Las Vegas Bellemare Hit On Kings Kyle Clifford

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Probably won't forever. I can agree with not suspending Reaves after they didn't suspend Wilson, but this is pretty unconscionable. If the league wants to crack down on hits to the head they need to be consistent.
Yeah I agree, I saw no suspension on Wilson... ok, no suspension on the Reaves hit... ok we are finally seeing some consistency...
upload_2018-12-10_12-1-50.jpeg

Reactions: HanSolo

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Pretty sure ol Parros is just throwing darts nowadays. Suspension, no suspension. I mean that's pretty textbook of what they're supposedly trying to take out of the game but I guess not. If the league doesnt send a message, the Kings should call up MacDermid and force him to send a message to Bellemare.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sometimes I have the maturity of a 12 year old :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

But I don't understand... is precedent only valid for the one season, and the next season it's something new entirely.

Though I wish they would say what they saw to say no further action...
The DOPS has never been consistent as long as I've been a fan of the game, and that's two decades worth of fandom.

It's not even a question of season to season validity. Precedent is applied almost randomly. I say almost because they did use past suspension length to calculate Wilson's and do have precedent for suspending for less time in the playoffs. But in terms of letting stuff go like this, a non decision can happen completely at random.

The NHL definitely got this one wrong. I sure don't want to lose any Knights these days the way they bounce from good to crap at random, but the standard needs to be set that hits to the head are not okay.

Pretty sure ol Parros is just throwing darts nowadays. Suspension, no suspension. I mean that's pretty textbook of what they're supposedly trying to take out of the game but I guess not. If the league doesnt send a message, the Kings should call up MacDermid and force him to send a message to Bellemare.

I'm well on the record of saying this was the wrong decision. But at least where hitting to the head is concerned, retributive justice is absolutely not the answer.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Guys like Bellemare would be very careful landing hits like that back when you had to face Brashear or Probert. Not a bad idea in other words.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The DOPS has never been consistent as long as I've been a fan of the game, and that's two decades worth of fandom.

It's not even a question of season to season validity. Precedent is applied almost randomly. I say almost because they did use past suspension length to calculate Wilson's and do have precedent for suspending for less time in the playoffs. But in terms of letting stuff go like this, a non decision can happen completely at random.

The NHL definitely got this one wrong. I sure don't want to lose any Knights these days the way they bounce from good to crap at random, but the standard needs to be set that hits to the head are not okay.

I'm well on the record of saying this was the wrong decision. But at least where hitting to the head is concerned, retributive justice is absolutely not the answer.
This is Clifford's 6th concussion in his career. If this league is not going to protect its players maybe his teammates will. (Not likely this Kings team is the softest I've ever seen)

Reactions: BigKing and KINGS17

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm surprised he didn't get 2 games for that.

Clifford got away with a headshot on Lindberg last year too.

member 147413

Surprised it took this long for someone to make a thread about it. I wasn't going to, naturally.

But yes this deserves a couple of games, I don't think he was deliberately targeting the head, but it's definitely where he made contact.

How long does it usually take before DoPS decides whether they are going to have a phone hearing?
I think it depends on how much publicity the hit gets.

Reactions: Drakon

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have a feeling that if Clifford fell instead of staying on his feet, then there would have been supplemental discipline.

Not saying that i agree with that, but it is just my gut feeling as to why there might not be any supplemental discipline.
Clifford is too tough, and too honest a hockey player to go down. A lot of players in the NHL would have immediately dived face down and stayed on the ice until the whistle was blown.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
NHL DOPS isn't even watching the games, just scanning Twitter for the most outrageous incidents to make sure everyone knows they still care.

It's insane. If you don't have a vocal fan base online, these things rarely get policed.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It's insane that that didn't even get looked at, would be really helpful if they would explain their decisions either way, ie, we saw this this and this and led us to no hearing, or we saw this this and this, call on ice was good enough etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm surprised he didn't get 2 games for that.

Clifford got away with a headshot on Lindberg last year too.

Oh boy.

Do you really want to open the Pandora's box that would be 'auditing VGK headshots to Kings in the last 12 months?'

You probably shouldn't.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
How is there no hearing on this?

At least give me an explanation, something. What's the difference between this hit and Doughty hit in the playoffs? If Tom Wilson makes this hit is it still a perfectly legal check? Is it a 40 game suspension? I don't f************* get it.

Reactions: Drakon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad