Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It: Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So when the mods notice the last one's over 1k, here it is.

Also, the Godfather saga's been sagging on all over AMC today. I still think the third one got a bit of a bad rap. Sure, it's obviously nowhere near the same league as the first two, but it's not as bad as it's been made out to be sometimes. Sofia Coppola's performance is of course putrid, but still.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So when the mods notice the last one's over 1k, here it is.

Also, the Godfather saga's been sagging on all over AMC today. I still think the third one got a bit of a bad rap. Sure, it's obviously nowhere near the same league as the first two, but it's not as bad as it's been made out to be sometimes. Sofia Coppola's performance is of course putrid, but still.

Perhaps this might fit better in the controversial opinion thread but I always felt like The Sopranos put mafia movies to shame. I can't think of one that can go toe to toe with The Sopranos as a work of art. There's this weird sacred aura in the content of mafia movies that kinda glamorized the whole thing whereas The Sopranos presented it for what it was (while digging deeper as far as the themes go) that raised it above movies like Goodfellas or The Godfather.

Here's a cool and articulate, eloquent article about the series from Clive James: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10132678/Clive-James-on-The-Sopranos.html

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps this might fit better in the controversial opinion thread but I always felt like The Sopranos put mafia movies to shame. I can't think of one that can go toe to toe with The Sopranos as a work of art. There's this weird sacred aura in the content of mafia movies that kinda glamorized the whole thing whereas The Sopranos presented it for what it was (while digging deeper as far as the themes go) that raised it above movies like Goodfellas or The Godfather.

Here's a cool and articulate, eloquent article about the series from Clive James: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10132678/Clive-James-on-The-Sopranos.html

I totally agree. Might have been an era related thing though, but id be surprised.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That stigma is actually something that makes alot of people hesitant to get into The Sopranos in the first place, I think. I know it does for me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What? That it glamorizes the mob? I don't think it does.
I'm saying it gets associated with the stigma that mob movies have, and people who are sick of them or don't find them appealing end up finding it difficult to give the Sopranos a fair shot and treat it like its own separate thing, even though that's completely unfair. (the same way someone who rejects/gets annoyed by Star Wars might unfairly dismiss Star Trek prematurely, even though it's completely different)

I'm expanding on your point and commenting on how unfortunate it is, not arguing with it.

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Live by Night

Yes the Ben Affleck gangsta movie. I was going to pass this one over but someone dragged me out to see it . And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had seen bad reviews but I think most like me thought this was going to be a regular gangster flick. They are probably disappointed with the cadence and action scenes (or lack thereof). Surprisingly it had more layers to it. You get to see Trump's America real close.. nuff said (as Stan Lee would say in the Marvel universe). I never hated on Affleck but wasn't a fan either. But he just went up a notch in my book.

7/10

Gimme Danger

After being so pleased with Jim Jarmusch's 'Paterson' I thought I would check out another one of his projects. This is a documentary on punk rocker Iggy Pop. I'm not into punk so that might be why I was disappointed. If you are into punk though you might like this. I realised after it might be a bad idea to use a Director as a reference to see another of his films just for kicks. Jarmusch is still cool though. Iggy too.

4/10

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
2577_medium.jpg

4/5

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What? That it glamorizes the mob? I don't think it does.
It certainly did for me. The stigma kept me away from The Sopranos, and even if that show is a less operatic, romanticized take on the Mafia than The Godfather trilogy, I have never yet quite been willing to give it an extended try. Just seems like there are better things to do.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It certainly did for me. The stigma kept me away from The Sopranos, and even if that show is a less operatic, romanticized take on the Mafia than The Godfather trilogy, I have never yet quite been willing to give it an extended try. Just seems like there are better things to do.

I have to disagree here. On top of what I mentioned in an earlier post, The Sopranos makes it quite clear that mafia rules are a bunch of humbug that these guys only follow when it suits their purposes/convenient to do so and that there really isn't any honor in all of that despite how much they want to pretend. I think The Sopranos is a tour de force (especially writing wise) and I couldn't recommend it enough.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It probably doesn't help that I see nothing of interest in the Mafia.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And that's fine. I'm not an expert on the mafia either and don't care for it. The Sopranos's main appeal isn't that it talks about the mafia or that it's a flashy show (it's not). It's a perfectly executed character study that a lot of shows have since tried to emulate - with varying degrees of success and not one that reaches the highs of The Sopranos - that also works supremely well as a dark comedy.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Life (2017)
2.25 out of 4stars

Effective, yet it's somewhat predictable and filled with borrowed material. Feels like it wants to be better than it is though based on some "touching the surface" retrospective/introspective one liner-ish elements, albeit some nonsensical.... [Spoil] ONLY FILLED WITH HATE? HOLY MOLY. The freaking alien just killed a couple of your friends and shipmates, is strong, is dangerous, is destructive, and intelligent. That's not a logical reason to want to kill and/or avoid it? Logic dictates you to kill that being. [/spoil]

Also, couple other questions/gripes I might have with the movie, aside from the Murphy's law stuff previously discussed/a general fault with the sub genre....

[Spoil] Calvin seemed to desperately need oxygen to live near the end of the film, as do the crew members throughout, yet they were breathing fairly fine under extreme stress, low oxygen levels given the shutdown and kill Calvin protocols on parts of the ship, and even freezing temperature issues near the end of the movie and at times throughout the film, yet......Japanese guy escaping from his sleep chamber had no breathing/weakness issues, Calvin spent literally 5-10mins+ easily in space without oxygen terrorizing a woman and walking around the space ship, and Gyllenhaal/Ferguson had no real physical issues in the end as they dealt with "firewall 3" and the escape plan. Is this one giant screw up or am I missing something? Seemed like a major subplot point(or a plothole) that was inconsistently applied and flat out story ruining for me if I'm reading this correctly.

And I'm sorry, but believing Bakare having maternal feelings to an alien life form he's spent a few weeks with? That is/was small and expressionless? Even after it's broken his hand, killed multiple people, and put everyone's life in jeopardy? And eventually let it eat him to live and grow stronger? That's too big a jump for me, even in this subgenre, to believe remotely possible. How psychologically and emotionally unstable do you have to be for that even remotely be possible? Doubt he passes a number of astronaut tests and his shipmates would certainly see/sense something fishy about his personality wayyyyyyy before that alien interaction if so.

Am I correct on both or one of these accounts or being too nitpicky/wrong on criticizing these things?
[/spoil]

I thought it had the perfect ending though.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I will not mince words, but Beauty and the Beast sucked. That said, I am likely not a fan of musicals, so please take my take with a grain of salt.

Since this is basically a live-action remake of the 1990 anime, one cannot help but compare the two, which is likely the studio's marketing strategy, as it hopes to draw in the fans of the original. Unfortunately, to me, the plan probably backfired. The original is a classic, as it remains the only animated film in history to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. This update, frankly, just feels like a get-rich-quick scheme, and it rides off the coattails of the original.

In a cartoon setting, it is perfectly fine when a person sings in the middle of the street, and the townspeople joins in in a chorus. It is, after all, an anime, where suspension of disbelief is already built in. In a real action movie, that just looks ridiculous. In fact, I tried to conceal my laughter, but I still let out a chuckle or two. That said, the style is just a part of this genre, and I understand if people do not share my sentiments.

My big issue with this remake is that it feels rushed. In the animated version, the passage of time seems to be in weeks, if not years. That allows the audience to understand why the attraction between the Beast and Belle will grow. In this one, it feels like days, and thus, everything seems to happen a little too fast to be realistic. The filmmakers did try to add some backstory to the characters, to differentiate the new one, but unfortunately, they do not dive deeper into it. Instead, they just scratch the surface, and it only accentuates the hurried vibe.

Now, I like Emma Watson, but she is a terrible actress. Everyone in this one really gets into their roles, and their enthusiasm is infectious, but whenever the focus is on her, her lack of ability completely stops any momentum, and just becomes distracting. The only times she is fine is when she displays a naive innocence, but that is her bread and butter, so there is nothing special there. Honestly, I am not sure how much of a career she will have left after the Harry Potter fame expires, but luckily for her, there are still a lot of fervent Harry Potter fans, and she still has a lot of endorsements. She likely also have a big nest egg saved up, so she does not need a second career, if she does not want to.

Honestly, I do not regret that I saw it, because it has high-production value, and it is indeed a spectacle, with beautiful mise-en-scenes. The venue I was in was full, and many people cheered at the end, so I am sure there are others that will like it.

4/10

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watched Wadjda again, this time on Netflix with family. Everybody loved it. It's the story of a girl scheming to buy a bike in a country, Saudi Arabia, that strongly discourages girls from even thinking such heretical thoughts. Though about a kid, it's no more a kid's movie than Tomboy, with which it shares charm and intelligence. Without being the least heavy-handed we learn a lot about Saudi Arabian family life along the way. For those looking for a change of pace, Wadjda is a lovely, engaging work.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
The town-8.5/10
I'm a big fan of "Boston themed" movies. This had a good story, nice action and pacing, acting was solid and all around a good movie.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
The Killing Fields - Played like a horror film at times with the pulsing synthesizer music and the images on screen. Haing S. Ngor, though not really supporting, is absolutely amazing in the role of Dith Pran and definitely earned his Oscar. Waterston and Malkovich are good, too.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I watched Logan a week or two ago, and honestly, I am not that impressed. I like it, but I do not love it.

Most critics rave about the depth of the movie, and the acting is great, I agree with that. The vulnerability displayed gives the characters a sense of humanity, and it allows the audience to better resonate and sympathize with the characters. However, Wolverine is such a popular character, that even casual fans know about his background story. As a result, there is very little left to discover, so this movie brings nothing new to the table.

There is also a pacing issue. Logan is more of a character study, but it, at its core, is still a comic book movie, so action sequences are to be expected. Unfortunately, while there are some good action sequences, they are few and far in between. Personally, by the halfway point, the movie really slowed down as the characters interact, so I zoned out here and there.

Finally, the movie suffers from something I call "weak villain syndrome", which has plagued many superhero movies. Sure, the public goes to the movies to see the heroes battle, and possibly even win, against the villains, but if the villains are memorable, and even stronger than the heroes, it will make the task that much more cathartic. Sadly, most filmmakers of comic book movies fail to realize that, and they make the villains too much of a cookie-cutter mold. In Logan, the villain is absolutely boring, and it is such a missed opportunity, because he is so much more complex in the comics.

Honestly, all the principal actors, from Jackman, Stewart and even the child actor Dafne Keen, who may be the breakout star of the movie, deliver great performances, and it is nice to see a comic book movie that feels realistic. However, the whole movie is only decent. It is good, but I definitely do not think it is great.

6.5/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad