Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Haunting Of Sharon Tate [2019] :

I'd call The Haunting of Sharon Tate a "tasteless mess", but I'm worried the words "tasteless mess" will sue me for defamation - I'm sure those 2 words don't want to be associated with this movie.

2/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Triple Frontier

with Batfleck, Javi Pena, Jax Teller, a guy who looks enough like Jax Teller to play his little brother, and Oscar Isaac.

Oscar Isaac is seconded to a South American KOS police squad who gets the location of a major drug baron, who's unwisely decided to keep all the hard currency he accumulates in his actual house in the hot, humid Brazilian jungle. Oscar hops a plane back to the good ol' US of A and looks up his old army buddies with a plan to get super rich and rid the world of a horrible drug baron at the same time. U S A! U S A! What could possibly go wrong? A lot, as it turns out. Who woulda seen that coming?! I mean, besides anyone who's seen a heist movie before in their lives?!

The cliches come fast and furious as the boys fall prey to greed, infighting, poor planning, and inconsistent physics. One guy's bullet hole magically goes away, the sheer weight of paper can either blow out the engine in a Russian helicopter or be easily carried by five mules through the oxygen-deficient atmosphere of the high Andes mountains (depending on the plot requirements), and the movie can't decide if the guys in our merry little band are honorable, hard done-by, neglected warriors just looking for their cut or utterly remorseless mercs who can kill teenagers without batting an eyelash.

No idea how this one got such positive reviews. It's got a good cast and everything, and Oscar Isaac can make almost anything watchable, but I thought it was painfully predictable all the way through.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Port of Shadows (1938) - 8/10

Fairly good mix of genres including some philosophy usual of talkative wise sad French films, noir, and romance (and not the shitty type of noir romance). Also a bit different than most of the other 30s films I've seen, probably because it has far more subtlety and things being implied rather than shown than other 30s films which also tend to be more sentimental. The dialogue certainly feels a dozen years ahead of its time compared to Hollywood 30s films.

Surprised by your review. My review from years ago. Hint : I liked it more than you. :)

I don't really enjoy horror films and this was basically a horror film, I should've known knowing that guy directed Green Room.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Triple Frontier

with Batfleck, Javi Pena, Jax Teller, a guy who looks enough like Jax Teller to play his little brother, and Oscar Isaac.

Oscar Isaac is seconded to a South American KOS police squad who gets the location of a major drug baron, who's unwisely decided to keep all the hard currency he accumulates in his actual house in the hot, humid Brazilian jungle. Oscar hops a plane back to the good ol' US of A and looks up his old army buddies with a plan to get super rich and rid the world of a horrible drug baron at the same time. U S A! U S A! What could possibly go wrong? A lot, as it turns out. Who woulda seen that coming?! I mean, besides anyone who's seen a heist movie before in their lives?!

The cliches come fast and furious as the boys fall prey to greed, infighting, poor planning, and inconsistent physics. One guy's bullet hole magically goes away, the sheer weight of paper can either blow out the engine in a Russian helicopter or be easily carried by five mules through the oxygen-deficient atmosphere of the high Andes mountains (depending on the plot requirements), and the movie can't decide if the guys in our merry little band are honorable, hard done-by, neglected warriors just looking for their cut or utterly remorseless mercs who can kill teenagers without batting an eyelash.

No idea how this one got such positive reviews. It's got a good cast and everything, and Oscar Isaac can make almost anything watchable, but I thought it was painfully predictable all the way through.
You could have just said 'real good' like my review. Did you read the Icelandic Sagas yet?

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I saw Shazam tonight. I really enjoyed it. DC is bringing in the fun that's been lacking on the Marvel end for a while.

I agree, after seeing this and previously Aquaman, it's pretty evident that DC took a couple steps of creating amiable and light fun popcorn movies than being bad at trying to create serious iconic comic book movies. And of course the central message in all of these is that heroes aren't born, they're made/grown. Shazam was a little childish, obviously targeting that younger crowd, but also fun and funny and preached good natured things while tying everything together rather well. 2.70 out of 4stars

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I agree, after seeing this and previously Aquaman, it's pretty evident that DC took a couple steps of creating amiable and light fun popcorn movies than being bad at trying to create serious iconic comic book movies. And of course the central message in all of these is that heroes aren't born, they're made/grown. Shazam was a little childish, obviously targeting that younger crowd, but also fun and funny and preached good natured things while tying everything together rather well. 2.70 out of 4stars

I didn't know what the demographic was for this movie, but I thought the theme of family and finding your place in a world that has basically kicked you in the nuts is very important for everyone. I liked Billy's journey, from runaway to acceptance and finally finding what is truly important.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Uh, yeah. But then, we're both familiar with that poster...;)
A very good poster , the poster boy of posters. Check out my Bill Laswell thread for some enlightened music. Listen to every clip in chronological order and i'll attempt to read your review. Do it, start tonight. It begins in the late 70's. I have 4 pages so far , currently up to '93. He is a producer/Bassist and he appears on so many great projects either as producer or performer. His discography is amazing. I hope you have good computer speakers or use Apple TV for your home stereo. Either that or good headphones, you won't be disappointed. We don't know each other well but i get the feeling you can appreciate this type of music.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Pet Sematary [2019] :

About half way through Pet Sematary, Rachel, a woman haunted by her sister's death, looks behind a mirror where she finds an elevator shaft. A moment later, her sister's body drops out of the shaft. Rachel screams.

This was the one and only jump I experienced while watching Pet Sematary.

The 2019 version of Stephen King's mean spirited book is shockingly bad.

2.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Bohemian Rhapsody

with Academy Award winner Rami Malek, and other people.

The legendary rock band Queen gets the musical biopic treatment with the emphasis on Rami Malek as the absurdly talented and swishy frontman Freddie Mercury. There's been a fair bit of controversy regarding how fast and loose the movie plays with the truth, but honestly, watching it...you don't care.

If you like Queen at all, then watch this movie. Watch the shit out of it. Then watch it again. Freddie is a diva extraordinaire...Brian May and Roger Taylor are sitting around in exasperation waiting for him to calm down and do his thing...and John Deacon didn't pony up the cash to help produce this movie. So we don't hear much from the bass player. But oh well. Because dammit, we get to see how classic rock songs get made and played. I'm not even really that big of a Queen fan, but I have to admit there were tears in my eyes during the whole Live Aid sequence.

Awesome movie. Like I said, if you even remotely like Queen's music, you need to watch this. Right now.

And dammit, I don't care what my wife says. I'm buying I'm In Love With My Car on iTunes tomorrow.

Reactions: OzzyFan and Puck

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I didn't know what the demographic was for this movie, but I thought the theme of family and finding your place in a world that has basically kicked you in the nuts is very important for everyone. I liked Billy's journey, from runaway to acceptance and finally finding what is truly important.

Off the bat and given the theater audience I saw it with it, I have a feeling that the 10yr old to 15yrs~ old male crowd was the main target and feel I got from the movie. That said, the messages in the movie could fit almost anyone, lost 20/30yr olds, children taking in the world, "adults" living meaningless lives or adults with families that don't prioritize properly, etc etc.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Case Against Adnan Syed [2019] :

Fascinating documentary about the death of Hae Min Lee, and the evidence that convicted her ex boyfriend, Adnan Syed.

Did Syed kill Lee? Was he framed?

The documentary is 4 parts - 1 hour each. The first 3 parts are terrific. Part 4, which concentrates on the appeal, is (by far) the least interesting.

If you like real life murder mysteries, you will love The Case Against Adnan Syed.

For the record, I believe Syed killed Lee.

7.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Spy Who Fell To Earth [2019] :

Story of agent (or was he a double agent?) Ashraf Marwan.

I'm not a Spy vs. Spy kinda guy and I lost interest in this documentary.
5.5/10

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Crazy Rich Asians - 0.5 (Bad)
Saw it in a social setting. It was a bit better than I initially dismissed, in that I at least no longer think that it was hyped up purely because of an agenda-driven all-Asian gimmick (it's not exactly My-Big-Fat-Greek-Wedding-Razzie-level-trash and deserves way more credit than that) but it's still pretty lame/sappy/cheesy/bad in the broader ways that you would have to expect from this type of movie.

Least forgivable offenders were that "who cares?" cheating-sub-plot, Ken Jeong's family, and that super cringe-y and unnecessary Mahjong scene at the end (It demands to be parodied and ridiculed, IMO-- just confront each other normally for **** sakes!)

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I am perfectly fine with a good romantic comedy, but My Big Fat Greek Wedding was not that. I'll happily elbow drop onto that pile on. Hated it about as much as I've hated any movie.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am perfectly fine with a good romantic comedy, but My Big Fat Greek Wedding was not that. I'll happily elbow drop onto that pile on. Hated it about as much as I've hated any movie.
Most movies that I would consider bad are just kind of inoffensively mediocre and easily forgettable (sometimes even watchable), but My Big Fat Greek Wedding was one of the few I can think of that was that aggressively and inescapably obnoxious in how bad it was. The fact that everyone somehow seemed to go nuts about that piece of crap at the time made it especially unbearable.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Most movies that I would consider bad are just kind of inoffensively mediocre and easily forgettable (sometimes even watchable), but My Big Fat Greek Wedding was one of the few I can think of that was so aggressively and inescapably obnoxious in how bad it was. The fact that everyone somehow seemed to go nuts about that piece of crap at the time made it especially unbearable.
Agree, 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad