500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
transcendental lol

what constitutes a 700 in yer book
It would just have to be perfect from beginning to end, a complete mindblowing experience at some point, make me think about how amazing art is, and leave me a changed individual. I haven't been able to give it out for a full album yet. I tried giving out 675 to some free jazz, classical, or metal, but so far it has tended to bump down to 650 or lower.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The Temper Trap - Conditions 8/10

Great alternative, indi pop album. Full of hooks, catchy harmonies, awesome melodies and solid experimental instrumentals.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Gamelan:

Various Artists - The Gamelan Music of Bali [World Music Library] 575 (not twice)

Bali is an island in Indonesia.

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Message from the Country
Album by The Move

220px-Message_from_the_Country.jpg

Genre: "Long haired power pop"

Recorded as Jeff Lynn and Roy Wood were creating ELO. (Bonus track of "Do ya" is included on the cd)

Although some might find the music dated, it is interesting to hear the embryonic development of the harmonies and instrumentation of ELO. Songs are good, well written, but none stand out as classics to me. Multi tracked vocals are well done and the songs grow on you after a few listens.

Solid 3/5

(I am finding these cd's at a local thrift store, some real gems along with the usual trash. Somebody's culling a decent collection somewhere...at 2 bucks a peice...my gain.)

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Flying Lotus
Ideas+Drafts+Loops (mixtape) - 3.5/5
Los Angeles - 3.5/5
Until the Quiet Comes - 3+/5
Cosmogramma - 3/5
Reset EP - 3-/5
Duality (as Captain Murphy) - 2.5+/5
You're Dead - 2.5/5
1983 - 2.5-/5
Pattern+Grid World EP - 2/5

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Amon Amarth: Jomsviking
Using a scale I'm making up at this very moment, I rate it 4/5 Viking drinking horns.

It'll take a few before I really know how it fares against the rest of their catalog, but it's stronger than a few from the get-go so it should get a 4.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Retreads with some movement:

Soft Machine by Soft Machine - 4.5 (Brilliant)
Station to Station by David Bowie - 4.5 (Brilliant) [Arguably the best Bowie album, alongside Low]
First Issue by Public Image Ltd - 4.0 (Perfect) [Used to write this off as a lesser PIL, but it's pretty damn close to being on the same level as Metal Box]
Third by Soft Machine - 4.0 (Perfect)
Roxy Music by Roxy Music - 4.0 (Perfect) [Like this more than For Your Pleasure, despite being a bit less ambitious/serious]
Starsailor by Tim Buckley - 3.5 (Great)
Are We Not Men? We Are Devo! by Devo - 3.5 (Great) [Grew on me]
Music From Big Pink by The Band - 3.5 (Great)
Hardcore Jollies by Funkadelic - 3.0 (Very Good)
The Dreaming by Kate Bush - 2.5 (Good)
Actor by St. Vincent - 2.0 (Positive)
Jamboree by Beat Happening - 2.0 (Positive)
Color of Spring by Talk Talk - 2.0 (Positive)
Wednesday Morning, 3AM by Simon and Garfunkel - 2.0 (Positive) [Best version of Sound of Silence, IMO]
Hounds of Love by Kate Bush - 2.0 (Positive)
Quebec by Ween - 1.5 (Neutral)
Bark Psychosis by Hex - 1.0 (Negative)

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
It would just have to be perfect from beginning to end, a complete mindblowing experience at some point, make me think about how amazing art is, and leave me a changed individual. I haven't been able to give it out for a full album yet. I tried giving out 675 to some free jazz, classical, or metal, but so far it has tended to bump down to 650 or lower.

Pretty cool. I just don't think I've ever encountered anything that I could perceive of being at that level. I suppose you could say I don't understand it - or just don't have the intellectual capacity.

Although I have had some really great reactions to music, not what I'd call transcendental, but in a way spiritual, not even necessarily grading the music as excellent... just captured a feeling and a moment, and that was usually when I was on something, acid (bad) or mushrooms (very very good) lol.

One was Burial, another was Idris Muhammad, and some Sun Ra - Atlantis or something.

Last edited:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Yes (1969). 2+/5
Blockhead's Broke Beats (2001). 2.5/5
Dream of 100 Nations by Transglobal Underground (1993). 1.5/5
Opera by Tosca (1997). 2-/5
Eliot Lipp (2004). Underrated producer. 3-/5
Debut by Björk (1993). Looks like she will join Bruce Springsteen in the club of highly acclaimed artists that I have almost no positive response to. 1.5-/5

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
For How Much Longer Do we Tolerate Mass Murder by The Pop Group - 3.0 (Very Good)
Learning to Cope with Cowardice by Mark Stewart - 3.0 (Very Good)
Slates by The Fall - 2.5 (Good)
We Are All Prostitutes by The Pop Group - 2.5 (Good)
As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade by Mark Stewart - 2.5 (Good)
Soul Mining by The The - 2.0 (Positive)
Tin Drum by Japan - 2.0 (Positive)
We Are Time by The Pop Group - 2.0 (Positive)

It's strange how it always feels like the only "The Pop Group" album that exists is Y. They have an incredible sound/sensibility (unique from everything else I've heard) that always instantly grabs me.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Pretty cool. I just don't think I've ever encountered anything that I could perceive of being at that level. I suppose you could say I don't understand it - or just don't have the intellectual capacity.

Although I have had some really great reactions to music, not what I'd call transcendental, but in a way spiritual, not even necessarily grading the music as excellent... just captured a feeling and a moment, and that was usually when I was on something, acid (bad) or mushrooms (very very good) lol.

One was Burial, another was Idris Muhammad, and some Sun Ra - Atlantis or something.
Psychedelics I would think could potentially take the musical experience to another level as a one-off thing and make something transcendental in a different sense. At that point, though, it wouldn't just be about the music anymore. That word has a lot of different meanings from religion and spirituality, to philosophy, to mathematics.

I just tried Burial: Untrue. Do you recommend anything in particular for Idris Muhammad?

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Jazz:

Sun Ra - Atlantis 475 (not twice)

Electronic:

Burial - Untrue 375 (not twice)

Punk:

Heresy / Concrete Sox - Heresy / Concrete Sox 450 (not twice)

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Mickey Mouse Operation by Little People (2006). 2/5
Exit Planet Dust by The Chemical Brothers (1995). 2.5-/5
Welcome 2 Detroit by J Dilla (2001). 2.5/5
Her's is > [sic] by Daedelus (2001). 0.5/5
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin. 3.5-/5
Matthew & Son by Cat Stevens (1967). 2/5

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If you don't mind, do you think you could list out the stuff you've rated the absolute highest? I might have asked before already, but I'm looking for another reference.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
If you don't mind, do you think you could list out the stuff you've rated the absolute highest? I might have asked before already, but I'm looking for another reference.
I haven't finished metal and I don't really want to post what I have so far yet. When I finish that I was going to post an overall post separated by genre. I'm thinking metal is going to have the most 650+'s. But other than that, right now it is only this. It has pared-down recently.

J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Claudio Arrau (piano) 650
J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Rosalyn Tureck (piano) 650 (not twice)
J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Glenn Gould (1981; piano) 650 (not twice)

I can post 625+'s for non-metal if you want more variety.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't finished metal and I don't really want to post what I have so far yet. When I finish that I was going to post an overall post separated by genre. I'm thinking metal is going to have the most 650+'s. But other than that, right now it is only this. It has pared-down recently.

J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Rosalyn Tureck (piano) 650 (not twice)
J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Glenn Gould (1981; piano) 650 (not twice)

I can post 625+'s for non-metal if you want more variety.
Sure. I just realized that I'm unaware of what your overall favorites are, and have only seen your ratings when you post some subsection of them, that's all. There's Goldberg Variations.... Future Days... some metal.... and...?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
M83 - Junk

VERY dissapointing...

Too sad to add more at this time...

At least it lives up to the name...

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Sure. I just realized that I'm unaware of what your overall favorites are, and have only seen your ratings when you post some subsection of them, that's all. There's Goldberg Variations.... Future Days... some metal.... and...?
Here it is: (625+'s excluding metal)

Classical or classically-styled:

Harold Budd / Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror (could also be considered ambient) 625
J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, performed by Murray Perahia (piano) 625 (not twice)
J.S. Bach - Bach on the Great Organ at Methuen, performed by Michael Murray 625
J.S. Bach - Toccata & Fugue: Famous Organ Works, performed by Karl Richter 625
J.S. Bach - The Art of Fugue: Fretwork, performed by Richard Boothby, Richard Campbell, Wendy Gillespie, Julia Hodgson, William Hunt, and Susanna Pell 625

Jazz:

John Coltrane - Interstellar Space 625
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme 625

Ambient:

Jon Hassell / Brian Eno - Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics 625
Earth - Earth 2 - Special Low Frequency Version (could also be considered rock) 625
Harold Budd / Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror (could also be considered classically-styled) 625
Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land 625

Rock:

Can - Future Days 625
Earth - Earth 2 - Special Low Frequency Version (could also be considered ambient) 625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad