Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Oh man, his dynamic with Kinski deserves a movie by itself. Also, do not forget the fact that the man fulfilled his end of the bet and actually ate his own shoe, all of which was captured on film.
:laugh:

Herzog is at times too weird for me, but there is always something there with his movies. His recent appearances on screen has been quite memorable and fun too, even if he gives little to no reactions.

There's a movie for that!
Watch My Best Fiend | Prime Video

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There was a time decades ago that I wanted Dennis Hopper to get the role if there ever was a Kinski bio, but I like both Busey and Dafoe a lot.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Come Play (2020)
2.50 out of 4stars

Wasn't sure what to expect going in. Stayed away from the trailers, so not to ruin anything/scenes that could be showed, and chose this film on a whim given the other options for 'horror' movies in theaters currently. And was pleasantly surprised but by no means thrilled. First, this movie definitely targets tweens, it should do the trick for giving them a good fright. But as a 30 something who's dabbled into watching horror films here and there, it was solid and intriguing(not scary though), nothing more and nothing less. Long story short, it does a good job of trying to connect with tweens/youth overly electronic obsessions and what it can do them directly/indirectly, how family's cope with child issues (autism per say here), how hard it is to play good parent vs bad parent, loneliness, and the sad and strange obsession most/some parents have wanting to be deeply loved by their kids, whom, especially at a tweens age, are more intrigued by other things. That said, it doesn't dive deeply into those themes, just brings them about a bit. Solid, but nothing great.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Con Air (1997) - 7/10

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. This is the best movie Michael Bay never made.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Just finished (re)watching 12 monkeys.
First time I watched it was probably around 1996 so I was pretty happy to not remember all the plot details.
Pretty good
8/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hellraiser

with 80's people, 80's special effects, and 80's hair.

Clive Barker's seminal work of horror. A guy named Frank buys a weird puzzle box thingie from a guy in Morocco, and when he opens it in his attic, flesh-ripping chains emerge to tear him apart and bring him to another dimension of torture. This is a thing he did voluntarily. Years later, his straight-laced brother Larry and his severe 80's power-suited wife Julia take up residence in the abandoned house, to be closer to Larry's work. Thing is, Julia was cheating on Larry with Frank before his inter-dimensional disemboweling, and she still obsesses over him. Which is a good thing for Frank, because he escapes from the torture dimension and needs fresh blood to regenerate himself on Earth. As one does. Julia is soon hanging out in bars and seducing balding lounge lizards to lure up to the attic of horror, but Larry's daughter by another wife who wasn't a horrible hellspawn shows up and throws a wrench into their plans. She ends up with the box which summons the Cenobites, leather-clad S&M freaks of the dark dimension who aren't too happy about Frank slipping their realm. Buckets of fake blood ensue.

My wife's a big Clive Barker fan. She's got all his books, keeps up with the various literary universes, but I'd never actually seen the movie before. It's actually not easy to find these days...but tonight she pulled out the dvd and I saw it. And it sucks. Really. Even for the time period, it sucks. It makes Highlander look like Oscar bait by comparison. No idea how it spawned like ten sequels. Blech.

hellraiser-poster-box.jpg

Why the bloody hell does anyone want this thing? Open me and you'll be sucked into a hellscape of unending torture! Fun! Yeah, no...

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Hellraiser

with 80's people, 80's special effects, and 80's hair.

Clive Barker's seminal work of horror. A guy named Frank buys a weird puzzle box thingie from a guy in Morocco, and when he opens it in his attic, flesh-ripping chains emerge to tear him apart and bring him to another dimension of torture. This is a thing he did voluntarily. Years later, his straight-laced brother Larry and his severe 80's power-suited wife Julia take up residence in the abandoned house, to be closer to Larry's work. Thing is, Julia was cheating on Larry with Frank before his inter-dimensional disemboweling, and she still obsesses over him. Which is a good thing for Frank, because he escapes from the torture dimension and needs fresh blood to regenerate himself on Earth. As one does. Julia is soon hanging out in bars and seducing balding lounge lizards to lure up to the attic of horror, but Larry's daughter by another wife who wasn't a horrible hellspawn shows up and throws a wrench into their plans. She ends up with the box which summons the Cenobites, leather-clad S&M freaks of the dark dimension who aren't too happy about Frank slipping their realm. Buckets of fake blood ensue.

My wife's a big Clive Barker fan. She's got all his books, keeps up with the various literary universes, but I'd never actually seen the movie before. It's actually not easy to find these days...but tonight she pulled out the dvd and I saw it. And it sucks. Really. Even for the time period, it sucks. It makes Highlander look like Oscar bait by comparison. No idea how it spawned like ten sequels. Blech.

hellraiser-poster-box.jpg

Why the bloody hell does anyone want this thing? Open me and you'll be sucked into a hellscape of unending torture! Fun! Yeah, no...

The only reason I'm not putting you on ignore after this is that I want to know more about your wife!

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
MV5BNDM5ZmU4MWMtN2Q2Mi00MTBjLTk5YWQtYTYyZGU0MTc1YTI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

The Gunfighter
(1956) Directed by Henry Avery 6A

Johnny Ringo (Gregory Peck), a notorious gunslinger, kills a young man in a saloon who draws on him first. Though Ringo had no choice, the dead man’s three brothers are on his trail bent upon revenge. Ringo rides to Cheyenne to visit his estranged lover and their young son. She doesn’t want to see him. Trouble doesn’t just follow him to Cheyenne, it already awaits him there. The Gunfighter doesn’t have quite the reputation of some other classic Westerns from Hollywood’s Golden Age. It is easy to see why. The Gunfighter doesn’t have much gunfighting in it, or action of any kind for that matter. Throughout most of the film, the audience is stuck in a bar waiting for Ringo to decide when he is going to leave town. This is a Western where the emphasis is on how you can’t escape your past and how difficult it is to start over again if only because too many people won’t let you. As chatty Westerns go, however, The Gunfighter is a good one. Normally straight-laced Peck (he is definitely a Gregory, not a Greg) would seem an odd choice for a killer, but he handles the role with ease to spare.

Criterion Channel

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
For horror fans, lots of good Netflix suggestions including movies off the beaten path:

The 50 Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now
If you had to select 5 or 10 from that list to recommend, which ones would you choose?

I’m interested in Green Room and It Comes at Night.

I was a fan of The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I don’t watch a ton of horror films, but that’s one of my favorites from recent years.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Even though you didn't ask me, I watched Green Room just last week and didn't like it. I thought that the plot didn't make sense, it was hard to sympathize with the characters, it was predictable and Patrick Stewart seemed miscast (the only suitable attribute seeming to be that he's bald). It didn't help that I don't like punk music, either. In other words, I wouldn't recommend it, but, according to Rotten Tomatoes, I'm in the minority, so chances are that you'll like it better and you should just ignore me. Just be aware that it's not "horror" in the sense of the other two movies that you listed. It's gritty and disturbing (i.e. more grindhouse) instead of atmospheric and scary.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If you had to select 5 or 10 from that list to recommend, which ones would you choose?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll still point out I can't even name 5 good horror films from this (I haven't seen 80% of this very bad list - I mean, if you have to put The Crow down as a horror film, you might want to make a shorter list). If you haven't seen The Evil Dead, just go with that one. Under the Shadow, just recently saw, is very good. Session 9 is a good modest film.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I was a fan of The Autopsy of Jane Doe. I don’t watch a ton of horror films, but that’s one of my favorites from recent years.
I liked your three picks so maybe we are on a similar wavelength a bit. I haven't seen a lot of the listed movies, but plan to. And most of the more famous ones, like Underworld and Red Dragon, I didn't like. So, anyway:

Under the Shadow (Iran) --starts like a normal family drama and turns into something quite unexpected; among the better films of 2016.
Train from Busan (South Korea)--just a fun, trapped-in-a-confined-space horror movie; high gore quotient, though.
The Endless (US)--interesting idea, mind-bending
Calibre (Scotland)--smart, atmospheric, well thought-out
Ravenous (Les Affames) (Quebec)--a low key, almost realistic zombie movie that takes a more character-driven approach

Pan's Labrynth is excellent, though I'm not sure I would call it a horror movie. Funny I say that, because the horror of it has stayed with me since I saw it but more as a byproduct. Anaconda is silly but a lot of fun. Liked The Crow when it came out; haven't seen it since.

I was not a fan of Horns or Sleepy Hollow, though the latter has its defenders.

Last edited:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
The Witch is still the only horror film I've seen that I liked, it is easily my least-favourite genre.

Under the Skin was very good too, if one wants to count that as a horror film.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Sweet Hereafter (1997) - 6.5/10

This one was a disappointment because it felt like a TV movie. I was expecting this really good well-made drama but it had all the elements of a TV film from the uneven acting and pacing to the over-dramatization of certain lines and feeling just good enough to keep you interested but never truly good. Which is a shame because I bet the book this is based on is probably good and it could've been better made today maybe even by the same director with a bigger budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad