Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
R-13451988-1560291365-7276.jpeg.jpg

Jakob Ullmann - Fremde Zeit Addendum 5 [Performed by Lukas Rickli]

Modern Classical/Drone

The final piece in Ullmann's Foreign Time series is probably his most uncompromising display of what the composer calls 'quiet music' - music that is composed and played ever so slightly above an ambient backing soundscape. Fragile and tranquil music - so much so that it approaches complete silence at times - with an incredible otherwordly/mystical quality. In fact, had I not known it was a 'piano' piece before hearing it, I doubt I would have been able to correctly identify which instrument this was being played on.

It offers little in the way of traditional melodies, progression or movement - but it doesn't need it. In fact, those things would probably detract from the experience - this is a realm where only ambiguous and ascetic sounds are welcome.

Easily the best classical work of 2019, and Ullmann in general is moving way up on my list of favourite composers.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whoaaa..... So speaking of Ceremony, it turns out this happened in April:
New Order - New Order - Movement 'Definitive Edition'

Sound quality's excellent, and we got two versions of Ceremony that I hadn't heard before.

Really interesting-- They're closer to the Joy Division tone, even though the second one is pretty rough-- Stephen Morris is singing and he isn't great at it-- Strangely more touching and genuine that way though.

Very intrigued with how this sits with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Whoaaa..... So speaking of Ceremony, it turns out this happened in April:
New Order - New Order - Movement 'Definitive Edition'

Sound quality's excellent, and we got two versions of Ceremony that I hadn't heard before.

Really interesting-- They're closer to the Joy Division tone, even though the second one is pretty rough-- Stephen Morris is singing and he isn't great at it-- Strangely more touching and genuine that way though.

Very intrigued with how this sits with me.

Yeah, the sound's particularly clear and crisp. It sounds more bare too, which is an interesting effect. I like how weird the second version is too. Nice find.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (9/10) - buy it
Just a fantastic record, wonderfully mixed, with gorgeous, sloping, ethereal backing instrumentation. Her voice is what carries it, though - it's like the best combination of Bonnie Raitt, Anohni, and church music. I loved pretty much every song, but particularly 'Andromeda' and 'Mirror Forever'. Can't say enough positive things about this album

Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance (5/10) - stream it
Went in expecting more, as I love their back catalogue, but this felt a little shallow. I'd heard at least two of the songs as past EP's, and as another one is just a kind-of ambient interlude, there are only 4 truly new songs on the album. A few of them felt uninspired, though the opening track 'Beg for Life' is fantastic

Supergrass - I Should Coco (7/10) - stream it
I have fond memories of this album, as I was big into Britpop at its height, and my dad always spun this one. These guys always seemed to take a backseat to Oasis and Blur, and although I don't think this album reaches those heights, it's still worthy enough of the mantle. 'Alright' is a classic, but 'Mansize Rooster' takes the cake for me.

Favourite Releases of 2019
Miles Davis - The Complete Birth of Cool (Reissue)
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Sunn O))) - Life Metal
Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm super curious what kind of vinyl/stereo set-ups you guys use.

I wish I could tell you. :laugh: I'm not enough of an audiophile to be able to explain it and my record player originally belongs to my girlfriend, but the sound is great. Your inquiry makes me want to look into it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, the sound's particularly clear and crisp. It sounds more bare too, which is an interesting effect. I like how weird the second version is too. Nice find.
With the second one, if the hi-hat was slightly less aggressive, the guitar was slightly more pronounced, Morris was slightly more on-key, and everything was made just a little more pristine, I think that could have been my favorite version and closest to what I would have wanted New Order to do (The actual official New Order version may be objectively the tightest, but feels a bit over-produced to me or something). I've been listening to all the different versions recently and they're all great but a little off in one way or another.

I'm actually starting to grow really fond of this one too, even though the playing and sound quality is really rough and harsh. I think it has a vibe that feels the most "right" of all of them.

I don't think I even can pick a favorite among the different versions anymore... which is frustrating.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order - 2.0 (Positive)
Low Life by New Order - 2.0 (Positive)
Substance by New Order - 2.0 (Positive)
Movement by New Order - 1.5 (Neutral)
Technique by New Order - 1.0 (Negative)
Republic by New Order - 0.5 (Bad)

Tried these again thinking I might come around, but if I'm being honest, I don't really think too highly of New Order's music. I find them a bit overrated. The playing maintains a high standard of quality throughout, and the first three albums each have a handful of songs with great propulsive instrumentals/melodies (none of them are consistently packed with these, though), but even those have an air of cheesiness to them and have mostly lame lyrics and terrible vocals. Then after they transitioned to electronic dance music, even the instrumentals/melodies lose their luster and have this gross 80s vibe to them that I'm not a fan of.

They're still an okay/solid band, but I wouldn't necessarily even take the strongest New Order studio album tracks over the weakest Joy Division studio album tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Listening to the black midi album Schlagenheim....some very nice stuff so far. Speedway is a fantastic track. Looks like they've even recorded some stuff with Damo Suzuki.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
By June 29 1980, the three had played a short instrumental set at Manchester's Beach Club; five weeks after that, they flew to America to play the shows that Joy Division could not. Taking the bold move not to "look outside the family", all three members shared vocals, with manager Rob Gretton (who also tried out for the job) favouring Stephen for the role of singing drummer. "Rob's thing was, 'yeah, stick the drums at the front Steve!'" recalls Stephen. "But I just couldn't do it. I could play the drums and sing, but not necessarily in my own style. I actually started sounding like Al Jolson, after a while. I couldn't be consistent."

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
By June 29 1980, the three had played a short instrumental set at Manchester's Beach Club; five weeks after that, they flew to America to play the shows that Joy Division could not. Taking the bold move not to "look outside the family", all three members shared vocals, with manager Rob Gretton (who also tried out for the job) favouring Stephen for the role of singing drummer. "Rob's thing was, 'yeah, stick the drums at the front Steve!'" recalls Stephen. "But I just couldn't do it. I could play the drums and sing, but not necessarily in my own style. I actually started sounding like Al Jolson, after a while. I couldn't be consistent."
I'm curious why they decided against adding a new vocalist instead of taking on the duty themselves. If I'm not mistaken, Curtis was originally an outsider who was added to the group of three as well.

I actually suspect that I would have liked New Order more had they done that. Neither of the three are particularly strong vocalists, IMO, and I find Sumner's vocals downright annoying.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Schlagenheim by black midi (2019) - I liked it, it's got a couple of fantastic songs, but some of them would get a little too metal-y for my ears. Still, I like their approach - the album takes abrupt lefts a bit like Velocity : Design : Comfort by Sweet Trip does - without stepping into incompetent experimentation. The vocals are well-done as well. They have a grandiose quality without ever becoming annoyingly theatrical. They juggle well between rhythm, melodies and noisy freak-outs. I've added about half the album to my playlist.

Standout tracks: Western, Speedway, bmbmbm, Reggae.

Reactions: Mikey 48

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Busy week for new albums and old classics. Underlined means I own it, bought it, or am going to buy it on vinyl

NEW-ISH
Mitski - Be the Cowboy (8/10) - buy it
King Krule - OOZ (4/10) - ignore it
Zola Jesus - Okovi (6/10 - though 'Exhumed' and 'Veka' are 10/10 tracks) - stream it
U.S. Girls - In a Poem Unlimited (7/10) - stream it
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want (7/10) - stream it
Hath - Of Rot and Ruin (3/10) - ignore it
Parquet Courts - Wide Awake! (8/10) - buy it

I'd heard singles and snippets from Mitski, mainly from Puberty 2, but this was my first time diving headfirst into an album of hers, and I loved it. 'Why Didn't You Stop Me' and 'Nobody' are highlights. King Krule is a little dry and underwhelming, though I could sense he's talented on the beats. Zola Jesus was extreeeemely hit or miss for me, with some of the tracks being absolute belters, and others being pretty meh. US Girls was good, but not the greatness I'd expected from all of the recommendations it got. Same can be said of Daughters, which has a couple absolute brain-melters, but then some clear filter. Hath was disappointing and cookie cutter 2019 black metal. Parquet Courts was just good, solid, fun indie punk listening

CLASSICS
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (9/10)
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (7/10)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (9/10)

Beach House - Bloom (5/10)
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (7/10)

Hadn't listened to Queen is Dead in a while, and though the first 5 tracks are some of the best in music history, I forgot that there is a TOUCH of filler ('Cemetery Gates' & 'Vicar in a Tutu'). SftBC is the perfect example of hits being hits for a reason, as they are clearly the best tracks on the album. Godspeed's album is everything I thought it would be, but that may have had to do with my listening to it in the exact perfect environment, and the exact right time. Beach House was underwhelming and I still don't see what all the fuss is about re. King Crimson, although I appreciate it more now than I did when I was younger.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Western Stars-Bruce Springsteen

Have had this now for a few weeks. At first, I got a Ghost Of Tom Joad/Devils And Dust vibe. But it isn't that dark. The songs are a little more melodic though hardly rockers. This is not an E Street album. It is almost pleasant, that said in a good way. A bunch of good songs about people, drifting, getting older, being along, living life, just being. Not overly happy but real. I really got hooked driving alone on a six hour night trip in south Saskatchewan and the Dakotas and taking it in. If you've ever been around those parts it is desolate but peaceful. This album just clicked for me upon repeated listens in this context. Sort of a like those Jimmy Webb/Glen Campbell type "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" or "Witchita Lineman" tunes. Not overly deep but they resonate with you and in their simplicity there is beauty. And good pop songs. Definitely, a must have I'd say for Springsteen fans-not quite like anything he's done and the cliché "it grows on you" is pretty appropriate. 8.5/10.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: plank

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool has grown on me quite a bit. It's now my third favourite in their discography after In Rainbows and Kid A.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
1. Symphony No. 6 (Pathetique) by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Mravinsky) - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good)
2. Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Karajan) - 2.5 (Good)
3. Piano Concerto No. 1 by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Argerich) - 2.0 (Positive)
4. Violin Concerto by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Stern) - 1.5 (Neutral)
5. Symphony No. 5 by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Mravinsky) - 1.5 (Neutral)
6. Swan Lake Suite by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Karajan) - 1.5 (Neutral)
7. 1812 Overture by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Dorati) - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. Romeo & Juliet by Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky (Abbado) - 1.0 (Negative)

Also...

Syro by Aphex Twin - 4.0 (Flawless)
Surfing on Sine Waves by Aphex Twin (Polygon Window) - 2.0 (Positive)
Xylem Tube by Aphex Twin - 1.5 or 2.0 (Positive)
Joyrex 4 & 5 by Aphex Twin (Caustic Window) - 1.5 (Neutral)
Analogue Bubblebath by Aphex Twin (AFX) - 1.0 (Negative)
(just skimmed through these ones)

lmao

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been re-circling all of New Order's songs and I think the one that I have fewest reservations about (other than Ceremony of course) is Your Silent Face. Kind of a rip-off of Kraftwerk though-- I know it's intentionally meant to be a tribute, but you could have told me the tune was directly sampled and I would have believed you.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Another week for some new stuff and catching up on some classics.

NEW-ISH
Of Monsters and Men -
Fever Dream (4/10) - maybe stream it
KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS (7/10) - stream it
Tropical F*** Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace (7/10) - stream it
The Voidz - Virtue (6/10) - stream it
Thom Yorke - Anima (7/10) - stream it

OMAM has kind of fallen off for me, and this album was clearly their attempt at capturing the dance-alt zeitgeist. KIDS was a neat project, and I'm glad to see Cudi making good music again. Meatspace has two of my favourite pure rock songs of the decade in 'You Let My Tyres Down' and 'The Future of History', but the album flows weirdly, and is inconsistent. Voidz took a lot of chances, and it was hit or miss - same thing with Thom Yorke, where Anima felt like it could've used a touch of Jonny Greenwood to balance it out

CLASSICS
Mount Eerie -
A Crow Looked at Me (9/10) - buy it BUT listen to it first to be sure
Kvelertak - Spring Fra Livet (5/10) - ignore it
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe (7/10) - stream it
Big Black - Songs About F***ing (8/10) - stream it
Television - Marquee Moon (7/10) - stream it
Bathory - Hammerheart (9/10) - buy it
Tool - Aenima (8/10) - stream it (which you can do now!)
Tool - Lateralus (5/10) - stream the good parts

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool has grown on me quite a bit. It's now my third favourite in their discography after In Rainbows and Kid A.
I could see that. I think there's a pretty stark divide between Radiohead at their most genius (Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer, The Bends, Moon Shaped Pool), at their most experimental (Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief), and at their... least good (Pablo Honey, King of Limbs). I think that exact order is how I'd rate them, too.

Man, I've tried so hard to like King of Limbs over the years. It's just... not good.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Another week for some new stuff and catching up on some classics.

NEW-ISH
Of Monsters and Men -
Fever Dream (4/10) - maybe stream it
KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS (7/10) - stream it
Tropical F*** Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace (7/10) - stream it
The Voidz - Virtue (6/10) - stream it
Thom Yorke - Anima (7/10) - stream it

OMAM has kind of fallen off for me, and this album was clearly their attempt at capturing the dance-alt zeitgeist. KIDS was a neat project, and I'm glad to see Cudi making good music again. Meatspace has two of my favourite pure rock songs of the decade in 'You Let My Tyres Down' and 'The Future of History', but the album flows weirdly, and is inconsistent. Voidz took a lot of chances, and it was hit or miss - same thing with Thom Yorke, where Anima felt like it could've used a touch of Jonny Greenwood to balance it out

CLASSICS
Mount Eerie -
A Crow Looked at Me (9/10) - buy it BUT listen to it first to be sure
Kvelertak - Spring Fra Livet (5/10) - ignore it
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe (7/10) - stream it
Big Black - Songs About F***ing (8/10) - stream it
Television - Marquee Moon (7/10) - stream it
Bathory - Hammerheart (9/10) - buy it
Tool - Aenima (8/10) - stream it (which you can do now!)
Tool - Lateralus (5/10) - stream the good parts

Any standout tracks from Virtue and Marquee Moon? I love both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad