Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It: Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yup, like I mentioned in the review critics adore him, as they should for his earlier work. The problem is that they just don't know when to stop. The film has a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (though a far more modest 71% audience rating). I dare anyone to watch it and not think Monty Python. :nod:

Fans and critics alike are guilty of this. They categorize a director as good/bad early on in their careers and bring that bias into their later works. I love Scorsese, but he hasn't made a truly great film in over 20 years. You'd never know it with the love he still gets though!

And Monty Python came out what, one or two years after this? That's probably not a coincidence. :laugh:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If you liked Ricardo Darin in that you should also try Nine Queens and Wild Tales. Will not disappoint.

Co-sign on Wild Tales. Such a fun movie and that feels like a tight and cohesive short story collection, and the first and last stories are perfect introductions and conclusions.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
My two favourites of his are Chinese Take-Away and last year's Truman, both lovely films in which he is excellent. He is one of the best actors working in the business.

Chinese Take-Away is free on Amazon right now and it looks like Truman is available via HBO. At least Amazon says it is if you sign up for "their" HBO offering. I'm at work, so I can't check HBO GO right now.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Interesting. This runs in stark contrast to many of the reviews I've read of this film, which label it a masterpiece and one of Bresson's best.

Bresson can be very divisive. There are films I absolutely adore, like Pickpocket, while others, like Mouchette, can frustrate, and even borderline infuriate. The strange thing is, they are really the same film, with the same style, and have similar themes, but they just evoke emotions on the opposite spectrum.

That said, there is so much artistic value in his works, because almost every shot can be framed as an iconic image, so even though he is not amongst my favourite director, I have nothing but respect for him.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Definitely Princess Mononoke first, then. English dub is acceptable with this one.

I would still urge you to seek out and watch Spirited Away after that. It's such a great starting point that has no flaws and touches on nearly every area that makes him great, that after you watch that one, I think it becomes significantly easier to transition into just about any of the other ones. In fact, if you do that (especially if it clicks), I think you could pretty much just watch the remaining ones in order of how good they are, without worrying about what type of movie it is or what type of mindset you have watching it.

If not........ tough one. Neither Only Yesterday nor Ponyo are ideal to jump right into, but I think they're so much better that I would still go with those ones next-- I guess if you want something mature and reflective, Only Yesterday, and if you want something visually beautiful and energetic, Ponyo. Watch The Wind Rises last (preferably after seeing the ones that you don't have right now, too).

Also, random aside, I love this video about him. Might give you an idea of the type of feeling they give people.

Thanks, that video feels like just what I needed to get more background on him and his films/style. Much appreciated. I will update upon my next HM movie viewing.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It also should not have been promoted as a comedy, because the jokes largely fell flat, and all the best jokes were already previewed in trailers and sneak peeks. The only thing that I like is that the movie does exude a genuine sincerity, which is likely due to the fact that the story is based on the real-life experience between Nanjiani and his actual wife, who co-wrote the movie together, and it makes one want to truly root for it to succeed. Unfortunately, that is not enough to lift it from mediocrity.

I always try to avoid trailers (and doubly-so for comedies), and I was thankfully able to avoid anything for this one as well. While I agree it was a bit of a letdown in terms of providing anything, let's say, "different," from your standard drom-com, I did find a lot of it pretty funny. In particular, like 90% of Ray Romano's lines, a situation which I didn't foresee happening. :laugh:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I always try to avoid trailers (and doubly-so for comedies), and I was thankfully able to avoid anything for this one as well. While I agree it was a bit of a letdown in terms of providing anything, let's say, "different," from your standard drom-com, I did find a lot of it pretty funny. In particular, like 90% of Ray Romano's lines, a situation which I didn't foresee happening. :laugh:

My local movieplex hard sold it, because I have watched the previews for it since March, or maybe even February, so it becomes hard to avoid the previews for it.

Honestly, I really wanted to like it, because it is very sincere, and everyone is likeable. Unfortunately, I already knew all the best jokes before they happen, so the movie becomes very disappointing overall.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
After I saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, I feel that Hollywood science fiction movies are in a sort of limbo. Technology has finally allowed the filmmakers to create futuristic worlds that are beautiful, full of wonders, and most importantly, realistic, that past generations can only dream of, and be envious towards. Unfortunately, the story is often so shallow, that there is a deep disconnect. Ultimately, the movies often disappoint.

Luc Besson is the poster child of that sci-fi problem. From The Fifth Element, to Lucy, to this one, his mise-en-scene is often spectacular, which makes him perfect for science fiction, and the audience is intrigued right off the bat. However, his scripts are weak and predictable. Thus, after the initial amazement, one just simply goes with the motions, and ride it out until the end. With him, one often wants more, and it is often a frustrating experience.

The acting is also a problem, especially the much maligned Cara Delevingne. Now, to be fair, there is a sense that she does give an effort. However, perhaps it is due to her line of work, or it may be her personality, but she seems to be so individualistic, that she fails to have chemistry, with anyone. DeHaan, on the other hand, is pretty much just miscast. He is very convincing as a misfit, but for him to be a charismatic secret agent really requires a deep suspension of disbelief. Frankly, he has not established himself a big enough fan base for that yet.

While I would not recommend Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets myself, the pace is brisk enough that the runtime does not feel like a chore, so it is definitely not the worst way to spent approximately two and a half hours. Also, if you decide to see it, the reguler version may be the best. I do not know if it is my theatre, but at my 3D screening, there is a lot of glare, and it gets blurry at times.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Valerian is a big budget teen/family sci-fi action film, I don't think you can expect much from there. There's a bunch of them and becoming more frequent. They should all be ignored unless they get glowing reviews which they pretty much never do:

The Space Between Us, The 5th Wave, Allegiant, Jupiter Ascending (actually this one wasn't aimed as much at teens iirc), After Earth, Project Almanac, The Host, iBoy, etc

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Finally got around to watching Moonlight, it was a week ago and I can't stop thinking about it.

I think I loved it but I'm conflicted. The third part was mesmerizing to me, but on the whole I'm just not sure. I can't grade it right now. I think I need to watch it again.

Some other stuff I've seen recently:

Fate of the Futuous - 5/10 - I actual enjoy these, this one was fun, but I've liked others in the franchise more.
Baby Driver - 7/10 - So much fun, drags at times.
Hacksaw Ridge - 5/10 - Grossly overrated. It was fun, had no business being Oscar nominated.
Logan - 6/10 - Liked it. Loved how violent it was.
John Wick - 7/10 - Just so much fun. The sequel is next on my watch list.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sleuth (1972) - 8/10

I don't know how I managed to go so long without seeing this or even knowing much of anything about it. What a marvelous film. It's witty, darkly funny, impeccably written and contains two powerhouse performances by Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine. In fact, both were nominated for Best Actor Oscars, but maybe they split votes or voters were eager to honor The Godfather, because, honestly, Olivier should've won over Brando, IMO. It's very much in the tradition of great stage plays turning into great films. Stage plays have to have excellent dialogue and keep things riveting despite limited sets and cast, and this is no exception. If I had to find criticism, I'd say that it runs a little long (2:15 is stretching it when it's just two actors in one location), but it remains compelling throughout because of the strength of the performances. It reminded me of early Hitchcock, particularly Rope, another adapted stage play revolving around the perfect crime. Speaking of which, it's a perfect crime that this film isn't better known and that I went this long in life without seeing it. Shame on me, but it's occasionally uncovering gems like this that keeps film watching so rewarding, in spite of all of the forgettable films that one has to sift through first.

EDIT: The 2007 remake is awful. It misses most of what's so good about the original. It's not witty, it's not funny (or fun) and the writing is unexceptional. The performances are fairly good, but the characters aren't at all likable. It's also so cold and sterile, with all of the warmth of the original's estate replaced with post-modern design. Speaking of which, Kenneth Branagh tries to be so artsy with the camera angles and direction that it's distracting. The one twist that deviates from the original is also stupid and unbelievable (in the bad way). Finally, the ending falls as flat as the rest of the film. I regret souring my memory of the original by watching this, especially so soon after.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Atomic blonde: 6.8/10 The trailer is better than the movie. Average action movie closer to John wick 2 than John Wick.

12: a pale remake of 12 angry men 6.5/10

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
636345219499064672-detroit-1-rgb.jpg

Detroit (2017) Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 6C

Set during the Detroit riots of 1967, Detroit depicts one particular incident that actually occurred on the principal night of the rioting. When Detroit police mistook the noise of a toy gun shot for a sniper bullet, they stormed a motel in one of the battleground neighbourhoods. Three members of the police force went to extreme lengths to try to gain a confession from one of the half dozen or so men whom they apprehended from the various motel rooms....anyone of the bystanders would have done just fine as the fall guy--the cops weren't picky. Director Kathryn Bigelow's account of this incident is among the most vivid and disturbing portrayals of police racism ever seen on screen anywhere. While the direction is first-rate throughout, long chunks of this movie are extremely difficult to watch, inciting as they do anger, revulsion and horror in about equal measure. In fact, the movie sometimes bears an uncomfortable resemblance to a horror movie, an indication perhaps of overkill on the director's part, though maybe not as the story is truly reprehensible. While unlikely to be much of a concern in Canada, Detroit will likely polarize audiences in the States. The Sean Hannitys of the world will be apoplectic about the portrayal of the Detroit Police Force. As much of the narrative relies on speculation to fill in some of the important details, a portion of these criticisms may well be justified. However, Bigelow does a very convincing job of persuading her audience that she has rendered accurately the big picture about what happened in that motel corridor on the night in question. I appreciate that this movie needed to be made, but I can't imagine anybody would want to sit through this film twice.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
After I saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, I feel that Hollywood science fiction movies are in a sort of limbo. Technology has finally allowed the filmmakers to create futuristic worlds that are beautiful, full of wonders, and most importantly, realistic, that past generations can only dream of, and be envious towards. Unfortunately, the story is often so shallow, that there is a deep disconnect. Ultimately, the movies often disappoint.

Hmmmm. I know most do, but do Mad Max Fury Road, Star Wars Rogue One, and The Martian (maybe Arrival) fit your criteria as outliers?

I mean, if we include some superhero movies here(that are obviously sci-fi categorically, like say Guardians of the Galaxy), that list expands.

I also have hope for Blade Runner coming out later this year. :)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
My Man Godfrey (1933) - 7.5/10
This is proper 30s screwball, much better than Bringing Up Baby or His Girl Friday

About Elly (2009) - 7.5/10
Good second half but A Separation was much better.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Hmmmm. I know most do, but do Mad Max Fury Road, Star Wars Rogue One, and The Martian (maybe Arrival) fit your criteria as outliers?

I mean, if we include some superhero movies here(that are obviously sci-fi categorically, like say Guardians of the Galaxy), that list expands.

I also have hope for Blade Runner coming out later this year. :)

That is an interesting question. Mad Max and The Martian, though, are really on the borderline. Personally, I would not consider them to be science fiction works. For the former, other than the fact it is set in a dystopian future, it is largely an action thriller that does not really interact with its environment, so it can happen in any generic setting. The latter, meanwhile, is really just a lone survival tale, which again, can also happen anywhere else.

The Arrival, like Interstellar before it, are intellectual takes on the genre, and those are definitely few and far in between nowadays. However, I thought they tried to be too deep for their own good, so they became convoluted messes.

In my opinion, superhero movies are in its own category, because otherwise, the line becomes too blurred, and the discussion will get murky, so I would not put Guardians under consideration.

As for Rogue One, it would definitely fit my criteria. That said, while I liked it, I also thought the story was shallow, and it largely depended on the power of the franchise it is part of to be successful.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Dark Tower
1.75 out of 4stars

Misguided, dry, and maybe McConaughey's worst performance of his life. Given the source material, it's poor decisions all around. Even Elba was inconsistent and overacting at times imo.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
image.aspx

The Dark Tower (2017) Directed by Nicolaj Arcel 2A

Some New York kid gets to save the universe with help from the Gunslinger (Idris Elba) and with hindrance from the nasty Man in Black (Mathew McConaughey). Four different writers are listed as co-authors of the terrible screenplay (the more writers involved, usually the worse the end result), and I bet at least two of them have never read the book. The Dark Tower is a bad, bad movie with no sense of urgency, no logic or coherence whatsoever, no rhythm or excitement, underdeveloped everything, plus it looks awful. I have never read the original source material, but I can't believe Stephen King went to as little effort as the makers of this movie in constructing his work. There is simply nothing that either Elba or McConaughey can do with this uninspired, underwhelming material. The Dark Tower is a prime candidate to win the Razzie Award for worst movie of 2017 at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad