Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I should mention that I picked up a three-film set of Raul Ruiz. Super-quick impressions:

The Suspended Vocation:: Will have to revisit at some point. Left me a little bored, Thought Bunuel's The Milky Way as a critique of Catholic Church absurdities was more entertaining.

Three Crowns of the Sailor
: Wonderful surreal story telling with nothing being superfluous. A lot to unpack. Love the ending--took it partly as a comment on the fickle nature of audience.

The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting
: Probably liked this one the best, though I thought it was somewhat dry and academic. I suspect I do not have anywhere near as much fun with concepts like intertextuality as you do, but I thought the movie was brilliant. Great take on the pitfalls of the critic, too.

Have you seen Morel's Invention? I just have been wondering what you might think of that. Just struck me as something you might like.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
f0367483_00372868.jpg

f0367483_00380251.jpg

Central Park Drifter (Graveyard Shift, Ciccoritti, 1987) - No mistake to be made, this is a bad movie. In fact, the scene where the lead actress tells the vampire to back off and asks him why he lied to her is probably the worst acting I've ever seen on film (and I've seen a lot of Jess Franco films). Still, it has its importance and it's not to be flushed down a toilet. Following in The Hunger's path, it's one of the first films to use vampires as an AIDS allegory (and it did it better than most, not shying away from the sexy and less sexy stuff). It also has some level of reflexivity that's kind of blurry, with the female lead being a music video director and the film itself being mostly shot as one (ending on the graveyard set of her next shoot). It's very 80s, so very much that it sometimes feels like a pastiche of what a 80s cliché should be. It's also way more stylish than it should be, considering the budget, with a lot of work into lighting and shot framing. In the end, it's a nice looking b-movie about the risks of doing it with random people, with too much synths and bad actors. 4/10

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I should mention that I picked up a three-film set of Raul Ruiz. Super-quick impressions:

The Suspended Vocation:: Will have to revisit at some point. Left me a little bored, Thought Bunuel's The Milky Way as a critique of Catholic Church absurdities was more entertaining.

: Wonderful surreal story telling with nothing being superfluous. A lot to unpack. Love the ending--took it partly as a comment on the fickle nature of audience.

: Probably liked this one the best, though I thought it was somewhat dry and academic. I suspect I do not have anywhere near as much fun with concepts like intertextuality as you do, but I thought the movie was brilliant. Great take on the pitfalls of the critic, too.

Have you seen Morel's Invention? I just have been wondering what you might think of that. Just struck me as something you might like.

Wasn't too much of a fan of the first and have only seen it once (should go back to it!). The other two are in my top-3 films ever - Three Crowns being my favorite.

I am the one who suggested you to watch Morel's Invention in the movie club thread!! Quick thoughts: Movies: - The Official "Movie of the Week" Club Thread III

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wasn't too much of a fan of the first and have only seen it once (should go back to it!). The other two are in my top-3 films ever - Three Crowns being my favorite.

I am the one who suggested you to watch Morel's Invention in the movie club thread!! Quick thoughts: Movies: - The Official "Movie of the Week" Club Thread III
Jesus, my mind is going. It was another movie that I liked more after I had some time to give it some thought and to let it sink in. I think I would have cut a lot of the first half hour of him on the rocks (if I remember that correctly), and I think I took it initially as a kind of Last Year at Marienbad pretender, but I once I got over those two things, it has really stuck in my mind as a haunting film.

I'll pitch one your way, if I haven't already. Weerasethakul's first feature film Mysterious Object at Noon based on "the exquisite corpse" game (one person starts a story, the next person adds to it, knowing only some general details about what has come before, and so on). Great director for you to explore, I think.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Jesus, my mind is going. It was another movie that I liked more after I had some time to give it some thought and to let it sink in. I think I would have cut a lot of the first half hour of him on the rocks (if I remember that correctly), and I think I took it initially as a kind of Last Year at Marienbad pretender, but I once I got over those two things, it has really stuck in my mind as a haunting film.

I'll pitch one your way, if I haven't already. Weerasethakul's first feature film Mysterious Object at Noon based on "the exquisite corpse" game (one person starts a story, the next person adds to it, knowing only some general details about what has come before, and so on). Great director for you to explore, I think.

Haven't seen it. Don't know if I can find it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wait, hadn't you watched The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting in the movie of the week thread? I know I did? I wasn't as in love with it as @Violenza Domestica, but it's the first time where I could make a direct correlation between a film and my dreams, if only in its visuals. So it definitely stuck with me. 'Dry and Academic' is the perfect way to put it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wait, hadn't you watched The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting in the movie of the week thread? I know I did? I wasn't as in love with it as @Violenza Domestica, but it's the first time where I could make a direct correlation between a film and my dreams, if only in its visuals. So it definitely stuck with me. 'Dry and Academic' is the perfect way to put it.
:Yes, I thought it was brilliant then, too. My problem with Morel's Invention was though the movie stuck with me, until I worked it out a couple of days ago, the title eluded me; it just rang no bells. As to your point, I can't remember a movie popping up in my dreams. That must be an interesting experience.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
fiend2.jpg

Fiend without a Face
(1958) Directed by Arthur Crabtree 5A

With rare notable exceptions like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Thing, '50s science fiction at the movies was a primitive endeavor. Predominantly low budget B-movies with really unconvincing special effects, science fiction flicks nonetheless thrived, perhaps as a way of addressing the fears of the day, like atomic radiation or Communism. Fiend without a Face is a good example of the genre. A cautionary tale about atomic energy set on a US air force base in Manitoba (!!!!!), Fiend without a Face deals with a series of experiments that are being performed with atomic reactors to increase radar signals so they can reveal more about what the Russians are up to. Then the townspeople, we Canadians variously described as “backwards, simple-minded and superstitious,” began to die horrible deaths. There is a rather restrained version of a mad scientist, and, yes, atomic energy does enter the equation--but, of course, order is restored in the end. Except for the roaming about of some silly looking monsters—brains with spinal cords and grasshopper antennae--there is very little action. The movie is basically a lot of talk about what the problem is and what the solution might be. Still, if you can accept the old-timey approach, Fiend without a Face is a mildly entertaining movie, its hokiness almost quaint. Simpler times, simpler times—though simpler should not be mistaken for better.

Criterion Channel

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Above Majestic
???

This is a documentary from at least one of the ancient aliens "guys" about supposedly "true" consipracy theories. It got me thinking a lot, even if a lot of these theories are untrue, they would at least be fun sci-fi fantasy or things to fantasize/conceptualize about. Just gonna spitball some...zero point energy, free energy, nazi's with mooon/other planet bases, cabal/illuminati running the world with alien race ties/motives, nazi operation paperclip/infiltration of the US government, antarctica reptilian colonies, anti-gravity spaceships, age regression testing success, human consciousness transfer success, consciousness ascension, galaxy wide space travel, human trafficking galaxy wide, some stuff that sounds similar to "doctor sleep" movie events, not sure if I heard of teleportation, etc.

Anyone believe any of these have any weight? Even 50/50 probabilities? Either way, fun thinking entertainment.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
There is nobody better in the world at genre movies right now than Koreans. I went on a binge recently, and I really recommend Montage (2013), The Witness (2018) and Exit (2019). Extreme Job (2019) and The Gangster, The Cop and The Devil (2019) are also quite fun too, but I did not enjoy them as much as the previous three. A Hard Day (2014) and #Alive (2020) are in the meh category, but even then, they are enjoyable than most.

If anyone wants more details for any of them, I will write up a longer review. I am less motivated to do reviews for action flicks, because they are usually made for mass consumption, and there are only so many ways to describe a fun ride.
:laugh:

I really want to watch Peninsula, the Train to Busan sequel, but there is no way I will go to the cinemas now.
:(

Also, based on these movies, South Korea seems like a dangerous to go, because all the cops are very inept and corrupt, and they are often stymied by their superiors who are more interested in the preservation of their positions than public safety. If there is a crime, it will likely go cold. It is actually interesting how little faith the Korean filmmakers have in their own law enforcement. So far, of all the movies I listed, there has only been one competent cop, and one other somewhat competent cop. Unfortunately, both could not get the job done alone. In the later's case, the protagonist has to solve the problem himself too.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Almost Famous - 2000

Probably my all time favourite movie. I love everything about this film. Strong performances from Kate Hudson, Frances McDormand, Jason Lee and Philip Seymour Hoffman, but my favourite performance in the film is Billy Crudup as Russell Hammond, the guitarist in the band Stillwater.

I would recommend this movie to anyone.

10/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Jexi

with Adam DeVine, Michael Pena, the voice of Rose Byrne, and other people.

Phil (DeVine) lives in San Francisco and works for a horrible boss (Pena) at a clickfarm website specializing in vapid top ten lists. His place may be amazing based on what little I know about the SF rental market, but he's isolated into his phone and social media...right until he crashes into a cute bike store owner. They have some inept minor flirting, then he leaves and crashes into another chick who really does destroy his phone. Distraught, he heads to the cellphone store where the world's worst saleswoman sells him a new phone; one with a virtual assistant Jexi, whose mission is to make his life better. And Jexi takes this task very seriously. She's got some "bugs" in her programming, and she quickly takes over Phil's life. At first, he goes through some fish out of water anxiety, but with Jexi's prodding and threats to ruin his life, he eventually does get out and about. Jexi however does experience jealousy, so Phil's burgeoning romance with cute bike store chick Cate has some speedbumps. Who will triumph, human or AI? Watch and be moderately amused.

Basically a riff on Her, only it's a comedy and the female-voiced AI is an unbalanced psycho. Think of all the stuff you put on social media, texts, emails and everything else. Jexi has no qualms about using it against you should you cross her. Your phone might not say: *click* No. *click* Stop. *click* I hate you. *click* when you're taking dick pics, but it would probably be doing you a favour if it did.

Mostly okayish, but does have a couple big laughs that make it worthwhile. Like when you find out how a virtual assistant has sex with a human.

On Prime.

Blunt.jpg

This is the least bitchy she gets.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
12 Monkeys (1995) - 7.5/10

Brad Pitt is really fun in this. The rest looks a bit cheap and feels stupid, I'm not a fan of whatever Bruce Willis is doing here, but it's got enough of a fun intriguing plot to keep it interesting.

Perfect Sense (2011) - 6/10

I found Eva Green very dislikable here for some reason plus I guess I'm not a fan of the whole subdued romantic film.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Perfect Sense (2011) - 6/10

I found Eva Green very dislikable here for some reason plus I guess I'm not a fan of the whole subdued romantic film.
If I were a sexist, I'd say that Eva Green's likeability is proportional to the amount of clothes she has on. But I'm not a sexist so I won't say it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
nobodyknows.jpg

Nobody Knows I’m Here
(2020) Directed by Gaspar Antillo 6A

Nobody Knows I’m Here tells the story of near-hermit Memo (Jorge Garcia from Lost) who has long since hidden away from public view, living with his uncle on a deserted island in southern Chile. Gradually and concisely his back story emerges. A gifted child singer, he was deemed too overweight and unattractive to be presentable to an audience of young teenage girls. So, while his voice was used, another performer received all the adulation and glory. Because of an action Memo takes to get revenge, the young boy becomes a social outcast, and by the time we meet him years later, he is a deeply damaged man who prefers anonymity and understandably so. Garcia mutters few words throughout the entire movie, but he does a wonderful job of revealing the depth of Memo’s trauma. Nobody Knows I’m Here benefits immensely from broody but beautiful cinematography and a carefully understated approach to its key scenes, emphasizing internalized emotional devastation over melodrama. The movie touches a lot of bases including the lack of privacy in the age of social media and the pervasive judgement of the internet. I really wasn’t expecting Nobody Knows I’m Here to be as accomplished as it is, so the movie was a very pleasant surprise.

subtitlles

Netflix

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
A couple of 3s from the last week or so.... (to me 3s are movies that are what they are, and from which you can't expect to gain anything - I like films that get me thinking, and I really don't need the film to be intelligent for that, I just need a few interesting concepts or ideas)

Death Wish (Roth, 2018) - Really not a fan of Eli Roth. I guess replacing the non-acting skills of Bronson with Bruce Willis was a given, otherwise it didn't feel like Death Wish at all (a film I haven't seen in 30 years, so maybe I'm just off). 3/10

Superman's Return (Singer, 2006) - It took me a long time to watch this because it felt very cheesy. It is. On one side, it's very dumb and childish and probably a close adaptation of the comics for that, but on the other side, it's suprisingly "adult", with the boyfriend realizing and accepting he's the third wheel of a relationship that's beyond him. 3/10

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) - When I got through the Singer film, I thought "man, the Snyder film was way better", so I decided to watch it again... Shouldn't have. It's a lot less cheesy, the characters are more likable, and it overall looks better as a film. But damn... how many buildings can you get thrown through? It felt like a study in how much action can bore people. Really not sure anymore which of the two films I prefer. 3/10

The Cold Light of Day (El Mechri, 2012) - I guess I went from Cavill to Cavill. Again very repetitive, with the car chases and dumb action. It could have been interesting if it went a little into the family secrets and complex identity of the father, but it doesn't. At least Bruce Willis dies. 3/10

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A couple of 3s from the last week or so.... (to me 3s are movies that are what they are, and from which you can't expect to gain anything - I like films that get me thinking, and I really don't need the film to be intelligent for that, I just need a few interesting concepts or ideas)

Death Wish (Roth, 2018) - Really not a fan of Eli Roth. I guess replacing the non-acting skills of Bronson with Bruce Willis was a given, otherwise it didn't feel like Death Wish at all (a film I haven't seen in 30 years, so maybe I'm just off). 3/10

Superman's Return (Singer, 2006) - It took me a long time to watch this because it felt very cheesy. It is. On one side, it's very dumb and childish and probably a close adaptation of the comics for that, but on the other side, it's suprisingly "adult", with the boyfriend realizing and accepting he's the third wheel of a relationship that's beyond him. 3/10

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) - When I got through the Singer film, I thought "man, the Snyder film was way better", so I decided to watch it again... Shouldn't have. It's a lot less cheesy, the characters are more likable, and it overall looks better as a film. But damn... how many buildings can you get thrown through? It felt like a study in how much action can bore people. Really not sure anymore which of the two films I prefer. 3/10

The Cold Light of Day (El Mechri, 2012) - I guess I went from Cavill to Cavill. Again very repetitive, with the car chases and dumb action. It could have been interesting if it went a little into the family secrets and complex identity of the father, but it doesn't. At least Bruce Willis dies. 3/10
3/10 X 4.

Why do you torture yourself with this stuff when there are so many good movies out there?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
3/10 X 4.

Why do you torture yourself with this stuff when there are so many good movies out there?

I watch that stuff at night and fall asleep to it. My brain's not what it used to be and overloads fast. Call it intellectual laziness.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

nayman_jojo_rabbit_fox_ringer.0.jpg

Quirky, off-beat comedy/drama... I had heard some good things but the movie synopsis (subject matter) didn't really compel me enough to watch it until it ran on Crave TV. Very funny at times and also a tear jerker at others - it really is a finely made film and easily one of the best I have watched in the last year. Excellent performances by the main protagonists (Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson)

9/10

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just watched Sputnik, a sort of Russian "Alien." Logic was not a strong suit but it was atmospheric and the creature was interesting. I'd give it 6.5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad