Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Eighth Grade. A thoughtful and impressive debut both for comedian/writer/director Bo Burnham and lead actress Elise Fisher. A snapshot of a few days in the life of a girl making the awkward transition from middle school to high school. Kayla is a heartbreakingly aware creation — cognizant of every shortcoming and flaw she possesses, while maybe not giving herself full credit for her positive attributes. She navigates the dangers of her life mostly minor, though one major, with a grace that feels very, very true whether it's as her more reserved real life persona or her more plucky/positive online self, shown frequently doling out life advice she can't quite adhere to herself. This isn't a Hollywood-ized teen story. Her small victories are moving and while the film's final scene may make too fine a point for some, I thought it made for a wonderful end. It's a fantastic performance from Fisher (and one I would've nominated for best actress).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Beyond Boundaries / The Harvey Weinstein Scandal [2018] :

One of the worst documentaries I've ever seen. The same clips are used over and over and over, again, all while a bunch of nobodies talk about this creep.

A complete waste of time - even on a snowy day in January.

1/10

Movie Trailer :

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The Master (2012)

I'm not sure what I just watched. Nicely shot. Good performances I guess. Other than that....???

4/10

I would give it 3.5, at best. Joaquin Phoenix's character in The Master is almost more unlikeable than his character in Gladiator. At least before I turned the film off. I think it's vaguely (or 'vaguely') based on Scientology. Seymour Hoffman's character is based on a boat, just like L. Ron was (to avoid taxes and stuff).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'd rewatch The Master just for the Phoenix/Hoffman clinic alone. Masterful stuff indeed, pun absolutely intended.

Bouncing into this from the Oscars thread ... That's a trio of dynamite performances in that film. I know the movie is a challenge for many (I'm a huge fan) and I don't begrudge anyone who isn't into it, but the acting from Phoenix, Hoffman and Adams is just off-the-charts great for me. To tie in a little recent relevance, I'm not a huge fan of Adams' performance in Vice in part because her Lynne Cheney feels like the same character from The Master in many ways and she was much better there.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Christian motifs? Little dialogue? Christian motifs? A dark, haunting ambiance? An orchestrated sound track to die for? Christian motifs? Jawdropping visuals and near perfect mise en scene?

If these things (plus Christian motifs) strike your fancy, you'll love Angel's Egg, a 1985 animated film I found on Youtube!

[analysis forthcoming....?]

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eighth Grade. A thoughtful and impressive debut both for comedian/writer/director Bo Burnham and lead actress Elise Fisher. A snapshot of a few days in the life of a girl making the awkward transition from middle school to high school. Kayla is a heartbreakingly aware creation — cognizant of every shortcoming and flaw she possesses, while maybe not giving herself full credit for her positive attributes. She navigates the dangers of her life mostly minor, though one major, with a grace that feels very, very true whether it's as her more reserved real life persona or her more plucky/positive online self, shown frequently doling out life advice she can't quite adhere to herself. This isn't a Hollywood-ized teen story. Her small victories are moving and while the film's final scene may make too fine a point for some, I thought it made for a wonderful end. It's a fantastic performance from Fisher (and one I would've nominated for best actress).
I haven't seen the movie, but I'll say I find Bo Burnham to be a fascinating case of success.

From youtube performer to an acclaimed comedian and now acclaimed director.

I imagine as time goes on we'll see more and more people who started out creating content for youtube begin to create more "mainstream" media (not that youtube isn't mainstream). But we've got an entire generation of people now who have grown up filming anything and everything in order to put it onto the internet for the world to see. I think eventually we'll start seeing some interesting film makers come out of it. Obviously isn't all going to be good. But I'm sure we'll get some gems out of it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I liked it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I haven't seen the movie, but I'll say I find Bo Burnham to be a fascinating case of success.

From youtube performer to an acclaimed comedian and now acclaimed director.

I imagine as time goes on we'll see more and more people who started out creating content for youtube begin to create more "mainstream" media (not that youtube isn't mainstream). But we've got an entire generation of people now who have grown up filming anything and everything in order to put it onto the internet for the world to see. I think eventually we'll start seeing some interesting film makers come out of it. Obviously isn't all going to be good. But I'm sure we'll get some gems out of it.

I remember first hearing about it and thinking, "wait, like the comedian? He wrote and directed a movie about what?"

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Otherlife

with Australian people

Near future-ish. Emotionally constricted hacker chick has invented nanotech that gets squirted in your eye and lets you relive X experience. It can even come with time compression. Like, say, you give your boyfriend some untested nanotech eye squirty stuff after sex and he dies? Then you can experience a year of solitary confinement as punishment in mere seconds. You can even break out and discover your business partner has built your nanotech eye squirty stuff business into a corporate titan...and wait, are you sure this prison thing is real? Are you real? Is any of this real?

zzzzzzzzzzzzsnorezzzzzzzzzzzzz...wh...wha...? Oh, was that an original idea there for a second...? No? Okay.

One of these days I'll learn to stop watching Netflix original movies. Apparently today wasn't that day.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would give it 3.5, at best. Joaquin Phoenix's character in The Master is almost more unlikeable than his character in Gladiator. At least before I turned the film off. I think it's vaguely (or 'vaguely') based on Scientology. Seymour Hoffman's character is based on a boat, just like L. Ron was (to avoid taxes and stuff).

The best performance in that film is from Amy Adams as the slightly unhinged, obsessive and unwavering emotional support for Hoffman's character.

It was a more subtle performance than Hoffman and Phoenix's bombastic exaggerations.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fahrenheit 11/9 [2018] :

Fahrenheit 11/9 starts off strong. That strength lasts for about 25 minutes. After that, it goes off in a million directions. What follows is easily one of Michael Moore's weaker documentaries.

2.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Too lazy to review so I'll just rate for now, these are all fairly solid:

Rio Bravo (1959) - 7.5/10

A Simple Favor (2018) - 7/10

Fireworks (1999) - 8/10

Manhunter (1986) - 7/10

Ivan's Childhood (1962) - 7.5/10

One of these days I'll learn to stop watching Netflix original movies. Apparently today wasn't that day.

Cancel, you'll watch much better films once you're off Netflix trust me.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Serenity
2.5 out of 4stars

Ambitious mystery/suspense film with an awkward style of delivery. The more you hear about this movie the easier the film will be spoiled for you, that's a warning if you have any interest in seeing this and that's why I will keep this review secluded from any possible spoilers. I honestly don't get the vast majority of hatred and low reviews for this film beyond the "difficult style to take in" ( which you need you're brain on to follow and it's probably a B or so on Kihei's rating list in this department) and more so twist that comes in about 2/3 of the movie. I enjoyed the film and it kept my attention throughout.

That said, I let the film and twist marinate in my head overnight to see how I felt about it, and the twist still works well and ties the film together quite well. Imperfect? Maybe. Farfetched? Not at all given the circumstances and preceding and following events. And it earns the sympathy it creates for very serious subject and brings up good points on a moral gray area and an interesting "psychological" "character study" too. Unpopular is the only good answer I have for people not liking the twist. It's far from a stupid a film. Could this film have been a good film and worked without the twist? Sure, albeit a less impacting film imo. Obviously I'd prefer a second opinion on this movie, but I am very surprised at the animosity coming in reviews for this film other than the audience feeling "duped" and angry at the twist, for the most part.

And a little bit too much naked McConaughey for me, but he's in tremendous shape so whatever. Ha.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I went with a 3/10 there.

The twist is genuinely one of the worst things I've seen in a theater, but the movie was in danger of becoming very boring. I was also surprised that the film continued for a long time after that moment occurred. The twist helps to liven up events, but overall I thought this was much too camp for modern cinema. It also seemed like Jason Clarke and Matthew McConaughey were hamming it up at every opportunity.

Now that being said, the film is worth watching for these reasons. Glad I didn't have to pay though.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
It also seemed like Jason Clarke and Matthew McConaughey were hamming it up at every opportunity.

That's kind of the point though.

This early high school aged child's mind is what's being portrayed through the characters, especially mcconaughey. McConaughey acts like he does because this child is going through and extreme internal crisis that he either escapes reality from through his game or contemplates "the major event" in real life (and the game) over how to deal with this situation. Life is hell for him, and even the game is a mind "f***" for him because what he truly wants constantly escapes him and he doesn't know the correct way to get out of his situation for his and his mom's well being and sanity. Among other psychological issues going on for the "characters" and the boy. And Clarke in the game is as he portrays him/sees him in a real life, a drunk over the top controlling monster.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I’m not going to give a rating because I don’t want to get screamed at. Can someone at least explain why this movie is so highly regarded? It was one of the most not funny comedies I’ve ever watched. Was I just not born in the right era to find it funny?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Burning [2018] :

Burning is a Korean movie based on the Japanese short story "Barn Burning".

Burning is about an awkward young man named Lee. Lee has a hard life. His mother left him when he was young, his father is a violent criminal, and Lee struggles financially.

Lee meets Shin. Shin seduces the naïve Lee and, the next thing you know, Lee is hooked. Unfortunately for Lee, Shin is trouble!

Shin has a friend named Ben - really well played by Steven Yeun of Walking Dead fame. Ben is rich, handsome, and smoooooooth.

Then, one day, Shin disappears and no one seems to care but Lee.

Did she run away? Did Shin meet a violent end? Will Lee lose his mind, trying to make sense of the puzzle that was her life?

Burning is a slow burn character study. Director Lee Chang-dong takes his time, builds tension, and leaves the viewer hanging on every scene.

Burning is easily one of the best movies of 2018 - it took a while for me to find it, but it was well worth the effort.

8.75/10

Spoken Language is Korean.

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I’m not going to give a rating because I don’t want to get screamed at. Can someone at least explain why this movie is so highly regarded? It was one of the most not funny comedies I’ve ever watched. Was I just not born in the right era to find it funny?
I NEVER thought Monty Python, nor anything that came from M.P., including this movie, was funny.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The best performance in that film is from Amy Adams as the slightly unhinged, obsessive and unwavering emotional support for Hoffman's character.

It was a more subtle performance than Hoffman and Phoenix's bombastic exaggerations.

Uh, I do have a vague recollection of such a character in the later stages of the film when I jumped forward towards the end to see if anything of interest happened. I'm too impatient sometimes. But bad films can obviously contain good elements, and vice versa. I've always said this (to people) regarding scenes, shots, props/scenography, actors, etc., when people look for new films to watch through IMDb average scores. A film with a 4.1 average can be way more interesting (with emphasis on can) than a film with an 8.2 average, and such.

Now when I write this I see The Master has a 7.1 score on IMDb, that's a bit too generous but who cares. I think the film (or the topic the film tries to build an interesting story around) could have been good with better/different focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->