Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm about to have a showing for Suspiria, Is it worth it?
Give it a shot. It's one of the most divisive movies in a while. It's not one of those movies where critics love it and general audiences hate it, there's a ton of divisiveness among everyone.

Overall I liked it, although there are some major things dragging it down. It's messy, but ultimately I think it's worth it.

This is a really nice (spoiler-heavy) review that highlights a lot of the good aspects by two people who do like the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's only the end of March and the 'Best of' lists are already starting. Rating anything is very subjective, but it's a good guide to what is out there.

The Best Movies of 2019 (So Far) << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

p.s. take a look at the SXSW list while at Rotten Tomatoes,
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/sxsw-2019-movie-scorecard/
I was going to scoff mightily at the idiocy of this and then I noticed that Godard's The Image Book made the list. And now, by god, I think it is pretty cool idea. :biglaugh:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Dirt. Interesting for this come so close on the heels of Bohemian Rhapsody. Full disclosure: I’m rarely a fan of musician bios. Most at heart just want to be a jukebox musical but feel compelled to give us the whole cliched rise-and-fall with all the same damn beats we know so well. Even if it’s not true or dramatically sanitized (cough Rhapsody cough). Then you have these a-holes. The Dirt is pretty poorly acted and passably goes through its motions. But you know what? It’s mostly honest and doesn’t have the sheen of prestige or pretention about it. It’s a dumb movie about dumb people making dumb music (that I enjoy!) that has the good sense to know it’s a dumb movie about dumb people making dumb music. It practically plays like a parody (even when it deigns to be serious). God bless them for that.

Cold War. Beautifully shot. It’s like if John LeCarre watched Richard Linklater’s Before trilogy and said, “I’d like to try my hand at something like that.”

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. Definitely an interesting story, but this bio somehow felt too long and a bit like a slog at times. As a fan of docs, the very unsubtle shade director Alex Gibney throws at Errol Morris (using his own footage/tools against him) is delightfully petty but that might be a little too inside baseball for most.

Reactions: Zeppo and kihei

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Inventor : Out For Blood In Silicon Valley [2019] :

If you thought Fyre : The Greatest Party That Never Happened was an amazing deception, you aint seen nothing yet.

Yep. Replace social-media obsessed Millennials with uber-rich white dudes. A lot of people with more money than sense.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The Meg: 7/10 No FF

I went in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. I would compare it to Godzilla or Pacific Rim. They borrowed heavily from Jurassic Park and Jaws but it wasn't too bad. Acting was sufficient for what the movie is - a fun action popcorn flick. Did not fast forward once. I kind of expected another bigger one. I think the budget ran thin. Some product placement may have helped.

The Predator: 6/10 One FF: 30 sec.

Again I went in not expecting much. It is part 50 of the series. Not really sure what I got actually. It was a multi-snack movie with a desire to fast forward only once due to being wildly unbelievable. Arnie could've kicked on any of these people. Still fun. Another in need of cash though so ...I swear one soldier was smoking as they were running around.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Meg: 7/10 No FF

I went in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. I would compare it to Godzilla or Pacific Rim. They borrowed heavily from Jurassic Park and Jaws but it wasn't too bad. Acting was sufficient for what the movie is - a fun action popcorn flick. Did not fast forward once. I kind of expected another bigger one. I think the budget ran thin. Some product placement may have helped.

The Predator: 6/10 One FF: 30 sec.

Again I went in not expecting much. It is part 50 of the series. Not really sure what I got actually. It was a multi-snack movie with a desire to fast forward only once due to being wildly unbelievable. Arnie could've kicked on any of these people. Still fun. Another in need of cash though so ...I swear one soldier was smoking as they were running around.
"FF" ??

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. Definitely an interesting story, but this bio somehow felt too long and a bit like a slog at times. As a fan of docs, the very unsubtle shade director Alex Gibney throws at Errol Morris (using his own footage/tools against him) is delightfully petty but that might be a little too inside baseball for most.
I once knew a pathological liar. A nice enough guy, but he could NOT stop lying. Small lies. Medium lies. Huge lies. He did it all the time.

It was fascinating and scary all at the same time. Fascinating because he felt he could spin his tales and get away with it. Scary because he felt he could spin his tales and get away with it.

Both Fyre and The Inventor needed to go there.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Antman and the Wasp

with Paul Rudd channeling a teenager, and other people. Notably a grey, rumpled Michael Douglas.

More Avengers-adjacent adventures from the amazing shrinking man and his much, much smarter and more capable female counterpart. And her dad. This time, there's a chick in a white costume sneaking around doing nefarious stuff and also a suited Boyd Crowder from Justified being all gangster-ish and driving a ridiculously conspicuous Escalade. The "plot" revolves around trying to rescue Michelle Pfeiffer from the quantum realm and save the white-suited chick from disappearing...or something. What struck me most was that people living in San Francisco are apparently so unobservant that nobody notices a large office building repeatedly disappearing and reappearing somewhere else. You'd think in a place where property values are as sky-high as the Bay Area someone would be keeping track of that, but oh well. Michael Pena is once again wasted as the hapless sidekick. Have a lot more respect for him having seen him as Kiki Camerena in Narcos: Mexico.

The movie equivalent of popcorn. You eat it, it's gone, and an hour later you barely remember doing it. It's lighthearted, has some laughs, and has just about zero substance.

Reactions: NyQuil

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My guess was "For f***'sakes" and I didn't know what was going on.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yup. People throwing away their money doesn't do it for me.

I wanted to know what made her tick - and the dummy who ran Fyre. That's what's interesting. Sadly, neither doc went there. Maybe they don't know.
With people like McFarland, the chick in The Inventor (which I haven't seen) and your buddy, real life just isn't like the movies in my experience. You want an origin story and an explanation for why they turned out the way they did, but often there just isn't one. Some people just do that. You ever see The Informant? Same thing. You want insight into their behaviour, but they might not even have any themselves. That's just what they do.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With people like McFarland, the chick in The Inventor (which I haven't seen) and your buddy, real life just isn't like the movies in my experience. You want an origin story and an explanation for why they turned out the way they did, but often there just isn't one. Some people just do that. You ever see The Informant? Same thing. You want insight into their behaviour, but they might not even have any themselves. That's just what they do.
That's fair.

I just believe there is a common thread and finding that common thread would be a fascinating add to the doc(s).

P.S. I saw The Informant but I don't remember much except the scene where Matt Damon's hair piece is itchy.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
That's fair.

I just believe there is a common thread and finding that common thread would be a fascinating add to the doc(s).

P.S. I saw The Informant but I don't remember much except the scene where Matt Damon's hair piece is itchy.

Criminal justice and behavioural science has been trying to find that since forever. People a lot smarter and better educated than me have spent their lives trying to figure it out. They've come up with any number of theories. But anyway, this is the movie thread.

What I remember most about The Informant was the funniest line from the promos didn't even make it into the final cut of the movie I saw. "You don't have to narrate the tapes, man!"

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I was going to scoff mightily at the idiocy of this and then I noticed that Godard's The Image Book made the list. And now, by god, I think it is pretty cool idea. :biglaugh:
I seem to remember you have an ongoing argument with someone (I think it is nameless1) about The Image Book. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say (nor the film Godard Mon Amour, you thought it was a Hazana-vicious hit job).

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I seem to remember you have an ongoing argument with someone (I think it is nameless1) about The Image Book. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say (nor the film Godard Mon Amour, you thought it was a Hazana-vicious hit job).
Right on both counts, though Nameless1 and I have rather genteel disagreements when we differ. The Image Book made a couple of other "best of year" movies lists on here, too, if memory serves (true, I was the only one to have it at #2 for the year). Here is one of my favourite reviews of the film which is considerably more helpful than my own was:

Movie review: 'The Image Book' shows Jean-Luc Godard remains an enfant terrible at 88 - The Boston Globe

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Criminal justice and behavioural science has been trying to find that since forever. People a lot smarter and better educated than me have spent their lives trying to figure it out. They've come up with any number of theories. But anyway, this is the movie thread.

What I remember most about The Informant was the funniest line from the promos didn't even make it into the final cut of the movie I saw. "You don't have to narrate the tapes, man!"

There are some universal basics, but what some realize after going through the psych/socio route is that the theories are people. Theorists arguing that it's this way, while others argue its this way! When what they are truly saying is this is how I and others like me are/think! While others are going no this how I and others like me are/think!

Lots of trees, not much forest.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Us (dir. Jordan Peele)

A bit let down by this one, to be honest. It's an effective enough high concept slasher thriller, but it's tonally messy and I never really got a sense of what Peele was exactly going for here, theme wise. Definitely doesn't reach the heights of Get Out, which I loved. Lupita N'yongo is fantastic, I liked the music and the film is overall slickly directed. But the narrative and it's execution let me down.

6/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad