Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sputnik (2020) - 6/10 (Liked it)

At a remote military facility, a young doctor treats a cosmonaut who returned to Earth with a parasite inside of him. This Russian sci-fi isn't really what I was expecting, which was an effects-driven horror film set largely in space. Instead, it's a minimal, slow moving, character-driven sci-fi set almost entirely on Earth that gets you thinking and is moody more than thrilling. In other words, it's more Arrival than Alien and is almost entirely about understanding the extraterrestrial creature, not fighting or running from it. It's very slow, as I mentioned, but I didn't find it boring because the premise is interesting and got me thinking. Still, it maybe could've been edited down a little in length (it's nearly 2 hours) and the plot is slightly predictable. Also, while it was interesting and kept my interest, it was never quite absorbing. Overall, I liked it, though. Because it's slow and in Russian, it's not going to be for everyone, but fans of smarter sci-fi may want to check it out.
6/10 for me, too. I liked the fact that it had some actual meat on the bone and that it was character-driven. Somebody put some thought into the movie, and it paid off.

Reactions: Osprey

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sputnik (2020):

An “Alien” creature has found its way to earth in the body of a cosmonaut in 1983's Soviet Union. But, unlike the Hollywood version that expels itself through the belly leaving its host dead, the Russian creature leaves the host's mouth when he's asleep and returns before he wakes – just like the "Ripley" alien, when it's out, it’s a lean, mean, killing machine with a taste for human blood.

A female psychiatrist battles for the creatures / cosmonaut’s survival against government forces that want to turn the alien into a weapon.

Sputnik is many things : a horror, a romance and a science fiction thriller. Unfortunately, it doesn’t excel in any area.

While I enjoyed Sputnik, there are huge plot holes and the movie is 30 minutes too long.
6/10

The spoken language is Russian.

We all seem to rate it the same - my old review above.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sisters (1972) - 6/10 (Liked it)

A reporter (Jennifer Salt) witnesses a murder and suspects the twin sister of a local actress (Margot Kidder). This psychological thriller from Brian De Palma starts out very Hitchcockian. There are similarities to Rear Window and Rope, the former because the reporter witnesses the murder from a nearby apartment building and the latter because the body is amusingly hidden in plain sight (inside a retractable sofa bed that a suspect sits on when the detectives come to investigate :laugh:). De Palma also uses the split-screen composition that he's famous for to comedic effect a few times by showing something serious in one half of the picture and something slightly amusing in the other (like the detectives taking their sweet time in the lobby while the murder scene on a floor above is being cleaned up). Nothing in the film is played for laughs, but several scenes are funny when you think about them.

I really enjoyed the first hour for that understated comedy and good pacing. The last half hour is pretty different and bizarre, though. It's more psychological and dream-like. It goes from being an homage to Hitchcock to being seemingly inspired by 'Dr. Caligari'. Even if I wanted to spoil it, I don't think that I could because I didn't fully understand it. It ends rather confusingly. In spite of that, the film was easy to watch from beginning to end. There's just something about De Palma's direction that tends to make his films entertaining and/or suspenseful, more so than they have any business being. I watched it largely because of him and wasn't let down. I also watched it partly because its legacy seems to be as the inspiration for decades worth of films and TV show episodes that have involved twin sisters and murder. I'd seen many of those and figured that I'd finally watch the inspiration, especially once I realized that it was a De Palma film.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
jacknicholson.jpg

Five Easy Pieces
(1970) Directed by Bob Rafelson. 6A

Though he had made eighteen low budget pictures before Easy Rider, Jack Nicholson seemed to burst on the scene all of a sudden with the release of that counter culture road movie. Easy Rider opened doors for him, but it was Five Easy Pieces that established his reputation as both leading man material and a very good actor. Like many of Nicholson’s best works, Five Easy Pieces is a character study. Nicholson play Bobby, not a happy guy. He works on an oil rig until he abruptly quits, tries to cope with a brainless partner with whom he feels trapped, and has ignored his family and his now dying father for years. Bobby comes from a family of musicians, and he himself is an accomplished pianist. But nothing he did ever came to much of anything. Getting laid occasionally by whomever is handy helps a little, but never enough. He’s amiable about it mostly, but the rage seeps through from time to time.

The ‘70s was a good decade for antiheroes and nobody brought as much depth, energy and spirit to these types of roles than did Nicholson. On screen, he exudes smarts, a sense of mischief and easy charm that appealed to both men and women, albeit for different reasons. His characters somehow manage to be likeable even when they are having temper tantrums. Unfortunately, Five Easy Pieces presents some overdrawn caricatures as foils, and all of them are women: a testy waitress, a neurotic lesbian couple headed to Alaska; an obnoxious intellectual; and the blonde bimbo who he is somehow stuck with (very well played by Karen Black). Flaws and all, though, Five Easy Pieces (refers to pieces of music…not, well, you know) is one on Nicholson’s signature performances.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
jacknicholson.jpg

Five Easy Pieces

Though he had made eighteen low budget pictures before Easy Rider, Jack Nicholson seemed to burst on the scene all of a sudden with the release of that counter culture road movie. Easy Rider opened doors for him, but it was Five Easy Pieces that established his reputation as both leading man material and a very good actor. Like many of Nicholson’s best works, Five Easy Pieces is a character study. Nicholson play Bobby, not a happy guy. He works on an oil rig until he abruptly quits, tries to cope with a brainless partner with whom he feels trapped, and has ignored his family and his now dying father for years. Bobby comes from a family of musicians, and he himself is an accomplished pianist. But nothing he did ever came to much of anything. Getting laid occasionally by whomever is handy helps a little, but never enough. He’s amiable about it mostly, but the rage seeps through from time to time.

The ‘70s was a good decade for antiheroes and nobody brought as much depth, energy and spirit to these types of roles than did Nicholson. On screen, he exudes smarts, a sense of mischief and easy charm that appealed to both men and women, albeit for different reasons. His characters somehow manage to be likeable even when they are having temper tantrums. Unfortunately, Five Easy Pieces presents some overdrawn caricatures as foils, and all of them are women: a testy waitress, a neurotic lesbian couple headed to Alaska; an obnoxious intellectual; and the blonde bimbo who he is somehow stuck with (very well played by Karen Black). Flaws and all, though, Five Easy Pieces (refers to pieces of music…not, well, you know) is one on Nicholson’s signature performances.
'And how would you like that chicken salad sandwich'?

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'd spoil the movie if I explained it. It's one of my favorite films.
Something about the hippie + biker culture doesn't appeal to me.

Hippie + Biker culture = Shower once a month - whether you need it or not.

That's not for me. How about a movie about a pair of yuppies who travel the country and stay in nice hotels? Oh wait... there are a LOT of bad movies like that.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

That's not for me. How about a movie about a pair of yuppies who travel the country and stay in nice hotels? Oh wait... there are a LOT of bad movies like that.
Guess I see it as a road trip/buddy movie with the classic title song. It was also Jack Nicholson's breakthrough role. I do get why it's not for everyone.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
jacknicholson.jpg

Five Easy Pieces

I saw it for the first time earlier this year and can't tell you anything about the plot. All that I remember is that Nicholson was Nicholson and it was neat to see him be Nicholson when it was still new to everyone. I don't believe that I felt motivated to review it, which probably means that I would've given it a neutral 5/10.

Guess I see it as a road trip/buddy movie with the classic title song. It was also Jack Nicholson's breakthrough role. I do get why it's not for everyone.

I saw Easy Rider for the first time only a couple of years ago. It wasn't for me, either, but I'm the opposite of a counter-culture type, so that was no surprise. I recall Nicholson being the best thing about it. Maybe that was part of the problem for me: he was more interesting than the two stars, especially charisma-starved Peter Fonda.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I saw Easy Rider for the first time only a couple of years ago. I'm the opposite of a counter-culture type, so it wasn't for me, either. I recall Nicholson being the best thing about it. Maybe that was part of the problem for me: he was more interesting than the two stars, especially Peter Fonda, who has no charisma.
It's mainly the road trip angle that appealed to me, there's a lot of scenery in the movie. Enjoy that type of film...Thelma & Louise, Harry & Tonto, The Motor Cycle Diaries, On the Road(Jack Kerouac's book more then the movie), Nebraska, Planes Trains & Automobiles...find it's an interesting theme.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

And some good ones:

Trip_poster.jpg

and the follow ups to Spain, Italy, and this year Greece

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's funny now thinking about it, but Easy Rider hit like a sledgehammer at the time. It seemed like the first movie that spoke directly to what was going on in America. Everybody I knew was bowled over by it. You have to remember that the counterculture in the '60s wasn't exactly a small group. It was big enough to help stop a war. The movie seemed utterly cathartic. Now it looks quaint. And many of those who thought it was some sort of breakthrough speaking directly to them are now among the same people who elected President Trump decades later. To paraphrase Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead, what a long, strange trip it's been.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's mainly the road trip angle that appealed to me, there's a lot of scenery in the movie. Enjoy that type of film...Thelma & Louise, Harry & Tonto, The Motor Cycle Diaries, On the Road(Jack Kerouac's book more then the movie) Nebraska, Planes Trains & Automobiles...find it's an interesting theme.

I can see and appreciate that. I like road trip movies, as well. In fact, that's probably the aspect that I liked the most about the film. It's the characters and what they get into on the trip that didn't appeal as much to me. I even laughed at the ending, which was probably not the intended reaction ;).

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
It's funny now thinking about it, but Easy Rider hit like a sledgehammer at the time. It seemed like the first movie that spoke directly to what was going on in America. Everybody I knew was bowled over by it. You have to remember that the counterculture in the '60s wasn't exactly a small group. It was big enough to help stop a war. The movie seemed utterly cathartic. Now it looks quaint. And many of those who thought it was some sort of breakthrough speaking directly to them are now among the same people who elected President Trump decades later. To paraphrase Jerry Garcia of The Grateful Dead, what a long, strange trip it's been.
Movies were just starting to really 'push the envelope'. Seem to remember Midnight Cowboy was rated X at the time. Don't know if it would be an R rating now. The times they were a changing (as the song went).

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Movies were just starting to really 'push the envelope'. Seem to remember Midnight Cowboy was rated X at the time. Don't know if it would be an R rating now. The times they were a changing (as the song went).
I can't remember any nudity. The most shocking scene I remember (my memory is NOT good) is the movie theater oral sex. Other than that, Midnight Cowboy would be tame if released today.

Reminds me of Midnight Express. Back in the day it was shocking.

20 years later, the opening credits of HBO's OZ were 10 times worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Microwave Massacre 5/10

Was hoping for a B Horror movie, got a C Comedy instead. Starring Jackie 'The King of Deadpan' Vernon. It had its laugh out loud moments, but overall was pretty 'meh'. If not for the constant parade of topless attractive women I am not sure I would have made it to the end of the film.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
IMDb trivia, referring to Otto Preminger's The Moon Is Blue (1953): "First mainstream Hollywood film to use the word "virgin," after a battle with the official and unofficial censors. Also the first use of "seduce" and "mistress" (as a sexual partner). The movie was banned from theaters in Boston for using these words." Very different times, indeed.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I prefer Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Yeah, yeah, it's largely about the bitter aftermath but boy did Thompson seem to have his finger on the pulse. Beautifully stated as well.

Reactions: kihei

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Started at 5 a.m. on my personal horror movie marathon. A little more than two-thirds through, heading down the home stretch now. Had to tweak my planned schedule (posted in the horror movie thread), moving a few things around, dropping a movie (not an uncommon occurance at the real thing) and adding one in.

Werewolf of London. Universal’s ORIGINAL wolf man movie, predating The Wolf Man by six years. A scientist contracts a horrible disease (werewolfery!) in the orient and tries (and fails) to mask it when he returns home. A serviceable classic monster flick but nothing that will probably stick with me.

Driller Killer. A truly nasty piece of work from the notorious Abel Ferrera. An exploitative punk rock trashterpiece. This movie needs a long, hot shower and I think I need a hepatitis vacination. (This is an endorsement BTW).

The Monster Squad. Never fully realized what a messy, nonsensical story this is. Just took it for granted that it all made sense back when I was a kid. Now, it’s a real let’s just throw everything in this and not really explain anything in any real way. It takes about 5 seconds to tear this to pieces. But you know what? I don’t care. I still know it by heart and enjoyed every ridiculous notstalgic second of it from the underrated 80s montage, the Burger King product placement and the awful rap theme over the closing credits.

Peeping Tom. An unplanned addition. Full thoughts coming later in the Moive of the Week Thread.

The Blue Orchid. A mystery entry for me from the Austin Film Fest. Not exactly horror. A photographer gets a mystery job filming a woman disrob. Asking questions risks the gig. But he becomes obsessed. A dark Euro (Dutch) mystery. Atmospheric.

Fade to Black. Early 80s flick previously unknown to me about a movie-obsessed sad sack who seeks revenge on those who wronged him by staging movie-themed deaths. Dennis Christopher is an effective and memorable lead. Young Mickey Rourke shows up to be a bully and 80s stalwart Tim Thomerson seems to be in another, funnier movie. (This is not a complaint).

Theater of Blood. I originally intended this to be second to last in my schedule, a lighter entry between two heavier movies, but I found I needed something lighter in the late afternoon for reasons unimportant here. Funny enough it’s such an obvious double bill with Fade to Black. Vincent Price plays a scorned actor taking revenge on critics with elaborate Shakespeare-themed murders. It’s knowingly ridiculous and lets Price mug both as a dramatic and campy actor often within the same scene.

Spirits of the Dead. A high-brow horror curiousity, an anthology of artsy directors Louis Malle and Frederico Fellini (plus Roger Vadim) tackle Edgar Allen Poe stories. It’s mostly disappointingly dull. Vadim ogles Jane Fonda (again). Malle and Alain Delon do a doppelgänger bit. Only Fellini’s third, the Terance Stamp starring Toby Dammit is worth a damn mostly because despite being “horror” it’s only the slightest turn of the dial from his typical bailiwick. There’s a thin line between his dreams and his nightmares.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow. Another new movie. I absolutely adored writer/director Jim Cummings’ Thunder Road a few years ago. He makes a curious decision to essentially take his lead character from that comedy/drama and drop him into a horror-comedy werewolf flick. (It’s not the same guy but they’re strikingly similar). He’s got a weird sense of humor that really works for me ... you can imagine Will Farrell or Danny McBride playing his character in an outright comedy, but he’s not doing outright comedy. That is the best way I can describe it. There’s an entertaining werewolf mystery on top of this one too.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I prefer Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Yeah, yeah, it's largely about the bitter aftermath but boy did Thompson seem to have his finger on the pulse. Beautifully stated as well.
My preferred read for that period would be Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test about author Ken Kesey (One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest; Sometimes a Great Notion) and his merry band of pranksters.

Reactions: Amerika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA