Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Hereditary - 7/10 - which puts it up there with the best horror films of the decade, very close to It Follows, and just behind Babadook (or, if you consider those horror films, very close to Under the Skin, and just behind Berberian Sound Studio and L'étrange couleur des larmes de ton corps).

Cliffhanger - I wanted to like it more, because I like Stallone quite a bit, but it was even more blah than I remembered and just couldn't - 2/10

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hereditary - 7/10 - which puts it up there with the best horror films of the decade, very close to It Follows, and just behind Babadook (or, if you consider those horror films, very close to Under the Skin, and just behind Berberian Sound Studio and L'étrange couleur des larmes de ton corps).
Makes me wonder about omissions. Do you have an opinion on any of the following: Under the Shadow; The Wailing; Train to Busan and New Zealand's House Arrest? Just curious to get your take on them. Under the Shadow would be my 2nd seed behind Under the Skin if I were constructing a similar list.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Makes me wonder about omissions. Do you have an opinion on any of the following: Under the Shadow; The Wailing; Train to Busan and New Zealand's House Arrest? Just curious to get your take on them. Under the Shadow would be my 2nd seed behind Under the Skin if I were constructing a similar list.
Do you mean New Zealand's "Housebound"?

As for me...

I didn't find Under The Skin scary, but that may have been because I had read the book.

Under The Shadow and The Wailing were two SCARY movies. The Wailing takes a while to get going but once it does...

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Do you mean New Zealand's Housebound?

As for me...

I didn't find Under The Skin scary, but that may have been because I had read the book.

Under The Shadow and The Wailing were two SCARY movies. The Wailing takes a while to get going but once it does...
Yes, Housebound--my error. Principally I liked the offbeat humour and the no-nonsense heroine.

Under the Shadow takes a while to get going, too. It starts out like a typical Iranian domestic drama, a good one, and then it just curves off into something totally unexpected.

I knew nothing about Under the Skin when I went into the theatre, just the general estimation that the film was a different kind of horror movie. I found it to be a horror movie with a genuinely creepy aftertaste, but stylish as hell, too. Totally wowed me.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I knew nothing about Under the Skin when I went into the theatre, just the genuine estimation that the film was a different kind of horror movie. I found it to be a horror movie with a genuinely creepy aftertaste, but stylish as hell, too. Totally wowed me.
I wish I felt the same way. That's the problem with having read the book, you're always making the comparison instead of losing yourself in the movie - at least for me.

The (pleasant) shock of seeing SJ naked (over and over, again) also took me out of the moment.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Under the Shadow takes a while to get going, too. It starts out like a typical Iranian domestic drama, a good one, and then it just curves off into something totally unexpected.
I liked how scary it was with very limited, if any, SGI

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
lead_720_405.jpg

Us
(2019) Directed by Jordan Peele 5B (wildly uneven movie; largely incoherent)I

A black middle-class family of four go on vacation. In the mother's case, Adelaide (Lupita Nyong'o) is less enthusiastic about the destination than the rest of her family because she fears she will have to relive memories of a long ago incident when she was a child that traumatized her. Before her fears can be confronted, though, she and her brood are soon attacked by very angry and very violent replicas of themselves. As it turns out other families are facing a similar fate, and nobody knows what is going on. Who are these doppelgangers and where do they come from? And what does this have to do with Adelaide's scary childhood incident? Good luck figuring it out.

Us is not so much a bad movie as a rough draft of a movie that could be pretty good if the script was altered to provide sensible answers to a host of questions. Such is not the case. The "threat" comes with insufficient back story and never does get fully explained. So incoherence is a major problem in this movie, but certainly not the only one. The movie never does establish a tone. It does not seem to know whether it wants to be a comedy or a horror movie with the result that it doesn't achieve either goal. While Peele faced a similar challenge in Get Out, he found the right balance; here, he doesn't. In the end, the narrative seems inconsequential, and the horror is well directed technically but never really convincing dramatically. The movie seems like an academic exercise with no real bite of any kind. As far as social statements go, again, who knows? Whereas Get Out brilliantly filtered the pervasiveness of US white racism through the lens of traditional horror movie tropes, this one doesn't seem anywhere near as sure of its message (which could be more banal than profound anyway). In reality, it's hard to figure out what Peele intended to accomplish. If Us were an essay, I wouldn't give it a grade. I would just mark it "incomplete."
You are way too hard on the movie, my friend. While I agree it is not as good at Get Out, Peele has made a very interesting movie - and I'm someone who can seldom, if ever, suspend disbelief.

I'm disappointed you didn't like it more.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Peele is in demand right now and has many projects on the go, He might be spreading himself thin and that might be hurting him (quality).

I watched The Highwaymen this week on Netflix and enjoyed it a lot. Yes it was slow paced but I'm getting used to that. I thought the acting, writing and the sets were top notch with no CGI. I'm usually not a big Costner fan but he was good in this. Woody is always fun, good to see him getting his act together in his old age (dropped smoking a ton of weed every day). And it was interesting getting a different take on Bonnie and Clyde. I thought the writers did a good balancing act on the police bro-tality morality business.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe you are too old. ;)

Woody can play 'crazy' like Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, or Sam Rockwell etc., and pull it off well like they do. It's a gift.
I'm younger than W.H. :)

I hated True Detective and just about everything with him in it - minus Cheers.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Galveston [2018] :

Galveston is a slow burn character study about a hit man and a young prostitute. Theirs is a friendship of necessity - they're both on the run. Along the way, there are twists and turns. Some you see coming. Some you don't. All the while, your gut tells you there's a storm on the horizon. Your gut's not wrong.

Galveston is exceptionally well acted, well written, and well directed. It's also intense and real. What more could you ask of this little movie?

8/10

Movie Trailer :

Isn't it Gaviscon?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm younger than W.H. :)

I hated True Detective and just about everything with him in it - minus Cheers.
Woody seems to like playing both sides of the law, as a cop or a crook. His Dad died in prison, so that had an influence on him. He is very much an anti-establishment type in real life. His dope days affected his career and life choices, he has gone straight recently and has revived his career lately. I guess you like him or you don't.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think he's merely serviceable. Good enough that I don't get why he would be a target of criticism when there are so many worse (and more safe/uninteresting) actors out there, but when he's in one of my favorite movies, I usually think of him as more of a weak link that can take me out of it (like in No Country For Old Men, for example).

He does seem to rely on a certain shtick, but so do many others.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Upgrade: 6/10

In a world where cyber-enhanced humans are emerging, the race is on to who can create the best. Enter a really dumb mechanic and a really smart cyber implant.

I wanted to like this movie more but the writers obviously had very little respect for mechanics. The one's I know who work on classic cars are highly creative and intelligent people.

This guy was just a dumb mechanic who did dumb things and ignored every warning signal possible.

Other than that it's a pretty good movie.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I haven't seen Under the Shadow or House Arrest, but Under the Skin is one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't really see what everyone was getting at with so much praise behind The Wailing. It's a decent enough movie, but nothing special IMO. Felt a bit generic IMO. There is one incredibly orchestrated sequence about 2/3 in, and the last act is quite good where it's tough to know exactly where it's going/what's going to happen, but I just thought it dragged too long for the first half, and not in a good way (I often enjoy slower burn movies).

Train to Busan, on the other hand, is absolutely excellent. It's one of those movies where I would be surprised if anyone walked out of it saying they didn't like it to at least some degree. Yeah, zombies have been done a million times, and simply setting it on a train isn't enough of a hook to make it completely different or unique, but there is just so much heart put into the movie that it really puts it over the top. I honestly can't think of a movie that does a better job at fleshing out all of the characters (even side characters) to the point where you're genuinely rooting for/against them and actually care when something happens.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Well... I used to see pretty much everything that was done (even taught a class about horror films), but now I'm way off. I don't even know some of these titles, and the only one I saw was Train to Busan... gave it 3/10 and don't see what there was to like about that film. It's kind of Snakes on a plane, but with zombies, and on a train. Thought it was rather dumb.

I'm taking note of the other titles, if comes the chance, I'll watch!

Train to Busan, on the other hand, is absolutely excellent. It's one of those movies where I would be surprised if anyone walked out of it saying they didn't like it to at least some degree.

Me! Me! :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Stan & Ollie (2018) - 7/10 (Really enjoyed it)

What a charming movie. It was just as good as I hoped after reading ORRFForever's review and better than I imagined that it would be when I first saw the trailers. Especially after watching the depressing Bud and Lou (about Abbott & Costello), it was a great relief to have a film tackle a similar subject with loads more charm, laughs and bittersweetness.

Most people seem to be praising John C. Reilly's portrayal of Hardy, but I was more captivated by Steve Coogan's portrayal of Laurel. He had all of the mannerisms and that famous vacant expression. I imagine that it wouldn't have been as hard to achieve a similar Hardy performance with another actor as it would've been to achieve a similar Laurel impression... not that Reilly was bad or anything, but the "straight man" is easier to play than the funny man, IMO.

The only thing that I would've liked to have seen more of is old Hollywood. Since it takes place almost entirely on a British tour (and is a BBC film), it feels very British, so it's not quite the setting that you'd expect. That's just a nitpick, though.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it if you've ever seen and enjoyed a Laurel and Hardy film. If you haven't, it might not be for you or it might charm you and make you want to watch an actual Laurel and Hardy film. I know that it's been too long since I've seen one and am going to pick one out (perhaps Way Out West, which the film opens with them shooting) and watch it soon. Stan & Ollie makes you want to see more of them, which is probably one mark of a good biopic.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stan & Ollie (2018) - 7/10 (Really enjoyed it)

What a charming movie. It was just as good as I hoped after reading ORRFForever's review and better than I imagined that it would be when I first saw the trailers. Especially after watching the depressing Bud and Lou (about Abbott & Costello), it was a great relief to have a film tackle a similar subject with loads more charm, laughs and bittersweetness.

Most people seem to be praising John C. Reilly's portrayal of Hardy, but I was more captivated by Steve Coogan's portrayal of Laurel. He had all of the mannerisms and that famous vacant expression. I imagine that it wouldn't have been as hard to achieve a similar Hardy performance with another actor as it would've been to achieve a similar Laurel impression... not that Reilly was bad or anything, but the "straight man" is easier to play than the funny man, IMO.

The only thing that I would've liked to have seen more of is old Hollywood. Since it takes place almost entirely on a British tour (and is a BBC film), it feels very British, so it's not quite the setting that you'd expect. That's just a nitpick, though.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it if you've ever seen and enjoyed a Laurel and Hardy film. If you haven't, it might not be for you or it might charm you and make you want to watch an actual Laurel and Hardy film. I know that it's been too long since I've seen one and am going to pick one out (perhaps Way Out West, which the film opens with them shooting) and watch it soon. Stan & Ollie makes you want to see more of them, which is probably one mark of a good biopic.
Agree. It's hard not to like.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Blue Ruin (2013) - Hard to watch/10

I kinda hate films like this. Yeah I want a suspenseful revenge movie but I don't need to see a guy take an arrow out of his leg or hold his breath during a home invasion. It was only 90 minutes long but took me days to watch because of how uncomfortable it was, this shit is borderline horror. But it's a horror film dressed up with nice cinematography under the guise of an edgy drama so people love it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Blue Ruin (2013) - Hard to watch/10

I kinda hate films like this. Yeah I want a suspenseful revenge movie but I don't need to see a guy take an arrow out of his leg or hold his breath during a home invasion. It was only 90 minutes long but took me days to watch because of how uncomfortable it was, this **** is borderline horror. But it's a horror film dressed up with nice cinematography under the guise of an edgy drama so people love it.
Surprised by your review. My review from years ago. Hint : I liked it more than you. :)

Blue Ruin (2013) :

Prior to watching 10 Cloverfield Lane, I saw the trailer for Green Room :

The preview was better than the movie that followed so I decided to watch its director's (Jeremy Saulnier) earlier work, Blue Ruin - on Netflix.

Blue Ruin stars Macon Blair as a drifter whose parents were murdered. The tragedy haunts him so when the killer is released from prison, he seeks revenge. That act of vengeance leads to more reprisals as we are drawn deeper and deeper into a world where things "won't end well".

Blue Ruin
is painfully grim. There are no laughs, no light moments, no chance of redemption or happy ending. It is what it is. A very dark movie from start to finish. Very dark and very good.

7.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad