Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +1

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
30 Miles From Nowhere [2019] :

Six crude, obnoxious college friends, who can barely stand each other, reunite for a funeral. Nerves are raw and they spend the first half of the movie picking at each other's scabs. They start to panic when they realize the house they're staying in, which, of course, is 30 Miles From Nowhere, in a storm, with no cell phone coverage, may be haunted by the friend they just buried.

So, what we basically have is : The Big Chill visits Salem's Lot.

30 Miles From No Where
is suppose to be a horror/comedy. For the record, I counted one laugh and two or three jumps.

4/10

(* I did NOT understand the last 5 minutes of the movie so, if anyone watches, please help me understand. *)

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
On a rewatch of Rebel Without A Cause, I discovered Sal Mineo was stabbed to death in real life.

That means the three main stars (Dean, Wood, Mineo) all suffered pretty horrific deaths at a young age.

Does anyone know of something that unlikely/sad with any other well known classics?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
On a rewatch of Rebel Without A Cause, I discovered Sal Mineo was stabbed to death in real life.

That means the three main stars (Dean, Wood, Mineo) all suffered pretty horrific deaths at a young age.

Does anyone know of something that unlikely/sad with any other well known classics?

Not to that level of tragedy off hand, but I once watched the behind-the-scenes of White Christmas, which painted a pretty sad and bleak picture for what is a beloved and joyous film. Vera-Ellen was dealing with an eating disorder and wasn't an actress by trade (she was a dancer), which caused stress. Danny Kaye just wanted affirmation from Bing Crosby and Crosby, well, he's just a massive prick by most accounts and wasn't particularly nice or supportive of anyone. So, not tragic, but an odd juxtaposition given the on screen result.

Edit: Just remembered Poltergeist -- two of the three kids died young and unexpectedly. Dominique Dunn was murdered by her boyfriend in her early 20s. Heather O'Rourke died of septic shock at age 12.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not to that level of tragedy off hand, but I once watched the behind-the-scenes of White Christmas, which painted a pretty sad and bleak picture for what is a beloved and joyous film. Vera-Ellen was dealing with an eating disorder and wasn't an actress by trade (she was a dancer), which caused stress. Danny Kaye just wanted affirmation from Bing Crosby and Crosby, well, he's just a massive prick by most accounts and wasn't particularly nice or supportive of anyone. So, not tragic, but an odd juxtaposition given the on screen result.

Edit: Just remembered Poltergeist -- two of the three kids died young and unexpectedly. Dominique Dunn was murdered by her boyfriend in her early 20s. Heather O'Rourke died of septic shock at age 12.

Ya I was thinking of Poltergeist...

Our Gang would technically qualify as it was movie shorts. I know several of them died young, but there was something like 132 cast members over the years, so some bad shit was bound to happen to some of them I suppose.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Inventor : Out For Blood In Silicon Valley [2019] :

My only reservation with this fascinating documentary : It fails to give any insight into Elizabeth Holmes. Is she a sociopath, delusional, or just a never blinking con artist?

If you thought Fyre : The Greatest Party That Never Happened was an amazing deception, you aint seen nothing yet.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Dark Tower - Haven't read any of the books, but kind of reminded me of The Talisman, which was one of my favorite of King's books as a kid. I can understand that this adaptation was crapped on, it's messy, it feels incomplete and botched, and the directing is generic. Still, for a movie without a soul, it did things differently enough that I'd watch a sequel, so I'll be very generous with it: 4/10

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Swiss Army Man - I expected to see some crazy shit but it went even further than I expected and actually surprised me with it's heart. Daniel Radcliffe really dove into this crazy role and knocked it out of the park. The soundtrack got a little too twee for me after a while but the running jokes with
Jurassic Park
ending up being worked into the music was a great touch. Definitely worth checking out and not dismissing it right off of the bat because the excessive farting makes you think it's all going to be low brow humor. I hate rating things after first viewing but I'd say on first pass I can safely give it at least a 7/10.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Us [2019] :

For a movie with such a concise title, Us is all over the map...

First, it's not scary. It's intense (the tension gave me a headache and left me shaky), suspenseful (lots of jumps), and funny (although some of the humour falls flat), but I never felt scared.

Second, the plot is a mess : Our clones come to visit, they're carrying scissors, and they're pissed off !

Last, if nothing else, Us is very entertaining and a visual feast. While not as good as Get Out, it comes close - Jordan Peele isn't afraid to make something very different.

During a time of the year when we get nothing but junk, Us will likely be the best and most memorable movie you see. While far from perfect, it's a lot of fun and well worth the price of admission.

8/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hereditary

with people who really suck at communicating and having functional relationships

Annie is an artist who builds miniatures in her gigantic house in the country with her husband and two teenage kids (even though the younger daughter has the face of a six year-old). Her mother just died after a long illness, and the two apparently didn't have much of a relationship. During a support group meeting, we learn there's a history of mental illness in the family. Like, a pretty severe one. It would explain the weird, culty stuff in grandma's things. And why mom chooses to grieve with a total stranger who flags her car down outside the meeting hall while saving her bristling hatred for her son...but oh yeah. A pretty good reason to be mad at the kid arrives very soon into the movie. And then a whole bunch of culty stuff happens.

It's either a sad portrait of mental illness destroying a family from within or an incoherent mess of an occult movie.

Really hated it.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Sorry to Bother You (2018).

Starts off as a funny and realistic depiction of a telemarketing call center. (I had the misfortune of working in similar call centers for a couple years.. so I found the protagonist's daily life relatable..) But for me, the entertaining & relatable story turns too stupid & surreal over the movie's final 30 minutes.
I guess ultimately there's a simplistic social commentary that can be gleaned from it.. but I thought the last half-hour sabotaged an otherwise good watch.
Danny Glover has a brief, but important role as a telemarketing sage.

I give the movie 4 (out of 10).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Captain Marvel (2019) - 7.5/10

Maybe it's the fact that I saw that piece of passable-but-forgettable-waste Aquaman a couple weeks ago but hey, this is pretty good. Like if I was an 11 year old, I'd absolutely love it. Still enjoyed it quite a bit but it's hard to take some Marvel scenes and dialogue seriously as an adult, they seem to be clearly telegraphing it to children and you've seen so many of the same scenes play out. But this movie gets a lot of chemistry right, some really good acting by supporting roles, action that felt much better than Aquaman albeit still too choppy, and a storyline that actually turned out to be better than the usual origin storyline albeit raising a bit too many unexplained questions for me. It feels like it fits well with the Marvel Universe too and it does a better job with humour in terms of not shoehorning it or overdoing it (cough GOTG II). Marvel's already made like 22 films, I'd say this ranks right in the middle at around 9 to 10thish for me. The middle act is probably the best, Captain Marvel feels like she gets a bit too OP late in the film, felt a bit like Man of Steel.

Also for all the supposed 'trippiness' from GOTG, this film actually has sequences that feel far more trippier, that and there's no obnoxious "hey here's a bunch of hip psychadelic 70s music" being pushed down your throat.

And why are there still like 30+ people watching this 3 week old movie during a matinee in a suburb? Like shouldn't your kids be in school right now or something? I just wanna go to an empty theatre for once.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Captain Marvel (2019) - 7.5/10

And why are there still like 30+ people watching this 3 week old movie during a matinee in a suburb? Like shouldn't your kids be in school right now or something? I just wanna go to an empty theatre for once.
Hey, I can help you with that. :D

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
One of the reason why I love watching movies on line...

Even if watching on a laptop screen is far from perfect, it's better than having some dummy talking to my left, an idiot on his cell phone in front, and someone kicking my seat from behind.

Unless I'm doing it for a social reason - a friend(s) wants to go to the movies, I won't go the theater.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Dragged across concrete: 8.5/10

Real good movie. Love Mel and Vince. They were great in this, imo. Love Zahler and the work he's been able to produce. Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 were top class, and his brilliance continues here. Probably my favourite film maker at the moment.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'll do a couple quick ones of the recent movies I've watched

A star is born (8.3 /10)

I need to preface and say I am not one to like Music Driven/Romance etc movies. But this one, wow, very good flick. Gaga can act and Cooper can sing .

------
Greenbook (8.2/10)

Very solid movie, had alot of different elements that keeps you interested. It's predictable, but that's fine.

------
Blackkklansman (7.6/10)

Quite the movie, thoroughly enjoyed myself. Interesting topic, strong acting...deserves a watch

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
One of the reason why I love watching movies on line...

Even if watching on a laptop screen is far from perfect, it's better than having some dummy talking to my left, an idiot on his cell phone in front, and someone kicking my seat from behind.

I've never really had a problem with other people being obnoxious in the theatre. They'll only make a small noise here or there and I always wear concert earplugs which will block out the quieter noises like popcorn chewing but I just prefer to watch movies alone anyways. It's easy to be engrossed in it I guess when you aren't aware of other people in the theatre which only happens when there's like less than 10.

Also I don't personally like going to the theatre much anyways because it's just uncomfortable for some reason for me but I do try to at least catch certain films like Marvel ones and go a few times an year. The 20 minute long commercials Cineplex plays at the start don't help. I have no doubt that Captain Marvel for example was waaay more enjoyable for me on the big screen than if I'd watched an mkv or blu-ray of it 3 months from now on a smaller screen.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've never really had a problem with other people being obnoxious in the theatre. They'll only make a small noise here or there and I always wear concert earplugs which will block out the quieter noises like popcorn chewing...
Does that work? Doesn't it affect your enjoyment of the movie?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I usually don't get too bugged by people making noise in a movie theatre. Doesn't happen much with my crowds anyway. Of course, there are limits. I remember being at a Julie Delpy movie, forget the title at the moment, when two teenage girls were sitting directly in front of me, texting and chatting loudly about everything from boyfriends to what was happening on the screen. At one point, one of the lassies said to the other how much she loved Julie Delpy's raincoat and wanted one for her own. I couldn't resist. I leaned forward and said, "And I am sure you would look lovely in it, but would it keep the rain out of your mouth?" They kind of quieted down after that.

Reactions: Amorgus

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I've been to the theatre approximately 100 times in the last year or so, and I've only had two problems. The theatre is right around the corner and I have the AMC pass that allows me to go three times a week for $20 a month, so I use it a lot even if I'm watching trash.

One was some guy falling asleep and snoring through Cold Pursuit.

The other was some very stupid person sitting right next to me laughing at everything in Jurassic World 2. This was by far worse than the snoring. I learned from that to never go on discount Tuesdays during the summer.

The benefit of going so often though, is that I can watch movies like Climax and Arctic in a completely empty theatre. So I'll take the bad parts.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Does that work? Doesn't it affect your enjoyment of the movie?

Yes, concert earplugs don't muffle the sound like regular earplugs, that's why they're used for concerts (or clubbing or whatever unsafe thing people do). They do a good job of evenly lowering the volume of all frequencies compared to normal earplugs which unevenly lower certain frequencies causing muffled sound.

I can hear the audio just fine with them, in fact I still consider it too loud. There are some words that I might miss because the character mumbles them but that happened even before I ever wore them, it has to do with the dialogue being unclear. There was one movie I saw at a budget theatre (Solo Star Wars) which actually sounded significantly better with the earplugs on because the volume was so loud that the audio was cracking without the earplugs.

Movies are getting increasingly louder, especially action films with even more scenes being recorded at above 100+ dB and average dB meters for films sometimes reaching above 80+ dB over the running length, especially if you see it in Imax. I don't see films often but if you do go to the cinema regularly then you're for sure gonna affect your hearing. It's strongly recommended to wear concert earplugs for concerts that are 70-90 minutes long so why wouldn't you wear it for action films which are 100-150 minutes long + trailers.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, concert earplugs don't muffle the sound like regular earplugs, that's why they're used for concerts (or clubbing or whatever unsafe thing people do). They do a good job of evenly lowering the volume of all frequencies compared to normal earplugs which unevenly lower certain frequencies causing muffled sound.

I can hear the audio just fine with them, in fact I still consider it too loud. There are some words that I might miss because the character mumbles them but that happened even before I ever wore them, it has to do with the dialogue being unclear. There was one movie I saw at a budget theatre (Solo Star Wars) which actually sounded significantly better with the earplugs on because the volume was so loud that the audio was cracking without the earplugs.

Movies are getting increasingly louder, especially action films with even more scenes being recorded at above 100+ dB and average dB meters for films sometimes reaching above 80+ dB over the running length, especially if you see it in Imax. I don't see films often but if you do go to the cinema regularly then you're for sure gonna affect your hearing. It's strongly recommended to wear concert earplugs for concerts that are 70-90 minutes long so why wouldn't you wear it for action films which are 100-150 minutes long + trailers.
Cool. I might try it myself. :thumbu:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've been to the theatre approximately 100 times in the last year or so, and I've only had two problems. The theatre is right around the corner and I have the AMC pass that allows me to go three times a week for $20 a month, so I use it a lot even if I'm watching trash.

One was some guy falling asleep and snoring through Cold Pursuit.

The other was some very stupid person sitting right next to me laughing at everything in Jurassic World 2. This was by far worse than the snoring. I learned from that to never go on discount Tuesdays during the summer.

The benefit of going so often though, is that I can watch movies like Climax and Arctic in a completely empty theatre. So I'll take the bad parts.
I use to be REALLY bad about people talking/being on cell phones, etc - like "idiot" bad. If someone was distracting more than a few times, I would go over, get in their faces, threaten to kick their teeth in. The last time it happened was a couple years ago. My brother refused to go to movies with me - because it got so bad.

Thank God for On-Line movies and my decreasing testosterone level. :oops:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad