right artists, and Van Sant and Villeneuve are the right artists, immersing myself imaginatively into both the victims and the perpetrators experience forces me to confront something that is all too common in my society, in the place where I live. I think we need to particularize such events and think long and hard about their causes. I believe that there is value in that.

As an ignorant Vancouver person, Polytechnique was the first time I learned about the actual historical event.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ghost in the Shell

with mostly white people in Japan

Big budget remake of the (of course) better original Japanese anime. Scarlet Johansson is the titular ghost (human brain) implanted in the shell (cybernetic body) in the near-future Japan to smite evil terrorists, cyborgs and geisha spiderbots. The Big Bad guy she chases for the first part of the movie has a secret, however. Suddenly, the past she can't remember looms large, and the company that made her turns out to have some ethical lapses in its recent past. Vengeance and CGI ensue.

Actually better than I thought it was going to be. Not great, but decentish entertainment if you've got a couple of hours to kill.

I watched it two nights ago and that was my assessment, as well. It's not exactly "good," but it was better than I thought that it would be and was surprisingly watchable. I had forgotten the plot of the story, so that helped, but I was reminded of it as I watched, and that must mean that it follows it fairly closely. It seemed like a live action version of the anime that didn't stray very far from the original, nor go very astray. Fans of the original might disagree, but those who have seen it only once or twice or never might find it decent enough entertainment for a couple of hours that they won't regret spending.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Al-Gore-An-Incovenient-Sequel.jpg

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power (2017) Directed by Bonni Cohen and John Schenk 4B

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power is the follow up to 2006's informative An Inconvenient Truth, a documentary in which former US Vice President Al Gore addressed the rapid progress of climate change through clever graphics and jaw-dropping film footage. Though the alarm about climate change had been sounding for a long time, An Inconvenient Truth brought the message home in no uncertain terms to a public not yet fully knowledgeable about the scope of the problem. I wish I could say that this sequel picks up where its predecessor left off and carries the ball a lot farther down the field, but it doesn't. The focus is more on what Al Gore is doing to help achieve necessary changes, like really plugging wind and solar energy and creating a new corps of volunteers to help counter climate change deniers and to help enable sane approaches to the problem come to fruition. Certainly this news is important to know as is Gore's message of hope at the end of the film, given after the human natural disaster that is Donald Trump opted out of the Paris Accord. But this is a documentary, and there is very little of lasting visual interest evident here. An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power accomplishes nothing that a detailed press release couldn't have covered in a couple of pages.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power (2017) Directed by Bonni Cohen and John Schenk 4B

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power is the follow up to 2006's informative An Inconvenient Truth, a documentary in which former US Vice President Al Gore addressed the rapid progress of climate change through clever graphics and jaw-dropping film footage. Though the alarm about climate change had been sounding for a long time, An Inconvenient Truth brought the message home in no uncertain terms to a public not yet fully knowledgeable about the scope of the problem. I wish I could say that this sequel picks up where its predecessor left off and carries the ball a lot farther down the field, but it doesn't. The focus is more on what Al Gore is doing to help achieve necessary changes, like really plugging wind and solar energy and creating a new corps of volunteers to help counter climate change deniers and to help enable sane approaches to the problem come to fruition. Certainly this news is important to know as is Gore's message of hope at the end of the film, given after the human natural disaster that is Donald Trump opted out of the Paris Accord. But this is a documentary, and there is very little of lasting visual interest evident here. An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power accomplishes nothing that a detailed press release couldn't have covered in a couple of pages.

It sounds to me like it picks up right where its predecessor left off. That, too, was about him plugging himself and his interests so that he could profit from it over the next decade. I guess that it was time to grease the wheels again. At least it appears that people aren't buying the sales pitch disguised as documentary as much this time around.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Annabelle: The Creation 7.5/10

If you can get past that it has wholes in the plot like Swiss cheese and the usual over the top Hollywood special effects, it will deliver on the scares. Very well done in that aspect.

Spot on.. I enjoyed it for what it was. Like the best horror movies the most nervous parts don't show you the full monster.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
h-HO00006652

A Taxi Driver (2017) Directed by Hun Jang 6A

Based on a true story from 1980, a military dictatorship is trying to impose its will violently on protesters in Gwangjiu, South Korea, a conflict that the rest of the world knows nothing about. Following a tip, Peter (Thomas Kretschmann), a German journalist, flies into Seoul looking for some way, any way to get to Gwangju. No one in Seoul or anywhere else has the faintest idea what is going on as there is a military news blackout of the area. Hearing there is money to be made from a lucrative fare, Man-seop (Song Kang-ho) outsmarts the other taxi drivers and picks up Peter before they do. Poor but easy going, Man-seop is the kind of guy who borrows money from his landlord so he can pay the rent. A single father and a loving one, he speaks no German, only a tiny bit of English, and he has absolutely no idea of the hell that awaits him. For that matter, neither does Peter. Perhaps in an attempt to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, A Taxi Driver combines a number of different approaches, sometimes effectively, sometimes not. As a record of an important historical event in recent South Korean history, the focus is initially on the unsuspecting Man-seop. In a way that is quite pleasing, this provides an unexpectedly oblique angle to view the action. We seldom see historical events from the perspective of an everyday schmuck caught up unintentionally in the mayhem. But as the film moves into more serious waters, while the horror of the situation gets chillingly portrayed, the movie drifts into common hard-to-believe action movie tropes with a dollop of schmaltz thrown in, too (I'm not referring to the very moving coda, however). As for Man-seop, although Jackie Chan could have played this role adequately, Song Kang-ho provides something special as always. I've seen eleven of his movies now and not one of his performances has ever been less than entertaining or carefully observed. He is a marvelous actor who can bring depth and feeling to even the most mundane characters, as he does here. I left the theatre wishing A Taxi Driver could have been a little less ordinary in key moments, but I was still entertained by it.

subtitles

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Alien: Covenant

with Michael Rasmussen and...the guy from Eastbound and Down, and...uh...um...

Ridley Scott tries and fails once again to recapture narrative and directorial competence in this new pre/sequel.

10 years after Prometheus, the good ship Covenant takes up the mantle of Interstellar Home of Useless Humans. It's a colony ship heading out into the cosmos that gets smacked by a random neutrino burst, then once the crew put out the fires they hear a mysterious transmission and decide to follow it to its planet of origin. Note: nothing bad ever, ever happens to ships from the Weyland-Yutani corporation when they do this. Nope.

Michael Rasmussen plays different generations of the same android from Prometheus. Don't get your hopes up fangirls; all they do is briefly kiss.

So, so, so, so, SO STUPID. It's really amazing how movies in this universe keep getting worse, it really is. It's like NASA developed advanced space travel to an interstellar level and then everyone got fired and replaced by Trump's personal cabinet. The crew is beyond stupid. They can't wait to walk out onto alien worlds with a shotgun and no respirator, quarantine doors are made to be opened, and you won't remember who anyone is beside the android anyway.

My wife and I were laughing ourselves hoarse through much of it. For the record, I called more of the plot points than she did.

Terrible. Awful. They're just getting worse. Like, worse than Alien versus Predator bad.

Oh, and it still doesn't sync up with the opening of Alien.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not much for sci-fi, but I watched Arrival and Gravity yesterday.

I didn't hate Arrival by any means, but at the same time I wasn't overly impressed. Again, the subject matter rarely does anything for me.

Gravity had a lot of good going for it: it was pretty thrilling from the start, good visuals and sound, and I loved the short run time. With that being said, SPOILER ALERT(I don't know how to do the normal spoiler alert, apologizes) the hurdle after hurdle idea grew a bit tiresome by the end. I felt like what's next, she's going to end up on a remote island, have no fresh water or food, followed by a passing by ship or aircraft that can't rescue her, followed by... All in all I enjoyed for what it was though. I think I preferred it to Arrival upon my initial viewings.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
h-HO00006652

A Taxi Driver (2017) Directed by Hun Jang 6A

Based on a true story from 1980, a military dictatorship is trying to impose its will violently on protesters in Gwangjiu, South Korea, a conflict that the rest of the world knows nothing about. Following a tip, Peter (Thomas Kretschmann), a German journalist, flies into Seoul looking for some way, any way to get to Gwangju. No one in Seoul or anywhere else has the faintest idea what is going on as there is a military news blackout of the area. Hearing there is money to be made from a lucrative fare, Man-seop (Song Kang-ho) outsmarts the other taxi drivers and picks up Peter before they do. Poor but easy going, Man-seop is the kind of guy who borrows money from his landlord so he can pay the rent. A single father and a loving one, he speaks no German, only a tiny bit of English, and he has absolutely no idea of the hell that awaits him. For that matter, neither does Peter. Perhaps in an attempt to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, A Taxi Driver combines a number of different approaches, sometimes effectively, sometimes not. As a record of an important historical event in recent South Korean history, the focus is initially on the unsuspecting Man-seop. In a way that is quite pleasing, this provides an unexpectedly oblique angle to view the action. We seldom see historical events from the perspective of an everyday schmuck caught up unintentionally in the mayhem. But as the film moves into more serious waters, while the horror of the situation gets chillingly portrayed, the movie drifts into common hard-to-believe action movie tropes with a dollop of schmaltz thrown in, too (I'm not referring to the very moving coda, however). As for Man-seop, although Jackie Chan could have played this role adequately, Song Kang-ho provides something special as always. I've seen eleven of his movies now and not one of his performances has ever been less than entertaining or carefully observed. He is a marvelous actor who can bring depth and feeling to even the most mundane characters, as he does here. I left the theatre wishing A Taxi Driver could have been a little less ordinary in key moments, but I was still entertained by it.

subtitles

I absolutely love Song Kang-ho. He elevates every movie he is in, and honestly, I do not ever recall a bad performance from him. Along with Choi Min-sik, they are two of the best working actors in South Korea today.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Black Narcissus (1947) - 7.5/10

Day For Night (1973) - 8.5/10

Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2 (2017) - 6.5/10

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Re: The Manson Family

A movie that grossed a grand total of $19,647 in its theatrical release gets a tenth anniversary edition???

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the-trip-spain.jpg

The Trip to Spain (2017) Directed by Michael Winterbottom 6A

The Trip to Spain is the third installment in Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's dine-and-whine road movies. By now things feel predictably familiar: we get to see delicious food served to two friends visiting beautiful European locales which only serve as as backdrops for their constant bickering. Each comic, endlessly, tries to one-up the other, often using dueling impersonations of famous British actors as their method of debate. The central theme, the highly competitive nature of male friendships, though fresh in the original film, now seems decidedly old hat. As well, the basic dynamic of Steve being the more successful but also less secure and less happy friend and Rob being the less successful, but ultimately more secure and happier friend is feeling more than a little shopworn. However, there is still much to like here. Though some of the impersonations fall flat and some of the conversations seem not exactly spontaneous, Rob Brydon is in top form. His ability to puncture Steve's self-centred, boastful, hopelessly insecure ego is even more of a delight in this picture than in the other movies (at one point when Steve leaves a table in a huff, Rob tells his companion "Not your fault. Steve hates to be informed of things he thought he already knew"). As well, Spain has never looked more diversely gorgeous. If you liked either of the first two movie, The Trip and The Trip to Italy, you will likely enjoy this one, too. If you haven't seen the other two movies, The Trip to Spain will probably seem a bit hit-and-miss but with a lot of wit.

member 51464

The Trip is one of the few movies I have ever actually walked out on. I thought it was absolutely dreadful. I may have wasted my money, but I wasn't going to waste my time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad