News Article: Lassi Thomson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I am very high on this kid. Watching him made my jaw drop because of the value you guys got at 19th OA. It was also the first time i saw highlights from him at the draft.

Reactions: MVP Tom Pyatt

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I am very high on this kid. Watching him made my jaw drop because of the value you guys got at 19th OA. It was also the first time i saw highlights from him at the draft.

He looks great, but I still think we could of had him later. Maybe traded back for him? The consensus was he was a late first round pick. So hopefully he proves us wrong.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While his 17 goals in the WHL are impressive for a D, it's worth noting that Thomson actually had less assists than his teammate Korczak, a defensive defenseman that didn't receive nearly as much quality PP time. Korczak also happens to be a 2001 born, whereas Thomson is a 2000 born.

Huge red flag as far as projecting his potential as a quality puckmover versus as a triggerman on the PP.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
While his 17 goals in the WHL are impressive for a D, it's worth noting that Thomson actually had less assists than his teammate Korczak, a defensive defenseman that didn't receive nearly as much quality PP time. Korczak also happens to be a 2001 born, whereas Thomson is a 2000 born.

Huge red flag as far as projecting his potential as a quality puckmover versus as a triggerman on the PP.
He looked pretty poised with the puck at camp but that shot is definitely legit. If he isn't an elite or great puck mover, I don't know if it's the end of the world. A trigger man on the PP is probably a greater need for us as well given who we have coming up on the left side.

Something for him to work on nonetheless.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Watching him in camp he seems to be pretty effective at moving the puck, and skating with it. Tool box is definitely there. Will be interesting to see how he does when things become more structured. First year playing NA hockey, maybe that has something to do with his numbers in Kelowna.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

That's definitely not how you project potential.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He looked pretty poised with the puck at camp but that shot is definitely legit. If he isn't an elite or great puck mover, I don't know if it's the end of the world. A trigger man on the PP is probably a greater need for us as well given who we have coming up on the left side.

Something for him to work on nonetheless.

I think we really won't know what we have in the kid until we see him in some preseason games. Or real games.

We've seen a fair number of scrimmage superstars over the years...we need to see the kid in real games against good competition.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think we really won't know what we have in the kid until we see him in some preseason games. Or real games.

We've seen a fair number of scrimmage superstars over the years...we need to see the kid in real games against good competition.
Absolutely. I just didn't know much about him and just seeing him for the first time. I liked what I saw and will wait and see on him. There's no rush with him either. Kinda like that he could go to Europe next year from junior then move up from there. Nice path to the NHL for him played out so far.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Absolutely. I just didn't know much about him and just seeing him for the first time. I liked what I saw and will wait and see on him. There's no rush with him either. Kinda like that he could go to Europe next year from junior then move up from there. Nice path to the NHL for him played out so far.

I'm kinda hoping he plays in the W. He'll get top line minutes. He might not in Finland.

So you gotta weigh playing time vs. level of competition (WHL vs. pro Finnish league).

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I'll always take higher level of competition over playing time. I mean of course there are a lot of variables to consider, and if the difference in playing time is too drastic then that's another matter, but WHL to SM Liiga is a massive difference in league quality.

Even if he'd be playing top pair, top PP, and top PK in the Dub, if he can at least crack the top four on his Finnish team and get 16-19 minutes per game in a top five league in the world, I'd prefer that.

But yeah, if he's gonna be playing bottom pairing, 13-16 minutes over there, I'd rather he stay in Kelowna.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
You don't look at a prospect's stats when projecting his potential?

Haha oh come on man, you're being just a little bit silly. Of course we all look at stats to assess a prospects potential. Most of us don't watch a fraction enough games to assess prospects live, even if we had the technical understanding that NHL scouts do.

But I just don't see where you're getting this "huge red flag" from. By comparing him to one other prospect? For one thing, you pointed out the difference in birth years - four months age difference? Is that your huge red flag?

Kaedan Korczak is a hell of a prospect in his own right, and could have easily been a first round pick (I thought he should have been). A grand total difference of five assists? Is that your huge red flag? Thomson had an even +/- rating on a bad team, while Korzcak was -8, but surely that was only because of the powerplay difference, right?

And finally, this was Korzcak's second WHL season, while Thomson was a rookie, coming over from a weaker junior league, with different playing surface dimensions (granted, Finland uses hybrid ice, so it's not as intense an adjustment as players coming from elsewhere in Europe or Russia).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll always take higher level of competition over playing time. I mean of course there are a lot of variables to consider, and if the difference in playing time is too drastic then that's another matter, but WHL to SM Liiga is a massive difference in league quality.

Even if he'd be playing top pair, top PP, and top PK in the Dub, if he can at least crack the top four on his Finnish team and get 16-19 minutes per game in a top five league in the world, I'd prefer that.

But yeah, if he's gonna be playing bottom pairing, 13-16 minutes over there, I'd rather he stay in Kelowna.
Your posts are insightful and well thought out, happy you are no longer a bystander and are actively posting. Great points.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You don't look at a prospect's stats when projecting his potential?

I’ll look at stats, I don’t read into them. Especially at the junior level they can be very deceptive. Generally I don’t have an opinion on a prospect I haven’t been able to watch much of. Definitely don’t force an opinion by looking at stats.

Reactions: Vprime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad