News Article: Lassi Thomson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
For selfish reasons, I want him to play in Kelowna, just cause the games are more accessible and the time change is more generous.

But for his development? I'm no pro but it does seem like the Finnish Liiga is the better option, as long as he actually gets the ice time. Let him play with men if he can. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in his D+2 year, kinda like Brannstrom.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I believe that if he plays in NA, it will be in Belleville. He is eligible I believe and with him signing the ELC it may be more of an option. I'm fine if he goes back to Finland, but if he's willing I'd rather him keep developing on the NA sized ice surface. It is a small part of the development, but why not keep the progression going where you ultimately want it.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I’ll look at stats, I don’t read into them. Especially at the junior level they can be very deceptive. Generally I don’t have an opinion on a prospect I haven’t been able to watch much of. Definitely don’t force an opinion by looking at stats.

Remember when Tkachuk 8 goals was a huge red flag?

Isn't it kind of the same thing here? As you are saying, there's more to stats.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Doesn’t he have some type of national service time (military) to complete in Finland? If so he may as well get it out of his way in his D+1 year and come over next year.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I'm kinda hoping he plays in the W. He'll get top line minutes. He might not in Finland.

So you gotta weigh playing time vs. level of competition (WHL vs. pro Finnish league).

His team Ilves here in Tampere sucks. It has consistently sucked for 20 years. You don't have to be much of a player to be at the top of the depth chart. Buffalo prospect Oskari Laaksonen (drafted #89 in 2017) led the team's defensemen in TOI last season. We're certainly hoping Thomson plays here in Tampere in 2019-2020. He would be a huge improvement on the Ilves roster.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
His team Ilves here in Tampere sucks. It has consistently sucked for 20 years. You don't have to be much of a player to be at the top of the depth chart. Buffalo prospect Oskari Laaksonen (drafted #89 in 2017) led the team's defensemen in TOI last season. We're certainly hoping Thomson will play here in Tampere in 2019-2020. He would be a huge improvement on the Ilves roster.

He should go play in Belleville imo.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Doesn’t he have some type of national service time (military) to complete in Finland? If so he may as well get it out of his way in his D+1 year and come over next year.

If you're a legitimate hockey star, the military service isn't much of a problem. You can just go take a couple of promo pictures in camouflage in the forest in July and that's about it. That's what Mikko Koivu for instance did, and that's also probably what guys like Barkov, Laine and Rantanen will do.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't want a kid as young as this playing full time against men in the AHL - too much, too soon IMO. I want him back in Kelowna, playing 30 minutes a night and competing for a Memorial Cup with his team as this year's host. Hopefully the club is using their leverage now to make that happen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't want a kid as young as this playing full time against men in the AHL - too much, too soon IMO. I want him back in Kelowna, playing 30 minutes a night and competing for a Memorial Cup with his team as this year's host. Hopefully the club is using their leverage now to make that happen.

Me too.

I like the idea of the kid playing on NHL-sized ice. I know the Finnish league uses a hybrid size of ice, but it's still a bit different. Getting comfortable with the speed of the NHL game and being able to make decisions half a second quicker is vital for defensemen. Even more so with the game getting faster. At this point, I'm not worried about the overall skill level of the games he's in....I want him in the fastest pace possible, and I think that would be the WHL over the Finnish league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brannstrom just played in the AHL at the same age, there is nothing wrong with 19 year olds playing in the AHL

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brannstrom just played in the AHL at the same age, there is nothing wrong with 19 year olds playing in the AHL

There is something wrong with it if they still have a lot of developing to do at a lower level.

Brannstrom already had two solid SHL seasons under his belt before he played in the AHL this year.

Lassi still has a lot to learn at the WHL level. Should spent another year in Kelowna, then play in the AHL/Finland next year.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There is something wrong with it if they still have a lot of developing to do at a lower level.

Brannstrom already had two solid SHL seasons under his belt before he played in the AHL this year.

Lassi still has a lot to learn at the WHL level. Should spent another year in Kelowna, then play in the AHL/Finland next year.
Not at all, I know that teams in the Q feel that 19 year olds that are less developed than Lassi would be fine in the AHL, even if they would be upset if they were allowed to do that.

Nothing wrong with staying in the CHL, also nothing wrong with heading to the AHL, like many guys drafted in the second half of the 1st have done recently.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
For those who have watched them play, how big of a gap is there between Lassi T and B Byram? I know LT is an offensive defenceman with an NHL shot and will be in the Finnish men's league next year, while BB is a better playmaking 2-way guy who is likely WHL bound after his ninth game.

Is the gap wrt talent level and other considerations (e.g. LT's first NA season) very significant?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Thomson confirms he will play next season for Ilves in the Finnish Liiga:

Nice. Let him play against men in his home country. He can play in Belleville next season and then with the big team the year after. That would be my timeline.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Nice. Let him play against men in his home country. He can play in Belleville next season and then with the big team the year after. That would be my timeline.

Haha well the player and his progression will have a major say in that, but yes that would be ideal.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Haha well the player and his progression will have a major say in that, but yes that would be ideal.

Given his size and skill level I think he'll push for a spot next season (20-21). Bernard-Docker will be pushing for a spot at that point in time as well. Our back-end is gonna start looking reaaalllyyy sexy soon :naughty:

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Given his size and skill level I think he'll push for a spot next season (20-21). Bernard-Docker will be pushing for a spot at that point in time as well. Our back-end is gonna start looking reaaalllyyy sexy soon :naughty:

I don't see how it can get any sexier than Borosexy!

Reactions: NyQuil

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No problem with Thomson playing in Finland this season: just don’t want to get into the ‘I’ll come over when the team wants me to play NHL minutes because I’m to good for the AHL’ thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad