Music: Last Album You Listened to and Rate It II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I could see that. I think there's a pretty stark divide between Radiohead at their most genius (Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer, The Bends, Moon Shaped Pool), at their most experimental (Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief), and at their... least good (Pablo Honey, King of Limbs). I think that exact order is how I'd rate them, too.
Man, I've tried so hard to like King of Limbs over the years. It's just... not good.
I feel the same way about King of Limbs. I am a big fan of the kind of music that album draws from but just can't get into that one. Their discography is great though, anything else after The Bends is worth listening to IMO.
2nd by Agitation Free (1973) - Randomly stumbled a great track a while back and now listened to the full album. It's almost perfect. The structure of songs range from extremely tight to very fluid, but always off the beaten path. A very creative if not outright strange work (Dialogue & Random is one hell of a weird song and probably the one I liked the least). The songs sound like a perfectly executed mix of naturalistic and futuristic sounds. The musicians often create these oddly melodic and different pools of sound within the song yet it never clunks. No vocals (which is just as well). Only brilliant orchestration.
@Mikey 48 @Shareefruck Are you guys familiar with this band? Since you guys both like Krautrock I think you guys should check this album out. Could see it clicking.
Standout tracks: First Communication, Laila Pt.1, Laila Pt.2, A Quiet Walk
Never heard of the band before this post. I gave the album a try and found it to be pretty good, I like the lead guitar playing and the electronics go over well most of the time. In The Silence of the Morning Sunrise and A Quiet Walk were highlights for me. Could do without the two shorter tracks though. I will give this one a few more listens.

Also agreed about MF DOOM, he's probably my favourite rap artist in terms of discography along with El-P.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Mm..Food by MF DOOM (2004) - I often fall prey to recency bias but I think this might have just usurped Illmatic as my favourite rap album of all-time....a work of utmost creativity. I love that MF DOOM's album always seem like a fully-realized concept where the actual songs themselves matter less than the fluidity of the album. Often, it's not even noticeable whether a song has ended or not and the stretch between them is blurred with their cheeky interludes. There's a novelistic quality to it. His production is also first-rate, with some quaint, metronome beats along with the more gonzo one's. Funny, clever lyricism that dazzles through a facility with words that many rappers simply do not have, even the ones who are praised for their auteur quality. MF DOOM is someone who doesn't appear to take the entire enterprise very seriously which in turn allows him a sort of absurdity that stretches the possibilities of his fertile imagination. A great conceptual work. Along with Illmatic (Nas), Super Tight (UGK) and The Ecstatic (Mos Def) I think Mm...Food is in a class of its own when it comes to my favourite rap albums. Madvillainy might be up there too.

Favorite tracks: Potholderz, Hoe Cakes, Kon Queso, One Beer, Beef Rap, Deep Fry Frenz

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Megadeth United Abominations 8/10

I just got the re-released copy on vinyl from Amazon. Far from my favourite Megadeth album but I still rate it high as it’s one of my favourite bands.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks (2010) - 3.5/5

The Coral - Butterfly House (2010) - 3/5

Breathless - Green To Blue (2012) - 3.5/5

Still Corners - Strange Pleasures (2013) - 2.5/5

Doves - The Last Broadcast (2002) - 3.5/5

Man I have great taste in music, probably.

Reactions: SonicY

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jupiter Symphony by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter) - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
The most that a classical thing has fully clicked with me so far. Would like to find more that does.

Drukqs by Aphex Twin - 4.5 (Brilliant)

I've been re-circling this one for a while now and flip-flopping between whether it's a mess or not, and the more I listen to it, the more I seem to love it. The only tracks I have reservations about are the sub-two minute interludes (not that they're off-putting or anything), and the heights are absolutely mind-blowing.

Mmm.. Food - 3.0 or 3.5 (Very Good/Great)
Immaculately produced and polished, very tasteful and understated in its appeal, but I also found it very front-loaded. The first four or five tracks were brilliant and then it seemed to lose a lot of momentum after that. Definitely prefer Madvillainy.

Rushup Edge by The Tuss (Aphex Twin) - 2.0 (Positive)

Highlights

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Jupiter Symphony by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter) - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
The most that a classical thing has fully clicked with me so far. Would like to find more that does.

Drukqs by Aphex Twin - 4.5 (Brilliant)

I've been re-circling this one for a while now and flip-flopping between whether it's a mess or not, and the more I listen to it, the more I seem to love it. The only tracks I have reservations about are the sub-two minute interludes (not that they're off-putting or anything), and the heights are absolutely mind-blowing.

Mmm.. Food - 3.0 or 3.5 (Very Good/Great)
Immaculately produced and polished, very tasteful and understated in its appeal, but I also found it very front-loaded. The first four or five tracks were brilliant and then it seemed to lose a lot of momentum after that. Definitely prefer Madvillainy.

Rushup Edge by The Tuss (Aphex Twin) - 2.0 (Positive)

Updated Top 100 Albums

5.0 (Masterpiece)
1. Tago Mago by Can
2. Lick My Decals Off, Baby by Captain Beefheart
3. Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno
4. White Light White Heat by The Velvet Underground
5. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo
6. Interstellar Space by John Coltrane
7. The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground
8. Closer by Joy Division
9. The Ascension by Glenn Branca
10. Bootleg 4: Live 1966 by Bob Dylan

11. Another Green World by Brian Eno
12. Revolver by The Beatles
13. Selected Ambient Works Vol. II by Aphex Twin
14. Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
15. A Love Supreme by John Coltrane
16. B*tches Brew by Miles Davis
17. Possible Musics by Jon Hassell
18. Future Days by Can
19. Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.
20. Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich
21. Point of Departure by Andrew Hill
22. The Real McCoy by McCoy Tyner
23. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart
24. Live at the It Club by Thelonious Monk
25. Spiritual Unity by Albert Ayler
26. Outside the Dream Syndicate by Tony Conrad
27. Marquee Moon by Television
28. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
29. On Land by Brian Eno
30. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
31. Jupiter Symphony by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Walter)
32. Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy by Brian Eno
33. Ege Bamyasi by Can
34. The Velvet Underground (Closet Mix) by The Velvet Underground
35. Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt

4.5 (Brilliant)
36. Faust IV by Faust
37. Opposite People by Fela Kuti
38. The Black Saint and Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus
39. Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan
40. Animals by Pink Floyd
41. Complete Plugged Nickel by Miles Davis Quintet
42. Neu! by Neu!
43. Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by John Coltrane
44. Third by Soft Machine
45. Complete Village Vanguard Recordings by Bill Evans Trio
46. Rockers Meets King Tubby in a Firehouse by Augustus Pablo
47. Three Ragas by Ravi Shankar
48. The Beatles (50th Anniversary Mix) by The Beatles
49. Dream Theory in Malaya by Jon Hassell
50. Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division
51. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (50th Anniversary Mix) by The Beatles
52. Music For Airports by Brian Eno
53. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
54. Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller by Captain Beefheart
55. E2-E4 by Manuel Gottsching
56. Structures From Silence by Steve Roach
57. Neu!2 (Side A) by Neu!
58. The Goldberg Variations by Jean Sebastian Bach (Gould)
59. Preludes by Debussy (Michelangeli)
60. Nocturnes by Chopin (Moravec)
61. Faust by Faust
62. In a Silent Way by Miles Davis
63. Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
64. Entertainment by Gang of Four
65. Bringing it All Back Home by Bob Dylan

4.0 (Flawless)
66. In C by Terry Riley
67. Atlantis by Sun Ra
68. After Bathing at Baxters by Jeffersson Airplane
69. Remain in Light by Talking Heads
70. Tri Repetae by Autechre
71. The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu
72. Days of Radiance by Laraaji
73. Rubber Soul by The Beatles
74. Illmatic by Nas
75. Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy
76. East of the River Nile by Augustus Pablo
77. Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Edition by Earth
78. Richard D. James Album by Aphex Twin
79. Madvillainy by Madvillain
80. Low by David Bowie
81. Disintegration Loops by William Basinski
82. The Shape of Jazz to Come by Ornette Coleman
83. Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen
84. Freewheelin' Bob Dylan by Bob Dylan
85. Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh
86. In Rainbows by Radiohead
87. Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor
88. Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
89. Treasure by Cocteau Twins
90. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
91. Suicide by Suicide
92. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Down by Public Enemy
93. In Person at the Blackhawk by Miles Davis
94. Pop by Gas
95. Zuckerzeit by Cluster
96. Brilliant Corners by Thelonious Monk
97. Hot Rats by Frank Zappa
98. Syro by Aphex Twin
99. No p***yfooting by Robert Fripp & Brian Eno
100. Ravedeath 1972 by Tim Hecker

Highlights

Weird question. Shouldn't Brilliant and Flawless be switched? Also, how come Spirit of Eden has shot up so much? Happy to see it. What tracks stand out to you on the album? And Shiny Beast?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Weird question. Shouldn't Brilliant and Flawless be switched? Also, how come Spirit of Eden has shot up so much? Happy to see it. What tracks stand out to you on the album? And Shiny Beast?
In my eyes, being free of flaws isn't anything close to the highest order of praise you can give something. I guess you can look at it like 2.5 = Largely Good, 3.0 = 100% Good, 3.5 = Largely Great, 4.0 = 100% Great (aka flaw-free), 4.5 = Largely Masterful, 5.0 = 100% Masterful.

For example.... In Rainbows is a flaw-free album for me-- everything about it is excellent and cohesive, but virtually none of the tracks on it are as good as their arguable magnum opus, Pyramid Song. If they had an album that was just as tight but with several Pyramid Song-caliber tracks, it would probably be 4.5 (Brilliant), and if they had an album where most of the tracks were that good, it would be a 5.0 (Masterpiece). Same deal with Aphex Twin and his Richard D. James Album which sounds pretty flaw-free to me but doesn't really have any tracks close to being on the level of Mt. St. Michael, Lichen, or Rhubarb.

I've always thought Spirit of Eden was pretty untouchable sonically, but Mark Hollis' voice used to bother me, which held it back-- it's gradually gotten more appealing, and now it doesn't bother me at all. Not really sure about standout tracks. I can tell you which tracks I like LESS than the others on the two albums, though (not that I think they're bad)-- "The Floppy Boot Stomp", "Tropical Hot Dog Night", and "Candle Mambo". I think the reason Shiny Beast used to be lower was because I used to let the first few tracks color my impression of the whole album-- They're fun but a lot less interesting/tasteful than the rest of it, IMO.

Did you have any standout tracks in mind for those two albums?

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fly by Yoko Ono - 1.0 (Negative)
I've always felt that Ono's music was more credible than most people gave it credit for-- I think she has valid ideas that are cool in theory (and influenced tons of better artists) but just didn't have the talent to execute them. She actually performs better in this one than she usually does and while I don't love the album overall, it actually has some good stuff. She kind of has a similar front-man approach to Damo Suzuki where she just buzzes around a groove and occassionally shrieks and mumbles along accordingly. What helps is that I adore the minimalist-punk-esque style of the three-man band of Lennon, Voormann, and Starr. Would love to hear more bands that have that sound. Unfortunately, it's heavily front-loaded, completely loses steam about half-way through, and turns into nonsensical experimental-for-the-sake-of-experimental gibberish.

Still though, some of the tracks are surprisingly endearing.

Personally, I at least have way more use/appreciation for this album than I do that Coldplay/Green Day/Eminem tier of music that people always insist was good in its prime.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
New album by Sheryl Crow called Threads. 17 duets with various artists, even managed one with the late Johnny Cash. Not bad, some interesting stuff. 6.5/10

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Went on a Lennon binge.

Favorite John Lennon Tracks
1. Tomorrow Never Knows
2. She Said She Said
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Nowhere Man
5. In My Life
6. Strawberry Fields Forever
7. Julia
8. Girl
9. Norwegian Wood
10. A Day in the Life
11. Revolution 1
12. Dear Prudence
13. Happiness is a Warm Gun
14. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
15. Mother
16. God
17. Don't Let Me Down
18. Come Together
19. Revolution 9
20. Across the Universe
21. Because
22. I Am the Walrus
23. Isolation
24. I'm So Tired
25. Good Morning Good Morning
26. #9 Dream
27. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
28. Love
29. I Want You, She's So Heavy
30. Remember
31. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
32. Watching the Wheels
33. Day Tripper
34. Glass Onion
35. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey
36. And Your Bird Can Sing
37. Woman
38. Ticket to Ride
39. Grow Old With Me
40. The Word
41. Help!
42. Hey Bulldog
43. Look at Me
44. Baby You're a Rich Man
45. Working Class Hero

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
In my eyes, being free of flaws isn't anything close to the highest order of praise you can give something. I guess you can look at it like 2.5 = Largely Good, 3.0 = 100% Good, 3.5 = Largely Great, 4.0 = 100% Great (aka flaw-free), 4.5 = Largely Masterful, 5.0 = 100% Masterful.

For example.... In Rainbows is a flaw-free album for me-- everything about it is excellent and cohesive, but virtually none of the tracks on it are as good as their arguable magnum opus, Pyramid Song. If they had an album that was just as tight but with several Pyramid Song-caliber tracks, it would probably be 4.5 (Brilliant), and if they had an album where most of the tracks were that good, it would be a 5.0 (Masterpiece). Same deal with Aphex Twin and his Richard D. James Album which sounds pretty flaw-free to me but doesn't really have any tracks close to being on the level of Mt. St. Michael, Lichen, or Rhubarb.

I've always thought Spirit of Eden was pretty untouchable sonically, but Mark Hollis' voice used to bother me, which held it back-- it's gradually gotten more appealing, and now it doesn't bother me at all. Not really sure about standout tracks. I can tell you which tracks I like LESS than the others on the two albums, though (not that I think they're bad)-- "The Floppy Boot Stomp", "Tropical Hot Dog Night", and "Candle Mambo". I think the reason Shiny Beast used to be lower was because I used to let the first few tracks color my impression of the whole album-- They're fun but a lot less interesting/tasteful than the rest of it, IMO.

Did you have any standout tracks in mind for those two albums?

Real quick off the top of my head, I Believe in You, When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy, Harry Irene but there's more. I love Candle Mambo and Tropical Hot Dog Night though. Such fun, tastefully cutesy and endearing songs with over-the-top, ballsy and creative lyrics that are entirely Beefheart, especially the latter. Love the vocals on THDN.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Bat for lashes - the haunted man (2012) - 7.5/10
Bat for lashes - two suns (2009)- 8.0/10
Faye Webster - Atlanta Millionaires Club (2019) - 7.5/10
Boy Scouts - free company (2019) - 6.0/10
Lower Dens - The competition (2019) 6.0/10
Lana Del Rey - Norman F**** Rockwell (2019) - 9.0/10
Whitney - Forever turned around (2019) - 7.0/10

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Binged some acclaimed Japanese albums.

98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare by Fishmans - 3.0 or 3.5 (Very Good/Great)

Pretty much the all-encompassing send-off that every band dreams of (one of those that pull off the best versions of the best tracks of the band's career). I mean, obviously they're technically not a Beatles-level band or anything, and the rest of their discography pales in comparison to Long Season, but it's enough to let you sink into this dream-pop slumber that gets punctuated with the perfect climax (a full and somehow superior version of Long Season, which was pretty much already perfect to begin with). On top of that, you can really feel the weight of this being the final performance and that this was a special moment.

I would imagine that if you followed this band's entire body of work from beginning to end (which I haven't), this would have been one hell of an emotional and transcendent experience.

The clear highlight (might be a favorite track for me in general):
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av31383575/

Long Season by Fishmans - 3.5 (Great)
Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms - 3.0 (Very Good)
Super Ae by Boredoms - 2.0 (Positive)
Happy End (1973) by Happy End - 2.0 (Positive)
Kazemachi Roman by Happy End - 2.0 (Positive)
0 by Ichiko Aoba - 1.5 or 2.0 (Neutral/Positive)
(not usually a fan of this kind of thing but pulls off that angelic sound very well and atmospherically-- love that there's so much room given for the songs to breath)
Fantasma by Cornelius - 1.5 (Neutral)
Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana by Shiina Ringo - 1.5 (Neutral)
Sunshower by Taeko Ohnuki - 1.0 (Negative)
(pleasant but forgettable)
Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra - 1.0 (Negative) (their version of Day Tripper is ridiculous :laugh:)

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Lana Del Rey - Norman ****ing Rockwell

7Septlistener.jpg

I give it a 9/10. This is one of those albums where I can start it from the beginning and let it play until the end with no skips. A definite recommend from me.

Reactions: stingo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan (1966) - It was okay, I guess. A couple of nice tracks but I lost interest midway through the second half...I don't dislike it, but it really doesn't do much for me either. Fairly easy listening, I don't find it particularly interesting one way or another.

Favorite tracks: Visions of Johanna, I Want You, Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine.

Might be getting some titles switched up...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never understood why Blonde on Blonde consistently seems to have as good or better of a reputation than Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited. Visions of Johanna is one of my favorite songs, but most of it is merely fun/good but not great, there are quite a few forgettable/filler-y tracks, and the final quarter is really weak, IMO. The only area it has them beat is probably sound quality/production.

Fun fact-- John Lennon became a paranoid mess after he heard Bob Dylan perform "Fourth Time Around", because he became convinced that it was Dylan's way of making fun of Norwegian Wood (which was one of his first attempts at emulating Dylan's style). There are a lot of similarities between the two songs.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Once again, finding the 2010s to be very barren (trying to find more of the supposed hidden gems people allude to, but no such luck). Death Grips are somewhat growing on me, though. I don't mind the shoutiness that everyone complains about (the primal energy is great), although I wish the guy didn't use that same voice everyone uses when they obnoxiously mock someone and try to make them sound stupid. Not sure which is the better album-- Exmilitary sounds more urgent, striking, and noteworthy but doesn't seem that tight/consistent to me, and Money Store is consistently fun but a bit less remarkable.

The Magic Place by Julianna Barwick - 2.5 (Good)
The Money Store by Death Grips - 2.0 (Positive)
Exmilitary by Death Grips - 2.0 (Positive)
Giles Corey by Giles Corey - 1.5 (Neutral)
Luxury Problems by Andy Stott - 1.5 (Neutral)
King's Night by Salem - 1.0 (Negative)
Tragedy by Julia Holter - 1.0 (Negative)
Splazsh by Actress - 1.0 (Negative)
Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar - 1.0 (Negative)
Double Cup by DJ Rashad - 1.0 (Negative)
Channel Orange by Frank Ocean - 0.5 (Bad)
The Idler Wheel by Fiona Apple - 0.5 (Bad)

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Robyn - Honey (2018) - 8.0/10
Robyn - Body Talk (2010) - 8.0/10
Taylor Swift - Lover (2019) - 6.5/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip (2009) - Two fantastic opening tracks and the album has a perfect flow to it, but I find it a little inconsistent, particularly in the middle. It kind of loses steam and doesn't feel as inspired/a little lazy/banal as compared to the beginning and end of the album. While the scope of this album isn't as large as the perfect Velocity : Design : Comfort, it is a little more tight (although I love the sprawling quality of the former) and accessible. As usual, there's some beautiful melodies accentuated by dreamy vocal perfection throughout the entire record. When at their best, I think Sweet Trip are just about the best band of the 00s. A lucidity of thought and execution that you don't see often, and Roberto Burgos and Valerie Cooper are a wonderfully synchronized artistic duo and while Burgos might be the brains behind the musical instrumentalization, he shows great judgement in allowing Cooper to be the vocal lead. Valerie Cooper and Cocteau Twins' Elizabeth Fraser are on another level when it comes to female vocalists.

Favorite tracks: Conversation of Two, Air Supply, Darkness, To the Moon, Pretending, Misfortunes Are Cruel.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I've never understood why Blonde on Blonde consistently seems to have as good or better of a reputation than Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited. Visions of Johanna is one of my favorite songs, but most of it is merely fun/good but not great, there are quite a few forgettable/filler-y tracks, and the final quarter is really weak, IMO. The only area it has them beat is probably sound quality/production.

Fun fact-- John Lennon became a paranoid mess after he heard Bob Dylan perform "Fourth Time Around", because he became convinced that it was Dylan's way of making fun of Norwegian Wood (which was one of his first attempts at emulating Dylan's style). There are a lot of similarities between the two songs.

I'm not highly familiar with Bob Dylan's discography. He's never been an artist that I found terribly intriguing. I suppose I somewhat respect (there's a better word for this) the lore like going electric and I've certainly liked some songs but heh...I always end up looking somewhere else. The Beatles kind of have a similar effect on me too (outside of some Revolver songs) and I never found Norwegian Wood to be all that, personally.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Substrata by Biosphere - 3.5 (Great)
This is great. Really understated, icy cold, unsettling atmosphere that's strangely alluring in a Twin Peaks kind of way. Don't know why it took so many tries to click.

Persian Surgery Dervishes by Terry Riley - 2.5 (Good)
Microgravity by Biosphere - 2.0 (Positive)
(fun but a bit dated)
Buchla Concerts 1975 by Suzanne Ciani - 1.5 (Neutral)
The Expanding Universe by Laurie Spiegel - 1.5 (Neutral)
_snd by Microstoria - 1.5 (Neutral)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Once again, finding the 2010s to be very barren (trying to find more of the supposed hidden gems people allude to, but no such luck). Death Grips are somewhat growing on me, though. I don't mind the shoutiness that everyone complains about (the primal energy is great), although I wish the guy didn't use that same voice everyone uses when they obnoxiously mock someone and try to make them sound stupid. Not sure which is the better album-- Exmilitary sounds more urgent, striking, and noteworthy but doesn't seem that tight/consistent to me, and Money Store is consistently fun but a bit less remarkable.

The Magic Place by Julianna Barwick - 2.5 (Good)
The Money Store by Death Grips - 2.0 or 2.5 (Positive/Good)
Exmilitary by Death Grips - 2.0 or 2.5 (Positive/Good)
Giles Corey by Giles Corey - 1.5 (Neutral)
Luxury Problems by Andy Stott - 1.5 (Neutral)
King's Night by Salem - 1.0 (Negative)
Tragedy by Julia Holter - 1.0 (Negative)
Splazsh by Actress - 1.0 (Negative)
Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar - 1.0 (Negative)
Double Cup by DJ Rashad - 1.0 (Negative)
Channel Orange by Frank Ocean - 0.5 (Bad)
The Idler Wheel by Fiona Apple - 0.5 (Bad)
Where do you find things to listen to when you go through a decade like this?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Where do you find things to listen to when you go through a decade like this?
Well, in the past, I had already gone through most of the typical best of lists that always have more or less the same familiar results. Didn't get anywhere with most of those, so now I'm trying the more off-the-beaten path eccentric stuff (this batch was from Scaruffi's list). Otherwise, I'm kind of at a loss for what the best process for doing this should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad